Chapter I : Peace At Tilsit
images

CHAPTER I
PEACE IN THE EAST, WAR IN THE WEST

Napoleon Bonaparte, The Man Who Saved France, The Corsican Who Conquered Europe, The Little Corporal had just conquered Austria, Prussia and the mighty Russian Empire in almost a decade where no one had done before him. With his victories, Napoleon Bonaparte met with the defeated Russian and Prussians in Tilsit, in the middle of the Neman River, in a raft what was where the future of Europe was decided.

The Russians and Prussians were mixed when The Corsican gave them his terms of peace, with the former being relieved while the latter was horrified.

The Russians were being given light terms of peace:

1. The Creation of the Polish State of Duchy of Warsaw in Russian and Prussian Land

2. Russia joins Napoleon’s Continental System of Blockading Britain

3. The Ionian Islands were given to the French

4. Joins the Anglo-French War

170px-Alexander_I_of_Russia_by_G.Dawe_(1826,_Peterhof).jpg 115194-004-129408B6.jpg 220px-Charles-Maurice_de_Talleyrand-Périgord.png

~~~~~~~~

Napoleon was discussing his plans for Britain alongside one of his Generals, Talleyrand when a man, a balding man with sideburns entered his tent.

“Ah! Your Imperial Majesty! Come, sit alongside me and Talleyrand!” Said Napoleon, still sitting in his chair.

“Why did you call me, Your Imperial Majesty?” Said the worried Russian

“Oh, yes! Talleyrand and I was discussing that even though the treaty had been signed and accepted, I wanted to add another provision.”

Even before the Tsar could continue or object, the French Emperor continued to speak, “I have three added provisions for you, One… I would give you permission to agitate the Swedes as their bastard of a King haven’t been subdued yet and I would guarantee your conquest of Finland, if needed. Two… I will support you on the war against the Turks and per say ‘liberate’ your Slavic brothers but only if the Turks refuse to consider my peace…”

The Tsar then unexpectedly cut the Emperor, “Yes, yes I like these provisions but even I know that you need something in return?”

The Emperor smiled but it wasn’t him that said the next words but it was Talleyrand, who was sitting idly by and so said to the Russian Tsar, “Of course there is, Your Imperial Majesty! We would support you if only the Emperor would marry your dear sister, the Grand Duchess Catherina Pavlovna and that you would not only formally join the Continental System but also permanently and agree that you must not and can not do anything against the Emperor on this matter, do you agree, your Imperial Majesty?”

The Russian was shocked but quickly recovered and said to the Emperor, sweating and visibly worried, “But… Aren’t you in a loving marriage with Empress Josephine?”

The Emperor sighed and said to the Russian in a visibly sad tone, “I love My Josephine but she is old and soon to be barren and I need an heir and a wife from a highborn family and you, as my true ally can provide that! I only ask one thing in the return of many, would you not agree?”

The Tsar, still shaken, said reluctantly, “I would agree to all of your provisions but when this news catches the wind…. My court is not very supportive of you unlike me, especially my mother.”

Talleyrand then answered to him, bluntly, “Then keep your mother out of court and into a palace far but not too far from the capital as she would perceive it as negatively if you exile her but keep a keen eye on your mother and cut off her from her supporters inside the court, do you agree with this?”

Tsar Alexander sighed and said, “Yes, I’ll do it, for Russia!”

~~~~~~~

The treaty with Russia also included a secret clause in which Napoleon would encourage Russian aggression into Finland and agreeing to join the war against the Ottomans if only they opposed the mediation by the French but in return the Emperor would marry the Tsar’s sister, Grand Duchess Catherina Pavlovna as soon as the divorce with Josephine was finalized.

Meanwhile the Prussians got the heavy end of the stick with them being given harsh terms of peace even though the ever popular Prussian Queen Louise failing to convince the French Emperor to lighten the terms but thanks to one of Napoleon’s Marshal, Talleyrand, their harsh terms were reduced slightly but was still deemed by the Prussians as harsh than needed:

1. They lost half of their territories with Frances’ Ally, Saxony gaining Magdeburg, Mansfeld, The Principality of Halberstadt, County of Hohenstein, Quedlinburg and the Principalities of Hildesheim and Goslar

2. The formation of the Kingdom of Westphalia from lands of Prussia which consisted of the County of Mark, the Principality of Minden, County of Ravensberg, Lingen and Tackenberg, Cleve on the Eastern Rhine, the Principalities of East Frisia, Munster and Paderborn

3. Russia gain minor lands

4. The formation of the Duchy of Warsaw from most of the lands Prussia gained during the Partitions of Poland

5. The payment of 30,000,000 Francs

6. Prussia joins the Continental System

Even though peace in the East had been achieved, France still had her enemies in the west in the form of Great Britain, Portugal and the Kingdom of Naples remainders in Sicily. As soon as the ink dried on the Treaty of Tilsit, the Grand Armee under General Jean-Andoche Junot and their Spanish allies invaded Portugal on 19th November 1807. The invasion was a resounding success with the Portuguese leadership and nobility running away with the Royal Family to their colony of Brazil and by 30th November, Junot’s Armies had entered an empty Lisbon and he was subsequently named by Napoleon as the new Governor of Portugal. What the French didn’t realize was that the Iberians now were angry as they saw that the French as another set of invaders trying to stamp into their lives. The War in Iberia was not done yet and for that, Napoleon is not yet Master of Europe.

flight-of-the-portuguese-royal-family-from-lisbon-to-brazil-29-november-1807-before-napoleonic-forces-invaded-a-few-days-later-the-event-marked-the-start-of-the-peninsular-war-M92WH8.jpg

Attachments

• HSW_BRRM_BR9.jpg
    HSW_BRRM_BR9.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
View attachment 471779

Peace In The East, War In The West

Napoleon Bonaparte, The Man Who Saved France, The Corsican Who Conquered Europe, The Little Corporal had just conquered Austria, Prussia and the mighty Russian Empire in almost a decade where no one had done before him. With his victories, Napoleon Bonaparte met with the defeated Russian and Prussians in Tilsit, in the middle of the Neman River, in a raft what was where the future of Europe was decided.

