Status
Not open for further replies.
cup-fluffy-kitty-sit-wallpaper-11555161431pqitp3dddl.jpg

This cute kitty is interested to know which national parties from each Commonwealth member is in each Commonwealth Parliament party.

EDIT: Also, Sri Lanka is just one constituency? I'm assuming that the Commonwealth uses some form of PR.

The Imperials at least in Britain are at least broadly more Social Democratic ITTL than OTL Conservatives, IIRC, aren't they?

Then again, being run by a Rhodesian, given our understanding of Rhodesian domestic issues ITTL leaves me less than optimistic about their policies compared to the Progressives.

Cautiously hopeful for the Commonwealth's efforts against Climate Change.

This may be your best work yet, Kanan. Interesting to see someone from a rather small (population wise not economically) city state like Singapore have so many seats in the Commonwealth Parliament.

@Kanan , once again an excellent, world-class infobox and election maps!

It seems that climate change also played a big role in the 2019 Commonwealth Election, and from here, I have some questions:
  • Does a worldwide (young) movement like Fridays for Future exist ITTL? Is there a Greta Thunberg-like figure?
  • Has TTL done significantly more to combat climate change than OTL? Or is it about equal, or significantly less?
  • Are there as many climate change denialists ITTL? Is climate change denial a non-fringe political position in any OFC nation? Are far-right parties running on such agendas? Or is "climate change denial" a very much fringe movement like OTL German Reichsbürger etc.?
  • How are renewable energies (wind, solar power, hydropower,...) doing ITTL? Is there as much opposition to wind power as in OTL?

I've been a lurker here for a while, but as a fan of Victoria II I now feel obligated to comment and say this has been my favorite project to follow on the site since the day I wandered into maps and graphics and found it.

What’s the history of the Irish in New England ITTL? From what I’ve read, the potato famine still happens ITTL so still there’s a large Irish diaspora, although it looks like New England’s Irish population ITTL is smaller (unless the canon has changed, my guess is that less Irish end up going to New England since it’s more closely linked to Britain ITTL).

What’s the history of the Irish in New England ITTL? From what I’ve read, the potato famine still happens ITTL so still there’s a large Irish diaspora, although it looks like New England’s Irish population ITTL is smaller (unless the canon has changed, my guess is that less Irish end up going to New England since it’s more closely linked to Britain ITTL).

I thought about this too and concluded New York would have a far higher diaspora of Irish people.

Might be wrong though.

I think Daniel Newhouse became Prime Minister after the country's most recent federal election and had Canada readmitted into the Commonwealth as one of his campaign promises.

Wrong, the PCs fell well short of a majority and fell apart. The central and eastern wings of the party formed the Progressive Nationals and formed a coalition with the Liberals, and part of the coalition deal was the re-entry of Canada into the Commonwealth.

Just going back over the UK House of Commons, and with the Liberals and Labour being by far the largest parties, and I can't help but ask which voting bloc aligns with the Imperials and which with the Progressives in the Commonwealth Election? Given that Britain is largely split between them in the Commonwealth Election, I'm of course assuming that this reflects the split between parties at the national level.

On account of the varying colours used to reflect either group, I can't tell whether or not it's Labour or the Liberals who broadly adhere to the Progressive vote.

If so, it's making the Imperials look far less like OTL Tories than I had initially imagined, at least in terms of their presence in Great Britain.

Edit: So, going back over the election, Labour were in the Progressives. Does this mean the Liberals are affiliated with the Imperials?

Last edited:
cup-fluffy-kitty-sit-wallpaper-11555161431pqitp3dddl.jpg

This cute kitty is interested to know which national parties from each Commonwealth member is in each Commonwealth Parliament party.

EDIT: Also, Sri Lanka is just one constituency? I'm assuming that the Commonwealth uses some form of PR.

That's something I can work on for sure!! Let me finish this month's patreon requests and I'll get on it. For all the people interested:

I'm in a semi-rut right now with regards to content. I have some ideas but they couldn't really get off the ground. Feel free to comment below about what you want to see and if I like it, I'll do them!!

The Commonwealth uses many different electoral systems. FPTP, STV, IRV, Bloc Vote, it's all over the place!

I cant seem to find it anywhere but when was Canada readmitted to the Commonwealth?

About a year ago at the last Canadian federal election. Chrystia Freeland was elected as Prime Minister, and as part of her deal to have the Progressive Nationals support her, she needed to do a Parliamentary vote on entrance to the Commonwealth, which was highly popular due to the peace agreement in Burma.

The Imperials at least in Britain are at least broadly more Social Democratic ITTL than OTL Conservatives, IIRC, aren't they?

Then again, being run by a Rhodesian, given our understanding of Rhodesian domestic issues ITTL leaves me less than optimistic about their policies compared to the Progressives.

Cautiously hopeful for the Commonwealth's efforts against Climate Change.

British Politics as a whole has a shifted centre. The best way to view Britain is the "halfway Superpower." It still is a Superpower by any standards, and while America is a free-wheeling mostly regulated capitalist economy, the Soviet Union is still a top-down centrally planned economy. Britain is in the middle. Companies exist, for sure, but utilities are publicly owned. Saying you'd want to sell off British Rail in 2019 British politics would be akin to someone today saying "We need to privitise the entire NHS. It has failed." It's simply not going to happen. While I know this mixes and matches parties at different organisational levels, if you want to take 2019 British politics into it...

