The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

I assume since AC and presumably CCR are broken up now, Queen signing to Apple shall fill the void they left. I can't say of they will be any better with the critics ITTL, but obviously since this is a Beatles timeline, we shouldn't have to worry too much about the not-Beatles, right?

I assume since AC and presumably CCR are broken up now, Queen signing to Apple shall fill the void they left. I can't say of they will be any better with the critics ITTL, but obviously since this is a Beatles timeline, we shouldn't have to worry too much about the not-Beatles, right?
I would think so.

Also, I just noticed how, with tracks like My Sweet Lord, Uncle Albert, and It Don't Come Easy, the bamd and George Martin are continuing to utilize backing vocalists like they did one Let it Be. Nice continuity!!

Also, I just noticed how, with tracks like My Sweet Lord, Uncle Albert, and It Don't Come Easy, the bamd and George Martin are continuing to utilize backing vocalists like they did one Let it Be. Nice continuity!!
I always felt the Beatles were the one band that didn't need back up singers.

Taking a day off? I understand

As I mentioned before, it's become harder to come up with events without a timeline to go off of, but I hope I've been doing a good enough job. So therefore I find myself needing more time between TL posts.

Thanks. Although I imagine they'll move farther away from that as the decade continues.

March 1972 (Beatles comeback tour announced)
A short post today/tonight but it's a big one.

March 22, 1972 - The Beatles' special taped announcement which they filmed the previous week airs on BBC TV during primetime:
The Beatles are seen sitting among their equipment inside Abbey Road's Studio One.

All four Beatles at once: Hello everyone.

Paul picks up a nearby microphone and begins to speak.

Paul: Yes, hello everybody. We are here inside Abbey Road studios in London. For the last five years, this has been a second home to us. During those years we've honed our skills as a studio group, and you all appear to have enjoyed it. Today, however, we have an announcement so special that a simple press release wouldn't do. I'll give the honors of making that announcement to John here, who as you may know started the group all those years ago. [Turns to John] Congratulations on the new baby by the way, John. [Hands John the microphone].

John: Thank you very much, Paul. Anyhow, I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but say it I will. [Chuckles] A lot of you have been asking whether we will tour again. I'm happy to say that the answer is an emphatic "yes". I'd like to announce that we will be launching a world tour next month to promote our latest album. How long has it been since we toured last?

George: [Off mic] I think six or so years.

John: Yes, yes it's been so long. I'm afraid I'll have stage fright. [All laugh as John hands the microphone to Ringo]

Ringo: Anyhow, make sure to keep a lookout for the release of the concert dates. We can't wait to see all of your lovely faces there in the crowd. [Hands the microphone to George]

George: And from me and the rest of the group, we'd like to wish you all a splendid good day.

All four Beatles wave as the tape ends.

A short post today/tonight but it's a big one.

March 22, 1972 - The Beatles' special taped announcement which they filmed the previous week airs on BBC TV during primetime:
I can imagine a few long-time fans fainting at that announcement. Sure, most would be better than the screamo fans they had in their heyday, but statistically some would just never change. Something to think about

Thursday, March 23, 1972, after school

Across the United States and Canada millions of teenagers apply for jobs as soon as school is out so they can afford tickets to the upcoming Beatles concerts and, for a lot of them, the road trips and motel rooms that will be required to get to the concerts.

Some businesses reported lines of kids that afternoon turning in applications.

Across the United States and Canada millions of teenagers apply for jobs as soon as school is out so they can afford tickets to the upcoming Beatles concerts and, for a lot of them, the road trips and motel rooms that will be required to get to the concerts.

I was only ten at the time so no way my parents were gonna let me go and unfortunately none of my older brothers and sisters were Beatles fans back then, the 60's were a waste on them.

Last edited:
I was only ten at the time so now way my parents were gonna let me go and unfortunately none of my older brothers and sisters were Beatles fans back then, the 60's were a waste on them.
My dad said he went to one of those shows, near Orlando, I believe. That's where he met my mom! (Yay, playing characters)

March 1972 - April 1972

While I think that scenario is kind of far fetched, it certainly isn't outside of the realm of reality as according to the notes on the back of the Meet The Beatles album: "In Portsmouth, the queue started 90 hours before the box office opened. Teenagers brought food, drink, blankets and transistor radios, and two determined 16-year-old girls spent four night outside to hold their place in the queue." Also, I can imagine that by this point, The Beatles' audience has matured quite a bit. Still, thanks for the post.

And now, on with the show:

March 23, 1972 - The Beatles' taped announcement airs on TV stations across the US during the afternoon. The announcement elicits excited reactions from both fans and the record buying public at large on both sides of the Atlantic. One fan says during an interview aired on WBBM-TV in Chicago: "I've... We've been waiting for this for a long time. I knew they couldn't hide in the studio forever." The taped announcement makes it way to many other countries in the coming days.

March 27, 1972 - Apple releases the official list of dates for the upcoming world tour, officially known as the All Things Must Pass Tour. However, most people refer to it as The Beatles Comeback Tour. The Beatles will open up the tour in the UK, at Wembley Stadium in London on April 18. After that, the group will play dates at various other UK venues, followed by dates in West Germany, France, US, Canada, Australia, and Japan. Note: Anyone interested in me making an actual list?

March 31, 1972 - "It Don't Come Easy" b/w "All Things Must Pass" is released in the UK as Apple R 5944. This is the second time a song with Ringo on lead vocals as been the A-Side of a Beatles single. The song reaches the #1 spot on the UK Singles chart and stays there for four weeks. This is their 19th #1 UK single and their first in two and a half years. That same day, the American venues on the The Beatles' upcoming tour report that tickets to the concerts have been selling at a very high rate. Some concert dates have already been sold out.

April 4, 1972 - "It Don't Come Easy" b/w "All Things Must Pass" is released in the US as Apple 3295. The record makes it to the #1 spot on all three music trade charts, making this their 24th #1 US single.

April 10, 1972 - The Beatles rehearse for their concert tour at Wembley Stadium in London. John says at one point "Holy hell, we got amplifiers everywhere!" Note: Any ideas as to what the setlist should be?

April 17, 1972 - Before heading out on tour, The Beatles sign Queen to Apple Records.

Last edited:
I was thinking, like in the Get Back timeline, that there should be an acoustic mini-set in the middle. Also, probably a nice 33-33-33 split between the three main songwriters, for variety. And, just for nostalgia, begin with I Wanna Hold Your Hand (or Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand in Germany lol) and end with Twist and Shout in an encore if ya want. Maybe also hire local musicians for the songs that require horns or whatever. Also, who would be the opening act?

Last edited:
Also, who would be the opening act?

Yep, Badfinger for sure.. although on some bigger outdoor shows maybe a 2nd support too? Perhaps that breaks Queen into the USA earlier than OTL.

I have a feeling to that some of the dates on the tour may intersect with other artists (Clapton, Nilsson etc) and they may have guest appearances in a show or two..

If the Beatles tour into the 1980s, I can see John wanting a few "challenging" opening acts.. not quite how Neil Young in OTL had the likes of Sonic Youth & Public Enemy open for him, but maybe some new wave bands (B52s, Talking Heads, Maybe Devo) in the late 70s-early 1980s, and up and coming Indie bands like REM or Hüsker Dü in the mid 80s instead of classic rock or top-40 acts.. but that's getting ahead of things....