The Russians and Prussians were mixed when The Corsican gave them his terms of peace, with the former being relieved while the latter was horrified.

1. The Creation of the Polish State of Duchy of Warsaw in Russian and Prussian Land

Peace In The East, War In The West

View attachment 471780 View attachment 471781 View attachment 471783

~~~~~~~~

Napoleon was discussing his plans for Britain alongside one of his Marshals, Talleyrand when a man, a balding man with sideburns entered his tent.

“Ah! Tsar Alexander! Come, sit alongside me and Talleyrand!” Said Napoleon, still sitting in his chair.

“Why did you call me, Your Imperial Majesty?” Said the worried Russian

“Oh, yes! Talleyrand and I was discussing that even though the treaty had been signed and accepted, I wanted to add another provision.”

Even before the Tsar could continue or object, the French Emperor continued to speak, “I have three added provisions for you, One… I would give you permission to agitate the Swedes as their bastard of a King haven’t been subdued yet and I would guarantee your conquest of Finland, if needed. Two… I will support you on the war against the Turks and per say ‘liberate’ your Slavic brothers but only if the Turks refuse to consider my peace…”

The Tsar then unexpectedly cut the Emperor, “Yes, yes I like these provisions but even I know that you need something in return?”

The Emperor smiled but it wasn’t him that said the next words but it was Talleyrand, who was sitting idly by and so said to the Russian Tsar, “Of course there is, Tsar Alexander! We would support you if only the Emperor would marry your dear sister, the Grand Duchess Catherina Pavlovna and that you would not only formally join the Continental System but also permanently and agree that you must not and can not do anything against the Emperor on this matter, do you agree, your Imperial Majesty?”

The Russian was shocked but quickly recovered and said to the Emperor, sweating and visibly worried, “But… Aren’t you in a loving marriage with Empress Josephine?”

The Corsican Emperor sighed and said to the Russian in a visibly sad tone, “I love My Josephine but she is old and soon to be barren and I need an heir and a wife from a highborn family and you, as my true ally can provide that! I only ask one thing in the return of many, would you not agree?”

The Tsar, still shaken, said reluctantly, “I would agree to all of your provisions but when this news catches the wind…. My court is not very supportive of you unlike me, especially my mother.”

Talleyrand then answered to him, bluntly, “Then keep your mother out of court and into a palace far but not too far from the capital as she would perceive it as negatively if you exile her but keep a keen eye on your mother and cut off her from her supporters inside the court, do you agree with this?”

Tsar Alexander sighed and said, “Yes, I’ll do it, for Russia!”

~~~~~~~

The treaty with Russia also included a secret clause in which Napoleon would encourage Russian aggression into Finland and agreeing to join the war against the Ottomans if only they opposed the mediation by the French but in return the Emperor would marry the Tsar’s sister, Grand Duchess Catherina Pavlovna as soon as the divorce with Josephine was finalized.

Meanwhile the Prussians got the heavy end of the stick with them being given harsh terms of peace even though the ever popular Prussian Queen Louise failing to convince the French Emperor to lighten the terms but thanks to one of Napoleon’s Marshal, Talleyrand, their harsh terms were reduced slightly but was still deemed by the Prussians as harsh than needed:

1. They lost half of their territories with Frances’ Ally, Saxony gaining Magdeburg, Mansfeld, The Principality of Halberstadt, County of Hohenstein, Quedlinburg and the Principalities of Hildesheim and Goslar

2. The formation of the Kingdom of Westphalia from lands of Prussia which consisted of the County of Mark, the Principality of Minden, County of Ravensberg, Lingen and Tackenberg, Cleve on the Eastern Rhine, the Principalities of East Frisia, Munster and Paderborn

3. Russia gain minor lands

4. The formation of the Duchy of Warsaw from most of the lands Prussia gained during the Partitions of Poland

5. The payment of 30,000,000 Francs

6. Prussia joins the Continental System

Even though peace in the East had been achieved, France still had her enemies in the west in the form of Great Britain, Portugal and the Kingdom of Naples remainders in Sicily. As soon as the ink dried on the Treaty of Tilsit, the Grand Armee under General Jean-Andoche Junot and their Spanish allies invaded Portugal on 19th November 1807. The invasion was a resounding success with the Portuguese leadership and nobility running away with the Royal Family to their colony of Brazil and by 30th November, Junot’s Armies had entered an empty Lisbon and he was subsequently named by Napoleon as the new Governor of Portugal. What the French didn’t realize was that the Iberians now were angry as they saw that the French as another set of invaders trying to stamp into their lives. The War in Iberia was not done yet and for that, Napoleon is not yet Master of Europe.

flight-of-the-portuguese-royal-family-from-lisbon-to-brazil-29-november-1807-before-napoleonic-forces-invaded-a-few-days-later-the-event-marked-the-start-of-the-peninsular-war-M92WH8.jpg

A little bit of a nitpicking: (a) Taleirand was not a marshal, (b) addressing “Tsar Alexander” is completely inappropriate, especially when coming from a diplomat like Taleirand; it should be “Your (Imperial) Majesty”. As for the painting, at the time of Tilsit Russian army did not yet use the epaulets and at Tilsit Grand Duke Constantine (person on the left in a fancy white uniform with the ribbon of St. Andrew) was wearing the common army dark green uniform (it seems that neither he nor Alexander wore a ribbon of St. Andrew on that occasion). :)

Calling Napoléon « the Corsican » would be a bit of an insult. After his family became enemies with Paoli, he didn’t want to identify with the island after that and tried to be seen as just a Frenchman after that, including adopting a French version of his name.

