What should the next chapter be?

• Alexander Hamilton (Secretary of Treasury and potential future President)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Henry Lee III (Prominent War Hero and future President)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • John Paul Jones (Prominent War Hero, "Terror of the Caribbean")

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • The Constitutional Convention of 1778

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Combination of Two/Three (State in own post)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (If you have ideas, tell me!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Prologue: Not a European War
Prologue:
Not a European War.
9th of July, 1755
---
" But [General Braddock] had too much self-confidence, too high an opinion of the validity of regular troops, and too mean a one of both Americans and Indians."
-Benjamin Franklin, "A Vain Remonstrance with General Braddock"*
300xNxbenjamin-franklin-by-benjamin-wilson-1759-wcpd.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3_vKsY2ay6.jpg

The almost fifty year-old diplomat was speaking to General Braddock. The latter, a rather smart dashing man, was explaining his plans for his battalion. Gesticulating some, he told with grandeur the plans he had: first would come Fort Duquesne, then Niagara, then finally Frontenac. There would be, he evidently believed, be either little resistance or not enough to deal with his over thousand-troop expedition. The diplomat, Benjamin Franklin, was hesitant. “To ask for pardon, General, I do not believe that this is the most ideal of positions for our armies - as great as they are,” Franklin tried to explain. He coughed awkwardly, before continuing: “You see, I have read countless times of similar encounters, be it Frenchmen or colonists, and what Indians have done is things of trickery; they could, for example, pick off soldiers one-by-one.” The response of the General was a nonchalant laugh. He pats the back of Franklin: “Aye, these savages may, indeed, be a formidable enemy to your raw American militia, but upon the king’s regular and disciplined troops, sir, it is impossible they should make any impression.” He laughed again, and Franklin remained silent. He opened his mouth to respond, before shutting it and nodding, giving a feeble “Yes, General” before retreating back into line.

Fortunately, Franklin’s predictions were wrong.

Unfortunately, the French-and-Indian forces were somehow cleverer than that. For a detachment that had moved ahead, headed by Thomas Gage, had entered fire with French and Native forces. Braddock’s men, hearing sounds of conflict, hastened their march. Gage’s detachment retreated into Braddock’s forces, and both fell into chaos. Despite attempts to order the chaos, the volleys from within the wilderness left nobody safe. If one were to have looked at the combat, they would have seen a flurry of soldiers, confused and disorderly; they would have seen generals and higher-ups desperate in their attempts to rally troops and follow orders. They would have seen General Braddock get shot and still giving orders while wounded; they would have seen generals screaming these orders before themselves getting shot, and the third of the Braddock's troops remaining retreating. And, if they looked long enough, they would have seen George Washington's body among those littered across the wilderness, and if they stayed for longer they might even have seen him being scalped.

800px-FrenchAndIndianWar.jpg

Thus was Braddock's defeat.

Thus was Washington's death.

Thus was the moment that history changed.
---
*Actual quote by Benjamin Franklin. Most events recorded here are approximations of the actual Braddock's Defeat. The quotes won't always be real, so I'll note when they are real.
---
Alright, I've had some iteration of this idea existing for a fair while now, but it took until a couple days back for me to get inspired enough to write it out. This is my first non-graphics based timeline (to some degree), and as such it's probably not up to par with most other timelines on here. I do hope you enjoy, though!
-Bennett

Chapter 1: Tea, Taxes, and Revolution
Chapter 1:
Tea, Taxes, and Revolution
---
"I am convinced the Presbyterians intend nothing less than the throwing off their allegiance and obedience to his Majesty, & forming a Republican Empire, in America, & being Lords and Masters themselves."
-John Hughes, Philadelphian Tax Collector, Speaker of the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly, and friend to Benjamin Franklin and Joseph Galloway
Boston_Tea_Party-Cooper.jpg

The political standing of the Thirteen Colonies were rather interesting; despite what might be implied, the Thirteen Colonies were functionally independent from the Crown: many were founded to be purposefully separate from England (such as Massachusetts Bay, founded by religious exiles), or were under effective control by something akin to its own monarchy (as was the case for Pennsylvania, run by the Penn family). However, in the aftermath of the Seven Years' War, this began to change. The Crown had nearly doubled its debts in a heavily taxing and tumultuous war, one that had secured British hegemony in North America, but at a cost - literally.

The first major issue was life, especially of those in the North American colonies; following the annexation of the East of the Mississippi, settlers had begun to build settlements in the region. The Natives, who benefited from positive relations with France, were dismayed by the more uncaring stance of Great Britain. To deal with the increased demand of colonization of the interior, the British drafted the Royal Proclamation of 1763, designed to create a line through which colonization would not occur until a point where Britain was more financially secure. This "proclamation line" was seen as a malignant act by the colonists; this was among the first of offenses that the colonists perceived to have been placed against them by Great Britain.

The second of these was taxation.

Following the Seven Years' War, the British required money to reduce their enormous debt. To this end, their vision shifted overseas to the Thirteen Colonies. These taxes were present in Great Britain as well, but were decidedly foreign for the American colonists. The autonomy that they had practiced before the Seven Years' War was slowly being replaced; first were taxes on sugar, then came the quartering of British troops in American settlements (regardless of consent), followed swiftly by a tax on all paper products. To each new tax came an increasingly stronger push against them. Perhaps the most prominent of this push-back came in the form of the Sons of Liberty, a pseudo-terrorist organization responsible for the destruction of the buildings of tax collectors, the tar-and-feathering of tax collectors, and other related acts. The Sons of Liberty argued that they could not be taxed like British citizens if they were not treated as equals to British citizens - "No taxation without representation," in the words of James Otis.

It took until the taxation of tea for the situation to escalate.

On the night of December 16th, 1773, the Sons of Liberty stormed British East India Company ships in the Boston Harbor, before destroying the 342 chests of tea located on the three ships into the Harbor. The British responded with the Intolerable Acts, a piece of legislation that stripped the Massachusetts Bay Colony its right to self-governance. Further, it gave the Province of Quebec a large holding of the Ohio River Valley, the land that the French and Indian War was fought over and that the Thirteen Colonies wanted to settle.

If the incidents leading up to the American Revolution was a powder keg, then the Intolerable Acts were the matches that set it ablaze: the colonies doubled down in their protests following the silencing of Massachusetts Bay. A Provincial Congress was formed by the Massachusetts colonists, and it was in Massachusetts that the first shots of the War for Independence were shot: in Lexington and Concord.

---

Everything is still true to real-life so far. All quotes are actual quotes, and all events are actual events. Information might be wrong but hopefully isn't. The next chapter should be when things start to change.

Chapter 2: Son of Massachusetts, and a Father of America
Chapter 2:
Son of Massachusetts, and a Father of America
---
"Universally esteemed, beloved by his Nation & by his Army; he was a true Patriot."
-John Adams, "In Memoriam: Artemas Ward"
Artemas_Ward.jpg

Artemas Ward was a distinguished man, and it makes sense as to why he would be put to charge of the fledgling Continental Army. A Harvard graduate, Ward held several political offices before being enlisted into the French and Indian War, where he earned the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel; it was this powerful combination of politician and well-seasoned military man that made him a notorious man within Massachusetts Bay.

During the 1760s, in light of increasing taxation on American goods, Ward was the second on the floor of the General Courts of the Massachusetts Bay to critique the oncoming wave of British taxation (the first to criticize these was James Otis); his regiment from the French and Indian War, the Third Regiment, approached him on the tides of revolution, having elected him to lead them. The Massachusetts Bay Committee of Safety, part of a system of safety committees who purposed themselves with forming anti-Royal shadow governments, titled Ward as the General and Commander-in-Chief of the Massachusetts Bay Militia.

Following the Battle of Lexington and Concord, revolutionary forces began to siege the City of Boston. Ward, sick and bedridden, gave orders while in bed and out of it once his condition improved. As militias from New Hampshire and Connecticut joined the Massachusetts Militia, they all were under order from Ward. During the Siege of Boston, Ward did not work alone; by his side was General Prescott (who died in Bunker Hill, during the Siege), and General Putnam.

Ward and the so-called "Old Put" became fast friends and allies due to their cooperation in Boston. Though this seems odd, comparing their contrasting personalities - Ward with his stoic, stern and powerful voice and temperament, and Putnam with his loud, boisterous, and practically populist ways. Both would amass massive amounts of respect over the course of the Revolution - be it Ward for his personal sacrifice and dedication towards achieving an independent America, or for Old Put, known for commanding his armies from the front and taking damage with it.

The Continental Congresses were the political end of the Revolution. While the common man fought, the educated man plotted; while Bostonians forced a British evacuation, the Congress planned for Independence, and so on; even though the idea of a Continental Army was proposed in the First Congress, it was largely dismissed. Now, however, it was wartime, and it was certainly needed now. The major question that rang out was who would run this army, and eyes were drawn towards the clever, experienced Massachusettsian who was seen as a symbol of the revolutionary movement. To ensure the loyalty of the dissimilar Southern Colonies, Charles Lee was selected as the Second-in-Command of the Continental Army; throughout most of the Revolution, Lee would focus on the Southern Theater of the Revolution, while Ward focused on the Northern Theater. The two would overlap, but not too often. Putnam was also placed as a major player of the Continental Army - a Major General. The amount of major generals would increase over the course of the war, and came to include foreign individuals such as von Steuben and Lafayette.

---

A/N: The War has now fully begun! I probably won't tackle too much of Ward's campaigns, but I will talk about a couple theaters which will be fundamentally different than real life.

Chapter 3: A Geechee in the Halls of America
Chapter 3:
A Geechee in the Halls of America
10th of May, 1776
---
"Regardless of all the political background and debate, we all know that it was that damned child that started it all."
-Andrew Jackson, "An Address to those Unfortunate Southron States"
RRh_0RRZVhuESf7mntmvaLGQjckjdXwyfb36eOgSRQoRx_128XdzLtVA0Nu8taP4UvQVQSLeYMx3iaEc5q66LpS9Ga3MFwPaqMyQ5wZl-QEpupG6MLQHO9SdfSht6YxEukcKD5sL

The Second Continental Congress was gathered in Philadelphia. The talk of independence, spurred by Thomas Paine's "Common Sense," was becoming increasingly common on the streets. However, the discussion of independence was still a fiery debate in the halls of Congress, with some colonies even threatening to walk out of the Congress at several points due to it. It was on one day, the tenth of May, where a guard entered State House and simply stated the following: "There is a young Negro boy by the entrance. He states he simply wants to talk to the... erm... juntlemun frum duh House."

At this imitation, a few of the Congressmen chuckled lightly. Benjamin Franklin, just recently entering his seventieth year of life, coughed before politely asking to speak to this "Negro boy." The guard nodded, and stepped aside as Franklin stood, sighed for a second, and lumbered slowly outside. Once he did, he sat on the steps of State House and looked at the young boy in front of him. He wore clean, new clothes and had the shining face of any optimistic child. He looked to be no older than fourteen, and he shook his curly-haired head in recognition.

Franklin smiled calmly. "What brings you here, young boy?" was the first question he asked. The boy nodded, before answering that he had come because of "My farruh, he duh say dat duh smaa't-est juntlemun come'yuh." Franklin, though definitely not fluent in Gullah, was generally able to follow what the boy said. "I'm glad to hear your father thinks us smart men," he responded, smiling, "what do you want to do here, if I may ask?"
"Ah! Come'yah duh tell'um warruh freedum meanin'."
"I see. Why do you think you know the meaning of freedom, if I may ask?"
"My farruh."
"Hm?"
"My farruh, he gimme freedum. He gone'way duh Pennsylvania duh w'uk duh git my fambly freedum. Gone'way 'fo' binnun bawn en he come back w'en he git 'nuf dolluh duh gimme freedum. He duh say he gwine back duh plantation w'en he git mo' dolluh 'fo' Maamy."
"Hm... I see," the older man responded, pondering for a second. He brightened suddenly, announcing kindly that "I'm sure the men of the Congress would not mind at all to hear your words, young man."
"T'engky, suh!"

To the bystanders in the Congress, they saw Benjamin Franklin hobble outside, only to return perhaps five minutes later being accompanied by a young black man, the latter offering the former support. As Franklin returned to his seat, he simply explained the encounter between himself and the black man as "The boy wishes to speak, and I suggest we let him." Some in the Congress asked for the dismissal of the intruder, but this was stopped when the stark, clear voice of Thomas Jefferson simply stated "I agree with Franklin."

The young boy stood timidly in front of the Congress, but began his speech anyways (written in English for convenience):

"I was born without knowing my father. All I knew was that he moved north to Pennsylvania to work; he had his freedom and he needed to buy me and my mother's freedom. That word was, in my age, one that was unknown. No man had ever spoken it to me, and the question built inside of me. One day, I asked my mother what freedom was. She looked down at me, smiled, and said that it was the better life. I didn't quite get what that meant then. As I grew up on the plantation, between long hours of picking cotton, I heard stories from the Bible - the one that stuck with me the most was the story of Moses.

Moses brought the Jews to freedom, didn't he? He went to the Egyptians and asked -- no, demanded -- that his people be free. I had heard the tale, sometimes told by another slave with mourning or longing. But still, I didn't quite know what freedom was. I couldn't understand such a difficult-to-grasp concept, especially with no taste of that mystifying word: freedom.

I worked and toiled in the fields waiting for that word, and it came in the form of a large Negro fellow walking into the plantation, walking into the Master's manor, a violent exchange of words, and a peaceful agreement; the money my father had earned would only count for me, despite it being the asking price the Master had placed for both of us. He shook my hand, and began the trek back to Pennsylvania.

Once we entered the City of Philadelphia, I realized what it meant to be free. I still had stuff I needed to do, but this was a mutual thing. I wasn't at whip's-end to do my tasks, I did them because they were my choice, and there was -- is -- a guarantee that the other person would do such a thing for me.

I would love to see the colonies become free. I may not know what a colony is exactly, but to my thinking, they are a lot like slaves: forced into action through threat, as opposed by choice.

If freedom is so great for me, it is so great for these colonies."

Such were the words of a simple boy, at least, these were the notes documented and compiled by the testimony of several Congressmen who attended the event. Nothing beyond this testimony remains of this boy; it is unknown who he was, and what happened to him. Some suggested he became a local politician, though the testimony which led to this is questionable. This speech, entitled the "Freedom Speech," had an immense impact on the history of the United States, and was absorbed quickly into the American Mythology. It has been said that "no moderate left the halls that day believing in the institution of slavery," though this is an exaggeration. Though the impact of these speech changed many Congressmen, it did not create a radically abolitionist Congress. This event, however, served as a kicking-off point for abolition in the post-Revolutionary social conscious, and it was this debate and discourse that forced the hand of one Andrew Jackson, decades down the line.

Needless to say, the Freedom Speech was incredibly integral to the future of the United States in multiple key ways - be it politically, demographically, etc.

---

A/N: Perhaps hinted a bit too much in terms of the future of this United States, but that doesn't matter quite yet. It was an... interesting experience attempting (and totally, completely butchering) the Gullah language. Glad I finally got this one out!

Last edited:
Hope everyone enjoyed that chapter! Next chapter will be Redcoats on the Red Clay Soils Pt. 1. I'll try to get it out within a week or so!

A bit of info from the last chapter is going to have to be amended, but I plan on getting Chapter 4 out ASAP, hopefully today.

Chapter 4: Redcoats on the Red Clay Soils, Part 1
Chapter 4:
Redcoats on the Red Clay Soils, Part 1
---
"I care not what is done to deal with those Colonists, so long as Wealth is preserved for the Crown."
-Purported remarks by Lord North, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, in light of the Declaration of Independence
15652.jpg

"'Secure the spice!' That goddamned bastard North up in Britain!" cried Henry Clinton. Though originally stationed in Boston while the city was in turmoil, he was relocated into the Carolinas while the British were forced to evacuate the city. From there, he was to stay in the Southern colonies, and try to amp up Royalist morale whilst defending from Patriot excursions. According to one note from the higher-ups, his duty was to "secure the cities and ignore the rebels" - orders so contradictory that Clinton felt anguished for weeks. On occasion, his soldiers would hear him raving to himself, groaning about how "Lord North knows damn nothing!"

For a majority of the opening phases of the American War of Independence, Clinton was stationed in Charles' Town, South Carolina; it was presumed to be the major center of loyalist activity; in reality, the so-called "Jerusalem of Slavery" was between neutral and somewhat malevolent in respect to the Crown, due to the passing of vaguely abolitionist laws in England proper. However, this loathing never surfaced itself to much beyond talk behind closed doors, or perhaps a few protests outside of British lodging. The situation in Charles' Town was miserable for all parties involved - the British who wanted to return home, the Caroliners who wanted to stop worrying about the British, the closeted Patriots who wanted to revolt, and the moderates who wanted this all to end.

It was, in part, the conglomeration of moderates who moved out into the frontiers of the Southern colonies. This movement, called the Frontier Exodus, manifested in the Carolinas and Virginia, where colonists moved into swaths of territory to proclaim the Transylvania Colony, an entity whose purpose was, to quote from its declaration of colony, "the continuation of Peaceable, Amicable, and otherwise Peaceful relations between those who Migrated from the North- & South-Carolinas as well as the Colony of Virginia, and the British Crown." The British Crown, hoping to profit off of the potential agricultural industries of the region, was incredibly willing to recognize the legitimacy of the Transylvania Colony. This recognition further enraged the Thirteen Colonies, particularly North Carolina and Virginia. However, despite this recognition, the British refused to negotiate the land treaties between Transylvania and the Native Americans who inhabited the region (particularly the Shawnee and Cherokee Nations).

The Frontier Exodus didn't just impact the moderate population, but also the more radical elements of Southern society - several so-called "Liberty Caravans" constructed settlements on the borders between Transylvania Colony and the colonies of Virginia and North Carolina. Members of the British militia, too, were known to have secretly resigned their office by fleeing into the wilderness. However, the Frontier Exodus did not massively effect the populations of Virginia and North Carolina, with the new Colony being sparsely populated; as such, it was deemed unimportant by both the British and Patriots.

Under the command of Continental General Artemas Ward, the decision was made to divide the war effort into several different departments, with each of these being headed by a major general local to the region, or based off of request. It was this system that brought Major General Charles Lee into the Southern fray; though he was far more experienced, the Continental Congress had refused to give him the position with pay. He was, however, able to find compromise with Continental General Ward, who had agreed to give him some financial aid for his service (it was to be said, of course, that said pay was minimal both in quantity and quality); despite this, the eccentric and raunchy Lee had found himself with a particular dilemma in terms of the war effort - this being it's lack of action. The British had decided that, with minimal efforts of the Army, the revolutionary fire in the Americas would die out; as such, the British seemed to have fortified themselves into the Southern Colonies, and while progress was being made in the northern theaters, Lee saw particularly nothing occur. By the late months of 1776, he was desperate to see any form of action beyond the occasional Patriot raids.

Such actions spawned from Paine, the wordsmith who spoke the Revolution into a fury, with the publication of "The American Crisis."

---

A/N: Welp, finally cranked this bad larry out. It's not the greatest, but I feel fairly proud of it; I'll work on editing the last chapter and most likely bits of this one over the course of a couple days, and then we're onto Chapter 5! Hope you're enjoying this!

Alright, updated the chapter I was wanting to, and now be prepared to follow the misadventures of America's favorite narcissistic military man in Chapter 5: A Benedictine Excursion! Should be up in a couple hours, if all goes well!

EDIT: Didn't end up cranking it out tonight, expect it tomorrow!

Last edited:
Chapter 5: A Benedictine Excursion
Chapter 5:
A Benedictine Excursion
---
"And O Colonel Arnold, praise the Liberator of our land!"
-Line from Praise Ontario, the state anthem of Ontario.
lossy-page1-220px-Benedict_Arnold._Copy_of_engraving_by_H._B._Hall_after_John_Trumbull%2C_published_1879.%2C_1931_-_1932_-_NARA_-_532921.tif.jpg

"That goddamned bastard" was all Benedict Arnold had to say on the affair - this being the Capture of Fort Ticonderoga. Colonel Arnold was forced to cooperate with Commander Ethan Allen of the Green Mountain Boys - a group of individuals who wished to see the independence of the Grants: a region of conflicting claims between New York and New Hampshire. Although the two men were vastly different, they were similar in one front - their undying need for recognition; although Arnold was not sure as to what Allen wanted with wealth and fame and notoriety (other than to, obviously, spite him), Arnold sure as hell knew why he needed it.

Arnold was raised by a talented businessman of a father, who derailed following the deaths of his siblings - and, seemingly because God hated Benedict Arnold with the fiery passion He used in smiting the Egyptians, the alcoholic nature of his father drove his family destitute and left Arnold to be apprenticed by family friends. In business, Arnold excelled, but he was a simple sort of man: a materialistic one, and due to this he eventually became bankrupt; not helping his case was the fact that rumors spread of his bankruptcy, furthering his loss of profits. This was the stem of his desire for promotion - which, in a normal situation, brought with it higher pay as well as fame.

However, this was far from a normal situation.

"The Congress is so in the shit they could hardly pay for a pebble on this street" Arnold mumbled to himself; the ride to the headquarters of Continental General Ward was as long as it was bumpy, but it gave Arnold time to process things. Again and again, he had to reaffirm to himself that his wife was dead. She was dead now. She had died while he was in Ticonderoga. Damn Ticonderoga. Arnold was adamant that he had done just as much - no, more than Allen in aiding the British surrender at Ticonderoga. Everything went well there because of him. Yet here he was, promoted with Allen like that filthy bastard wasn't an attention-grubbing little-

This monologue continued in his mind as he entered to speak with Continental General Ward. The imposing head of the army, still recovering from illness, was somewhat of weaker constitution than one would expect of the head of such important matters; despite his illness, though, Ward remained cunning and able to assist in all manners (except physically, for the time being). When Arnold approached, Ward seemed to tense a bit, before simply stating "I hope this has nothing to do with your promotions, or whatever occurred in Ticonderoga."

Swallowing his pride, Arnold shook his head. "No, sir, it has naught to do with Ticonderoga; instead, I would wish to request a division of men."

"Where to and for?"

"To Quebec, in order to liberate the province from Britain and to increase our support, sir. I have information leading me to believe there be less than a thousand-odd men in the entirety of the province, and those estimates are generous, sir. I am confident in my ability to prove myself in this theater, sir."

Ward paused, thinking, before continuing: "How will these men get there?"

"We deploy from Newburyport, in Massachusetts; from there we migrate north into Maine, and station camp along the Kennebec River; preferably in any fort stationed along this river, sir. There we will station for a fortnight, and then continue into the Province. I am told that investigation has already been done in terms of what is in Quebec, sir?"

"Yes, and there are troops who are going to head into the Province soon, I trust you will be able to cooperate?" stated Ward, seemingly not forgetting about Ticonderoga.

"Yes, sir."

It was by some miracle that Ward let Arnold fulfill his campaign; perhaps it was out of pity, or perhaps it was because the British efforts in the Northern colonies were still lacking, and that the Patriots needed to take as much as they could before Lord North came to his senses. Regardless, here Arnold was, commanding a thousand-plus men.

---

The weather in Maine was not pleasant, and many feared that the weather in Quebec would be worse yet. Despite this, Arnold seemed convinced that his movements into the Province was some form of divine order, for every day he attempted to motivate his troops into continuing their expedition northward. His conversations with his other Quebec-bound compatriots showed that Arnold was beginning to slow the war effort down. It was on one of these days that a messenger hurried into camp, before announcing that "The British are attempting to recapture Fort Ticonderoga! They have been held off so far, but those in charge of overseeing the protection of the Fort fear that their defenses will crack.

Arnold was horrified: Ticonderoga was a decisive location, and such a location was far from an ideal thing for the British to have over the Americans. As such, he begrudgingly informed his fellow collaborators of his departure, and moved to the Grants. Arnold's forces, able to protect Ticonderoga without major difficulty, were now several states off from where they wanted to be. Arnold, in a moment of clarity, asked for a map, and simply said "We will go to Detroit."

redcoats arnold.png

The movement of Arnold's troops was purposeful - attack the British forts through the practically empty Ontario Peninsula, perhaps deal with several Indian villages, regroup and then go for Fort Detroit. Instead, the American forces were repelled from Fort Frontenac, before marching to Fort Douville. There, Arnold was able to overpower the undermanned fort. He marched next to Fort Niagara, which proved itself too heavily guarded to capitulate. From Niagara, he moved his troops into the wilderness of Ontario, where he forced them to set up camp for a couple weeks.

This period seemed to bring a better sentiment out of Arnold. He contributed on hunting excursions, shared stories with his troops in the evenings, helped devise the arrangements of the fort, appropriately becoming the future capital city of Ontario, Arnold (approximately the location of Chatham-Kent in real life). In his own journals, he wrote "I feel a weight off of my Shoulders - out in the Wilderness I am a New Man; I have no Debts, I have no Rank, I am a man with men." It was this new, friendlier Arnold who pushed his troops to Detroit, before recruiting a local band of sympathetic Indians and marching back to Fort Niagara, this time winning. From there, Arnold raised several Iroquois settlements - distinctly ones of those tribes who joined the British. From there his men marched to Fort Presque Isle.

Following the annexation of Fort Presque Isle, Arnold dismissed a majority of his unit. Assigning Lieutenant-Colonel Roger Enos in command of these troops, he reportedly said "Do with these men whatever is best for freedom - my men and I will continue liberation to the best of our God-given abilities; we know not how many forts lay in the Ohio Country, but there may be Brits in there yet.

---

It was a cloudy day for Continental General Ward. In the year that had passed, his health had improved greatly, and he had again returned to a physical presence to his troops; this coincided well with the increased British war effort in the Colonies, and further allowed Ward to correspond with foreign generals such as Lafayette and von Steuben, both tasked their own troops and were responsible for creating a consistent training regime for the rookie American troops.

From his quarters, he heard a knock. He hesitated for a moment, but finally opened the door.

A familiar, albeit haggard, fellow approached. He had a beard, tangled hair, and his clothes a hodgepodge of British and American elements. He walked with a limp and in one hand he gripped a long stick - presumably used for a cane.

"Ah, Continental General Ward. I would wish to report a new American fort, sir."

"And this may be?"

"Good Lord, have I changed that much?" he laughed a good, long laugh. "Benedict Arnold, sir. Do you wish to share a beer? I can show you the location of this fort."

"I heard last that you became a wildman out in the Ohio, Arnold."

"Aye, so you did, so you did. I would damn say 'wildman' is a harsh word, but say it they shall."

"So, what is this fort?"

"A great location, I assure you. It's perfectly 'long the Maumee River, only a short ride 'way from Lake Erie - I named it Fort Margaret."

"I see, I see. Tell me more of your 'wildman' expeditions in the Interior."

"It would be my pleasure, Ward. Say, sir?"

"Yes?"

"What's that bastard Allen up to these days?"

---

A/N: Welp, this chapter came out really nice! I'm proud with how everything came out with it, and it's solidly a lot longer than I expected!

Yeah, I stayed up until almost 4am writing that, hope it was worth it! Next chapter should be Recoats on the Red Clay Soils, Part 2, for those curious.

Also, I hope everyone is enjoying Redcoats so far! It's been fun to write!

This is definitely an interesting scenario, and I like the writing style. You display enough of the individual characters while also writing about enough of the history ITTL too. From what I can tell, the timeline has yet to diverge far from our own, but I like what you got so far. The division of the Continental Army between Ward and Lee is neat, I like how without Washington the Continental Army (and for that matter the Continental Congress) seen to become more northern influenced, and I am always a fan of a Benedict Arnold wank.

Long story short, great job thus far! :extremelyhappy:

This is definitely an interesting scenario, and I like the writing style. You display enough of the individual characters while also writing about enough of the history ITTL too. From what I can tell, the timeline has yet to diverge far from our own, but I like what you got so far. The division of the Continental Army between Ward and Lee is neat, I like how without Washington the Continental Army (and for that matter the Continental Congress) seen to become more northern influenced, and I am always a fan of a Benedict Arnold wank.
Thanks so much! It means a lot to hear praise on a more experimental timeline of mine. The Revolution, by and large, is more Northern-focused for the Patriots, but soon they'll have their eyes back looking at the South.