AHC: Larger Saura sect (Hindu Denomination)

The Saura sect is a denomination within hinduism where Surya, the god of the sun is revered as the supreme deity. They were quite prevalent throughout the gupta and medieval periods, but are now a very small group today.

Your challenge is to find away to make this sect as widely dispersed as possible in the present day. Bonus points if it is the largest sect!

I don't know exactly but Vishnu might actually been derived from the Sun god of the Vedic Aryan Pantheon. He is many times, referred to as Surya-Narayana.

But the name "Vishnu" has the same Proto-Indo-European root word that gave rise to the words "Vesta", "Heista", "Haus" and "House". It means to survive/prosperity. In Hinduism, Vishnu is the god who helps you survive/prosper in your life, from what it is believed.

To get a Natural Sun God to be worshipped like Akenhaten in Egypt, you'd probably need a life-changing incident happening to an early Indo-Aryan tribe or something like that. That's the best bet for the Monotheistic Sun worshipping sect.

Edit: I would correct the word in the title to "Saurya" or at least "Surya".

Well there really was just no need for a sect that focused exclusively on Surya when the Smartha tradition of choosing one of five gods who are all equal manifestations of Nirguna Brahman, one of whom is surya exists. When this is established, for any group to exist that gives primacy to surya out of these five, you need upanishads and Puranas with myths explicitly stating that surya is more powerful than Vishnu, shiva and Shakti, and a more established transcendental aspect of sun worship that appeals to vedantic metaphysical ideas.

Well there really was just no need for a sect that focused exclusively on Surya when the Smartha tradition of choosing one of five gods who are all equal manifestations of Nirguna Brahman, one of whom is surya exists. When this is established, for any group to exist that gives primacy to surya out of these five, you need upanishads and Puranas with myths explicitly stating that surya is more powerful than Vishnu, shiva and Shakti, and a more established transcendental aspect of sun worship that appeals to vedantic metaphysical ideas.
I mean, it could be possible. But these tend to succeed if born at a different scale. Much of Hindu theology took root long after the Vedic Aryans gained foothold in the subcontinent.

These kind of Monotheistic philosophies need Tribal kind of environments to take hold as you need to protect your ethnicity using such motivations then. I could see the Scythians, Kushans or later the Huns who actually had such a social structure invent something like that combining Vedic gods and their Iranian and Tengrist theologies.