Chapter II : The Iberian Problem
images

CHAPTER II
The Iberian Problem

"I will not have the march of the army delayed for a single day. 20,000 men can feed themselves anywhere, even in a desert!"

- Napoleon Bonaparte

The Spanish, allies of Napoleon since 1796 and again in 1807 was steering itself into an unknown abyss thanks to Napoleon's reluctant and outright paranoid hate against the Spanish Prime Minister, Manuel Godoy and the Royal Family which he would think as Pro-British thanks to their defection in 1805 after the French defeat at Trafalgar.

Napoleon had even thought about removing the King, Carlos IV and his family for his own brother, Joseph Bonaparte, King of Naples but this was thwarted thanks to Joseph himself, his close ally, Jean Lannes and even his own mother, Letizia. They argued that a unstable Spain would be disastrous and that Joseph himself was more popular in Naples than Spain. Napoleon would then asked them who would they replace against the ever unpopular king and his Prime Minister and Joseph suggested Infante Carlos while Lannes suggested the young Infante Francisco, whom needed a regent and could be easily swayed. Napoleon accepted the plan and would plan further with Lannes.

Another problem rose in Iberia in the form of Portugal. The ancient ally of Great Britain was the last standing enemy of France left in the continent. After the peace of Tilsit, Napoleon saw a chance and after secret negotiations with the Spaniards, The Treaty of Fontainebleau which would divide Portugal into three, The Northern Kingdom of North Lusitania with the King of Etruria, Charles as its king; The South which would be called the Principality of the Algarves under Manuel Godoy and the rest which would be occupied by the French. The treaty also stipulated that the Spaniards would sent a force of The troops to be assembled for the invasion consisted of 25,000 French infantry and 3,000 cavalry. Spain would provide 24,000 infantry, 30 guns and 3,000 cavalry. The Spanish cavalry, artillery and 8,000 infantry would join the French at Alcantra then march to Lisbon. Entre Minho e Douro and Oporto would be occupied by 10,000 Spanish infantry while 6,000 invaded Portuguese Extramadura and the Algarves. To counter any English interference or Portuguese opposition, 40,000 men would assemble at Bayonne.

The Invasion of Portugal

images

Portugal as stipulated in the Secret Treaty of Fontainebleau

The planned invasion of Portugal would be commenced on 19th November 1807, a month after the secret treaty. Napoleon would send General Junot and the three divisions from Spain. Napoleon had feared either retaliation from Portugal or the British invading and so sent the General through west from Alcántara along the Tagus valley to Portugal, a distance of only 193 km instead of the safer route through Almeida and Coimbra which took 322 km. The change of route and the dangers of it costed the French 1/4th of the army straggled, 1/2 the horses died and left only 6 artillery still standing. But thanks to the faster route, Junot and his army arrived earlier than expected and captured the lightly defended town of Abrantes on November 23rd even though his army limped their way there.

Meanwhile, the Portuguese were having their own crisis with the Prince Regent, João and his government in a state of panic with the government finally being pressured by external reasons (France invading) to declare war on Britain on 20th October but then rumors came that the French and Spanish forces were invading. Another bad news came in the form of a British Navy blockading Lisbon under Admiral Sydney Smith who feared that the Portuguese fleet would fall to the French and heard of a Russian fleet under Admiral Dmitry Senyavin. The Prince Regent then sent emissaries to meet Junot on Abrantes and they would agree to a lot of the terms. Junot, sensing that the Portuguese were defeated sent 1,500 of his best men to Lisbon, tired and tattered. They entered the capital on November 30th without firing a shot and ten days later most of Junot's army entered the city. But while Junot's army was marching into Lisbon, the Prince Regent was still deciding either to surrender to the French or run to Brazil but then Admiral Smith procured a newspaper from Paris that announced the abdication of the House of Braganza which forced João, the Royal family, a number of the nobility and military with the treasury being quickly loaded and furiously as Junot's army enclosed the city. They escaped on 29th November, a mere day before the 1,500 men arrived. The escape was so chaotic that when the first troops arrived, they saw that the Portuguese left 14 carts of treasures.

When Lisbon was captured the Spanish army finally invaded through the north on December 2nd and capturing Porto by the 13th. The only resistance came from Valença but they easily gave up when news came of the flight to Brazil.

images

General Junot

Most of the Portuguese local administration would submit easily to the French but not the local populace as best exampled in December 13th when Junot, being appointed as the Governor-General of Portugal hoisted up the flag of France on the general buildings in Lisbon, people revolted but the situation calmed two days later when pressured by his own army, who didn't want a rebellion forced Junot to hoist up two flags on equal footing, the Portuguese and French flags. Another major act under Junot was the massive disbanding of the Portuguese army with recruits under one year of service and over six. But the most impactful decision of Junot was the seizure of properties of 15,000 exiled peoples who fled to Brazil and a tax levy of 30 million Francs. The latter decision was made by himself as Napoleon wanted 100 million but Junot only took 30 million as he thought that taking money would be a disaster for his administration there. He presumed correct as later accounts would suggest.

