The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

bm9AoMI.png

Very nice, but Italian Somaliland was occupied and administered by the British until 1949 when it became a UN Trust Territory under Italian Administration. So it should be shown like occupied Germany, Austria, northeastern Italy, Korea or Japan.

Made some changes:

Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary were also occupied. British (and I believe American) forces did not withdraw from Iran until March 1946, so it should still be shown as occupied. Changed French West Africa back to the 1942 version of the map since Upper Volta didn't exist again until 1947.

Hadn't made changes to Thailand as suggested by another user.

Jan 1 1946 next gen OTL worlda.png

Last edited:
Hey quick question should we show the Cook Islands and Niue as independent or part of New Zealand? Because Palau, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands are independent from the US in the maps

Hey quick question should we show the Cook Islands and Niue as independent or part of New Zealand? Because Palau, Micronesia and the Marshall Islands are independent from the US in the maps

It's a really good question, and I guess the reason why Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands are shown as genuinely independent is that they are UN member states, while the Cook Islands and Niue are not. Their relationships to the US and NZ are very similar, yes, but the lack of UN membership (which both could easily gett using the other three as precedent), marks them as being close enough to NZ (which is at least the reasoning I use in my Worlda alternate history maps).

It'd make sense to make a call on how to approach this issue once and for all in this series of maps though.

It's a really good question, and I guess the reason why Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands are shown as genuinely independent is that they are UN member states, while the Cook Islands and Niue are not. Their relationships to the US and NZ are very similar, yes, but the lack of UN membership (which both could easily gett using the other three as precedent), marks them as being close enough to NZ (which is at least the reasoning I use in my Worlda alternate history maps).

It'd make sense to make a call on how to approach this issue once and for all in this series of maps though.
I don't really like using the UN's decisions for de facto maps, though, since countries like Taiwan, Somaliland, and Abkhazia aren't recognised despite very obviously being legitimate states.

And really, it's telling that those US associated nations are essentially just extra votes used by the US to influence the UN.

I color them both as "protectorates," personally. I think that gets the idea across while still showing that they're legally distinct.

I've shown them as puppets before but dependencies work better
Protectorate is probably the closest to what they are legally (see the Compact of Free Association); I'm not sure how you would show they're puppet states using the traditional method anyway, given that they're small islands.

July 16th, 2019:
- Added 1688 AD
- Updated 1000 AD through 1803 with fixed African borders.
- Added SnivyLink's patched 1914 map.

At least one Mayan city remained unconquered by 1697, i cant remember its name though. Also, didnt the Iroquois Confederacy conquer most of the land north of the Ohio by the beginning of the 1700s?

Last edited:
I think we need a map for 1884; 1861 to 1914 is way too long a gap
A 1905 map should also be added. A lot happened between then and 1914.
On the old maps, there were ones for 1885, 1890, 1900, and 1905. They look pretty good and recent compared to some of the other old ones, and borders could probably be transferred to the new map or at least used as a starting point

At least one Mayan city remained unconquered by 1697, i cant remember its name though. Also, didnt the Iroquois Confederacy conquer most of the land north of the Ohio by the beginning of the 1700s?
Nojpeten (modern Flores) was the city that was conquered in 1697. That is generally considered the end of the Mayan conquest, though some small villages here and there would have remained outside effective Spanish control after. And in 1847, the Yucatan Caste War broke out, with a Mayan revolt centered on the city of Chan Santa Cruz, which established a state that lasted until 1901 with some holdouts in remote settlements until 1933.

As for the Iroquois, it looks like they did in the late 1600s and early 1700s, at least according to this map from wikipedia, though that map looks kinda sketchy and anyone mapping their expansion might want to find some more reliable seeming sources perhaps

Hey guys! Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been on a short-ish hiatus recently; I've been busy with other projects and after finishing finals I needed some time off.

- Added the updated 1920 & 2017 maps
- I'll get to adding both of those 1941 maps later today.
- As for the corrections on the previous page, I'll get to updating those maps soon. Thanks for the continued feedback!
EDIT: - Updated 843 with balkan corrections.
Also, looking at the maps in the first post, I've noticed that both the 1941 maps and other changes that I mentioned here a couple months ago still haven't been implemented, just wondering if anything's up with that? I could do some more edits to some of the other maps affected by the stuff I mentioned at some point if that would help, its just that you said you'd add the 1941 maps as quoted but then didn't and I'm wondering if it was just forgotten, or instead if I missed a later message where someone noticed issues with my 1941 maps and suggestions or something, hence them not being added?

Oops, I probably just forgot to add them! My bad! I'll do that tomorrow morning. As for the 4 maps you linked, they look like they'd indeed be good starting points. I'll see what I can do to transfer them over and fact-check them. If I don't do all of them, I'd at least like to do 2, likely 1885 and 1900.