1983: San Francisco 49ers knock off Redskins in NFC Championship Game & the aftermath

Would you like to see this TL have major ramifications in the NFL ?

• A.) YES

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • B.) NO

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • C.) Wait & see approach

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters
Wait a tick - was the entire Raiders roster out to lunch and replaced with cardboard cutouts? This is a team that curb-stomped a heavily favored Redskins team; how the shit do they get utterly annihilated by anyone? I know this is a massive 49ers-wank, but the game reads like a good idea gone way off the rails.

Wait a tick - was the entire Raiders roster out to lunch and replaced with cardboard cutouts? This is a team that curb-stomped a heavily favored Redskins team; how the shit do they get utterly annihilated by anyone? I know this is a massive 49ers-wank, but the game reads like a good idea gone way off the rails.

The 1984 Season coming up will define everyone involved later on, so stay tuned...

I must admit, I was surprised, too, @Colonel Zoidberg...

I simmed it with similar conditions (about 70 at kickoff time; winds up to 30 miles per hour--the game time winds were gusting up to 25) and the 49ers won 5 times and the Raiders won 5 times; they were evenly matched, IMO, and it would have been one of the Super Bowls that lived up to the hype, IMHO (not ITTL, though)...

I must admit, I was surprised, too, @Colonel Zoidberg...

I simmed it with similar conditions (about 70 at kickoff time; winds up to 30 miles per hour--the game time winds were gusting up to 25) and the 49ers won 5 times and the Raiders won 5 times; they were evenly matched, IMO, and it would have been one of the Super Bowls that lived up to the hype, IMHO (not ITTL, though)...

Like I said before, the 1984 Season coming up will be interesting & intriguing. I also noted at the beginning of this TL that the NFC would dominate Super Bowls beyond...

Walsh
7:52 AM PST, February 12th, 1984
Santa Clara, CA.

1981 Super Bowl (XI).jpg

San Francisco 49ers Football Coach Bill Walsh was holding a press conference following the 49ers' blowout victory a few weeks ago in the 1983 Super Bowl in Tampa, he was asked what can the team expect for the upcoming 1984 Season & how will the 49ers change up their offensive & defensive strategies with teams plotting to dethrone them. Walsh thought to himself, "I've got 2 Lombardi Trophies & I'm NOT going to let anyone stop us from making something special here in San Francisco. We can make history by pushing for a repeat, something the 49ers fans haven't seen our team do, but with the right strategy in the upcoming 1984 NFL Draft, free agency, offensive & defensive outlook battle plans, we will be coming back to the big stage in the 1984 Season!"

Last edited:
Party at the CA Governor's Mansion
1:00 PM PST, February 13th, 1984
CA Governor's Mansion, Sacramento, CA.
Governor's_Mansion_State_Historic_Park_-_exterior_1.JPG

Inside the Historic CA Governor's Mansion in Sacramento, members of the 1983 Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers including the coaching staff, their spouses & others gathered on the grounds of the historic residence as CA Governor George Deukmejian (R) & his wife, CA First Lady Gloria Deukmejian each congratulated every member of the Super Bowl Championship Team by shaking their hands, signing autographs, taking pictures with the kids.

1984 NFL Draft: May 1st-2nd, 1984

The defending Super Bowl Champions went aggressive in the 1984 NFL Draft & selected the following players:
Round 1: 24th Pick
Todd Shell (LB) Brigham Young

Round 2: 56th Pick (from the Los Angeles Raiders)
John Frank (TE) Ohio St

Round 3: 73rd Pick (from Saint Louis Cardinals)
Guy McIntyre (G) Georgia

Round 5: 121st Pick (from the Atlanta Falcons)
Michael Carter (NT) Southern Methodist

139th Pick (Choice from the Washington Redskins through the Los Angeles Rams)
Jeff Fuller (DB) Texas A&M

