Pragmatic Wunderwaffe

Hello all. Below is a bit of a list I am putting together for my AH scenario. I am aiming for a more pragmatic approach to the classic wunderwaffe concept. You'll probably notice the distinct lack of weapons we are all too familiar with, like the Horten Ho-229, Aggregrat A-4 or Panzkerkapmfwagen VIII among other things. It's all too impractical. I would appreciate any suggestions you all have to offer. Discussion is also welcome. Much obliged.

Dornier Do-335
Blendkorper 2h
Bombentorpedo BT series
Fahrgerat: Puma, Falke, Sperber & Uhu
Espenlaub Luftflugabwehrdrachen
Glasmine 43
Panzerabwehrwerfer 8H63 / 10H64
Holzgas / Stadtgas
Hydrostatischen Antrieb
Kugelblitz (turret)
Lichtsprecher 250-130
Sdkfz 325
Nipolit
Pantherturm / Panzernest
Panzerfaust 150
Propellerschlitten WH-WL
Raedel Schraubenantrieb Schneemaschine
Raketenpanzerbusche 54-1: both Panzerschreck & Fliegerschreck ammunition
Schleudersitz-Soellingen
Schrage Musik
Sturmgewehr 45 Grossfuss
Tonschreiber
Type XXI, XXIII & XVII Uboats
Winkeltürme, Flakturm Baurat, Weingut, LS-Zellen and REIMAHG
Krupp Räumer S
Rheinmetall-Borsig RI-502
Henschel Hs-293 B

Last edited:
In other words "I'm going to take from hindsight what we know works in the form of 'wunderwaffe', and abandon the rest without cause because handwavium."

If you're taking a pragmatic approach to concepts deemed 'wunderwaffe/napkinwaffe', what is the metric you are using other than Goering walking in to Hitler saying "I had a dream that all the things on this list worked, but everything else did not".

With Germany's limited resources I do not see the Do 335 being put into production.
The ta-152 was faster and only required 1 engine which means at burnt half of the scarce aviation fuel.
The advanced u-bolts would have run into trouble because the Allies were advancing their anti-submarine efforts. In 1945 depth charges we're about to be replaced with homing torpedoes.
As for the HS 293 anti-shipping missile, the Allies were ahead in radar and in electronic countermeasures its effectiveness was severely diminished by having its guidance system jammed.

Some of these hardly qualify as wunderwaffe.

The RPzB 54/1 is just a slightly shorter Panzerschreck tube with a slightly better rocket with another 30m of effective range.

The Sd.Kfz. 325 is an airfield tractor.

Espenlaub Luftflugabwehrdrachen
is a barrage kite.

Raedel's Schraubenantrieb Schneemaschine is a screw-propelled snowmobile that barely worked.

Fahrgerat: Puma, Falke, Sperber & Uhu- are these the 8-wheeled armoured cars?

With Germany's limited resources I do not see the Do 335 being put into production.
The ta-152 was faster and only required 1 engine which means at burnt half of the scarce aviation fuel.
The advanced u-bolts would have run into trouble because the Allies were advancing their anti-submarine efforts. In 1945 depth charges we're about to be replaced with homing torpedoes.
As for the HS 293 anti-shipping missile, the Allies were ahead in radar and in electronic countermeasures its effectiveness was severely diminished by having its guidance system jammed.

MK 24 FIDO Homing torpedo entered service in May 1943! And by this point the various aspects, (technology, experience, tactics, weapons, Aircraft, intel and numbers) required for the winning of the battle of the Atlantic had gloriously aligned in the Allies favor

They didn't know at the time that they had won it but the Germans did - they called it Black May

To the OPs question - less Wunderwaffe and more FW190/Hetzer type kit is what is required not M262 and King Tiger

Grossfuss Sturmgewehr and not MP44

Robust, proven technology and not complicated and able to be built in large numbers, relatively cheaply and earlier than OTL

I don't think the Horten 229 was impractical. It combined similar construction to the DH Mosquito with jet engines - the latter being the weakpoint as demonstrated by the 262.

Incidentally, the engines of the 229 have the same dimensions as the RR Avon in the EE Lightning... idea!

