Under Center: The NFL In The New Millennium

Jarheads? Leathernecks? Crayon-munchers?

Shit, that would be awesome - have a Marine-themed team based out of San Diego, a Navy-themed team in Virginia Beach/Norfolk, an Army-themed team and an Air Force team somewhere else, and the rivalries write themselves.

In another world, the Buffalo Minutemen, Baltimore Fleet, Denver Blackhawks, and San Diego Frogmen would have feuded.

Chapter Twelve, Part Part Six: Super Bowl XLVII, 2012 In Sports, & A Leaf Falls
February 3, 2013: The New York Giants win Super Bowl XLVII, defeating the Indianapolis Colts, 37-35, as Drew Brees throws for three touchdowns and 309 yards, while Peyton Manning throws for two touchdowns, 298 yards, and an interception while running for 18 yards and a touchdown. Brian Urlacher is named Super Bowl MVP, after two sacks, a forced fumble, and the game-sealing interception, and he announces his retirement when accepting the award, leaving the game as a surefire Hall of Famer, and one of the greatest middle linebackers to ever play.

2012 In Sports:
Super Bowl: Giants def. Colts
World Series: Mariners def. Cardinals in 6
College Football: #3 USC def. #1 Ohio State in Manhattan Stadium

The 2012 MLB Season was notable for the rise of the Texas Rangers and Chicago White Sox as powers in the AL, and the reduced production of the Blue Jays, while the NL continued to be dominated by the Cardinals and Dodgers, although the Mets became a playoff team, as their young team, led by Chris Sale and David Wright, made the NLDS but lost to the Cardinals in five games. The Texas Rangers went, in a span of four years, from being one of the worst teams in the league to the best, and brought their fans the first World Series in franchise history, behind Max Scherzer and Jason Heyward. The Blue Jays notably had less success, still making the playoffs in the Wild Card spot, but losing to the A’s in the game. The Dodgers, led by NL MVP Mike Trout, nearly won the NLCS, only losing the series in seven games, the last of which lasted fourteen innings and didn’t end until Albert Pujols was put back into the game as a pinch hitter, and hit a monster home run.

February 23, 2013: Ryan Leaf announces his retirement from the NFL. He cites physical breakdown and memory loss as reasons for him leaving and says that he is experiencing early symptoms of CTE. He leaves with the farewell of;

“As my mind may leave and my body may follow it, I want you all to know, my heart will always stay on the field. I am, and will always be, grateful for everything I’ve been through to stand in front of all of you today. If I were talking to you in 2001, I could have never imagined what I would do in the following years. Everybody has their journey. I’ve gone from the biggest draft bust in the history of the NFL to a Comeback Player of the Year, a multiple time conference champion, a CFL Most Outstanding Rookie, an AFL Offensive Player of the Year, and an Arena Bowl champion. My life changed because my attitude changed with it, and without football in my life, with the motivation this league has provided, I would probably be in prison right now. I would like you all to know that while I may become forgetful, I cherish the memories of playing on the field, against Brian Urlacher, Robert Mathis, Earl Thomas, and Richard Sherman. With Demaryius Thomas, who I don’t think has ever dropped a pass. With Jason Taylor who, both on the Seahawks and the Dolphins, made sure that when we scored, the other team didn’t have the chance to score back. With Coach Holmgren in my ear talking about scoring drives, and how sweet it feels to lift a Lombardi. These years are the best of my life, and when I die, they will be the ones that I want to be remembered by. With this in mind, I am retiring from the NFL. Thank you all, and God Bless.”

Leaf’s retirement leaves the Seahawks without a proper starting QB, and they begin to look through free agency and the draft for one.

Last edited:
Glad I can return a small part of the entertainment this thread has given me.

Thank you very much. I’m glad that I can entertain people here, it’s really what I’ve wanted to do by writing this whole thing, in addition to amusing myself. What’s your favorite team (sorry if you’ve already said, my mind is hectic right now)?

