Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Chapter Fourteen, Part One: 2013 In Sports & The Choice
2013 In Sports:
Super Bowl: Colts def. 49ers
World Series: Dodgers def. A’s in 7
College Football: #2 Ohio State def. #1 Stanford in Georgia Dome
Federal Bowl: Knights def. Chargers

March 18, 2014: The 2014 NFL Draft Class is widely considered one of the most talented ever scouted, but there is a question to be asked: should the Cincinnati Bengals, the holders of the first pick, take the man considered the safest option, OT Ereck Flowers, one of the two promising QBs, Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr, a dynamic DE, Jadeveon Clowney, or the controversial dual-threat quarterback Johnny Manziel, who could either invigorate or destroy any franchise he belongs to. The Bengals themselves are said to be conflicted and, although they have Tyrod Taylor under center, they could very well take a quarterback, as a way to change the overall culture of the franchise. While they’ve finished with the worst overall offensive line, it’s unknown whether they plan to draft Flowers as a fix to that problem, as many say the actual problem lies in the person that the offensive line hopes to protect. Clowney is considered a great talent that could help the Bengals on the other side of the ball, but he may not be what the Bengals need right now, they are after all one of the worst offensive teams in the NFL right now, and have been since 2009.

Chapter Fourteen, Part Two: Silent Brilliance Of A Gunslinging Smoker & Steel Scouting
March 25, 2014:

Sports Illustrated
The Silent Brilliance of Jay Cutler

Green Bay- It’s 11:45 PM at the Packers’ training facility, nearly deserted and almost totally silent. Then, a sound. It’s Jay Cutler, the Packers’ franchise player, practicing. Cutler has routinely been among the best passers in the league, although not many people would think of him when they’re asked about the best quarterbacks on the planet. Cutler has been overshadowed by prolific players like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, and Ben Roethlisberger, despite annually passing for more than 25 touchdowns and 3,500 yards. While he’s been a regular presence at the Pro Bowl, Cutler is suffering from himself, he’s a gunslinger like his predecessor, but he’s quiet, uncontroversial, and he’s not able to market himself. This is what makes his career probably the most silently brilliant one in recent memory.

Every time the Packers come into town, the opposing team gets a glimpse of the total and complete machine that Cutler is. Many don’t see him regularly, despite the Packers not winning less than ten games this century, or they just don’t pay attention to him. But every time he comes against their team, the odds are overwhelmingly in his favor, not only because they have Calvin Johnson, the best WR in the game, or because they have the best offensive line in football, but because they have him, a leader.

Cutler throws the ball precisely towards the small targets, alternating between twenty, thirty, and forty yards out. Some nights, the target is Calvin Johnson, who will stay with his quarterback to perfect their already seemingly supernatural connection, and many nights, Chris Harris, Jr., the team’s star cornerback will stay with the two, guarding Johnson. Tonight, he’s here alone.

“Favre taught me something… well, Favre taught me a lot, actually, but one thing, in particular, stuck with me. You need to have the guys on your side to make the teamwork. If you’re a dick to everyone, you’d better get used to losing, you’ll smile at a 7-9 season. If you want that 11-5, 12-4, 13-3 season, you should make a connection, and put effort into keeping it. Connections off the field make the connections on it.”

Tonight, he’s taking it easy, he’s just keeping the arms loose and the headspace clear. But he doesn’t hold back when telling the story and cause of what makes him a success:

“I’m a firm believer in practice. I practice like hell all the time because when I got here, I was picked late in the first round and I had a horrible work ethic. I was throwing at least two picks a day in practice. It got to the point that even when all the guys would play Madden, I would still be throwing interceptions in the video game. It was all mental, I wasn’t trying hard enough. I was frustrated because I was just coasting along, and then I read somewhere that I had bust written all over me, and the Packers should have either picked a guard or traded up for a guy like Vince Young. That was the turning point. I knew that if I wanted to do what I was drafted to do, take over from Favre and keep Titletown alive, I needed to work harder than everyone else, Favre included. That’s when I started to come here more often. At least three days a week in the offseason, if I can. That’s really the minimum for me.”

Cutler, who threw 34 touchdowns and 4,234 yards against only 12 picks last season, recommends transcendental meditation for people who find themselves in the same position he was in.

