Different conversion of HMS Furious

What were the hanger heights for Furious after her first conversion with a flying off deck forward and a landing on deck aft?

What was the height above sea level for the flying off deck and landing on deck following that conversion?

Does the design for Furious allow for a full length flight deck with a single hanger below and a second hanger to be added at a later date to make her as per OTL Courageous and Glorious or would you have to decide on a double hanger from the start?

I’m thinking the initial conversion is quick and has the full length flight-deck with island to one side and one hanger but it is then realised that a second hanger would be useful.

What effect would a Furious having a full length flight deck and island from the start have?

One of the issues with a full length flight deck for Curious, Spurious and Outrageous is always the weight forward. With a single hanger, would there be enough weight saved to allow for this?

What effect would a Furious having a full length flight deck and island from the start have?
The RNAS's planned raid on Wilhelmshaven takes place in early 1918 instead of 1919 which they were aiming for. Hermes may be built to roughly the same design. I don't think the second hanger deck would be added to Furious though. I don't see them taking a fully functional carrier out of service in the 20's. Vindictive would also be built with a full flight deck and island.

There's no reason Furious couldn't have been given a full length Flight deck and island from the start. This is her in 1918. It looks to me like they knew that's what they wanted, but Furious was needed so badly they couldn't take the time to do the job properly but rather did what they thought was the minimum they could get away with and still have a useful ship.

Last edited: