Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

I recently had a dream about an alternate version of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic that I'd love to talk about, but I just know the replies will primarily consist of "EWWW PONIES EWWWW BRONIES EWWWW CRINGEY EWWWW PONYFAGS" and that kind of thing.

Are we allowed to talk about My Little Pony on this forum, or has mentioning the show been banned?

I recently had a dream about an alternate version of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic that I'd love to talk about, but I just know the replies will primarily consist of "EWWW PONIES EWWWW BRONIES EWWWW CRINGEY EWWWW PONYFAGS" and that kind of thing.

Are we allowed to talk about My Little Pony on this forum, or has mentioning the show been banned?
We're allowed

Okay, so for those who want a bit more detail about that Friendship is Magic dream I had recently (and promise not to flame me for mentioning ponies), there were two major changes from our version:

1: Instead of flash, it was done using real hand-drawn animation that involved drawing each frame separately. I believe it was farmed out to some East Asian studio like most hand-drawn shows nowadays. Season 1 was done traditionally on paper, but starting in Season 2, they upgraded to full tradigital animation.

2: The voice acting was based in Los Angeles instead of Vancouver, so Tara Strong voiced multiple characters and the rest of the cast consisted of familiar voice actors like Grey DeLisle and Tom Kenny. In Season 1, the cast was somewhat limited. (The female voices consisted mainly of Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle, Kath Soucie, Elizabeth Daily, Candi Milo, Kari Wahlgren, and Cree Summer. The male voices consisted mainly of Tom Kenny, Dee Bradley Baker, Jeff Bennett, Kevin Michael Richardson, Phil LaMarr, Jess Harnell, Fred Tatasciore and Keith Ferguson.) However, starting with John de Lancie in the Season 2 premiere, they started to have more guest stars scattered throughout each season. (For instance, J.K. Simmons as Cranky Doodle Donkey, and Jim Belushi as Iron Will.)

Here are the ways I feel like this version of FIM would be different (besides the obvious higher budget).
  • If it's not done in flash, then the show might not have the same glitches it had IOTL. (For instance, there would probably be no Derpy Hooves, so there goes a big part of the fandom.)
  • Most flash cartoons have deliberately simplified character designs to make them easier to rig and animate, so Lauren Faust's designs for this version might be slightly different if it's hand-drawn.
  • If the music isn't done in Canada, that means this version wouldn't have Daniel Ingram, resulting in different songs.
  • Familiar voice actors may result in even more people wanting to give it a shot just to hear these actors, and in turn resulting in this show not having as big a hatedom as IOTL. (No offense intended to the Vancouver voice actors, but let's fact it: they don't exactly have a good track record. The fact that their resume mainly consists of shows aimed at small children, along with crap like Johnny Test, may have alienated some viewers.)
  • Originally, Lauren Faust wanted Tara Strong to play Pinkie Pie, but discovered via an animation test that her voice fit Twilight really well. I imagine in this version, Tara would voice both characters.
Any other differences you bronies can think of?

EDIT: Two more I realized.
  • If there's no need to build puppets to rig, that means the ponies would have more diverse body types from the beginning.
  • If this has a higher budget than OTL's version, then that means there's more room for adventure stories. (Lauren Faust originally wanted it to be 1/3 adventure stories, and the other two thirds slice of life stories, but they had to focus more on slice of life due to the budget.)

Last edited:

Thats what I wanted to know.

WI: Yahoo buys Google in 1998 for...

762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

This was one of the options I considered for my timeline, however I believe that I ultimately rejected it because it seems that Yahoo's reasoning for rejecting Google was pretty solid at the time, given that Google had yet to really demonstrate its potential. Blockbuster buying Netflix was a similar situation, as Blockbuster had the far bigger footprint and thus couldn't really see the need for buying what was at the time a pretty small service. (In my timeline, Hollywood Video scooped them up after Blockbuster denies them.)

Also, if Yahoo had bought Facebook in 2009, I imagine that Facebook probably wouldn't have become as successful, given that many of the other websites Yahoo! bought up (Flickr, Tumblr) failed to reach their potential under Yahoo!, and NewsCorp's buyout of MySpace had a similar effect.

I assume that there are other threads that have asked questions about "which video games would you have liked to see?", but I'd like to post a possible answer here.

I would've liked to have seen 0x10^c, the space sandbox game being developed by Notch at Mojang in 2012, completed. Not only does it seem like a cool premise (it could've been like a more successful No Man's Sky, perhaps), I think that it would've led to a better outcome for Notch, as him developing this game would've given him something to do with his time and kept him at Mojang, and he hopefully wouldn't retreat back into his mansion and start posting offensive statements on Twitter every now and then like he does now. It doesn't seem like Notch was always the alt-lite (?) guy he is today, since I saw a Tumblr post he made back in the day stating that Minecraft characters don't need biological genders, so I think that the root of much of his jerkishness originates in him being single with all the time and money in the world and still unsatisfied with the world. Another big gaming company probably still would've bought Mojang, but I'd think Notch would've probably stayed on if he had made 2 potentially successful games.

