A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

I even found a proxy person to do this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hyde,_3rd_Earl_of_Clarendon#Family
Edward Hyde, Viscount Cornbury, survived his infection TTL and by now in the TL is the 4th Earl for about a year (mentioned in peerage marriages table as TTL husband to Lady Louise Lennox, though I'm yet to model their children). Second cousin to King James III, he grew up in the Colonies and is likely to inherit his father's position (though of course not directly, but he's likely to be 1724 appointee).
So by now he is the closest Royal relative intimately aware of state of affairs in the colonies. Edward Sr., Queen Anne's cousin, made quite a bad reputation of corrupt and incompetent person, so it's likely his son would be working to correct the image of the family in the eyes of public.

VVD0D95

Banned
I even found a proxy person to do this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hyde,_3rd_Earl_of_Clarendon#Family
Edward Hyde, Viscount Cornbury, survived his infection TTL and by now in the TL is the 4th Earl for about a year (mentioned in peerage marriages table as TTL husband to Lady Louise Lennox, though I'm yet to model their children). Second cousin to King James III, he grew up in the Colonies and is likely to inherit his father's position (though of course not directly, but he's likely to be 1724 appointee).
So by now he is the closest Royal relative intimately aware of state of affairs in the colonies. Edward Sr., Queen Anne's cousin, made quite a bad reputation of corrupt and incompetent person, so it's likely his son would be working to correct the image of the family in the eyes of public.

Indeed he ihis, indeed he is. Which will make things fascianting, especially given his father's reputaiton

VVD0D95

Banned
Though given bad temper of Countess Louise she would not like the traveling to the "end of the world" instead of brilliant London society, she may eventually swallow this pill and become a patron of everything passing for things cultural in New York/New Jersey, complete with salon and her own "court".

VVD0D95

Banned
Though given bad temper of Countess Louise she would not like the traveling to the "end of the world" instead of brilliant London society, she may eventually swallow this pill and become a patron of everything passing for things cultural in New York/New Jersey, complete with salon and her own "court".

Definitely, and perhaps she might bring the culture there as well aha

Given that we know nothing about 4th Earl (he died young OTL and was born post PoD anyways), we can model his character as we see fit - probably taking after his great-grandfather the 1st Earl instead of his decadent father. "American Great Clarendon" is going to be an interesting charater.

VVD0D95

Banned
Given that we know nothing about 4th Earl (he died young OTL and was born post PoD anyways), we can model his character as we see fit - probably taking after his great-grandfather the 1st Earl instead of his decadent father. "American Great Clarendon" is going to be an interesting charater.

Oh that's going to be impressive, perhaps a political hero for people like Jefferson and Washington and Hamilton

By the way, Burnet not being in New York changes things a lot re. Franklin, as it was Burnet, striving for intellectual company, who encouraged Franklin to take scientific pursuits. I don't know whether 4th Earl Clarendon can fill the same role.
Burnet's rarefied education brought him a lifelong interest in scientific and mathematical pursuits. He was proposed for membership in the Royal Society by Isaac Newton in 1705, and was enrolled as a fellow in February 1705/6.[5] He was acquainted with the mathematician Gottfried Leibniz,[6] and was a regular correspondent on a wide array of scientific subjects with Philadelphia merchant and politician James Logan.[7] He reported to the Royal Society observations of the Grindelwald Glacier in Switzerland,[8] and on an unusual instance of Hungarian conjoined twins he saw while resident in The Hague in 1708.[9] Observations he made of eclipses of the moons of Jupiter while he was governor of New York were used to more precisely determine New York City's longitude.[10] During his tenure in New York he was relatively starved for intellectual discourse; he briefly met a young Benjamin Franklin and encouraged him in his intellectual pursuits.[11]

VVD0D95

Banned
By the way, Burnet not being in New York changes things a lot re. Franklin, as it was Burnet, striving for intellectual company, who encouraged Franklin to take scientific pursuits. I don't know whether 4th Earl Clarendon can fill the same role.

Hmm interesting, if Franklin ever were to meet the current Prince of Wales ttl, I imagine there might be a suitable push in the right direction ;)

Though maybe if Franklin attracts Governor Clarendon's attention (if he leaves for New York instead of Philadelphia), Ben's education in the metropoly can be sponsored by the Earl, and take off from there. I don't know whether you plan anything similar.

VVD0D95

Banned
Though maybe if Franklin attracts Governor Clarendon's attention (if he leaves for New York instead of Philadelphia), Ben's education in the metropoly can be sponsored by the Earl, and take off from there. I don't know whether you plan anything similar.

Now that would be fascinating

Regarding TTL fate of William Burnet, he is likely a favorite of Willem IV of Orange (William's father, Gilbert Burnet, is likely to be one of Willem's tutors TTL). Probably a founding member of Dutch analogue of Royal Society if this is a thing.

VVD0D95

Banned
Regarding TTL fate of William Burnet, he is likely a favorite of Willem IV of Orange (William's father, Gilbert Burnet, is likely to be one of Willem's tutors TTL). Probably a founding member of Dutch analogue of Royal Society if this is a thing.

Yes, bang on the money. Indeed, I was thinking of having the House of Orange rival the House of Oldenburg in terms of patronage of the sciences etc

If you've got to be exiled to a early 1700s-era colonial city, New York's the place. It isn't what it became IOTL yet, but it already has a flair for trade, cosmopolitanism, etc, more than the others. [Boston is probably bigger, but much more boring for a high society type].

VVD0D95

Banned
If you've got to be exiled to a early 1700s-era colonial city, New York's the place. It isn't what it became IOTL yet, but it already has a flair for trade, cosmopolitanism, etc, more than the others. [Boston is probably bigger, but much more boring for a high society type].

This is true, and Lennox herself is by dint semi royalty by dint of who her grandfather was, so that will get the high society types chattering

I recall reading that the first Earl was something of a political theorist, critiquing Hobbes from a socially conservative direction. So an attempt by his descendent to recover that legacy could be interesting.

VVD0D95

Banned
I recall reading that the first Earl was something of a political theorist, critiquing Hobbes from a socially conservative direction. So an attempt by his descendent to recover that legacy could be interesting.

In the vein of anti Leviathan and absolute monarchy or?