Alternate warships of nations

McPherson

Banned
I'm not sure this counts as an alternative warship. They actually built four of them. The Sangamon class.

Uss_sangamon_CVE-26.jpg

These ships while very useful during Torch really made Nimitz's job much harder in 1942 as converting cut down the number of fast oilers in the USN by a third. And then we lost Neosho at Coral Sea which by many accounts hurt the Pacfic Fleet's combat abilities almost as badly as losing Lexington which says all you need to know about how little money Congress had spent on the construction of modern auxiliaries during the interwar period.

Both points I hammer hard in "Those Marvelous Tin Fish". One of the reasons the USN went nuclear aircraft carrier is the lessons of the Pacific War. We should pay close attention to lessons enemy learns from that event. Just saying if some present adversary EVER figures out why Uncle might want a 100% nuclear navy in the near future, assuming Lockmart gets its reactor to work, it could be bad news in the PACIFIC.

In the context of an ATL, I may have a surprise ATL for Marvelous Tin Fish in the near future.

dd8gv49-2c0d3d02-5faa-4b41-bd80-1e70b2fa699e.png

Around the same time the Regulus armed version proposed a similar Polaris armed version was drawn up on the same lines as the single ended design calling for 16 vertical launch tubes abaft the second funnel. Such a conversion at that time was estimated around 210 million dollars (of which only the Polaris costed 36 million!) and a conversion time requiring three and a half years for each ship. In both Polaris versions, estimates were made to see how quick a surface Polaris system could be operational. Other designs included conversions of existing cruisers or even newly built ships. By this time the Kentucky was no more and the rest of the Iowa class battleships would had been converted.
While the BBG proposal was included in the tentative Fiscal Year 1958 programs (as of 1956 april) but soon deleted from both the 1958 and 1959 programs. However slightly later in November of 1958 the firector of the Long Range Objectives Group favoured the Talos conversion for the 1961-62 Fiscal Year programs if cost could be held below that of the Nuclear missile cruiser USS Long Beach. The idea was seriously considered as late as of 1960, meaning the USN strongly needed such warships but the money allocated for them was never voted fore, dying the program altogether. Still not that later a different covnersion proposal emerged in the form of the Commando Ship a hybrid between a Battleship, Amphibious assault ship and Helicopter Carrier showing how well these ships made able to draw such many conversion proposals!

The designs had these characteristics:
Dimensions: 262,1m(wl), 270,4m (oa) x 33 x 11m
Displacement: unknown
Engines: 212.000shp General Electric / Westinghouse Steam Turbines, 4 shafts
Speed: 61km/h (33knots)
Range: 27.800km at 28km/h (15000nm at 15knots)
Armour: 178mm, Deck over machinery and magazines, 307mm Belt over machinery and magazines.
Armaments:
2x2 5"/38 (127mm/38) Mark 12 DP-AA Guns,
2x2 RIM-8 Talos SAM,
4x2 RIM-24 Tartar SAM,
2x8 RGM-27 Polaris A1 IRBM
1x8 RUR-5 ASROCK ASWM
Sensors:
SPS-10 - Surface search radar
SPS-30 - Height finder radar
SPS-34 - Height finder search radar (modified SPS-2)
SPS-43 - Air search radar
4x SPG-49 - Talos Illumination/tracking radars
8x SPG-51 - Tartar Illumination/tracking radars
4x SPW-2 - Talos guidance radars
2x Mark 37 Gun Directors with SPG-25 fire control radars
1x Radio Star Tracker Dome containing a Transit satellite navigation receiver antenna (Early version of the Global Positioning System)
1x TACAN - TACtical Air Navigation system

Sauce - https://www.deviantart.com/tzoli/art/Double-Ended-Iowa-class-BBG-Version-2-800284041

King on the US side for some reason from WW I on, as an example, really hated the British RN officer corps and never lost that attitude. Seems that while he was an observer in WW I aboard several British warships he got a close up and personal view of the RN officer corps that rubbed him the wrong way. No one has ever found the reason

According to Kings Daughter this was not true "Daddy simply hated everyone"

If such a conversion was done, it would be a logistical nightmare for the USN, as the vessel demanded a large crew and huge fuelconsumption, like all BB's, in a time when drastic cuts were needed in teh personel and costs, as there was no war to fight on the scale of WW2. A much smaller hull could have been converted to do the same thing, which was basically the Cleveland Class Missile conversion, which was simmilar, though without the alreay questional placement of the Polaris missiles.