The rest of the year was filled with controlling the country and early 1808 would be a rare time of peace even though Spain was having troubles with itself.

A Spanish Dispute

images

Prime Minister Manuel Godoy

The Spaniards, a proud but dying people would become the next victim of Napoleon's unending ambition but the first victim of this tragedy would not be the king not of his children but his Prime Minister Manuel Godoy.

Godoy was extremely unpopular thanks to his low born status and many philandering in court and was especially hated by the Crown Prince, Fernando for his extreme influence over the country. For that, a group of men and the Prince would form the basis of the later Mutiny of Aranjuez.

On March 17th, soldiers under the Crown Prince would force Godoy to step down and wanted to force the king to abdicate but then the next day on March 18th, French soldiers, under the command of Joachim Murat, whom was sent by Napoleon to Portugal to reinforce the country and to pressure the Spaniards would give a letter by Napoleon addressed to the King and his family:

" I, Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of the French and King of Italy suggest to his Majesty, King Carlos and Crown Prince Fernando of Spain to renounce their respective rights to the throne and to nominate and crown Carlos' youngest son, Infante Francisco as your new king, naming Marshal Jean Lannes as the regent and to support the rise of former Prime Minister Mariano Luis de Urquijo as the next Prime Minister."

That letter and the arrival of Murat's army of 5,000 soldiers and the expected arrival of Lannes Army into Spain forced the mutineers and the Royal family to reevaluate and so on March 19th King Carlos IV, Crown Prince Fernando and Infante Carlos would renounce their rights to the Spanish crown and crowned the 14-year old Infante Francisco as King Fernando I of Spain.

images

King Francisco I of Spain

Their was mixed feelings about the Abdication at Aranjuez with most Spanish soldiers following the command of the new king and their new government especially with the former king and the former crown prince supporting him, albeit reluctantly while the younger son, Infante Carlos was persuaded by Murat and a letter by Napoleon hinted that if France won the war and if he would publicly declare and even lead soldiers in Spain against any agitators, he would be given either the Algarves or Portugal. The Prince would later declare publicly for the Frenchman and even lead forces against a rebelling army in Salamanca.

The opposition against the Aranjuez Abdication was mixed because the popular support of the Spanish government and because of a declaration by Napoleon himself that he and his armies would not intervene in Spanish affairs would demoralise most of the opposition but there was still some hope against them as the former crown prince Fernando would send letters speaking against the so-called French occupation of Madrid under Murat. These letters would be a godsend as soldiers would openly revolt against the rule of the French and would coalesced themselves in Salamanca under Francisco Javier Castãnos and would be further helped by forces under Arthur Wellesley and a Portuguese army under Bernardino Freire. Meanwhile the former crown prince himself was exiled to Paris with his family and his contacts were to be limited, effectively destroying his ability to lead.

The French would mostly stay by Napoleon's statement but as the Aranjuez letter said that only two forces came, one under Marshal Lannes and one under Marshal Soult. Lannes would meet his forces with the Spanish forces under Infante Carlos while Soult and his army would be sent to Portugal to repel any invasions (his army was sent before Wellesley came).

Lannes and Carlos would march their armies from Zaragoza on March 25th and arrived outside Salamanca on 5th April with minimal contact with the enemy. Castãnos was under the impression that Lannes would be preoccupied by a rebellion in Valencia but it was quickly snuffed out when news that Infante Carlos was leading a Napoleonic army and so the Spaniard had minimal training and a very surprised army. The general didn't anticipate the army to come so fast and so ordered a stealthy retreat in the night to flee to Galicia, where the British Navy was leading the charge.

images

General Castãnos

Castānos would slip from the town undetected until they reached about 10 km from the city when a scouting French force accidently met the escaping Spaniards and they engaged. Thanks to the bushes and a rain which bogged down the Spanish forces long enough for the French to come up both from behind and in front of them would destroy most of the army and capturing the rest with Castãnos himself being one of the captured. As the Battle of Salamanca was raging in the north, the City itself was captured by Infante Carlos thanks to the lack of soldiers left in the city thanks to Castãnos fleeing.

Another rebellion springed up in Murcia during the same time as the Castãnos Uprising but after the dramatic but short battle of Murcia where Loyalist Spanish forces under Gregorio de la Cuesta defeated a numerically superior army and surprisingly managed to win with minimal loss as the enemy themselves were either unorganized or demoralised thanks to hearing of Castãnos' defeat up north, which was a few days before the Battle of Murcia.

In the Capital Madrid, the populace seemed calm until when the masses heard about plans by then effective dictator of the city, Joachim Murat to move the Royal Family to Bayonne, which in reality was more of a plan rather than a true act. Even so, on June 1st a mass of the people rioted until reaching the palace where the former King Carlos would speak directly to the people about their concerns and that the plans were nothing to worry about but the former king was unexpectedly thrown at by rocks and stones and he was injured which worried some of the protesters, especially the priests who feared that hurting the former king would mean bad news for them and so most of the priests and many who followed them quickly backed and escaped while the remaining few still protested but now not against the Marshal but against the entirety of the Royal Family, who was called by the protesters as "Traitors to the Homeland!"

images

Murat, with the acceptance from the former king and the Prime Minister would crack down on the protesters but they themselves did not involve themselves on a brutality but when the protesters started to drag down and beat Murat's Mamlukes, he retaliated and dispersed them rather brutally. Most Spaniards brushed off the events as unneeded as they were protesting not against the French invasion but rather against the monarchy and had even hurled at a monarch and many still regarded the monarchy a essential part of everyday Spaniards lives but for those who supported it, the date would be called the Primero de Junio Uprising.

