A Shining Valley - The Great Desert Lake in California

Look what arrived in the mail:
d6ZqVLJ.jpg

So, I just stumbled on this TL a little while ago. It's really nice, but I have a question: what is Texas like in this TL? Was there a Republic of Texas?

So, I just stumbled on this TL a little while ago. It's really nice, but I have a question: what is Texas like in this TL? Was there a Republic of Texas?
Well its mostly OTL, as an independent Republic briefly existed. But other than it the borders, its pretty close to OTL. TTL Texas though is very much a microcosm of the United States as a whole.

Well its mostly OTL, as an independent Republic briefly existed. But other than it the borders, its pretty close to OTL. TTL Texas though is very much a microcosm of the United States as a whole.
Cool. Also, why Ft. Worth as the capital, and not Austin like OTL? That stuck out to me, and I really like it (Ft. Worth is my favorite large city in Texas). Also, is there a "Keep [insert Texas city name here] weird" subculture like there is in OTL Austin?

Cool. Also, why Ft. Worth as the capital, and not Austin like OTL? That stuck out to me, and I really like it (Ft. Worth is my favorite large city in Texas). Also, is there a "Keep [insert Texas city name here] weird" subculture like there is in OTL Austin?
So during the early 20th century the Texan government was incredibly corrupt. So when the progressive movement came around, a Progressive governor was somehow elected and like many of his peers and fellow citizens viewed Austin as a den of corruption and wickness. Thus he made his office in Fort Worth, and made the politicians in Austin come to him. Although the usefulness of this is pretty debatable for obvious reasons, its good for PR, and when the progressive/labor union took over the National Union, the tradition stuck. So yeah the map only marks the "executive capital" and the state legislature still sits in Austin.

Also yea sure :p

So during the early 20th century the Texan government was incredibly corrupt. So when the progressive movement came around, a Progressive governor was somehow elected and like many of his peers and fellow citizens viewed Austin as a den of corruption and wickness. Thus he made his office in Fort Worth, and made the politicians in Austin come to him. Although the usefulness of this is pretty debatable for obvious reasons, its good for PR, and when the progressive/labor union took over the National Union, the tradition stuck. So yeah the map only marks the "executive capital" and the state legislature still sits in Austin.
Ooh, a double capital. I really like that!
Also yea sure:p
Alright, let's put it in Houston, because Austin is better without it, and Ft. Worth definitely doesn't need it (JK)

Just want to say I read up on this TL and it's genuinely fantastic. Fascinating premise, unique spins, and just love how it all comes down to a lake. Love the visuals and flavor of the TL, can't wait for more! Nothing but good things to say. :) Flag looks gorgeous by the way, 10/10 would buy.

Just want to say I read up on this TL and it's genuinely fantastic. Fascinating premise, unique spins, and just love how it all comes down to a lake. Love the visuals and flavor of the TL, can't wait for more! Nothing but good things to say. :) Flag looks gorgeous by the way, 10/10 would buy.
Why thank you very much! I was pretty uncertain how this would turn out, but I'm happy at least one thing happened as I imagined it would for once in my life.

Hey guys sorry for the sparse updates, but my university is starting back up in a couple of weeks and plus a ton of events in between. So I won't be able to update it as often anymore, but this isn't dead quite yet.

Hey guys sorry for the sparse updates, but my university is starting back up in a couple of weeks and plus a ton of events in between. So I won't be able to update it as often anymore, but this isn't dead quite yet.
Hope it doesn't die! This TL creates a California I actually somewhat like that seems very interesting!

Haha thanks! You've also inspired me too as a matter of fact.

Thanks! Alternate cuisine is a great way of showing the different ways culture can spread through a place, I think.

I'd love to see what music and literature are like in this world. Has the presence of a large Hispanophone territory in the US bolstered its positioning as a creator of Spanish-language art worldwide? Or do Californios looking to create head to other areas of Latin America as the Spanish 'cultural mecca'?

Thanks! Alternate cuisine is a great way of showing the different ways culture can spread through a place, I think.

I'd love to see what music and literature are like in this world. Has the presence of a large Hispanophone territory in the US bolstered its positioning as a creator of Spanish-language art worldwide? Or do Californios looking to create head to other areas of Latin America as the Spanish 'cultural mecca'?
Well let me first preface this by saying that Californio culture is very much it's own distinct entity. As a result of significant cultural fusion between Asian and American immigrants, it has made a culture distinct from the greater Hispanosphere, which is a very broad group to begin with. Nevertheless California's economic power gives it significant cultural influence across the Hispanosphere and it is one of the most influential producers of "Spanish" media in the world. However its distinct nature of Californios and their Americanized nature allows for other parts of Latin America create media closer to the culutral mainstream.