“It’s good, it helps you focus all your energy on the goals you most want to make happen. When I go into there, I’m thinking about everything going on, I’m overwhelmed. I meditate, and I come out focused, I think about what I’m going to do next, in practice, or if it’s a game, I’ll be like ‘I’m not throwing a pick today.’ Or ‘I’m passing for at least two touchdowns.’ It’s been working like a miracle for me.”

When asked what he plans on doing this season, Cutler is clear:

“Well, I plan on winning an MVP Award, the Joe Montana, hopefully, a Lombardi. Those are my plans. I come into the season, every season, planning for the best possible outcome. I play every game like it’s the Super Bowl and we’ve gone undefeated. Unless you do that, I don’t see the point in showing up to the game at all. I plan on continuing that, and I plan on going to Disney World after the playoffs, so I can be part of a victory parade.”

March 30, 2014: The Pittsburgh Steelers, holders of the #4 overall pick, meet with Derek Carr and Teddy Bridgewater, hoping to understand the two prospects, and what they offer, before the draft. Carr starts off the interview by running over the playbook and offering to practice outside to show them what he has in his wheelhouse, while Bridgewater’s meeting is more focused on how he plans to win the locker room and overpower the Browns. Carr’s touchdown volume attracts the team, but his tendency to misread defenses scares management, who question his ability to play in such a defense-heavy division. Bridgewater has shown less production, but his leadership skill and efficiency draw in the team, despite his lack of downfield throws and overwhelming touchdowns.

Last edited:
An Update On Sport (Part One?)
An Update On Sport

NBA: The Lakers, Spurs, Hawks, and Pacers have formed the superteams here, especially after the Lakers had their dramatic 2002-2003 collapse, which saw Shaq and Kobe both get injured mid-season in the same game against the Sonics, leading to a playoff-less season after previously winning back-to-back championships. They, against all odds, won the #1 overall pick in 2003, selecting generational talent LeBron James, completing a big three that dominates the league in 2004, helping alleviate the tensions between Shaq and Kobe. Kobe takes James under his wing, seeing the similarities between the two, while Shaq bonds with James during several public appearances together. While Kobe and Shaq still feud, it becomes less active and more of a Cold War, with the two only speaking during practice and games, allowing them to dodge drama. The Spurs, under Tim Duncan, compete with the Lakers for league supremacy, often coming up short against the "Hollywood Three", although he manages to win two rings between 2005-2010.

2003: Spurs def. Pistons

2004: Lakers def. Celtics

2005: Spurs def. Nets

2006: Lakers def. Pistons

In February 2007, Shaq gets injured, comes back in May, demands a trade, is traded to the Hornets in the off-season.

2007: Lakers def. Sixers

With the #2 overall pick, the Indiana Pacers select Kevin Durant. The Lakers trade up in the draft to select Joakim Noah #11 overall. The Spurs, meanwhile, ramp up their use of bit players and create a so-called "Team of Sixth Men", full of depth, that leads them to the second seed in the west and a dominant April and May.

2008: Spurs def. Sixers

The Pacers win the #1 overall pick, select Derrick Rose. With the #3 overall pick, the Atlanta Hawks select Russell Westbrook. With the #6 overall pick, the Pacers mortgage the house and trade up with the Nets to select Kevin Love.

2009: Lakers def. Hornets

Shaq announces his retirement after the finals, voiding the last year of his contract. With the #1 overall pick, the Houston Rockets select Blake Griffin. With the #2 overall pick, the New York Knicks select James Harden. With the #7 overall pick, the Atlanta Hawks select Stephen Curry.

2010: Pacers def. Lakers

Led by MVP Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, and Kevin Love, the "Hoosier Hell" lineup upsets the Lakers, sweeping them.

2011: Spurs def. Hawks

With the #1 overall pick, the Oklahoma City Thunder select Kyrie Irving. With the #9 overall pick, the New York Knicks select Klay Thompson. With the #13 overall pick, the Utah Jazz select Kawhi Leonard.

2012: Pacers def. Spurs

With the #1 overall pick, the Dallas Mavericks select Anthony Davis. With the #3 overall pick, the Detroit Pistons select Dame Lillard. With the #9 overall pick, the Los Angeles Clippers select André Drummond.