Not long after the Primero de Junio Uprising or more precisely 5th June 1808, Marshal Lannes had finally arrived in the city of Madrid. The Marshal was hailed by the populace of the city as they desired peace and harmony (and a quick withdrawal). The Marshal was stunned at the populace for hurting their former King when he was speaking for their plight and decided to act but not as many expected. He would meet the more moderate protesters, mostly priests and negotiate a peaceful discussion for the condition of the city with him declaring that Murat would leave with his army to Portugal and even sending half of his own army north to Bayonne, this satisfied the crowd. But for the more radical populace and for the people responsible for the hostilities, he would hang them all.

He also declared that a liberal constitution based upon the French Constitution would be written for the Spanish and this also cleared the heads of the liberals, especially the new Prime Minister, Luis de Urquijo whom always wanted a liberal constitution and loathed the ultra conservatives in the likes of former crown prince Fernando.

The war also struck accord with famous painter, Francisco Goya, who appalled the actions of both sides and started to paint the condition, effects and problems which have occured in his Homeland. This collection of paintings would be called "The Disasters of War."

images

images

images

Portuguese Problems

images

Battle of Roloça

In Portugal, Junot was preoccupied by a rebellion north in Porto which was led by Bernardino Freire and then came another wind of bad news that the British under Arthur Wellesley landed north of Lisbon.

The Army in Porto led by Freire was a band of unruly and new blood militiamen and so a quick victory was achieved by the recently arrived forces under Marshal Soult. Freire was hanged on August 17th 1808.

The major problem was that of the arrival of Arthur Wellesley in Portugal and had engaged with French forces in Roliça on the same day as Freire was executed. Wellesley massively outnumbered force of 14,000 troops fought against the French's 4,000. The French placed themselves on a steep hill but thanks to one Colonel Lake and his 29th Regiment of the Foot mistakenly attacked the French which proved poorly but it helped Wellesley drove off the army by sheer general offensive and a rounding maneuver which successfully repelled the French.

But then came the Battle of Vimeiro where Wellesley faced off against the combined forces of General Junot and Marshal Soult of 49,000 troops against his 14,000 troops, whom was a bit tired thanks to Roliça. Thanks to the sheer 2 to 1 odds and outmaneuvering and outgunning the British forces, Wellesley was forced to retreat north to Galicia.

Last edited:
Wellesley would be quite difficult to beat. He is really good at defensive combat along with a speciality in fighting against numerically superior forces.

But after he is dealt with, I don't think there are any other commanders who alive at the time who are on the same level as Napoleon, maybe Nelson though...

Wellesley would be quite difficult to beat. He is really good at defensive combat along with a speciality in fighting against numerically superior forces.

But after he is dealt with, I don't think there are any other commanders who alive at the time who are on the same level as Napoleon, maybe Nelson though...

Yeah you're right, that's why he'll be more important in the next update! And for who could be the French, nobody but Wellesley as Nelson's already dead!

Yeah you're right, that's why he'll be more important in the next update! And for who could be the French, nobody but Wellesley as Nelson's already dead!
There were actually other generals who managed to beat the French and were still around: Archduke Charles was doing this well before Wellesley. Not that Nelson would be relevant in the land operations.

There were actually other generals who managed to beat the French and were still around: Archduke Charles was doing this well before Wellesley. Not that Nelson would be relevant in the land operations.

Ok, I can agree with you that Archduke Charles was doing well but now that Austria is under the French sphere of influence, the Archduke would serve more of an ally rather than an enemy albeit he's a reluctant ally

Ok, I can agree with you that Archduke Charles was doing well but now that Austria is under the French sphere of influence, the Archduke would serve more of an ally rather than an enemy albeit he's a reluctant ally
Actually, this may be an interesting twist if Archduke is fighting in some campaign as Nappy’s ally: they respected each other and Charles was acting as a proxy on Napoleon’s wedding to ML.

In the French camp perhaps Davout. He was without a doubt Napoleon's best marshal. And even if he was not quite on Napoleon's level, he was at least on par with Wellesley.

Chapter III : Oh My Dear Arthur!
images

Chapter III :
Oh My Dear Arthur!

"The whole art of war consists of guessing at what is on the other side of the hill."

- Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

Later historians would say and believed that the Coalition of British, Portuguese and Allied Spaniards almost achieved their needed victory in the southern theater but as we already know that their needed victory didn't came but the familiar feeling of defeat reeled in. Their supposed victory was supposed to be on the grasp and weighted on the brilliant mind of a British officer, Arthur Wellesley but as we go deeper on this chapter, we shall know what happened to this later great statesmen of Europe.

The War in the North

Arthur Wellesley had retreated up north after he suffered a minor defeat against Marshal Soult and the Governor of Portugal. Even though his army only suffered light casualties, he concluded that his army couldn't stay in the heavily defended south and so rode north to capture the major port City of Porto.