Also @Huehuecoyotl my TL isn't about video games primarily, but they do come up sometimes, so you might consider adding it to your list, or maybe adding it to a separate list of pop-culture TLs involving video games.

was always the alt-lite (?) guy he is today, since I saw a Tumblr post he made back in the day stating that Minecraft characters don't need biological genders, so I think that the root of much of his jerkishness originates in him being single with all the time and money in the world and still unsatisfied with the world.
Making assumption about people politics is hard as people evolves with time. Maybe influences, maybe he is conservative but free time make him more reactionary

Making assumption about people politics is hard as people evolves with time. Maybe influences, maybe he is conservative but free time make him more reactionary
Yeah, it's hard. His divorce also probably didn't help, and that probably wouldn't change, so it's possible that he'd still be bitter, and I still am not 100% sure why he came to be the way his now, but this kind of thing is not rare (such as with JonTron, even though he was never quite as insulting as Notch.) It is also not quite right to make assumptions about why people you don't know did what they did.

Yeah, it's hard. His divorce also probably didn't help, and that probably wouldn't change, so it's possible that he'd still be bitter, and I still am not 100% sure why he came to be the way his now, but this kind of thing is not rare (such as with JonTron, even though he was never quite as insulting as Notch.) It is also not quite right to make assumptions about why people you don't know did what they did.
Excatly, people are enigma, maybe he was always of conservatives ideas/upbringing but butterflies make him the reactionary neo-troll, maybe better influence, make him more neutral conservative or more progressive or just like OTL, but yeah maybe he could keep as OTL, seems he was more neutral conservative but later become very reactionary(i hate alt right, there not alt right, just a single right)

@Megafighter3, @ANARCHY_4_ALL, following up from my previous question, who would WCW hire as head booker if Bischoff died in that crash I mentioned? Russo is still in the WWF; maybe they'd go with Ric Flair, since he had been booker in the past...

Okay, wow, I actually misread the original question and thought this WI was in 1998 for the very first Thunder taping back in '98. With that in mind, I seriously doubt Hogan was doing Thunder tapings for 1999 so let's dial the plane crash to about... January 4, the night of the Fingerpoke. Maybe even the third if the time permits. The flight to Georgia for Nitro crashes and takes with it instead...

• Eric Bischoff
  • Hulk Hogan
  • Kevin Nash
  • Scott Hall
  • Scott Steiner
  • DDP
  • Goldberg

That covers all the major players that I can remember being on that Nitro and gives some good ripples here. Flair would most likely take the head booker role in order to have someone in power and maybe as a settlement to the lawsuit that was keeping Flair off WCW tv at the time. The World and TV titles would be vacated and there'd be some empty spaces in the roster to fill. Sting, Bret, Luger, Savage and maybe the Giant (if Flair can talk him into resigning) would make up the top spots at that point. RAW would pretty much go uncontested in the ratings as Nitro would not be able to air that night.

Oh, that'd be an interesting TL; didn't know Hogan wasn't doing Thunder tapings...

Let's assume the Giant leaves (he was well on his way out the door at this point); methinks Jericho gets a push, without Bischoff and his friends around...

WI: Nintendo doesn't get as upset with Squaresoft over Final Fantasy VII going to the Playstation, and Square continues making games for Nintendo while also doing games for the Playstation?

I could see Square putting games not requiring as much FMV on the Nintendo 64. Their big cinematic projects (Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and of course the three Final Fantasy games) remain on Playstation, but games like SaGa Frontier, Legend Of Mana, and Vagrant Story come to the Nintendo 64. We could also see something like Ehrgeiz come to the Nintendo 64, perhaps as a collaboration between Square and Rare (a Killer Instinct-esque game with Final Fantasy VII characters). Einhander I could see coming to Nintendo 64, and I think maybe we could get Final Fantasy 64 as a sequel to Final Fantasy IV or VI, or maybe a 4 Heroes Of The Light-style spinoff game. We might get Brave Fencer Musashi to the Nintendo 64, or a Chocobo-related spinoff... and of course, Super Mario RPG 2 as another Squaresoft/Nintendo collaboration rather than the Paper Mario we got IOTL.

I think Squaresoft would've been willing to do some games for the Nintendo 64 provided Nintendo hadn't gotten so upset over Final Fantasy VII, and it would have given the system some much needed RPGs. What do you guys think?

WI: Nintendo doesn't get as upset with Squaresoft over Final Fantasy VII going to the Playstation, and Square continues making games for Nintendo while also doing games for the Playstation?
Square never cared about multi, they did care they badshit the company when they took sony 40 millions dollar to do it.

Has anyone here seen the film Enough (2002)?

If so, here's a WI: WI Nicolas Cage had played Mitch instead of Billy Campbell? (Can't you just imagine the overacting he would do as Mitch...)