2013: Lakers def. Hawks

With the #4 overall pick, the Chicago Bulls select Giannis Antetokounmpo. With the #11 overall pick, the Utah Jazz select Victor Oladipo.

MLB: The Blue Jays have fallen, going from the “Empire Up North” to a team forced to tank for prospects. The collapse comes as the team’s veteran lineup gradually retires, taking away the grizzled edge that helped the team continuously make the playoffs. Will go into further detail soon.

NASCAR: Don’t really know much about this one... Dale Jr. does real good, I guess. Danica Patrick is still a thing.

Last edited:
Yes. Like the NBA Finals. And the Niners finally did something! What did Campbell do?

He threw for 36 touchdowns and 4,167 yards in the season, along with a passer rating of 102.6. The season was considered his breakout year, and he probably could have been an MVP candidate had it not been for Peyton Manning’s historic farewell tour, and Matt Ryan’s elite season in Campbell’s own division.

Oh, God, LeBron, Kobe, and Shaq on the same team?!?

That sounds good for a few years...

It was good for a few years, until Shaq got injured, and the team kept moving. He realized that they didn’t need him very much anymore, and decided that he would only be respected if he could help rebuild a team. He demanded a trade, and was dealt to the Hornets. Even then, Kobe and LeBron dominated the league, in the Finals and the MVP awards.

I wanna update on NASCAR. Lol 'm, that's my job. :p

Dude, I really, really want to understand NASCAR, I do, but it's super confusing and, honestly, I can't watch a full race. I know that if I got it, it would be more than just cars zooming around a track, but right now, it's just watching the Fast and the Furious without the story. Again, I wish I understood it. That's why I cared to include it on the update. But I just... can't.

NASCAR: Don’t really know much about this one... Dale Jr. does real good, I guess. Danica Patrick is still a thing.

At least you have Dale Jr doing really well. I'm definitely gonna try to make him win championships. As for Danica, she may stay in IndyCar and just retire from there.

Dude, I really, really want to understand NASCAR, I do, but it's super confusing and, honestly, I can't watch a full race. I know that if I got it, it would be more than just cars zooming around a track, but right now, it's just watching the Fast and the Furious without the story. Again, I wish I understood it. That's why I cared to include it on the update. But I just... can't.
I think you're overthinking this. It must come easier to some than others. If you're not enjoying watching today's racing, try watching some 80's, 90's, early to mid 00's stuff. Plenty on YouTube.

At least you have Dale Jr doing really well. I'm definitely gonna try to make him win championships. As for Danica, she may stay in IndyCar and just retire from there.

I think you're overthinking this. It must come easier to some than others. If you're not enjoying watching today's racing, try watching some 80's, 90's, early to mid 00's stuff. Plenty on YouTube.

Dale Jr. is one of the only modern guys I know, he seems to be my favorite to listen to in interviews and the such. I have Danica racing because she was such a news story, such a big thing, that without her, I see NASCAR very diminished in the face of this new, more popular NFL.

Oh, I'm most definitely overthinking this. I know about Dale Sr., Richard Petty, and the France family, but other than that, I'm just lost. Same with the whole circuit thing, the Monster Series is different from the IndyCar series, it just confuses me. The only thing I can compare it to is the English soccer hierarchy, I'm a fan of the Premier League, but I can't really even think of it in the same terms as that. Races from those days would only confuse me more, because none of those guys are still racing today.

As a former NASCAR fan, it changed after Senior died and I simply can't watch it anymore. I forget what the POD is here, but maybe Senior lives and performs a hostile takeover of NASCAR from the France Family and saves NASCAR from itself. Otherwise I see it being dead before 2030.

As a former NASCAR fan, it changed after Senior died and I simply can't watch it anymore. I forget what the POD is here, but maybe Senior lives and performs a hostile takeover of NASCAR from the France Family and saves NASCAR from itself. Otherwise I see it being dead before 2030.

There are small PODs beginning with the 2000 NFL Draft. I'll just say his death is butterflied away, and something along those lines happened. The issue is, though, that I can't really see NASCAR staying for too long either, especially as the Colts and Falcons are powerhouse teams in key NASCAR areas. Dale Sr. can't really change that. While he'll bring goodwill and change to the sport, I don't think it will last in it's current, network TV form for very long. This is even more pronounced when you consider TTL's NFL is targeting areas where NASCAR is popular.