Ever since the execution of Bernardo Freire in early 1808, the city and the surrounding areas were very much still unstable with Portuguese guerillas attacking and harassing the occupying French and Spanish forces. When Wellesley and his forces neared Porto, a flurry of guerrilla fighters joined Wellesley's file and rank, almost doubling the size of his army. The governor of Porto, a Portuguese collaborator had faced numerous attempts to kill him and many in the city harassed the Garrison, severely demoralizing both the city and the Garrison.

Wellesley had heard of these actions and the effects it had on the city thanks to his new Portuguese allies and so he sent a negotiator to meet with the governor to if possible find an easy way to capture the defended city. The messenger met with the governor and he was given great terms like that his Garrison could peacefully leave the city but without their guns and the arrest of the governor himself. He obviously refused, thinking that he didn't want to be imprisoned but his actions backfired as word spread of the negotiations and the people rioted, forcing the governor and the Garrison on high alert and divided their attention, which helped Wellesley.

The Battles of Porto

images

The First Siege of Porto started with a bombardment of the city. The bombing itself was light but severely demoralizing the already low morale army of the garrison, a strategy in which Wellesley did deliberately so that both sides would have minimal casualties and the city's defenses would be unscathed as to preserve her for future sieges and use. The tactic proved a success as the week after, the garrison surrendered after they couped the governor and installed one of their own as the new governor of Porto. Wellesley proved that a stressed and endangered town would surrender easily as his troops only lost 34 men, mostly because of illness with the Portuguese garrison losing 200 soldiers while the city stood undamaged.

The soldiers were allowed either to go back home or to stay alongside Wellesley to defend the city, the garrison of 2,000 me stayed with Wellesley and they surprisingly brought their families back to Porto, a sign that many feared that the Portuguese would surrender. Arthur Wellesley and his forces would replenish in the city for three weeks but while they're were replenishing and capturing surrounding towns and villages, a Franco-Spanish force under the governor of Portugal, General Junot was marching to retake the city.

On 10th October 1808, General Junot and 40,000 French and Spanish forces reached Porto and was met with Wellesley's forces of 35,000 soldiers, excluding some in the countryside recruiting much needed Portuguese men for the upcoming defense of the north. Junot would sent a messenger, like what Wellesley had done a mere month ago, with the same terms plus the expulsion of the British army. Wellesley smelled mole after he read the message and he immediately inspected his army, both British and Portuguese weren't safe and he finally found the mole, three Portuguese men and a disguised Frenchman. They were sending messages to the British through a tunnel under the city which gave valuable Intel and the plans for the city. Wellesley reacted quickly by executing the traitors, hanged them and put them on the walls of the city to signal the French and quickly destroyed the tunnel and repaired what he could.

The Second Siege of Porto or the Battle of the Green Fields was a tough battle, not for the besieged British but for the sieging French as the British were well supplied thanks to the city's port and Wellesley preparing for a siege while the French faced fears of either an attack from the Coalition held North of Galicia or the Portuguese guerillas harassing them, which was getting more powerful and deadlier by the day.

The siege officially started only on October 15, five days after the ultimatum and or negotiations with the heavy bombardment of the city, with light casualties coming from Wellesley's Portuguese forces, mostly because that Wellesley stationed the Portuguese near the walls and so been the most bombarded by the French. What the French didn't know about was the massing of about 6,700 British and Portuguese soldiers and mere militias forming in the west under the command of Rowland Hill, Viscount Hill.

images

Rowland Hill, an early leader of the guerilla tactics

Hill had been the second in command of Wellesley in Portugal and was outside the city, recruiting and collecting supplies when the French arrived and so he stayed out with his 2,000 British soldiers and for almost a month recruiting the locals for his army. One day, Hill received a message from Wellesley commanding him to attack the French as to draw them far enough from the city for the British to retaliate and if possible defeat Junot's army. Hill then for a week mercilessly attack and butchered Junot's army and was deemed so deadly for he murdered more than 4,000 soldiers and destroyed tons of supplies. Junot, wanting to pacify the surrounding countryside and to murder Hill and his band of men, set out of his camp, only leaving a token force to continue the siege, Wellesley's plan had worked successfully.

images

Sir Rowland Hill Militiamen struck fear upon the French during the War and had effectively one of the first guerilla leaders

Wellesley, seeing that Junot had left the camp with most of his men, attacked the remaining forces on the bright moon of October 27 1808. He and a small cavalry detachment attacked head on against the tired and sleepy forces while a infantry division moved up from the rear east and surprised them, butchering almost to 2,000 French and Spanish soldiers and capturing almost 7,500 men.

In the east, Hill had made hell for Junot as he crossed into a forest and he was subsequently ambushed which resulted in a hundred dead men but still Hill wasn't captured and still he marched until Junot finally faced Sir Rowland Hill and his ragtag army in a green open field but the British was the one who led them into an open field and Hill knows this and so he made defenses such as a barricade out of wood to hold bullets piercing through, spikes to defend the front and he put mud near his position as to slow down Junot's army. Junot meanwhile was headstrong and thought that his superior numbers could win him this battle but he knew that it was entirely possible for a surprise attack from behind, so he marched his army ever closer to Hill but he made his army into a square position as to defend any side from attack.

But then Junot received a report, not about Wellesley but about a breach in the defense, that in the Eastern portion of the defenses lie open with minimal defenses and a more wide distance between troops. Junot saw this opportunity without hesitation and took a chunk of his right flank of troops which consisted of 6,000 men and hurried them into the Eastern portion of the battlefield. What Junot didn't thought that it was a ruse by Hill and masterminded by Wellesley himself to let open that guard as to let Wellesley have a better opening and by the time Junot had filled the opening, it was already too late as Hill already sent back his troops there.