Round 9: 239th Pick (from the Chicago Bears)
Lee Miller (DB) Cal St Fullerton

Round 9: 248th Pick
Derrick Harmon (RB) Cornell

Round 10: 275th Pick
Dave Mortiz (WR) Iowa

Round 11: 304th Pick
Kirk Pendleton (WR) Brigham Young

NFL Supplemental Draft: June 5th, 1984
USFL & CFL Players
Round 1: 24th Pick
Derrick Crawford (WR) Memphis St
*Memphis Showboats (USFL)

Round 2: 51st Pick
Joe Conwell (OT) North Carolina
*Philly Stars (USFL)

Round 3: 80th Pick
Mark Schellen (RB) Nebraska
*New Orleans Breakers (USFL)

49ers Training Camp
1:13 PM PST, July 1st, 1984

Sierra College, Rocklin, CA.
head-coach-bill-walsh-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-poses-for-a-photo-picture-id52693983

It was the Summer of 1984 & the defending Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers were doing practice drills & other training techniques during the team's Training Camp session at Sierra College in Rocklin. Coach Walsh was determined NOT to show any weaknesses, which would give the opposing NFL teams an advantage over the 49ers if they show any slippage. Also 1984 was the year of new opportunities as the NFL expanded to 16 regular Season games, which some on the 49ers would try to push for greatness.... going undefeated & surpassing the 1972 Miami Dolphins [who went (17-0) when they won the Super Bowl that year].

Looking at the schedule, Coach Walsh called the entire coaching staff over at his office, "Ok folks, 1984 is here & we need to forget about 1983 because that was last Season, it's done & over with. With the 16-game schedule in the regular season, we cannot afford to show any weaknesses because we're the hunted as defending Super Bowl Champions. Let's do something amazing that nobody has ever seen here in San Francisco.... REPEATING AS SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!" The 49ers Coaching Staff realized some of the opponents on the schedule would be given their best shot at hitting San Francisco from here on out.....

Last edited:
49ers Pre-Season Game vs the Raiders
6:00 PM PST, August 4th, 1984

Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA.
49ers Preseason.jpg

It was quite somewhat of a rematch in an interesting Preseason NFL game between the defending Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers & the AFC Champion Los Angeles Raiders. The 49ers won 13-10 in what was a defensive battle, not the high-scoring offensive shootout some NFL analysts had predicted during the Summer.

This game was attended by 54,990 people who gathered inside Candlestick Park.

Last edited:
Montana
9:33 PM PST, August 4th, 1984
49ers Locker-Room, Candlestick Park, San Francisco, CA.
1984-08-04 Joe Montana press conference.jpg

Determined to make a more higher-prominent name for himself & the team, 49ers QB Joe Montana got 2 Super Bowl Championships in his belt, with showing his demonstrated ability to perform extremely well in high-pressure situations & strong supporting cast of players.

Craig
9:25 AM PST, August 10th, 1984

Santa Clara, CA.
p1010707.jpg

For San Francisco 49ers RB Roger Timothy Craig, he was becoming one of the historic franchise's best players on the offensive side of the football. Born on July 10th, 1960 in Davenport, IA. He attended Central High School in Davenport, graduating in 1979. There, he was teammates with future NFL TE Jamie Williams. His older brother, Curtis Craig, had also played RB, graduating from Central High in 1974. The Craig brothers were preceded at RB for Central High School by future Denver Broncos RB Jim Jensen. The 1976 team, with Roger Craig & Williams, won the IA State Championship under Football Coach Jim Fox. In 1978, his Senior year, Craig rushed for 1,565 Rushing Yds & 27 TDs, earning prep All-American honors.

The 49ers Preseason Outlook:

August 4th, 1984: San Francisco defeated the Los Angeles Raiders 13-10 at Candlestick Park, which was attended by 54,990 people. Broadcast on CBS 5 KPIX-TV San Francisco.

August 11th, 1984: Denver Broncos defeated San Francisco 20-13 at Mile High Stadium in Denver, CO; Attendance consisted of 70,211 people, which was broadcast on CBS 5 KPIX-TV San Francisco.

August 18th, 1984: San Diego Chargers defeated San Francisco 35-15 at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego, CA; Attendance consisted of 58,356 people, which was broadcast on CBS Sports.

August 24th, 1984: San Francisco defeated the Seattle Seahawks 23-21 at Candlestick Park; Attendance consisted of 49,219 people; broadcast on CBS 5 KPIX-TV San Francisco.

Regular Season Schedule of the 1984 San Francisco 49ers

September 2nd, 1984: at Detroit (10:00 AM PST) CBS
September 10th, 1984: vs Washington (6:00 PM PST) ABC [Monday Night Football]
September 16th, 1984: vs New Orleans (1:00 PM PST) CBS
September 23rd, 1984: at Philly (10:00 AM PST) CBS
September 30th, 1984: vs Atlanta (1:00 PM PST) CBS
October 8th, 1984: at NY Giants (6:00 PM PST) ABC [Monday Night Football]
October 14th, 1984: vs Pittsburgh (1:00 PM PST) NBC
October 21st, 1984: at Houston (1:00 PM PST) CBS
October 28th, 1984: at Los Angeles Rams (1:00 PM PST) CBS
November 4th, 1984: vs Cincinnati (1:00 PM PST) NBC
November 11th, 1984: at Cleveland (10:00 AM PST) CBS
November 18th, 1984: vs Tampa (1:00 PM PST) CBS
November 25th, 1984: at New Orleans (1:00 PM PST) CBS
December 2nd, 1984: at Atlanta (10:00 AM PST) CBS
December 8th, 1984: vs Minnesota (1:00 PM PST) CBS [Saturday Night]
December 14th, 1984: vs Los Angeles Rams (6:00 PM PST) ABC [Monday Night Football Special]

Last edited:
Meanwhile at San Francisco City Hall

There was a crazed obsessed person, who was intrigued at the San Francisco 49ers blowout victory of the Los Angeles Raiders in the 1983 Super Bowl. She was also obsessed with 49ers QB Joe Montana "Joe baby. I want you, your dumb blonde of a wife is so damn annoying. I want you baby. Please notice me BABY."

This woman had been seen over at 49ers Training Camp on the campus of Sierra College.

Over in Sacramento

This crazed woman was obsessing over San Francisco 49ers QB Joe Montana: she had montages of pictures plastered on a secret closet wall including his 1981 Super Bowl MVP Trophy. She was completely disturbed & obsessed with the 49ers superstar QB, she not only wanted to be with him, she wanted everything: his family, the lifestyle, the mansion, fancy clothes, private jets, etc.,

"I cannot wait to be with you Joe Baby. You're gonna be mine forever!"

Last edited:
49ers Locker-Room: August 31st, 1984

1981-12-13 49ers vs. Oilers (V).jpg

The defending Super Bowl Champions were getting last minute instructions, advice from Coach Walsh during a filming session in preparation for their Season opener at Detroit set for Sunday, September 3rd. "Alright folks, we've got a lot of busy preparations before we fly out to Detroit this afternoon in order to prepare for the Season opener against the Lions, so here's what we got to do. George: I need the defensive players to be very sharp & aware of what the Lions would try to throw at us. Now Bobb, I need the offensive line to get their **** together soon because what happened in 1983 stays with 1983.....period! They also need to stop committing offensive penalties & false starts, which pisses me off to no end. On the special teams Fred, you might want to get those guys together & push them very hard in getting things downright perfect."

Last edited:
Season Opener
10:00 AM PST, Sunday, September 3rd, 1984
Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, MI.

1984-09-03 San Francisco @ Detroit.jpg

The Season Opener of 1984 began with an early kickoff between the defending Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers against the Detroit Lions. This was a rematch of the 1983 NFC Divisional Playoff between the 49ers & Lions (which the 49ers won that playoff game & later went onto winning the 1983 Super Bowl). However, during this Season Opener, the attendance at the Pontiac Silverdome turned out to be very pathetic....