There are small PODs beginning with the 2000 NFL Draft. I'll just say his death is butterflied away, and something along those lines happened. The issue is, though, that I can't really see NASCAR staying for too long either, especially as the Colts and Falcons are powerhouse teams in key NASCAR areas. Dale Sr. can't really change that. While he'll bring goodwill and change to the sport, I don't think it will last in it's current, network TV form for very long. This is even more pronounced when you consider TTL's NFL is targeting areas where NASCAR is popular.
The thing with NASCAR is they need to get away from fighting with the NFL. I can see some of the big races like the Daytona 500 or the Pepsi 400 still being on a Sunday but other races really need to go to some other day of the week. Honestly I could see a gentlemen's agreement between the two not to fight with each other. After the all star race in the summer NASCAR goes to say races on Friday nights, this way they aren't fighting with the NFL on Sunday. In term the NFL doesn't fuck with the idea of the Thursday night or Friday night games.

The thing with NASCAR is they need to get away from fighting with the NFL. I can see some of the big races like the Daytona 500 or the Pepsi 400 still being on a Sunday but other races really need to go to some other day of the week. Honestly I could see a gentlemen's agreement between the two not to fight with each other. After the all star race in the summer NASCAR goes to say races on Friday nights, this way they aren't fighting with the NFL on Sunday. In term the NFL doesn't fuck with the idea of the Thursday night or Friday night games.

Problem with that is there are already Thursday night games ITTL. I do agree, however, that NASCAR competing with the NFL hard will, with a doubt in my mind, end with the (at least near) extinction of NASCAR's fanbase. Again, this NFL is much more popular than IOTL. Any gentleman's agreement is initiated by NASCAR to save their ass. If it was up to Steve Young here, NASCAR would continue to be threatened by the NFL, and maybe even continue to run against games on Sunday just so NASCAR could end up with a kamikaze effect that would let the NFL take the south entirely.

Just keep reading mine. It's gonna be very interesting (even it's companion IndyCar one coming soon)

I read your's, I'm trying to follow it, and I'll continue to do so due to my respect for your writing ability and my own attempt to grasp the sport.

Chapter Fourteen, Part Three: Meetings, Meetings, Meetings & Gatorade #1
April 5, 2014: The New England Patriots, the holder of the #3 overall pick, meet with QBs Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel. They publicly show no interest in Derek Carr, privately viewing him as a gunslinger version of his draft bust brother. Bridgewater strategizes with the coaching staff, making such a positive impact that they put him at the top of their draft board. Manziel shows up late, and gives unsatisfactory answers regarding his previous legal trouble, resulting in Bob Kraft personally ending the meeting by saying “We have no space in this organization for a certifiable draft bust… your services will not be needed.”

April 8, 2014: The Kansas City Chiefs meet with Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, and Johnny Manziel. Carr says that he is ready to play for the Chiefs, and says that he can contend with Rodgers and Roethlisberger, and offers to show his townfield accuracy. Bridgewater’s meeting goes badly, as half-asses it, not believing the Chiefs, holders of the #7 overall pick and little other draft capital, will really have a chance at selecting him. Johnny Manziel arrives early to his meeting, and praises the organization, hoping to save face with at least one time. He shows off athletic moves and compares himself to Aaron Rodgers with the drive of Big Ben Roethlisberger, and downplays his controversy by saying that he was surrounded by enablers and he has new friends.

April 15, 2014:

Gatorade #1

(Chaos ensuing in the background) Hi, I’m Aaron Rodgers. You may know me for my work as the starting quarterback for the Los Angeles Raiders, my work in movies such as Inglorious Basterds, The Sunday Night Massacre, The Last Breath of Martin Lawrence, or my time as a baseball player with the Cal Golden Bears. Some ask what fuels me, and I say Gatorade. (Punches man running at him) Because Gatorade’s electrolytes allow for me to work on everything I need to (sidekicks another man), no matter what. It’s refreshing (flips guy), healthy (bashes two guys together), and, above all, it tastes great (body slams assailant). Take from me, it works.