The initial wave attack in the right flank was tough as Hill's forces had defended the area and by that the opposition had already faltered and the attack easily repulsed with heavy casualties.

Another wave attack happened in the right flank again but now with a heavy hand attacking the centre with Junot's full might and for a while this forced Hill to fall back but then a man lost to history rallied the rag tag army and forced Junot to fight the plain, inch by inch until he suffered to heavy losses and retreated but before he did, he destroyed most of the defenses, making Hill's position much more vulnerable than it was.

Both sides suffered heavy losses as Junot loss 6,000 men and an injured 15,000 while Hill lost 2,500 men and an injured 1,000. This initial numbers would say that Ruddard won the battle but it was he who lost as Hill had a very small force while Junot had enough for as many offenses as he needed.

Many would think that why didn't Junot send his cavalry into the fight? But it was obvious why... The plains were filled with mud and cavalry would be easily stuck and would be an easy target for Hill and so Junot and the French lost their advantage against the Militiamen.

Junot and Hill were both tired and so the attacks were subsided until the day after and Junot would make his biggest mistake yet, letting everyone sleep. It was argued that this sleep was needed for the more heavy handed battle tomorrow but for military historians it was his gravest mistake as Wellesley creeped his way into the fields in the middle of the night and so Junot would face a unexpected enemy the next morning.

images

Wellesley had secretly marched into the field without Junot even figuring it out and by morning's dawn the French would be woken by a horn and a stampede.

Wellesley woke up the sleeping French by a sound of the horn and a stampede but the French, most of them were already woken up an hour earlier but still they were surprised and hastily created the square formation again. The First March would be a deadly affair with both sides having severe damage but still Junot by a miracle would defend it successfully.

Junot then retaliated by stampeding the Militiamen with his cavalry which proved so successful that the Militiamen broke into two with Hill himself running to Wellesley while another pack ran east, only to be cut down by Junot's cavalry.

Wellesley and Junot then engaged in heavy cavalry combat with both sides charging each other, making the battle even more bloodier and Junot in his frustration would order that his cannon shoot both the cavalry and the British infantry, which resulted in both sides dying. This demoralised the French and by the time that the British began a third offensive, Junot would suffer to heavy of a damage and retreated east into Spain, a victory in the battlefield finally for the British.

images

The Battle of The Green Fields was the first major decisive victory for the British and served to further increase Arthur Wellesley's public popularity

The Rout of Galicia

images

Not long after the battle, on November 1st, Arthur Wellesley was ordered by the British Commander-in-chief in Spain and a friend of Wellesley, William Beresford to be sent to war torn Galicia to lead the Anglo-Portuguese defense of the land. Reluctantly, Wellesley agreed as he thought that Porto and Portugal needed him more and so he gave command to two men, Rowland Hill and Sir Hew Dalrymple but the former was sent home not long after Wellesley left as he was severely injured and so ordered back to Britain, leaving the army under the hands of the more incapable Dalrymple.

Wellesley and his much more reduced force of 14,000 men with the rest either dead or stationed in Porto. Wellesley arrived in A Coruña with the city being manned by Beresford himself and the surrounding borders being guarded by two generals, Carlos Leco, Viscount Laguna and Sir Harry Burrard, a former underling of Wellesley.

The Spanish and French forces had been pounding hard on Galicia as it was the last standing region left in Iberia still under the Coalition as the Spanish opposition in Cadiz had already fell alongside Gibraltar not too long ago. These armies were led by Infante Carlos and Marshal Joachim Murat as Marshal Soult had been focusing his armies in the South and Marshal Lannes was governing in Madrid.

Murat had been pushing into Galicia hard with Leco being the victim of most of his offensives as his army stormed their way from Salamanca with a vengeance and with the superiority of Murat's cavalry he easily pushed aside opposition from Leco while Ruddard was having trouble defending his side of the border near the Basque, where Infante Carlos was popular while the British was seen as Invaders and so faced heavy opposition but thanks to no real army to oppose them as Carlos was preoccupied but still he was facing difficulties and so Wellesley first went north to the Basque to commence an offensive with the aid of Ruddard's army.

Wellesley, unlike Ruddard would successfully repel most of the Basque rebels and would defeat a small force near the border, scoring another victory for the Coalition but as he ventured into the Basque, Infante Carlos, whom had heard of the victor on Porto would march his army north to meet him in battle.

The Coalition forces of 25,000 finally reached Bilbao by December 10th but they're opposed by an army under Infante Carlos of 35,000. Wellesley was surprised by the sudden arrival of Carlos as reports suggested that he was in Salamanca but those reports were true that he was in Salamanca but Carlos, upon hearing of his army's defeat near the Basque border and would with worrying speed marched his army tirelessly to Bilbao, a mere day before Wellesley arrived. This piece of Intel wasn't known to Wellesley but still he needed a way to force Carlos to a retreat or a possible capture and so he harassed the army by sending multiple waves of his cavalry into the Spanish columns which Wellesley thought shouldn't break them but because the Spanish army was tired, it almost broke them as the cavalry was deep enough for Carlos to meet a sword.

Carlos foolishly counter attacked head on and was easily repulsed and in retaliation, Wellesley sent his forces to rout the forces only for Carlos' forces to rout not into the city but into the beach.

