The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

Do you also see the Beatles doing an album of oldies similar to Lennon's solo Rock and Roll album he did in the mid-seventies? They can do cover versions of their favorite Elvis/Buddy Holly songs and other stuff and at least it will NOT be produced by Phil Spector ( there is quite a story about that one during Lennon's "Lost Weekend" in LA.).
How about the Fabs catching up with their hero, the King, in Las Vegas?

Do you also see the Beatles doing an album of oldies similar to Lennon's solo Rock and Roll album he did in the mid-seventies? They can do cover versions of their favorite Elvis/Buddy Holly songs and other stuff and at least it will NOT be produced by Phil Spector ( there is quite a story about that one during Lennon's "Lost Weekend" in LA.).
How about the Fabs catching up with their hero, the King, in Las Vegas?
The Beatles stopped doing covers after "Help!" but an album of covers might be possible if Paul & George were into it (Ringo would do it) but IOTL John only did the album for legal reasons and avoid paying some schmuck a lot of money out of his own pocket.
Elvis didn't like the Beatles from what I understand and blamed them for the corruption of America's youth.

The Beatles stopped doing covers after "Help!" but an album of covers might be possible if Paul & George were into it (Ringo would do it) but IOTL John only did the album for legal reasons and avoid paying some schmuck a lot of money out of his own pocket.
Elvis didn't like the Beatles from what I understand and blamed them for the corruption of America's youth.
More like Elvis being salty about the Beatles taking his fame

January 1972 - March 1972 ("All Things Must Pass" released)
Sorry about the delay again folks.

January 21, 1972 - Four weeks before the album is scheduled to be released, Apple Records issues a press release revealing the cover art for All Things Must Pass. They also state that despite the success of 666, Aphrodite's Child has already broken up due to creative differences within the group.

February 10, 1972 - Apple Records holds a launch party for All Things Must Pass at Trader Vic's in London on the eve of the album's release. In attendance are The Beatles, along with their wives and children, as well as Brian Epstein, Mary Hopkin, Jackie Lomax, Queen (who have not been signed to the label yet) and many other invited guests. Everyone in attendance receives a copy of the album.

February 11, 1972 - The album All Things Must Pass is released in the UK. Fans and the record buying public alike have waited over 22 months for new Beatles material and this album does not disappoint. Interestingly, the Lennon-McCartney songwriting credit does not appear. Instead, each song has been written by an individual group member, a product of the eight months the group spent away from each other. The songs also reinforce the fact that The Beatles have moved toward more live-friendly tunes rather than the experimental tinkering the group had been doing the last few years. This fuels rumors that The Beatles may go on tour again. All Things Must Pass tops the UK Albums chart for 10 weeks, becoming their 12th #1 UK album.

"All Things Must Pass"
Apple 20

SIDE 1
1. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
2. All Things Must Pass (Harrison)
3. Cold Turkey (Harrison-Lennon)
4. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Harrison)
5. I'm The Greatest (Lennon)
6. Another Day (McCartney)
7. Imagine (Lennon)

SIDE 2
1. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
2. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
3. Apple Scruffs (Harrison)
4. Oh Cynthia! (Lennon)
5. It Don't Come Easy (Harrison-Starkey)
6. The Back Seat Of My Car (McCartney)
7. Working Class Hero (Lennon)

February 15, 1972 - The album All Things Must Pass is released in the US as Apple 3370. All Beatles album releases in the US from this point forward will be unaltered from the UK version. The album is a smash hit in America, going straight to #1 on the album chart and staying there for 12 weeks. This is their 24th #1 US album.

March 10, 1972 - Sean Lennon is born to John and Cynthia Lennon at Queen Charlotte's Hospital in London. John's mother Julia attends the birth, as do Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

March 14, 1972 - The Beatles film a special taped announcement at Abbey Road studios to be aired on BBC TV the following week.

Last edited:
Wasn't What is Life on Abbey Road ITTL, and It Don't Come Easy should at least be Harrison/Starkey, as it was a group effort between the two. Otherwise, great work!

Wasn't What is Life on Abbey Road ITTL, and It Don't Come Easy should at least be Harrison/Starkey, as it was a group effort between the two. Otherwise, great work!

As a matter of fact, yes I did put "What Is Life" on Abbey Road! It's such a great song so that's maybe why I forgot. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll edit the album accordingly

<>
"All Things Must Pass"
Apple 20

SIDE 1
1. Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
2. All Things Must Pass (Harrison)
3. Cold Turkey (Lennon)
4. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Harrison)
5. I'm The Greatest (Lennon)
6. Another Day (McCartney)
7. Imagine (Lennon)

SIDE 2
1. My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
2. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
3. Apple Scruffs (Harrison)
4. Oh Cynthia! (Lennon)
5. It Don't Come Easy (Harrison-Starkey)
6. The Back Seat Of My Car (McCartney)
7. Working Class Hero (Lennon)

<>
That's a pretty dam good album and on par with OTL Beatles albums. :cool:
One thing though, how did Lennon come to write "Cold Turkey" ITTL?

I think ITTL the song is about when George and Ringo finally quit drugs after Epstein nearly died.
The song is about heroin addiction and the kind of song that could only be written by someone with first hand experience, Lennon said breaking the heroin habit was pure hell.
I could still see him writing a drug song with the same title but it won't be the same song. It might make more sense if George wrote the song ITTL and John gave him the title.

I wonder how Bowie is doing in this TL? Does he also get signed to Apple as originally hoped to in OTL?
Should the Fabs announce tour plans for 1972, it looks like Mal Evans and Neil Aspinall have their work cut out for them as they would be dealing with huge amps and PA systems and hiring a team of roadies, etc. The Fabs themselves will learn that the rules of the concert game have changed since '66. No more screaming teenyboppers but people who have actually come to listen.....

I wonder how Bowie is doing in this TL? Does he also get signed to Apple as originally hoped to in OTL?
Should the Fabs announce tour plans for 1972, it looks like Mal Evans and Neil Aspinall have their work cut out for them as they would be dealing with huge amps and PA systems and hiring a team of roadies, etc. The Fabs themselves will learn that the rules of the concert game have changed since '66. No more screaming teenyboppers but people who have actually come to listen.....
Wow! With Creedence, Aphrodite's Child, and possibly Bowie and Queen, Apple is becoming a hitmaking powerhouse

The song is about heroin addiction and the kind of song that could only be written by someone with first hand experience, Lennon said breaking the heroin habit was pure hell.
I could still see him writing a drug song with the same title but it won't be the same song. It might make more sense if George wrote the song ITTL and John gave him the title.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'll edit the album again.

Yeah it will be quite a shock to them to be able to actually hear themselves playing after not being able to before.

I really enjoy seeing Harrison being an equal in the group writing-wise ITTL. It's like the Beatles have 3 main songwriters instead of two with another kinda tagging along. And Ringo's just kinda like "I'm cool just playing drums."

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I'll edit the album again.

Yeah it will be quite a shock to them to be able to actually hear themselves playing after not being able to before.
I always feel bad when author edits his story because of a post I made but your edit here does make more sense and I like the sound of Harrison-Lennon, I hope they compose some more songs together. :cool:

I really enjoy seeing Harrison being an equal in the group writing-wise ITTL. It's like the Beatles have 3 main songwriters instead of two with another kinda tagging along. And Ringo's just kinda like "I'm cool just playing drums."
Don't forget Ringo had quite a few hits in the 70's IOTL, would be very interesting to see a No. 1 Beatles song with Ringo on lead vocals.

Don't forget Ringo had quite a few hits in the 70's IOTL, would be very interesting to see a No. 1 Beatles song with Ringo on lead vocals.

Actually...
August 8, 1966 - The album Revolver is released in the US as Capitol 2576. Omitted from the US version album are three songs that were already issued on the Yesterday... And Today album ("I'm Only Sleeping", "And Your Bird Can Sing", and "Doctor Robert"). That same day, "Yellow Submarine" b/w "Eleanor Rigby" is released in the US as Capitol 5715. The A-Side goes to #1 in two of the three major music trade magazines in the US, defying the controversies surrounding the butcher cover and John's out-of-context remarks. The B-Side makes the Top 20.