Ricobirch

Monthly Donor
I'm a Bronco fan & I love DT(Best receiver in Bronco history not named Smith), but...dude had a tendency to look past catching the ball.

Chapter Thirteen, Part One: Concussion Conundrum, The 2013 NFL Draft, & The FFL Is Born
February 28, 2013: On air, Tom Brady comes out as a CTE sufferer, saying:

“Now, Ryan has made this affliction well known in the past few days. It’s something that I, too, struggle with and am affected by, as are many, many different former and current players. First, it comes for your little thoughts and memories, the playbook, certain people’s names, that sort of thing. Then, it hits you hard. CTE is a major issue, and it causes many things to happen in your mind. I’ve been wildly depressed and then viciously angry, without much cause, in short amounts of time, and my memory has been fading since I was first brought down on that horrible Thanksgiving Day. It affects all football players who get hit several times, and it affects many more than you would think.”

The same day, Joe Namath did the same, saying that he treated it with experimental practices and was able to heal a bit, Lawrence Taylor announced that he too suffered, Bo Jackson did the same, and two older legends, Ken “The Snake” Stabler and Frank Gifford, both announced they, too, suffered from CTE. The resulting discussion is one of shock and horror regarding the damage done and attempts to fix the problem begins, with many petitioning the NFL to in some way change their rules.

April 25-27, 2013: With #1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select DE Barkevious Mingo out of Alabama. With the #21 overall pick, the San Fransisco 49ers select CB Darius Slay out of Ole Miss. With the #27 overall pick, the Los Angeles Raiders select OT David Bakhtiari out of Colorado. With the #28 overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select WR DeAndre Hopkins out of USC. With the #31 overall pick, the Seattle Seahawks select RB Le’Veon Bell out of Michigan State. With the #35 overall pick, the Steelers select TE Zach Ertz out of Stanford.

May 5, 2013: The FFL’s first game is broadcast on ESPN, between the New York Knights, led by Head Coach Mike McCarthy and QB Jimmy Garoppolo, and the San Diego Chargers, led by a high-powered defense and young QB Robby Bortles. The game is a thriller, and closes at 33-26 in favor of the Knights, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for four touchdowns, one interception, and 313 yards, and Bortles throws for two touchdowns and 286 yards, along with two interceptions. It is a massive critical and rating success, and is praised as an inventive new way for football to be played, as it eliminates the kickoff, allows for anyone on the offense to be a receiver, and has a new system for extra points.

February 28, 2013: On air, Tom Brady comes out as a CTE sufferer, saying:

“Now, Ryan has made this affliction well known in the past few days. It’s something that I, too, struggle with and am affected by, as are many, many different former and current players. First, it comes for your little thoughts and memories, the playbook, certain people’s names, that sort of thing. Then, it hits you hard. CTE is a major issue, and it causes many things to happen in your mind. I’ve been wildly depressed and then viciously angry, without much cause, in short amounts of time, and my memory has been fading since I was first brought down on that horrible Thanksgiving Day. It affects all football players who get hit several times, and it affects many more than you would think.”

The same day, Joe Namath did the same, saying that he treated it with experimental practices and was able to heal a bit, Lawrence Taylor announced that he too suffered, Bo Jackson did the same, and two older legends, Ken “The Snake” Stabler and Frank Gifford, both announced they, too, suffered from CTE. The resulting discussion is one of shock and horror regarding the damage done and attempts to fix the problem begins, with many petitioning the NFL to in some way change their rules.

April 25-27, 2013: With #1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers select DE Barkevious Mingo out of Alabama. With the #21 overall pick, the San Fransisco 49ers select CB Darius Slay out of Ole Miss. With the #27 overall pick, the Los Angeles Raiders select OT David Bakhtiari out of Colorado. With the #28 overall pick, the Los Angeles Rams select WR DeAndre Hopkins out of USC. With the #31 overall pick, the Seattle Seahawks select RB Le’Veon Bell out of Michigan State. With the #35 overall pick, the Steelers select TE Zach Ertz out of Stanford.