Empire's Guardians: BNP
Prosperity: LibDems/Conservative Mainstream/Blairite Labour
Justice: Greens/Communist
United Loyalists: Brexit/Tories/DUP/Blairite Labour
Progressive: Pre-Blair Labour/Corbyn Labour
Imperial: LibDems/Conservative Mainstream

There's a lot of overlap here, but that's to be expected with so many parties. The Imperials are considered the more "centrist" of the two major right-wing parties, but their positions are often muddled and hard to place on a left-right spectrum.

This may be your best work yet, Kanan. Interesting to see someone from a rather small (population wise not economically) city state like Singapore have so many seats in the Commonwealth Parliament.

Singapore has 3 seats. It's on par with a place like Somaliland (3.2m) and Jamaica (2.8m) that also have 3 seats.

@Kanan , once again an excellent, world-class infobox and election maps!

It seems that climate change also played a big role in the 2019 Commonwealth Election, and from here, I have some questions:
  • Does a worldwide (young) movement like Fridays for Future exist ITTL? Is there a Greta Thunberg-like figure?
  • Has TTL done significantly more to combat climate change than OTL? Or is it about equal, or significantly less?
  • Are there as many climate change denialists ITTL? Is climate change denial a non-fringe political position in any OFC nation? Are far-right parties running on such agendas? Or is "climate change denial" a very much fringe movement like OTL German Reichsbürger etc.?
  • How are renewable energies (wind, solar power, hydropower,...) doing ITTL? Is there as much opposition to wind power as in OTL?

Fridays for Future, or something like it, does not exist. Climate change in general is taken much more seriously, and there are some more radical elements that do undertake activities like this, but they are seen as on the fringe. No major political party on the planet denies climate change, and even places like South Africa have done things to curb their emissions. While some very very minor parties support a more "critical look" at the science, major disagreements only come from how to pay for the switch to renewables and how fast it should be undertaken, as well as to invest in carbon capture technologies.

I've been a lurker here for a while, but as a fan of Victoria II I now feel obligated to comment and say this has been my favorite project to follow on the site since the day I wandered into maps and graphics and found it.

Awesome!! Thank you so much, and for chiming in!

There's still an extant Irish population and an Irish diaspora, but the bulk of the Irish went to the United States. Mostly New York and the Midwest, to escape total British control. But this only means that the Irish population is slightly reduced in New England.

I thought about this too and concluded New York would have a far higher diaspora of Irish people.

Might be wrong though.

No you are correct!! Irish are the largest ancestry group in New York state, hovering around 20%.

Wrong, the PCs fell well short of a majority and fell apart. The central and eastern wings of the party formed the Progressive Nationals and formed a coalition with the Liberals, and part of the coalition deal was the re-entry of Canada into the Commonwealth.

Pretty much this, except it was a vote in Parliament on re-entry, not unilateral re-entry.

What was Perot’s career like ITTL?

Pretty much just remained a wealthy businessman. Never entered politics.

Just going back over the UK House of Commons, and with the Liberals and Labour being by far the largest parties, and I can't help but ask which voting bloc aligns with the Imperials and which with the Progressives in the Commonwealth Election? Given that Britain is largely split between them in the Commonwealth Election, I'm of course assuming that this reflects the split between parties at the national level.

On account of the varying colours used to reflect either group, I can't tell whether or not it's Labour or the Liberals who broadly adhere to the Progressive vote.

If so, it's making the Imperials look far less like OTL Tories than I had initially imagined, at least in terms of their presence in Great Britain.

Edit: So, going back over the election, Labour were in the Progressives. Does this mean the Liberals are affiliated with the Imperials?

The Liberals mostly back the Imperials, with some backing the Progressives. Mostly depends on where the individual voter stands. Officially, the Liberals are in no grouping, while Labour was in the Progressives. Labour itself votes overwhelmingly between Justice and the Progressives, with the hope of bringing the Progressives more to the left (which is why they started their own parliamentary grouping).

Nice! I really like making Michael Moore a popular (and apparently pretty charismatic?) populist and trade unionist! It’s definitely a fun way to use the guy in the TL!

One thing I noticed though, and I hate to be this guy, you called Michael Moore a National in the second paragraph of the second infobox page. Otherwise everything looks great IMO!

Nice! I really like making Michael Moore a popular (and apparently pretty charismatic?) populist and trade unionist! It’s definitely a fun way to use the guy in the TL!

One thing I noticed though, and I hate to be this guy, you called Michael Moore a National in the second paragraph of the second infobox page. Otherwise everything looks great IMO!

You saw nothing! :p!!

And yeah! He is pretty charismatic and very popular. You'll see more of him soon.

You saw nothing! :p!!

And yeah! He is pretty charismatic and very popular. You'll see more of him soon.
Neat! I know he’s a candidate in the Social Labor Party primaries. Actually, that makes me wonder if the Social Labor Party has had a debate yet, and if so, how did it go? Did some candidates experience significant polling change?

Wait! I forgot the most important question of all!

Is there still Game of Thrones? If so, were all seasons good? I don't want no mediocre last season (yes I thought season 8 was decent, not bad, sue me).

Also, ugh Michael Moore.

Though I'm curious, does this commonwealth do more than OTL's commonwealth? Like does it do more things to boost the economies of its poorer members?

Last edited:
Feel free to comment below about what you want to see and if I like it, I'll do them!!
Well, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about important historical events as you did for the 2002 flight blackout, a look perhaps at some of the other Crown Colonies as you did for Suez, or some closer looks at European states like Portugal, Italy or the Netherlands. Anything on political developments in the Commonwealth is always interesting.

Of course, pretty much anything you decide to do would be fantastic, but those were just a few ideas I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.