In the beach, Carlos knew that Wellesley couldn't use his cavalry and so he easily repelled two charges of cavalry and an infantry charge by Wellesley but still the Spanish were tired and so Carlos needed another way to escape and he thought of one so daring but so dumb that it goes down into the history books, swimming to Bilbao.

Wellesley knew that Carlos couldn't fight forever and so charged again and again but every time failing except the last two where it broke not only the morale of the troops but slaughtered them, what Wellesley didn't know was that when night came, Carlos and his band of 10,000 men swam from the beaches into Bilbao successfully as Bilbao still had a working Spanish fleet and it wasn't docked and was put near the Prince as to rescue him as quickly as possible from the cold waters.

Wellesley reportedly laughed after hearing how the Spaniards had fled and by the time he encountered what remained of the Spanish army, an approximate 5,000 were still left either trying and failing to swim or given up already with 19,000 already swam and ran and the rest were killed.

Many would credit this battle as the most success that Wellesley had during the War of Iberia but in truth these were exaggerations as when you look deeper into it, you find out that it was a total coincidence as the Spanish army was tired, a well supplied British one and Wellesley didn't capture the city as her defence was stronger than expected but still in later history this battle would be a rallying cry for British patriotism and Beethoven would make even a song about this, The Wellington's Victory or The Battle Symphony later on to distance the song from the British.

As one victory was at hand, another was at a loss as the Portuguese under Leco was defeated by Murat and his army was steadily moving to A Coruña. Upon hearing the news, Wellesley marched his army back west but he feared that it was too late to arrive for battle but there was still one last hope in General William Beresford to knock out Murat's forces.

100 KM outside of A Coruña, Beresford and his Anglo-Portuguese army of 25,000 and was positioned in a hill had met against the forces of Marshal Joachim Murat and his 34,000 soldiers with 15,000 of them being cavalry.

Beresford was adamant in holding his position and refused to wedge every time Murat tried to breakthrough and the losses were particularly harsh on Murat, losing 3,000 men charging them. Beresford had quietly moved his army into the two sides in the night and by morning he had surprised Murat by attacking both his flanks and going down the mountain, overwhelming the French Marshal, ensuring a temporary victory for the Coalition.

The week after Beresford's victory, Wellesley arrived in A Coruña and with their combined forces set out to fight and ultimately repulse the French from Galicia. After almost a week of marching, Beresford & Wellesley found Murat and his army encamped near the river Anllóns, fashioning themselves a bridge and already place defenses, even a few cannons.

Both sides looked at each other and both encamped near each other, waiting for any reaction on both sides to wait for an attack but while waiting, both sides bombarded each other mercilessly.

On January 20th, 1809, Arthur Wellesley, William Beresford and 10 men was inspecting the front line when suddenly the French started bombarding the British position, including this particular area.

"""""""""""""""
"God Damn! How long until these Frogs stop their damn bombings!" Said an angry William Beresford.

"Have patience William.... These men don't have the balls to defeat us, British!" Arthur Wellesley said mockingly.

"I don't know exactly sir, but usually the French stop after half a minute but this is longer than usual" said one of Beresford's aides.

"No matter! We'll wait until...."

Boom! Boom! Boom!

No sound... Only one shout,

"HELP!"

Arthur Wellesley yelled as his friend lie dead.

""""""""""""""""""

The death of William Beresford and the crippling of Arthur Wellesley severely demoralised the British, even if Wellesley was still capable of leading, his previous charisma was lacking thanks to his limp and was unable to walk without a cane ever again.

Murat, upon hearing from his spies that the British leadership was crippled, attacked without hesitation, destroying the British army and forcing a general retreat, without the body of William Beresford and Wellesley barely escaped. To point, this was the only major loss under Wellesley's leadership.

The Final Defeat

images

Sir Hew Dalrymple, the last Commander-in-chief of the British forces in Iberia

Wellesley was evacuated and brought home thanks to his incapability to lead and the need to rest and without a good leadership as the position was given to Sir Hew Dalrymple, an incapable Commander but an experienced bureaucrat. Murat with Infante Carlos then plunged themselves into Galicia with the Basque being easily won over and they reached A Coruña by February 15th where a resilient defense by Sir Harry Ruddard successfully defended the city for a week until Ruddard was stricken with illness and in his place Dalrymple took command and was horribly defeated, pushing the Coalition out of Spain.

In Porto, the last true bastion of the Coalition after the fall of Galicia, the commander, Carlos Leco after Dalrymple went up north. Leco then was besieged by the forces of Marshal Soult and Governor Junot but, lacking the cunning of Wellesley nor the resilience of Rowland Hill plus the port was blockaded by a Spanish fleet adding further questions about his chances. There was a brief battle where Leco gained the upper hand but he retreated after reports said that Murat was heading south and so on February 27 1809, Leco surrendered to Marshal Soult outside Porto with the condition that both his armies and himself return to their homes, which Soult agreed to.

And so Iberia has fallen into the hands of Napoleon

arthur-wellesley-1st-duke-of-wellington-illustration-id538769036

Wellesley after the war, he was held by his cane in which this picture is represented by the sword but still he was a popular war hero when he returned.

Arthur Wellesley went back home not in disgrace but with honors as he was the most successful war veteran of the War and he went back home into his Manor and for a few years lamented the loss of his friend Beresford and became a poet during his so called, "The Years of Thought" and even made a gem stones of great poems, like the Fallen Hero, Dear Friend and The Final Victory.

He returned into the public eye when in 1818 he ran for parliament. The story of the Great Brit shall continue.​

Last edited: