Crusader Kings II - Paradox Entertainement (02/12)

fdo0HBq.jpg

God damn, I don't think I've ever seen the HCC in this much of a clusterfuck - the Emperor's converted to Atomicism, and the realm is a patchy, gory mess of heresies and pagans.

The best part is - I captured this particular Emperor in a raid, and he languished in my cells for over 10 years before he was able to scrape together a ransom. He ended up converting to Atomicism almost immediately after he left - are my prisons that bad that they made him lose his faith in Christ? :v

The best part is - I captured this particular Emperor in a raid, and he languished in my cells for over 10 years before he was able to scrape together a ransom. He ended up converting to Atomicism almost immediately after he left - are my prisons that bad that they made him lose his faith in Christ? :v
That or unknown to you your prison are irradiated and that gave him a revelation...

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the various religions in Lux Invicta, as well as the locations of their holy sites? I'm sure one exists, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the various religions in Lux Invicta, as well as the locations of their holy sites? I'm sure one exists, but I can't find it.
It's not the most aesthetically pleasing, but looking at the relevant files/folders in Lux Invicta repository on Github (if you don't have the mod downloaded) can give you all of the answers.

For holy sites you need to look in the /master/common/landed_titles/landed_titles.txt (may take a while to load).
Here's an excerpt to show you what to look for:
Code:
        d_thrace = {
            color = { 172 76 139 }
            capital = 517 #Konstantinopolis
            c_byzantion = {
                color = { 180 84 147 }
                hellenistic = "Byzantion"
                    holy_site = aztec
                    holy_site = catholic
There's a bit of extraneous info there, but the parts you need are c_XXX, and holy_site = RELIGIONNAME. Reading that code, I can tell that in this mod, the county of Byzantion has holy sites for the Aztec and Catholic religions (and others which I've trimmed). If I wanted to find all counties with holy sites, I could search that .txt file for "holy_site". If I wanted to find all holy sites for a specific religion (say, Catholic), I could search for "holy_site = catholic", and when I do that I get five results: c_byzantion, c_roma, c_julich, c_jerusalem, and c_tunis. If I wanted to find out the names of those counties in-game, I could go to the localisation folder and search for "c_byzantion".

Now, Catholic and Aztec are pretty recognizable names, but there are plenty of religion names I've never heard of, and this mod seems to have a reputation for adding a large amount of obscure real religions as well as some AH religions. If you want a somewhat intimidating but complete list of religion in the game, navigate over to master/common/religions/00_religions.txt

As you can see, there's a ton of information there on religious intermarriage, stat modifiers for the faithful and religious flavor. If you're just looking for a general list of faiths and the relationships between them, one can easily be assembled by examining the file, look at the slightly modified example below (note that filler info has been trimmed).

Code:
arabpagan_group = {
    crusade_cb = crusade
    graphical_culture = muslimgfx
    playable = yes
    has_coa_on_barony_only = yes
    hostile_within_group = yes

color = { 255 206 10 }

ai_convert_same_group = 1 # try to convert if ai_zeal is high
    ai_convert_other_group = 2 # always try to convert

almaqah = {
        crusade_name = CRUSADE
        graphical_culture = zigguratgfx
        color = { 255 165 20 }
        icon = 71
        heresy_icon = 72

high_god_name = GOD_ALMAQAH
    }
    talab = {
        graphical_culture = zigguratgfx
        color = { 82 148 255 }
        icon = 71
        heresy_icon = 72

high_god_name = GOD_TALAB

parent = almaqah
        reformed = arab_pagan_reformed
        #reformer_head_of_religion = no #Reformer is NOT a ruler head
    }

From this, we can see that in Lux Invicta, there is an "arabpagan" religious group which is equivalent to the six base game religion groups (Pagan, Christian, Israelite, Eastern, Muslim and Zoroastrian). From there, we can see two additional religions in this group, "almaqah" and "talab". This is my first time ever seeing those terms, but looking at the code I can tell they are their own religions, on par with say, Catholic and Fraticelli. This proves to be a good comparison as under "talab" we see the line
parent = almaqah

This tells me that in the mod, talab is a heresy of almaqah just as Fraticelli is a heresy of Catholicism in the base game. It would be a lot of bull work to go through and parse out every religion but it's one way to make a list. Also, keep in mind to search for these term in localisation as their appearance in the files may not match their appearance in game.

Of course, it's all well and good to have a list, but what is "talab" compared to "celtic_christ" or "rod". Religions.txt can show us the relationship and what happens in game, but I (and I think most people) wouldn't really know what most of these terms mean and why they're significant.

For that information, we go to the "localisation" section I keep mentioning. This one I had a little trouble with (I assume because of my lack of knowledge on how to effectively use/search Github), but the files you want are 1_religion.csv for religion and religion group names and 0_SELIN_localisation.csv for descriptions of the faiths.

Searching for some of the terms from our examples above in 1_religion.csv, we can find that the "arabpagan" group appears as Arabo-Sabaean in game, and that "almaqah" is really Almaqahi and that the "talab" heresy is really Ta'labi.

In 0_SELIN_localisation, we can learn a little more about these religions which up until this point were just unfamiliar names on a screen (at least to me) by using the religion name we saw in religions.txt, followed by "_DESC". Here are the relevant entries:
Code:
almaqah_DESC;The worship of Almaqah is a Mainstream Archaic Arabic religion of Clerical soul. Almaqah is the great protector and sole patron god of the Sabaeans and especially of the Mukarribs, the unifier kings of Saba, so much that they even call themselves the children of Almaqah and claim direct descent from him. The greatest temple of Almaqah is the huge temple of Awâm near Ma'rib, the Sabaean capital. The temple is tended by his priesthood, who perform rites, bless newborns and receive the offerings that are to be placed on Almaqah’s shrine. A common offering to thank Almaqah usually consist on placing incense or little bronze figurines at his shrines to thank Him for past fortunes and to ask for more fortunes in the future. The rich often order their servants to make steles, statuettes or bronze plates adorned with many different animals, symbols and most importantly an inscription in which they thank Almaqah, the steles are later to be placed at the Local temples. However Almaqah is more than a protector god, he is also a god of fertility. He is the god of seasonal rain, and hence very important to the Sabaeans, as they pride themselves in their agricultural methods. Other aggressive natural phenomena, such as storms and thunders are associated to him as well, and not unlike Ba'al Hadad and other Near Eastern deities, have made his totem animal the bull, though more often, in his shrines one can find depictions of ibexes and mountain goats which are as well associated with the father of the Sabaeans . When Southwestern Arabia was unified by the Mukarrib kings of Saba, they ordered the temples and statues dedicated to other gods, such as ‘Attar, Ta-lab or Shams, to be destroyed and replaced by shrines and temples dedicated to Almaqah, establishing their supremacy as unifier kings of the new Sabaean federation. Since then, the glory of Almaqah has made the Sabaeans into a thriving metropolitan culture, and His protective influence has been able to withstand and even turn back the might of Islam during its climax.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

talab_DESC;The cult of Ta'lab is a Local Archaic Arabic faith of Messianic soul. A monolastic sect worshipping Ta'lab, the moon god. Since most travel was done at night, when it is cool, the moon plays an important role in the life of the people of the Arabian Peninsula. This sect though, has taken this a step forward: the sun god Almaqah is the unforgiving ruler of the heating Arabian day and his light searing, thus, they have fanatically set to bring about the eternal night where only the moon of their deity rules the skies alone. The followers of Ta'lab have a special enmity with the Almaqahi priesthood who exiled them out of Saba long ago, when the cult of Almaqah was fully established as the state religion of the kingdom of Saba. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

So, now we've learned a bit about the theological and political conflict between these two religions and their practitioners. Depending on your purposes, this may be good information to add to a list.

The terms in this response are the main ones to look for and I'm confident in saying they apply to finding this information in any CK2 mod. It also works for the base game, and you'll notice that religion names and descriptions are divided across even more localisation files as the game grew from a few flavors of Christianity and non-playable Muslims and Pagans to the much larger product it is today.

If you manage to come across any religion that was listed in common/religions/00_religions.txt which isn't covered in those two localisation files I linked to and also isn't commented out (#), then you will have to look through other files in the localisation folder, either individually or using some sort of search function that I obviously couldn't figure out.

If you were going to attempt a Buddhist conquest of Europe with a custom Buddhist character in a shattered world map, which part of Europe would you start in?

If you were going to attempt a Buddhist conquest of Europe with a custom Buddhist character in a shattered world map, which part of Europe would you start in?
Anywhere you want. Especially if you're using the parameters to set religions to be randomly localized.

Did anyone here ever set epidemic and non-epidemic diseases to "More", and how did it go? Did it break the game, or...?
Non-epidemic diseases are terrible at "more". It just feels random and unfun.

I've played a few fun games with more epidemics and deadly major epidemics though. It tends to result in more centralized realms and powerful vassals because the family trees get pruned. Also slows the game down because you can't really have a war once it sets in.

Last night I started a game as Konstantinos Angelos, uncle in law do Ioannes Komnenos by his marriage to Theodora Komnena. Decided to make the Angeloi better but focusing on Italy instead of the Imperial Throne. So far Konstantinos has captured the island of Sicily from the Normans and Naples from the Spartenos dynasty. The Angeloi are going to focus on nabbing the other Norman Italian holdings and entrenching their power in Southern Italy, probably remaining loyal to and continuously intermarrying with the Komnenoi...

When you give your sons titles and then they proceed to give their sons stupid names so you have to go into the save file to rename your grandkids properly

When you give your sons titles and then they proceed to give their sons stupid names so you have to go into the save file to rename your grandkids properly
Seemed to me Paradox had given us a way to get around that relatively recently, with the possibility of renaming children. But I guess it doesn't work on characters from your dynasty that have a title.

But yeah, it's annoying when you're working hard to have your dynasty regularly pick names like Charles, Louis or John, only for the AI to randomly decide that one of your grandkids should be named Payen, Gargamel or Centule...

Seemed to me Paradox had given us a way to get around that relatively recently, with the possibility of renaming children. But I guess it doesn't work on characters from your dynasty that have a title.

But yeah, it's annoying when you're working hard to have your dynasty regularly pick names like Charles, Louis or John, only for the AI to randomly decide that one of your grandkids should be named Payen, Gargamel or Centule...

There’s a mod that lets you rename any character so I might have to subscribe to it

I've made it almost a hundred years in. Emperor Fernando I (called "the Great", which seems stupid, since his grandfather was also Fernando the Great) was succeeded by his only son Fernando II, who sired three sons. The eldest and the youngest both predeceased their father, and since the elder didn't sire any sons gavelkind demanded Fernando's possessions be split two ways, between Emperor Rodrigo I and his nephew.

However, I fear this contemporary map may show the Hispanian Empire at its greatest extent:
ck2_map_1.png

See, after his father successfully claimed Hungary, Fernando II kept on expanding the empire. A Christian faction rose up in France and deposed the Alcobacid king in favor of the Burgundians, and I made that guy's heir my vassal king of Galicia to ensure he would bring France into my realm. I granted Hungary to the heir to Poland, but that didn't go as smoothly:
hungarianmonarchs.png

Marcin actually suffered three simultaneous rebellions before he got Granada as a replacement title, inherited Poland, and made his triumphant return to Hungary. You can see a glimpse of the third one still ongoing in the background.

Finally, it happens that the deposed king of Norway married a Jimena matrilineally. The Norwegians elected a queen during the Second Crusade, and as soon as that was over armies came from Poland and Spain to impose the offspring of that marriage on the kingdom.

Speaking of Crusades, the First Crusade didn't really succeed in its long-term aims. It did install Martin Jimenez in Jerusalem, but not only did he eventually kneel again to the Fatimids, he ended up converting his household to Shia. Moreover, while German, Spanish, and Sicilian armies maneuvered in the deserts of Africa to fend off a great Sunni jihad, the Fatimids seized Anatolia from the Byzantines. The Second Crusade has established two new Christian states on former Fatimid territory, though, both ruled by Jimenas: the Kingdom of Egypt and the Duchy of Boukellarion.

Unfortunately for this glorious map-painting, though, there's an independence faction brimming. It contains the King of France-Galicia, the King of Poland-Granada-Hungary, the King of Norway, and several other vassals, and has a threat level above 100%...

Unfortunately right after I took these screenshots, the Komnenid Emperor died and everyone elected my character the new Emperor in a middle of the war.

ck2-1.png

ck2-2.png

ck2-map-1.png

The Pope decided to launch a Crusade on me while I was helping those damned Catholics fight their Children's Crusade to take back Jerusalem from the Seljuks. I got my revenge by defeating him and taking Rome for the Orthodox church.

Also, still waiting on this guy to die. His first wife died like ten years ago in the game. And he's survived so many diseases and injuries.

XssXY0h.png

Humble Bundle currently has CK II and all the DLC in a bundle for $15. If anyone is missing the DLC, I suspect this is the cheapest they are going to be for a very long time.

I was finally able to get all of the DLC, which was nice.

The base game + 5 DLC is in a lesser bundle for $1 (if $15 is too much).