May 5, 2013: The FFL’s first game is broadcast on ESPN, between the New York Knights, led by Head Coach Mike McCarthy and QB Jimmy Garoppolo, and the San Diego Chargers, led by a high-powered defense and young QB Robby Bortles. The game is a thriller, and closes at 33-26 in favor of the Knights, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for four touchdowns, one interception, and 313 yards, and Bortles throws for two touchdowns and 286 yards, along with two interceptions. It is a massive critical and rating success, and is praised as an inventive new way for football to be played, as it eliminates the kickoff, allows for anyone on the offense to be a receiver, and has a new system for extra points.
I'm curious on how the NFL in this TL will handle CTE. It a very tricky subject. Hope it will work out.

I'm surprise the Knights would win. FFL looks like it could be the alternative this NFL TL needed. Will you also cover the FFL championship game also?

I'm curious on how the NFL in this TL will handle CTE. It a very tricky subject. Hope it will work out.

I'm surprise the Knights would win. FFL looks like it could be the alternative this NFL TL needed. Will you also cover the FFL championship game also?

With Steve Young, a former player, as the Commissioner, and high-profile cases, it will be a much more swift reaction.

Why are you surprised about the Knights winning? The FFL is definitely something needed here. The NFL is getting somewhat complacent, and the FFL is appealing to both small and large fanbases, through young players, hungry veterans, and a style of play identical to that of college, highly inspired by Saban's Giants. I'll be covering the FFL Championship Game, called "The Federal Bowl", also known as "The Fed Bowl", which will be held, this year, in the Citrus Bowl, in early August.

Chapter Thirteen, Part Two: Rule Changes, Buffalo's Re-Opening, & Tank Bowl I
May 7, 2013: The NFL agrees to eliminate kickoffs, and allows for owners to own other teams within their market. They plan to instead start on the 25-yard line, hoping to stop the concussions caused by the kickoff. The NFL brass promises that they will research other ways to prevent injuries, including the radical proposal of the elimination of many pads and helmets, as a way for players to naturally regulate hits and force.

May 12, 2013: On the FFL’s Sunday Night Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Houston Roughnecks defeat the Buffalo Mountainmen in Buffalo, 22-8, as their QB, Josh McCown, passes for two touchdowns, 277 yards, and one interception. The game is the first to be held in Buffalo since the Bills left, and produces a massive turnout, as a crowd clad with Mountainmen merchandise cheers on their team. The Mountainmen QB, Brian Hoyer, is welcomed like a hero before the game, and even in defeat, the crowd chants “We’ll be back” and “Let’s go Mounties”.

May 19, 2013: On the FFL’s Sunday Night Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Orlando Apollos defeat the Salt Lake Legion, 19-18, in a nail biter defensive slugfest, where Ryan Fitzpatrick of the Apollos throws three interceptions against one touchdown, and JT O’Sullivan of the Legion throws four interceptions and no touchdowns. The game, while considered somewhat boring, is still well-regarded by many critics as a showing of the offensive-minded league’s blossoming defenses.

Chapter Thirteen, Part Three: Shootout, Comeback, & A Floating Saint
May 26, 2013: On the FFL’s Sunday Night Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Houston Roughnecks (3-0) defeat the San Diego Chargers (2-1) in San Diego, 40-40 off of an overtime shootout after the overtime failed to produce a winner. The Roughnecks scored first during the shootout, making them the winners of the game, which is the first in league history to utilize the rule. The ending, while well received, was credited as the reason that the terms “FFL rules”, “FFL shootout”, “football shootout”, and “overtime shootout” were searched on Google by a large number of people.

June 2, 2013: On the FFL's Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Buffalo Mountainmen (2-2) defeat the New York Knights (4-0), in Buffalo, 29-21, notable for an intense fourth-quarter comeback from being down 21-6. Brian Hoyer throws two touchdowns in the final five minutes, three touchdowns in the game total.

