Medvedev warns America not to recognise Georgias Breakaway States

I have just heard on the radio that Bush has signed a decree, in which the American Federation has recognised the independence of East Alabama and Savannah.

Medvedev has been on record as saying that the Union of Russian States does not condone this sort of unilateral secession, and that the American Federation is being overly imperialistic towards its former states.

The people of East Alabama and Savannah want nothing more then to return back to their mother country. The Confederacy of American States has repeatedly ignored the pleas for greater autonomy and those people are simply responding in the only way that will make them heard.

I wonder how this will affect the already-volatile situation in the Appalachians? If the American Federation condones this, wouldn't more minority groups within the American Federation desire more autonomy or independence? I'm especially considering the already vigilant Tennesseans, and their neighboring Caroliners.

Also, will this have any effect on the oil-rich nation of Florida and their border tensions with Louisiana. Could this be the beginning of further imperialism by the American Federation?

I'm worried about the 2014 Winter Games in Mobile.

This is still just wierd to me. Granted the Winter Dome will be a marvel of engineering, 2 miles high & 5 miles in diameter with a controled winter climate year round, but what's next? The summer games in Antartica?

Winter games in Mobile?! That's a dumb choice anyways, hopefully they'll get moved.

OOC: oops, I read about the Sochi (near Abkhazia) games a few days ago. I should have put Summer Games.

This is still just wierd to me. Granted the Winter Dome will be a marvel of engineering, 2 miles high & 5 miles in diameter with a controled winter climate year round, but what's next? The summer games in Antartica?

Meh, I'm much more excited about the space elevator. By the way, did you know that awemuch is last year's number 1 neologism.

OOC: That is really a very cool idea.

I wonder how this will affect the already-volatile situation in the Appalachians? If the American Federation condones this, wouldn't more minority groups within the American Federation desire more autonomy or independence? I'm especially considering the already vigilant Tennesseans, and their neighboring Caroliners.

Also, will this have any effect on the oil-rich nation of Florida and their border tensions with Louisiana. Could this be the beginning of further imperialism by the American Federation?

Many political commentators are already saying that the American Federation was bound to respond to the encroachment by the Atlantic Pact into the former US sphere eventually. The Federation has every right to consider itself encircled by hostile states now that Florida is on its way to become a Pact member. Even if Mexico and Brazil have been critical towards her membership, I'm sure the Russians will push it through eventually.

The Chronicle in Québec had a story about the Québécois OSCA observers in Georgia. From their reports it appears that there is cultural cleansing being committed by both the Georgian troops as well as Federation-supported "volunteers" from West Alabama, for example small towns are burned down and the people forced to leave their homes on both sides. It does not look good.

The people of East Alabama and Savannah want nothing more then to return back to their mother country. The Confederacy of American States has repeatedly ignored the pleas for greater autonomy and those people are simply responding in the only way that will make them heard.

That is just American Propaganda! According to the UN report on the situation in Georgia most people in East Alabama and Savannah were happy with the autonomy arrangements that were put in place after the fall of the US.

From the Delaware Commonwealth News:

It has been reported that separatists in the Delmarva Peninsula are secretly meeting to plan actions for the coming months, with representatives from Savannah and East Alabama attending. According to an unnamed source, a Declaration of Succession and Independence is the order of the day. When this will take place is unknown at this time, bus sources close to the Administration feel that the whole thing is just a rumor. Other sources, wishing to remain anonymous, say that the Governor has plans to arrest and confine the separatists immediately if or when they make their pronouncement.

bobindelaware

CNN reports that Prime Minister Edward Kennedy of the Republic of New England has just resigned his office due to the strain of dealing with the recent events in the American Confederation and his own cancer.

President James Jeffords has asked Foreign Secretary Joseph Lieberman to form a new government.

More details as the story develops.

Just reported: Louisiana has called for Mexican and Brazilian aid as a result of the devastation in New Orleans caused by Hurricane Gustav. What do you think the American Federation response to this would be?

Especially with Eastern Kentucky...

The Caroliners are in enough trouble already without 'seccessionists' in Georgia making trouble.

Florida is coping well, with the situation from all the reports I have seen, though their export routes now have to go via Cuba and the Carribean, rather than via Bermuda...

OOC: is it just me or is it ITTL, everything about Georgia and Russia is in the Americas??? Its like the entire world swapped roles:

American Federation = Russian Federation
Union of Russian States = United States
Atlantic Pact = NATO
Independent American states = Georgia, Ossetia, etc.

So instead of the Balkin Wars, was it actually the Canadian Wars? :p:rolleyes:

OOC: is it just me or is it ITTL, everything about Georgia and Russia is in the Americas??? Its like the entire world swapped roles:

Atlantic Pact = NATO

OOC: That's what a DBWI is.

Apparently an American Federation nuclear submarine has just arrived in Lisbon.

Can you say Turkish Missile Crisis again?

Atlantic Pact = NATO

OOC: You are right. Thought the Balkan War analogue could well be the Mexican Wars instead of the Canadian Wars. Just an idea.