Secondly, the BB hull is a huge magnet for any hostile attention in any conflict, coupled with the large amount of missiles placed on it and the fuel needed for these missiles, the ship becomes a floating bomb easily, once hit by any sort of weapon, or even a simple accident. Since most of the weapons were not longer in the deep internal shell and propellant magazines used for the guns before, bit rather mounted above the hull in teh superstructure mostly, the ship becomes a liabiltiy in any sort of combat. Especially the presence of the ICBM's in a very large superstructure, will be a serious compromise in safety control. (Besides the lack of stealth a SSBN has and a tall BB has not)

McPherson

Banned
According to Kings Daughter this was not true "Daddy simply hated everyone"

I'm not going to dispute the issue at all. King was a drunk, a womanizer and an universal hater. After Leahy screwed everything up in 1937 and Stark followed him thereafter to make it much much worse^1, FDR needed someone who could pull things together. For all that King did wrong in the one critical area where we can blame him (Battle of the Atlantic, Drumbeat, and his refusal to listen to the British because of his Anglo-phobia...) he tended to eventually make correct decisions and even in the Battle of the Atlantic, (Once Royal Ingersoll took over that problem.) he ironed his mistakes out. American leadership as bad as it was in 1941, 1942, and 1943 was better than Britain's navally in their respective admiralties by 2 orders of magnitude. YMMV and it should about that opinion, but that notion is my personal opinion and I think I have some grounds for it; however cloudy the history still remains about King and Pound, et al...
=====================================

Hybrid flattops.

That's revolting.

Well done.

Apparently, not by the Japanese; there seems to have been some question about their pre-war modernizations in the entire battle-line, from the elevation of the guns to the reworked superstructures on their battleships in general. Somehow, Ise's and Hyuga's cases were more unusual in defective result than expected. In their cases the Pagoda superstructures piled too much weight at that flotation section of the hull causing some severe hull frame stress. Armor redistribution was not well thought or somehow was poorly reworked, the anti-torpedo defense was still suspect and although later the Japanese properly ballasted for the removal of the aft turrets when they slapped on that hanger and flight deck, the concrete ballast was set a bit too high in the float bubble void screwing up metacentric moment; causing the Ise and Hyuga to shimmy shammy like wriggling worms, when at full power. Self sinkers they could have been if they had been used more in that configuration. I think my botch-job might have in RTL been a worse engineering disaster result?

Also a lot more useful for the IJN than the semi-semi conversions undertaken. Bigger flight deck = more aircraft carried (Assuming the IJN / IJA had any left at that stage)

Well, the Japanese had no problem building airframes. It was the engines and pilots shortage that was problem. (Sen-sui-ni-kwa-nuh stu-tse-kwa na-hei or 先祖に加わる一つの旅 or one trip to join the ancestors.) was the solution. Shinano was built to be an aviation depot ship and a launch platform for kamikazes.

Its still a hybrid though - they would have been better off making light carriers or even MACs

I think I agree with this assessment.

^1. One has no idea how bad the Fat Leonard Scandal is in the modern context, but the Redman brothers in 1942, I believe, because of their buffalo shipping with Navy Crypto, added a whole year to PACFlt's woes (Santa Cruz was as much those imbeciles' faults as it was Halsey who ordered Kincaid to act on their garbage "cooked intel".). I think there is a good case for capital sentences to be handed out after courts martial in the case of the Glenn Marine scandal, and that the Redmans should have been sent to prison for their shenanigans in 1942 and 1943. Sheesh, the two cases stink for the same exact reasons!

Last edited:

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
You mean "see-saws" as in something that pivots along the gun's pivot axis (trunnion) to line up with whatever angle the gun is at? That's the mechanism used in the US 6"/47 Mark 16 DP (for powder only, the shells were manually loaded), the US 8"/55 RF, the Oto Melara 76 mm, the US 5"/54 (both Mark 42 and Mark 45), the US 8"/55 Mark 71, and probably many other modern guns.

I do mean that. Nice to know I was on the right track. Thanks. Not so easy to load at any angle of elevation from the side.

I'm wondering why a three gun turret to 14in guns wasn't tried on the KGV class? Still too top heavy? Just how wrong were initial estimates on that design? 14x 14in has some appeal. 12x 14in is still an option, but with greater top weight.

A new lighter triple might even retrofit the 15in twins. Not that it would ever come to that. I'm trying to understand the thinking at the time. Does any springstyle of KGV exist I can adapt to test?

Last edited:
CVUnicorn1943.png

I is a depot ship!!!

And 'I' should have had 2 sisters but 'I' had too much angst and hand wringing by their nibs over me being seen by other major naval nations as something other than an Aircraft Maintenance ship.....well after anyone who might have given a staku no longer gave a staku

And 'I' should have had 2 sisters but 'I' had too much angst and hand wringing by their nibs over me being seen by other major naval nations as something other than an Aircraft Maintenance ship.....well after anyone who might have given a staku no longer gave a staku
Its interesting as by 1937 2LNT GB/RN was not quantitatively limited any more.......simply declare her as a CV and its totally legal?

More fun would be to simply lay down the light fleets in 37/38 instead of OTL I class..... legal but how would others react....

Well they'd wonder why the RN was suddenly building 16 Aircraft Carriers in merchant shipyards for a start. The RAF would go completely barmy about the Hundreds of aircraft (not counting reserve stocks) they would need as well.

McPherson

Banned
Why the KGVs might have been 4-2-4 x 14 instead of 3-3-3 x 15

I do mean that. Nice to know I was on the right track. Thanks. Not so easy to load at any angle of elevation from the side.

Flop-rammer behind the gun. (see saw Mark 2)

I'm wondering why a three gun turret to 14in guns wasn't tried on the KGV class? Still too top heavy? Just how wrong were initial estimates on that design? 14x 14in has some appeal. 12x 14in is still an option, but with greater top weight.

Some uncertainty here, but triplet guns in individual isolated gun pits would have not meant much difference in the barbette turntable size. By using known and certain designs for twins, the result is that from a known twin to a quadruple is an "apparent" design simplicity and shortcut. Of course after the practical result reveals the error in the wrong thought process it is too late to go back and design a triple from scratch.

A new lighter triple might even retrofit the 15in twins. Not that it would ever come to that. I'm trying to understand the thinking at the time. Does any springstyle of KGV exist I can adapt to test?

Same again. All sorts of unforeseen consequences from ballast issues to armor redistribution to frame stress carries through and down. Refer to the problems the IJN and Italians had in their rebuilds. Or the Americans.... You think some of the Pearl Harbor rebuilds did not have potential hogging issues that had to be factored when they were "modernized" with their new superstructures?

uss_bb_44_west_virginia_1937-64821.jpg

And...

uss-bb-48-west-virginia-1945.gif

48D.jpg

"I'm just an angel in disguise."

Note that her upper works were razed to the strength deck, she's a lot fatter in the mid section and she looks like a SoDak now?

The obvious 1944 gun suite (AAA to a fare thee well)m, the radars and the directors, are plain to see. What one does not see is that inside that outer skin below the new superstructure, the Americans rebuilt her entire amidships torpedo and bomb damaged section, rehung her belt armor, added a huge antitorpedo blister, reframed her and rearranged subdivisions and bulkheads inside as they trunked her funnels, added forced ventilation, rearranged compartmentation fattened her up with that huge new torpedo blister, replaced/repaired her electric motor/generator sets and upgraded her physical plant. 2 and 1/3 years at Pearl and Puget Sound she was undergoing this work. Under wartime conditions and pressures the only thing left somewhat untouched on her was her main armament. Even that was tweaked inside the barbettes. Why? She clogged a couple of slipways, a drydock, and occupied 1,000 workers who could have been used to build a new ship, say a fast carrier or an oil tanker or even another gunship.

So why rebuild her? Pride? Or maybe someone needed a West Virginia congress cretin for some reason?

One might see the need to not float her out of the anchorage to clear a berth and then scuttle her in deep water for morale purposes back in that day like a sensible navy would have done (USS Maine 1898-1904), but it sure is weird that her old berth at Pearl still has a pier marker with her name on it to this day.

Anyway, besides making the point that insanity can be a group effort, the thing is from an engineering standpoint, when someone makes a glib suggestion about what could be ATL done to "improve" something, (Refer to my Ise Abortion above.) one must take into account the hidden details of why the RTL people of the time did not do what to us, post-hoc, seems "obvious".

Unless you are FDR or Bennie the Moose. Politics.

Last edited:
They looked at 3x3x16", 3x3x15", 3x4x14" as the options having already decided that,
- going for more than 3 mounts was to wasteful of weight
- they wanted at least 9 guns (well maybe 8+ so no 3x2..)
- they decided that 3x3 16" would not fit under 35,000t due to weight
- They decided (politically) that 15" would not fly
- so 3x4 14" was picked......once started 14" had to be the calibre or massive delays would happen.....(and probably had to use the quad)
- 3x4 14" was overweight so cant fit 3 so they fit 2 and a cut down twin derived from it.... OTL KVG 3x4+1x2 14"

A new lighter triple might even retrofit the 15in twins
Don't think you can OTL 15" is very tight and a more modern mount would want at least as much space for flash etc even if the gun is lighter the protection will not be...