Graphic Thread

A flyer I keep seeing around my school:
le9ugUX.png

Since the Kawi script (as in the font) is not available at this moment, I'd use baybayin (a variant of pre-Hispanic Philippine abugida) for making ATL versions of well-known logos, and here are some samples:

dd8x147-ad91c0db-a7c1-478d-b4da-71210b5c8ac0.png

Nutella

dd6o3od-3031b781-fe1c-40f9-b65b-feae65158b35.png

Cola Cao

Since the Kawi script (as in the font) is not available at this moment, I'd use baybayin (a variant of pre-Hispanic Philippine abugida) for making ATL versions of well-known logos, and here are some samples:

Nutella

Cola Cao

This is really neat! Is it still in any notable use in the Philippines?

IWvvErd.png

front page of the website for the Arcadian Union World Factbook, a publically funded, government-run Internet encyclopedia supplementing the role of Wikipedia in my TL.

So I might have gone down a very deep Holmesian rabbithole earlier this week.

WARNING: EXTREMELY LONG POST

4xVP4oL.png

Blue: Dudes; Pink: Ladies; White: People of Fictional and/or Historical Importance
ALL CAPS: Surnames; ITALICS ALL CAPS: Surnames lost due to patrilineal descent
(Version with the fictional people boxed in red and highlighted in white)

Now you're probably going to want explanations, so I'll tackle them by family.

===

For this section, all names in italics are either fictional or have fictionalised biographies

The Holmes Line

Charles Holmes MP (b.1711 d.1761): I chose him as the ultimate ancestor of the Holmes line which I could be bothered with because as far as pedigrees go, 3rd-in-command to General James Wolfe (of The Death Of fame, also note the surname) in the Seven Years' War is pretty alright, as it's known that he had progeny which otherwise historically vanishes, namely with, uh, the infamous madame and prostitute Jane Douglas (c. 1700-1761), which I took as a golden opportunity to connect the fictional Holmeses with.
  • Thomas Henry Holmes (b. 1746): The first of the "country squires" in the Holmes lineage (GREE), possibly Hollington in East Sussex, whom I named after two of Charles' brothers. He marries Jean Holmes née, Scott (b. 1752), first cousin once removed of the illustrious Sir Walter (and that's how "Scott" finds its way into the Holmes lineage, but more on that later) and has at least one son:
    • Charles Henry Holmes (b. 1776): The second of the country squires, who marries Mary-Ann Holmes, née Sigerson (b. 1785), a distant relative of George Sigerson the Irish doctor and poet, and that's how the name gets into the Holmes family and subsequently into Holmes' alias in Norway (EMPT).
      • William Henry Holmes (b. 1812): A musician and composer of some note, who I made into the uncle of Mycroft and Sherlock and also a plausible origin for the adeptness with which Sherlock plays the violin.
      • William Scott Holmes (b. 1819): The one who continued the management of the family holdings, whose name is otherwise a shout-out to the "full name" proposed by Baring-Gould for Sherlock, namely "William Sherlock Scott Holmes". He marries Violette Holmes, née Sherrinford (b. 1813) and has the most children amongst the Holmeses on this tree:
        • Sherrinford Holmes (b. 1842 d. 1915): A putative elder brother of the known Holmeses, mainly so that someone could run the country estates while Mycroft ran the business of HM Government and Sherlock could go about proving the possible, no matter how implausible. He marries Margaret Holmes, née Raffles (b. 1853), sister of A. J. (b. 1856), with no issue.
        • Mycroft Holmes (b. 1847): Older, fatter, brother of Sherlock, Diogenes Club (GREE), sometimes is the British Government (BRUC), etc. You know the rest.
        • Sherlock Holmes (b. 1854): World's Greatest Detective this side of Batman. Has an affair with Irene Adler (b. 1858) whilst the world think's he's at the foot of Reichenbach Falls and sires and one child by her:
        • Myra Wallace, née Holmes (b. 1865 d. 1915): The Even Smarter Younger Sister of Sherlock, or my copyright-averting take on Enola Holmes (Enola is just Alone backwards and wasn't invented as a name until 1886! Bad Nancy Springer!) with "Myra" simply continuing the apparent Sh-My-Sh-__ pattern amongst the Holmes siblings. She marries Charles Wallace (b. 1862 d. 1915), an Englishman of Jewish extraction [named after the A Wrinkle In Time kid] but both die in a car accident on the Sussex Downs (ironically en route to Sherrinford's funeral), orphaning their only child:
          • Mary Wallace (b. 1899), my own take on Laurie R. King's Mary Russell (Alfred Russel Wallace, geddit?), who is described as having Jewish ancestry and is around 15 at the time of her introduction to Sherlock. The whole thing about them winding up as husband and wife honestly skeeves the hell out of me so to nix that possibility entirely I'm recontextualising her as Sherlock's niece. Will be the viewpoint character of The Phantom of the Opera-House, my next crossover fic, stay tuned.
The Scott Line

Sir Walter Scott [not that one] (b.1654 d.1729) is the single most ancient person on this pedigree, mainly because I split off from the other Sir Walter's line here. Married Jean Scott née Campbell (b. 1679), begetting:
  • Robert Scott (b. 1699), married Barbara Scott née Halliburton.
    • Walter Scott, WS [still not that one] (b. 1729), married Anne Rutherford:
  • James Scott (b. 1715), father of:
    • Jean Holmes, nee Scott (b. 1752), married Thomas Henry Holmes (b. 1746):
      • The Holmes Line, see above.
The Vernet Line

Claude Vernet (b. 1714 d. 1789): Sherlock tells Watson that his grandmother was a sister of "Vernet, the French painter" (GREE), with no further elaboration, and Sherlockians have combed over the Vernets with a fine-toothed-comb, resulting in the conclusion that he was probably talking about Horace, who's Claude's grandson. Claude married Virginia Parker (b. 1728):
  • Carle Vernet (b. 1758 d. 1836), also an illustrious French painter, married Catherine Françoise Vernet née Moreau (b. 1770 d. 1821):
    • Horace Vernet (b. 1789 d. 1863), also an illustrious French painter.
    • Louise Sherrinford, nee Vernet (b. 1793), married Basil Sherrinford (b. 1789)
      • The Sherrinford Line, see below.
The Sherrinford Line

Basil Sherrinford (b. 1789), maternal grandfather of Sherlock Holmes, named after one Diane Tran's exegesis of the Great Mouse Detective's full name (and thus indirectly after Basil Rathbone), with "Sherrinford" being the original draft of Sherlock's first name which got thrown out because Arthur Conan Doyle thought Sherrinford was too esoteric, because "Sherlock" is definitely much more common. He married Louise Sherrinford, née Vernet (b. 1793), with at least one child relevant to this family tree:
  • Violette Holmes née Sherrinford (b. 1813), mother of Sherlock et al.; "Violet" being Sherlock's mother's name is another hoary old theory because of the number of Violets in the canon that Sherlock takes a shine to (paging Dr. Freud), with the exemplar being the highly independent and resourceful Violet Hunter from COPP; her name's rendered this way to reflect her French heritage. Marries William Scott Holmes (b. 1819) in the one of only two pairings in this whole pedigree which has an older wife than husband, giving rise to:
    • The Holmes Line, we've seen that already.
The Raffles Line

Thomas Raffles (b. 1711), grandfather of Stamford Bingley, founder of the British colony of Singapore and first president of the London Zoo because I'm regionally biased. He had two wives, firstly Susann Raffles, née Leigh (b. 1717):
He also married Jane Raffles, née Gibson and had a bunch of children by her, with one relevant to our discussion:
  • Daniel Raffles (b. 1753), who for the purposes of this genealogy, had at least one child:
    • Thomas Raffles (b. 1802), named after his grandfather and half-cousin I guess
      • Margaret Holmes, née Raffles (b. 1853), married Sherrinford Holmes (b. 1842), no issue.
      • Arthur J. "A. J." Raffles (b. 1856), gentleman thief and brother-in-law to Sherrinford (and by extension Sherlock), which means he has the same relation to the Holmes brothers as his creator E. W. Hornung did with Arthur Conan Doyle.
The Wallace Line (Not the Sahul-Sunda One)

Russell Wallace (b. 1823) is the most senior member of the Wallace family under consideration and really is just a reminder that the Wallaces are my version of Laurie R. King's Russells. Mary Russell/Wallace's Jewish heritage comes from her (later converted) grandmother, Judith Wallace, nee Klein (b. 1822), who shares a name with an American film critic of some note. They had one child:
  • Charles Levy Wallace (b. 1862 d.1915), who married Myra Wallace née Holmes (b. 1865 d.1915); they both die in a car accident on the Sussex Downs whilst going to Hollington to settle the will of Myra's brother Sherrinford Holmes (b. 1842 d. 1915), whose childless marriage means that after some negotiation between Mycroft and Sherlock, who both don't want the estates, they decide that they're to be inherited by:
    • Mary Wallace (b. 1899), my own please-don't-sue-me take on Mary Russell.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about this, god knows I've wasted enough time on it already.

P.S. Take that, Wold Newton!

And Justice For All. The Election of 2060.
mustafa-stewart-jpeg.467475

The campaign poster for Democratic Party candidate Mustafa Thomas Stewart, who had previously served as the senator of Massachusetts. Stewarts campaign would focus primarily on issues such as veteran compensation, environmental protection, green industrial policies, the continuations of policies and programs such as universal health care, the DREAM Act, and the Reinstated Paris Agreement. He would be criticised for his borderline hawkish stance when it came to Autocratic Governments such as the United Russian Union, and the Saudi Government. This would not stop him from winning the election.

screen-shot-2019-06-23-at-4-40-01-pm-png.467476

One of Stewarts key rival during the election would be the Conservative Parties candidate Ben Shapiro, who would launch a series of attack adds against Stewart, mostly targeting his religious beliefs, policies and even targeting his fidelity, circulating rumours that Stewart had began an affair with his nominee for Vice President. Many would argue that this would cost Shapiro the election, seeing how besides from this, he rarely ever talked much about his own policies, and most of the policies he did mention frequently would be highly critiqued, such as the dissolution of the DREAM Act, and his even more hawkish stance against the Middle East.

(Feel free to ask me anything about the TL).

And Justice For All. The Election of 2060.

screen-shot-2019-06-23-at-4-40-01-pm-png.467476

One of Stewarts key rival during the election would be the Conservative Parties candidate Ben Shapiro, who would launch a series of attack adds against Stewart, mostly targeting his religious beliefs, policies and even targeting his fidelity, circulating rumours that Stewart had began an affair with his nominee for Vice President. Many would argue that this would cost Shapiro the election, seeing how besides from this, he rarely ever talked much about his own policies, and most of the policies he did mention frequently would be highly critiqued, such as the dissolution of the DREAM Act, and his even more hawkish stance against the Middle East.

(Feel free to ask me anything about the TL).

What a frightening reality you’ve cooked up