The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Otto was made king of Hungary by a referendum, though one with the British and Italians putting a finger on the scales. Otto and the new Hungarian government seem to be using neutrality as insulation to drive for a western style democracy, like the post Authoritarian government in Romania.

Austria is a Fascist state, the former Austrian Dictator has been recovered from Nazi custody and it back in power. it seems to be setting up like the Warsaw Pact states of OTL. The Austrian Fascists will run the local affairs de facto, and de jure the foreign policy; but Italy is the senior partner and reserves a right to meddle if Austria seems to be leaving the Fascist line. Italy wants Austria string though as both a market for them, and to add a credible military to its assets for the expected next round with the Soviets.

I could see some resurgent Habsburg support in Austria here. Namely that if the Hungarian experiment succeeds certain antiFascists could see the dynasty as Antifascist, allies of democracy, and absence of excessive foreign influence. Had to say how the Hungarians will feel; by the time the Cold War ends. Though there will be no reborn AH i am intrigued at the concept of some kind of Danubian confederation between some of the former Habsburg possessions.

I don't know if it's a proper cliche or not, but I always kind of get a rise out of Austria forming a sort of fascist "South Germany" counterpart to the democratic West Germany and the communist East Germany - one that once the three-wayish Cold War ends, sees all three reform a united Germany.

Ah. Might want to be more clear in the future. It read very differently as initially posted.

Looking back, I realize it might have been seen as an endorsement of conspiracy theories - given I think that's a bannable offense, I am REALLY glad I got to elaborate.

gurgu

Banned
Otto was made king of Hungary by a referendum, though one with the British and Italians putting a finger on the scales. Otto and the new Hungarian government seem to be using neutrality as insulation to drive for a western style democracy, like the post Authoritarian government in Romania.

Austria is a Fascist state, the former Austrian Dictator has been recovered from Nazi custody and it back in power. it seems to be setting up like the Warsaw Pact states of OTL. The Austrian Fascists will run the local affairs de facto, and de jure the foreign policy; but Italy is the senior partner and reserves a right to meddle if Austria seems to be leaving the Fascist line. Italy wants Austria string though as both a market for them, and to add a credible military to its assets for the expected next round with the Soviets.

I could see some resurgent Habsburg support in Austria here. Namely that if the Hungarian experiment succeeds certain antiFascists could see the dynasty as Antifascist, allies of democracy, and absence of excessive foreign influence. Had to say how the Hungarians will feel; by the time the Cold War ends. Though there will be no reborn AH i am intrigued at the concept of some kind of Danubian confederation between some of the former Habsburg possessions.
As i said just before, i think an AH reformation is possible, but otto has to enter the roman alliance and have a nation at least partially fascist. the main problem would be Stalin( kruschev would maybe let it be he was a bit more reasonable)

I think this timeline is straight up “dystopia” what make it interesting is making ideology we disagree with having success which can make it rather uncomfortable.

Sure it is worse of than OTL for some (poor poland and finland) but it is no where near as bad for everyone as TNO timeline.
What the heck I just realize I made a typo and said the exact opposite of what I want. I want to say that this timeline is not straight up dystopia...

I agree it is neither good or bad just like real life. Many fascist “victory” timeline have the world turn into dystopia this one just stay in the gray area without being portray as totally good or totally bad.

On the one hand, the Holocaust has killed less people, and we have President Albert Einstein. On the other hand, Mussolini is lionized by the American public, so...yeah.

There is list of heads of state and governments of some major nations:

Presidents of United States

32. Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democrat) 1933 - 1944
33. Henry A. Wallace (Democrat) 1944 - 1948
34. Harry S. Truman (Democrat) 1948
35. Joseph Martin (Republican) 1948 - 1949
36. George S. Patton (Republican) 1949 -

Leaders of USSR

Josif Stalin (1924 - )

Monarchs of United Kingdom

George VI (1936 - )

Prime Ministers of United Kingdom

Winston Churchill (Tory) 1940 - 1950
Hugh Gaitskell (Labour) 1950 -

Leaders of France

Philippe Petain (1940 - 1944, Vichy)
Charles de Gaulle (1940 - 1944, Free France)
Charles de Gaulle (1944 - , provisional government/Fourth Republic)

China

Chiang Kai-Shek (1928 - , Republic of China)
Mao Zedong (1945 - , People's Republic of China)

Monarchs of Italy

Victor Emmanuel III (1900 - 1947)
Umberto II (1947 - )

Prime Ministers of Italy

Benito Mussolini (1922 - )

Leaders of Nazi Germany

Adolf Hitler (1933 - 1944)
Heinrich Himmler (1944)

Emperors of (West-) Germany

Ferdinand V (1949 - )

I am not sure who is chancellor of Germany. Adenauer like in OTL?

Adenauer is indeed Chancellor.

Map of World - 1950
There is world map. Note that this is not quiet accurate and surely there is some mistakes. And some things are just pure guesses when there is not all information what should be. But I attempted make that so closely that what it should be in 01/01/1950.

EDIT: Some fixings there.

1950.png

Last edited:
There is world map. Note that this is not quiet accurate and surely there is some mistakes. And some things are just pure guesses when there is not all information what should be. But I attempted make that so closely that what it should be in 01/01/1950.

View attachment 471298

Excellent map, and my only correction would be that the ROC is far smaller. It’s no further north than Hong Kong. If I was really stingy I’d wonder whether it would be worth it to make Serbia red.

As i said just before, i think an AH reformation is possible, but otto has to enter the roman alliance and have a nation at least partially fascist. the main problem would be Stalin( kruschev would maybe let it be he was a bit more reasonable)

I doubt Otto wants RA membership. The IU sources had him reluctantly working with the Danubian dictators and Mussolini was a means to an end. He's actually in good place right now to establish his dynasty in Hungary with Neutrality keeping foreign meddling to a minimum. I think Otto's biggest projects will be trying to reconcile with the Serbian minority in Hungary, and trying to build strong ties with fellow neutral nation, Romania.

He may offer refuge too for refugees from the Fascist ad Communist states.