McPherson

Banned
What the comments above suggest. (^^^)

As a practical matter, it makes no difference because the 1 game changer is in Allied hands by August 1945. As I am not a Luftwaffe 1946 kind of guy, I would PoD more in the areas of logistics, economic rationalization, kill the Berlin maniac early and "Make peace, fools!" in 1943 and still expect the worst outcome for Berlin kind of guy. Gadgets don't win wars. Mass equals force times acceleration, plainly achievable limited goals, (Austria, Sudetenland, kill the Berlin maniac and quit the game while you're still winning diplomatically, Fatso.) and applied common sense (as in not fighting the whole world), does.

Khanzeer

Banned
What the comments above suggest. (^^^)

As a practical matter, it makes no difference because the 1 game changer is in Allied hands by August 1945. As I am not a Luftwaffe 1946 kind of guy, I would PoD more in the areas of logistics, economic rationalization, kill the Berlin maniac early and "Make peace, fools!" in 1943 and still expect the worst outcome for Berlin kind of guy. Gadgets don't win wars. Mass equals force times acceleration, plainly achievable limited goals, (Austria, Sudetenland, kill the Berlin maniac and quit the game while you're still winning diplomatically, Fatso.) and applied common sense (as in not fighting the whole world), does.
ditto
only wunderwaffe would be a time machine , go back and in time and prevent the british empire from forming

Deleted member 1487

ditto
only wunderwaffe would be a time machine , go back and in time and prevent the british empire from forming
No need to go that crazy. Even just some basic rationality to the rearmament policy would have been huge; Plan Z was an enormous waste of resources; had they instead focused just on Uboat construction by summer 1940 they'd have double the historical number of Uboats in service, which would be very bad news for the British. Couple that with figuring out the problems of their torpedoes pre-war and the British might well be toast.

nbcman

Donor
No need to go that crazy. Even just some basic rationality to the rearmament policy would have been huge; Plan Z was an enormous waste of resources; had they instead focused just on Uboat construction by summer 1940 they'd have double the historical number of Uboats in service, which would be very bad news for the British. Couple that with figuring out the problems of their torpedoes pre-war and the British might well be toast.
Isn't Plan Z of early 1939 too late to significantly improve the quantity of u-boats for the following summer? The Germans weren't producing that many subs per month in either 1939 or 1940 (2-3 / mo). Could they ramp up to a 1941 - 1942 production rate of 15 - 20 / mo that quickly?

Quantities taken from page 132 of this study.

Deleted member 1487

Isn't Plan Z of early 1939 too late to significantly improve the quantity of u-boats for the following summer? The Germans weren't producing that many subs per month in either 1939 or 1940 (2-3 / mo). Could they ramp up to a 1941 - 1942 production rate of 15 - 20 / mo that quickly?

Quantities taken from page 132 of this study.
Nope. It took about 12 months to build one and about 6 more months to 'shake it out' and prep the crew. So the bigger burst of Uboats entering service would start around June-July. The reason the Germans weren't building many Uboats in 1939-40 was Plan Z, which took over naval yards and funding and then needed scrapping; that took until November 1939 to start. In early 1940 the war economy was just being organized due to the war catching planners by surprise, but if Uboat construction were started pre-war then it wouldn't have been impacted by trying to organize it on the fly at the start of the war.
IOTL there was 18 built in 1939 and 50 in 1940. Those numbers wouldn't be any different in 1939 if the POD is the same year, but in 1940 there is no reason they couldn't be doubled or increased even more had the necessary foundations been laid in early 1939 considering that IOTL 1941 they built 199, a near four fold increase over the previous year despite Barbarossa gobbling up so many resources and of course the blockade being in effect since 1939.

My numbers from here:
https://uboat.net/technical/shipyards/

McPherson

Banned

The study is garbage. It does not take into account the limited machine tool capability of German core industry or the lack of a uniform industrial set of practices across the entire European continent. French, Czechs, Hungarians, and Italians did not do things the German way. To get American or Soviet or British kinds of rational production, one must have NATIONAL or uniform practices inside the "German" empire. The Germans did not have the time or resources to divert into such rationalization during their war, so their industrial effort was of necessity ad-hoc, "incompetent" and inefficient by their enemies standards. The Germans results of their ad hockery was that mish mash of production and weaponry that RTL flowed out of "their" factories. It is especially evident in their incompetently designed Type XXI and XXIII U-boats. It was supposed to be their Kaiserized version of naval construction. How did it work out? While the Americans churned out GATOs by the hundred lot, the Germans produced 14 seaworthy examples from 400 component sets of the Type XXI. Later the Americans GUPPIED almost 100 WW II boats. The German attempts to GUPPY Type VIIs and IXs mid war were disasters.