Only 56,782 people showed up for the game, out of the 80,638-seated Silverdome. There were also 3,352 no shows, many of whom didn't bother showing up to watch the game live. The Lions struck first when Lions RB Billy Sims scored on a 2-Yd run in the 1st QTR to give Detroit a 7-0 lead, but the defending Super Bowl Champions (who were known for not backing down) struck back as 49ers QB Joe Montana hit Carl Monroe with a 5-Yd TD pass on the very last play of the opening QTR, tying the game 7-7.

Fast forward to the 2nd QTR, Lions K Eddie Murray sandwiched FGs of 39 & 43 Yds rounding a 2-Yd TD run by 49ers RB Wendell Tyler, so the 49ers lead 14-13 during halftime.

In the 2nd Half, Lions QB Garry Danielson put Detroit ahead 20-14 with a 2-Yd TD pass to James Jones in the 8:24 mark of the 3rd QTR. The 49ers then responded by tying up the game 20-20 following a 9-Yd TD run by Tyler, which had occurred following a 55-Yd punt return by Dana McLemore. Later on, the 49ers took the lead 27-20 going into the 4th QTR. However, the Lions would respond & continued giving the defending Super Bowl Champion 49ers fits all day: Lions WR Leonard Thompson took a pass from Danielson in stride at the 25-Yd line & raced untouched into the endzone, completing a 49-Yd TD pass that tied up the game 27-27 with just 5:01 to go in the game.

However, the 49ers would go on a long drive & kept driving down the field & 49ers K Ray Wersching kicked a 22-Yd FG with just 4 seconds left, San Francisco would go onto winning the game 30-27.

San Francisco's march to an undefeated Season began with a record of (1-0).

Last edited:
Lott
1:02 PM PST, Tuesday, September 4th, 1984

Sierra College, Rocklin, CA.

hall-of-fame-cornerback-ronnie-lott-of-the-san-francisco-49ers-runs-picture-id76003094

San Francisco 49ers CB/FS Ronald Mandel Lott (AKA Ronnie) was becoming very well-liked & highly regarded among many NFL analysts, sports broadcasters & others as one of the greatest NFL all-time in the safety position in the history of the NFL & one of the best players ever produced on the defensive side of the football.

The 49ers Offense
12:19 PM PST, Thursday, September 6th, 1984
49ers HQ, Santa Clara, CA.

Harrison, Cooper, Cross, Paris, Fahnhorst & Ayers.jpg

The offensive line protecting Montana & other offensive players was very well-known. During the 1984 Season, national hype & international hype was surrounding their much-hyped offensive firepower, which boasted 5 Pro Bowlers. Up front, 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen, Randy Cross, Fred Quillan, & Keith Fahnhorst, were selected to play in the Pro Bowl. Overall, the 49ers offense finished the 1984 Season ranked #2 in the NFL in scoring 475 points & 4th in 6,544 total Yds.

Last edited:
DeBartolo
8:31 AM PST, Friday, September 7th, 1984

49ers HQ, Santa Clara, CA.

1984 Super Bowl (V).jpg

San Francisco 49ers Owner Edward John DeBartolo, Jr., acquired the 49ers Franchise in 1977 & went threw Head Coaches Ken Meyer (1977), Pete McCulley & Fred O'Connor (1978), before managing to getting the biggest hire of all... Stanford University Football Coach Bill Walsh in 1979. In 1978, the long-suffering 49ers went (2-14), the Season before Walsh's arrival & repeated the same dismal record in Walsh's 1st Season as 49ers Football Coach.

Under DeBartolo's watch, the 49ers went from being a laughing stock to becoming one of the most dominant NFL Dynasties. He was also beloved as an owner & many of his former players including Hall of Famers Joe Montana, Steve Young & Jerry Rice, still think of him as the most caring owner in NFL history, often affectionately referring to him as Mr. D. DeBartolo's family approach to running the 49ers changed the landscape of the NFL . Under it, players were what mattered & that changed the face of the sport as other teams began to follow the 49ers' model in later years. DeBartolo affirms this, saying: "I tried to run the 49ers like a family rather than a business. I viewed the players & myself really, basically, as a partnership. Our goal was to win the Super Bowl every year & we had to do that together."