Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really sorry, but what is the philosophy of handicapping supposed to be?

"Handicappers" are Naldorssen's equivalent of Rand's "looters". The philosophy of handicapping is things like believing that all men are equal, and therefore "handicapping" the superior men by burdening them with the obligation to treat inferiors as equals.

"Handicappers" are Naldorssen's equivalent of Rand's "looters". The philosophy of handicapping is things like believing that all men are equal, and therefore "handicapping" the superior men by burdening them with the obligation to treat inferiors as equals.
Oh, so basically what happens in Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut?

My latest project, mapping out the census of religious bodies conducted by the Census Bureau in 1890. I used the Census Bureau's own guidelines for denominational groupings, which you can read about here.

ZflyQuf.png

Although Buddhist temples did not provide membership data, Buddhists probably outnumbered Catholics in San Francisco County.

ASOIAF Standard Map.png

The known world of ASOIAF, set right before the start of the series.

NOTE: I've kept Westeros colored Targaryen red just to make political distinctions more clear. If this map were used for a game or TL that started right around 297AC, then I'd recommend changing the Targaryen red to Baratheon yellow.

My latest project, mapping out the census of religious bodies conducted by the Census Bureau in 1890. I used the Census Bureau's own guidelines for denominational groupings, which you can read about here.

Although Buddhist temples did not provide membership data, Buddhists probably outnumbered Catholics in San Francisco County.
I'd be super-interested in seeing the same thing with the 2010 census data--I know there are maps out there, but seeing them side-by-side would be informative.

Also interesting for me personally would be the 1900 census, so that you could do Hawai'i and Alaska, maybe. I'd be interested to see how Hawai'i compares to the mainland...I'd guess that Buddhism would be as big as in San Francisco, anyway.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
This is just a far-fetched irredentist proposal, calm down
Yet again we have a fellow member offering excellent advice in the hopes of keeping another member from getting caught in a crack being dismissed.

I would strongly recommend you take his advice. From now until the end of days.

This is just a far-fetched irredentist proposal, calm down
I don't know, with First Mexican Empire borders for modern US states, who could just secede from the Union. So we would just have the borders made by Texas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California. Most likely just a Mexican Empire ISOT.

And I know what you're thinking. "Oh calm down. This is just a fun thought experiment that I'm doing." But you may not know that there is loads to storytelling potential when you change up the borders, instead of the more intellectually lethargic way. I kinda have the stigma of "meh, its okay" when I see this map. There's nothing really to it. An ISOT or a more realistic border presentation would take your map a farther way, especially when you spice it up with a story.

Not the map itself was the problem, but the comment- and explanationless use of "Aztlán". So I thought it referred to the insane conspiracy theory of the same name. thanks, @CalBear , for supporting me in my piece of advice.

I don't know, with First Mexican Empire borders for modern US states, who could just secede from the Union. So we would just have the borders made by Texas, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and California. Most likely just a Mexican Empire ISOT.

And I know what you're thinking. "Oh calm down. This is just a fun thought experiment that I'm doing." But you may not know that there is loads to storytelling potential when you change up the borders, instead of the more intellectually lethargic way. I kinda have the stigma of "meh, its okay" when I see this map. There's nothing really to it. An ISOT or a more realistic border presentation would take your map a farther way, especially when you spice it up with a story.

I definitely agree. I don't mean any offense, but it's artistically lazy to just copy existing state borders. If the artist's premise is that Mexican irredentists take advantage of a collapsing United States to reclaim chunks of their long-lost territory, then he should reckon with how that would actually go through. There are big chunks of "Aztlán" that are not demographically Mexican at all, and are poor candidates to join a Mexican state.

This is an "Aztlán" (Mexico, really) I came up with on the fly, I've pruned borders based on existing demographics and political/cultural/metropolitan spheres. It is a lot more fleshed out and interesting than simply taking Mexico's 1821 borders, and it's pretty easy to do. The story borrows from one of my older works, which involves an American Rightist conspiracy, severe political polarization, and (in the 2030s) a putsch. "Aztlán" is not the only successor to the USA.

My standard disclaimer applies, this is a work of fiction and I do not endorse any ideas or concepts presented therein.

vwYMyox.png

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Yet again we have a fellow member offering excellent advice in the hopes of keeping another member from getting caught in a crack being dismissed.

I would strongly recommend you take his advice. From now until the end of days.
There seems to be some confusion regarding this post.

The member used the term "Aztlán". This term, unfortunately, is now most often seen in use by Far Right American commentators as part of one of their many conspiracy theories and verbal war on "The Other", similar to the equally idiotic "Eurabia" that keeps rearing its ugly, bigoted head. Ironically it also has come usage by some FAR LEFT groups, particularly in the U.S. Southwest.

As such it is a fairly politically charged term, one that tends to draw flames, and is very much part of the current politics prohibition. Hence the advice of one member to another to call it something else was very sound, especially since the only reason I came into the thread was report regarding the "Aztlán" post and its connection to certain U.S. bigoted commentatots and groups.

I do find it curious that people are eager to regrow Mexico northward when it also included Central America down to and including Costa Rica initially.

Meh. Considering every other map it seems has the US tearing into all of its neighbors, it's not like giga mexico is exactly out of the norm for this thread.

Meh. Considering every other map it seems has the US tearing into all of its neighbors, it's not like giga mexico is exactly out of the norm for this thread.
I'd say that's because the majority of the people on this site are Americans. Gotta expand that F R E E D O M , L I B E R T Y , A N D J U S T I C E to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.