QED. One should look at results and track backwards why those outcomes happened and not "handwave". History has "reasons".

nbcman

Donor
The study is garbage. It does not take into account the limited machine tool capability of German core industry or the lack of a uniform industrial set of practices across the entire European continent. French, Czechs, Hungarians, and Italians did not do things the German way. To get American or Soviet or British kinds of rational production, one must have NATIONAL or uniform practices inside the "German" empire. The Germans did not have the time or resources to divert into such rationalization during their war, so their industrial effort was of necessity ad-hoc, "incompetent" and inefficient by their enemies standards. The Germans results of their ad hockery was that mish mash of production and weaponry that RTL flowed out of "their" factories. It is especially evident in their incompetently designed Type XXI and XXIII U-boats. It was supposed to be their Kaiserized version of naval construction. How did it work out? While the Americans churned out GATOs by the hundred lot, the Germans produced 14 seaworthy examples from 400 component sets of the Type XXI. Later the Americans GUPPIED almost 100 WW II boats. The German attempts to GUPPY Type VIIs and IXs mid war were disasters.

QED. One should look at results and track backwards why those outcomes happened and not "handwave". History has "reasons".
OK. I wasn't citing the author of the study's opinions. I was citing the production figures on the page listed and questioned whether the Germans could produce enough U boats, crew them and get them trained in slightly over a year's time. Thanks for your review of the Author's study.

McPherson

Banned
OK. I wasn't citing the author of the study's opinions. I was citing the production figures on the page listed and questioned whether the Germans could produce enough U boats, crew them and get them trained in slightly over a year's time. Thanks for your review of the Author's study.

I was merely noting the methodology and the conclusions that were cited as a "proof". If the source is flawed, then it should not be used as a proof.

In other words "I'm going to take from hindsight what we know works in the form of 'wunderwaffe', and abandon the rest without cause because handwavium."

If you're taking a pragmatic approach to concepts deemed 'wunderwaffe/napkinwaffe', what is the metric you are using other than Goering walking in to Hitler saying "I had a dream that all the things on this list worked, but everything else did not".

Hindsight aside, what I am attempting to do is redefine what wunderwaffe means in terms of how such weapons, vehicles, and devices affect war-time logistics rather than the decisive war-winning miracle as we have come to associate the real wunderwaffe with. Basically, if German developments took a more pragmatic approach to special weapons and equipment.
In addition to that, this AH scenario is not centered around the mere idea of pragmatic wunderwaffe, as such an idea is absolutely fruitless given the material shortages of a disoriented industry under a refractory hierarchy. No, I had to build an entire timeline from scratch, which would take ages for me to explain in this context. All I will say is that it deviates from our own in 1880. (and Goering is not present) I really just wanted everyone's opinions, but I did not give enough context to make this discussion more constructive. My apologies.

My apologies for not being more forward in the context of my post. Resources aside, would you say that the Dornier Do-335 is a better investment than the jets? Imagine if you will the Germans put the jet engine on the back-burner until the technology is more proven and economical, which piston plane developments would fare best in keeping up with the Allies? I do agree with your assessment of the Ta-152, that is my second pick for multi-role attack aircraft.
Not sure about the U-boats to be honest. I hoped someone would see the B designation following the Hs-293, but alas, no one did. That is to indicate the wire-guided variety. Really said wire-guidance could be outfitted to the following Hs-294 and Hs-295 with similar results I imagine. What do you think?

Some of these hardly qualify as wunderwaffe.

Refer to my above answer. Again, my apologies for not being more forward in the context of my post. They don't qualify as wunderwaffe, because they aren't according to the definition we associate them with; that's the point.

The RPzB 54/1 is just a slightly shorter Panzerschreck tube with a slightly better rocket with another 30m of effective range.

I included the RPzB 54/1 because its easier to handle, plausibly easier to manufacture and therefore considering its purpose, a weapon of potential; especially given the introduction of Fliegerschreck ammunition.

The Sd.Kfz. 325 is an airfield tractor.

I am well aware of what the Sdkfz 325 is. Rather than have a hodgepodge of foreign and domestic equipment meant to tug aircraft (Austro-Daimler, Sauer, Latil, Borgward, Büssing-NAG, Deutz, Hanomag, Lanz, Skoda, Laffly, etc), why not have one? Efficiency. I consider that something with the potential to positively affect the war effort, even if only a little.

Espenlaub Luftflugabwehrdrachen is a barrage kite.

I am genuinely surprised someone knows what that is. I only included it because its a novel and cheap way to defend airfields in tandem to anti-air batteries. Again, efficiency. If something better comes along than I will revise my list.

Raedel's Schraubenantrieb Schneemaschine is a screw-propelled snowmobile that barely worked.

I chose this because it has potential if given the means for development. The reason being is given the terrain of Russia, especially in the winter and during the thaw (see rasputitsa) than such a means of propulsion could be useful in logistics. In addition if one looks at the Soviet ZIL-2906 from the 60s, then can it not be said the Germans could likely make something or similar or superior quality? Imagine if you will, a Raupenschlepper OST with a screw-propulsion chassis to get a feeling for what I mean.

Fahrgerat: Puma, Falke, Sperber & Uhu- are these the 8-wheeled armoured cars?

Those are actually the code-names for various types of night-driving apparatuses for German vehicles. Puma is a tank cupola apparatus, Falke is installed on the Sdkfz 251 (driver and gunner), Sperber is a complete tank apparatus (commander and driver), Uhu is a direction apparatus (installed in the rear of an sdfkz 251) meant to provide navigation for independent units via radio. I forgot to include Fahrgerat 1252 (unnamed), which was installed on cars and trucks.

To the OPs question - less Wunderwaffe and more FW190/Hetzer type kit is what is required not M262 and King Tiger

Grossfuss Sturmgewehr and not MP44

Robust, proven technology and not complicated and able to be built in large numbers, relatively cheaply and earlier than OTL

Exactly!

McPherson

Banned
(^^^)

Gizmos aside, if your PoD is 1880 AD then abdicate Kaiser Bill II in 1895 AD. That gains you a lot more than gadgets. You remove him from power just about when his good efforts at modernizing his government plateau out and before he goes off the rails into das Land der verrückten Träumer (Cloudcuckoosvile).

Germany didn't need wunderwaffe. Their "superweapons" were generally inferior compared to advanced Allied technology anyway.

Germany needed rationalized production from Day 1 and an end to bureaucratic empire building that pulled resources away from the collective good, as well as an end to the (and I apologize because there is absolutely a moral component here too) resource suck of the Holocaust. Hitler literally preferred killing Jews to supporting German soldiers, which is hardly a winning strategy.

McPherson

Banned
Germany didn't need wunderwaffe. Their "superweapons" were generally inferior compared to advanced Allied technology anyway.

Curious about that on 2 fronts... JPL sure was a late starter to Peenemunde. However Qian Xuesen was a shade brighter than the Paperclip sponsored von Braun acquired in the sudden German technology fire sale of 1945. Also; he, our Chinese American rocketeer, is a case study in how one's bigoted racist political stupidity can BOITA, even if one is a supposed "enlightened democracy".

Last edited:
One should note that even successful designs took a while to implement. The angled aircraft carrier deck could have saved plenty of lives in WW2, by offeringa second runway for take-off or landing that prevented crashes, but it was only introduced too late in the war to make a difference. It would have been easily implemented. But it takes time for 'logical conclusions' to be made about relatively mundane stuff, let alone something as complicated and uncertain as wunderwaffe.

You'd run into the issues of people not entirely sure what worked and what didn't since they were still ironing out all the bugs in the middle of a war, something (as Churchill noted) that doesn't allow for too much calibration and refinement when you're under heavy attack from all sides.

Plus, you'd need to remove the top idiots from command; the Fuhrer (who ordered such things as making incredibly fast planes into fighter-bombers, a role they couldn't do because they were too fast to lock onto a ground target), Goering, and the rest of the idiots who were trying to promote their own projects and agendas.

Where's that webcomic link again...? http://www.viruscomix.com/page463.html