June 4, 2013: The NFL votes to adopt one of the FFL’s TV innovations, the “Halo Ball”, which shows the football, in the air, engulfed in a white glow to help the viewers follow it. The effect, usually compared to the glow puck, is met with a widely positive reaction, as opposed to the reaction to the glow puck.

Last edited:
Good update. Though San Deigo lost to New York in week 1. There record for the season right now is 2-1.

Thanks, I kind of had a mental slip there, I meant to have Houston be 3-0 and San Diego is 2-1. I'm going to have them expand after this season, so if anyone has any recommendations for cities or team names, let me hear em.

Thanks, I kind of had a mental slip there, I meant to have Houston be 3-0 and San Diego is 2-1. I'm going to have them expand after this season, so if anyone has any recommendations for cities or team names, let me hear em.
What the cities you would like to see the FFL place new teams?

Virginia and Portland would be good spots.

What the cities you would like to see the FFL place new teams?

Virginia and Portland would be good spots.

Really, I just want a city on each side of the Mississippi River, Virginia/Norfolk would be good, so would Portland. I'm hoping the FFL could get teams in a sort of NBA way, where there are big cities and little cities. I have a soft spot for a lot of those teams, and I think it's smart business.

Also, Trump has been only half paying attention to the Knights, but he hopes for an NFL buyout or merger, maybe even a minor league deal, as a way to legitimize his ownership, and give him a stepping stone to own a major team, maybe an expansion team.

Chapter Thirteen, Part Four: The Rest of the FFL Season, The Playoff Round, & The Honors
June 9, 2013: On the FFL’s Sunday Night Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Salt Lake Legion (0-5) defeat the San Diego Chargers (4-1), in an unexpected blowout, 41-16. The game draws huge numbers, credited to Twitter, where many commentators and fans tweet about the ass-kicking the powerhouse Chargers are getting at the hands of the Legion. The FFL announces they plan to expand the league after the season and hope to begin preparing for expansion during the playoffs.

June 16, 2013: The FFL’s off-week brings Mark Sanchez into the league, as he signs with the Roughnecks to replace now-injured QB, Josh McCown. When asked about what he hopes to do, Sanchez says “I plan on making Houston this league’s dynasty. I see Federal Bowl trophies in our future.”

June 23, 2013: In the FFL’s Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Houston Roughnecks (6-2) defeat the Orlando Apollos (1-5) in Orlando, 28-3

June 30, 2013: In the FFL’s Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Buffalo Mountainmen (4-4) defeat the San Diego Chargers (6-2) in Buffalo, 44-34, as Brian Hoyer rushes for two touchdowns and passes for another.

July 7, 2013: In the FFL’s Primetime Slot on ESPN, the Orlando Apollos (1-7) defeat the Salt Lake Legion (1-7) in Salt Lake City, 24-6.

July 14, 2013: In the FFL’s Primetime Slot on ESPN, the New York Knights (7-2) defeat the Houston Roughnecks (7-2) in Houston, 19-7, in the final game of the season, leading up to the playoffs. The Knights and Roughnecks are both on the top of their Conferences.

July 21, 2013: The FFL Playoffs begin, as the Houston Roughnecks (7-3) face the San Diego Chargers (7-3) in the Western Conference Championship Game in Houston, and the New York Knights (8-2) face the Buffalo Mountainmen (5-5) in the Eastern Conference Championship Game in New York. The Chargers win the WCC, 29-18, in a dominating win during which they shut out the Roughnecks for the first three quarters, and they end a comeback attempt by the Roughnecks. The Knights dominate the Mountainmen in the ECC, 55-12, as Jimmy Garoppolo passes for six touchdowns and 343 yards, and Brian Hoyer passes for four interceptions.

July 22, 2013: The FFL Honors are announced:

FFL MVP: Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Knights
-3,214 Passing Yards
-21 Passing Touchdowns
-8 Interceptions

FFL Offensive Player of the Year: Devonta Freeman, RB, Roughnecks
-789 Rushing Yards
-9 Rushing Touchdowns
-1 Fumble

FFL Defensive Player of the Year: Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Chargers
-5 Interceptions
-15 Pass Deflections