For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

Gore Administration- The Beginning
Well, this is my first timeline! A timeline where Al Gore instead of George W. Bush became President of the United States in 2000. It's a bit of a classic, but there's alot of potential here and I am happy to take suggestions, criticisms and corrections since politics is not exactly my forte here.

In fact, I'll be happy to work with others when it comes to suggestions for House/Senate/Gov elections alongside staff picks! Along with some other potential interactions...

But it goes!

For A Gore Prosperous Tomorrow!

December 2000

"At the end of the day, the man with most votes wins and gets it. Anything otherwise would be a dentriment to our democracy."

"Alot of votes nearly lost at technicalities. This is inane."

No one knew how it happened or the details at the time. Some say it was a miracle or a stroke of misfortune. Others say it was the work of God. Some say it was a bunch of little things that came together. Perhaps it was Gore asking for a more thorough recount. Perhaps it was the Supreme Court of the US or Florida going by instinct or new decisions or lack thereof. The Florida recount had been one of the most tenseful periods in the election season, especially with everything looking so close.

However, the recounts went through and the entire ordeal went on too long. At the end of the day, political chicanery drove everyone to a wall and it just ended. The news said it out loud.

AL GORE TAKES FLORIDA!

upload_2019-6-23_10-49-58.png

George W. Bush would take the news as well as anyone could, but the stress and especially so near the holidays had just gotten to him. He would concede the Election over to Al Gore. Starting within 2001, the 43rd President of the United States would be none other than Albert Arnold Gore Jr.

It was one of the closest watched elections. While a minor few felt Bush got cheated, the general consensus showed that the man who gained the most votes would win. Additionally, for the gaffes aimed at Al Gore's expense, he still portrayed himself seriously and thus, seemed more like President material than George Bush Jr.

The new millenium began so contentiously and many people hoped that matters would improve over time. That the future would be prosperous after everything they had gone through.

Only time would tell. Al Gore meanwhile would get his congratulations from Bill Clinton and the Democrats secure themselves four more years. Yet, with the Senate tied and the House barely in the Republican camp, it was going to require plenty of compromises, though who knew what the future would hold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, who would you recommend that Gore would take for his Cabinet?

Last edited:
Solid start to your timeline, @CountDVB! You've earned a watch from me. :) I can't wait to see where you take this.

As for recommendations for a Gore cabinet... I think former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn would be a strong choice for Secretary of Defense. At State I could easily see Richard Holbrooke, though I've heard that Gore may have considered Colin Powell as a wild card pick if he wanted to show that he could be bipartisan. Anyway, just my two cents. :D Good luck with the TL!

Gore Presidency August 2001
All right... time for the first of interaction...

August 2001

It has been a couple months since Al Gore has been sworn in as President of the United States. His initial activities included continuing the containment procedures against Iraq while also dealing with the beginnings of a recession, brought out by various factors, including the "dotcom bubble" bursting. Rumors of Enron had been circulating and some predict it would lead to something big throughout that time. Meanwhile, unsurprisingly, Al Gore continued to have the United States focus on reducing the greenhouse gases emissions as part of their dedication to the Kyoto protocol. The Gore Administration had been working on ways to implement the policies, such as tax investments for renewable energy along with tax breaks for companies for pursuing the policies. However, the tie between the Democrats and Senate has made it difficult to get greater incentives moving. However, he did achieve some success with dealing with "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. The justifications for the policy had always seemed controversial and Al Gore's invitation to the Log Cabin Republicans had been enough to win the support, especially as the continued loss would force the GOP to the table to begin negotations on repelling the policy.

US-Army-Dont-Ask-Dont-Tell-comic-35.jpg

A copy of the Don't Ask Don't Tell visual guide, made right around the decision. "Revised" copies, which included commentary and critiques have become widespread after showcased on late-night talk shows.

Meanwhile, Gore continued to work on the groundwork laid by his predecessor in reforming finance within the government and working to try and reduce government while also maintaining oversight. Perhaps the largest role in this was the Justice Department's continued pursuit in the likely division of Microsoft after they were found guilty for monopolistic practices. The man of the time, Jackson, proposed a plan that would see Microsoft be divided into two companies, one handling the development of Windows OS and the other for everything else regarding Microsoft software. However, the appeal was ongoing and the Justice Department would be going over the details for the final decision. To some of the more progressive members, they are optimistic. The pundits and communicators worked to show that it would be beneficial in the long-run, since it would keep small businesses from being dominated by monolithic megacorps.

A copy of Time Magazine's cover detailing the decision that many speculated would have rammifications in the future of computer development and anti-trust approaches.

However, for the Gore Administration, there was some troubling news quietly brewing. Intelligence reports had revealed the dangers of the organization Al-Queda and the threat they posed with potential attacks on American soil. Gore remembered hearing about this during the time with Clinton and a couple of past attacks had led to the importance of counter-terrorism. He began mobilizing the intelligence agencies to improve the safey of the United States, having gotten the meeting with Richard Clarke. Al Gore hoped the intelligence would be enough in order to stop it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All right then! This leads us to the big question... Does Al Gore succeed in stopping 9/11 or not? Leave your suggestions on what I could add alongside other notes below. Feel free also to come up with things I could include, such as the aforementioned suggestions for a Gore cabinet along with recommendations to the Supreme Court.

Last edited:
Solid start to your timeline, @CountDVB! You've earned a watch from me. :) I can't wait to see where you take this.

As for recommendations for a Gore cabinet... I think former Georgia Senator Sam Nunn would be a strong choice for Secretary of Defense. At State I could easily see Richard Holbrooke, though I've heard that Gore may have considered Colin Powell as a wild card pick if he wanted to show that he could be bipartisan. Anyway, just my two cents. :D Good luck with the TL!

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I would be happy to accept all the help and input since it would help out.

Have the 9/11 attacks be partially successful (maybe have AA 11 hit the North Tower, while UA 175 misses the South Tower and hits the World Financial Center and AA flight 77 crashes into the Washington Monument while trying to hit the White House. Meanwhile, have Flight 93's attack fail and the pilots manage to land at Pittsburgh Airport (maybe the pilots are more alert)...)...

Nobody cared about repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in 2001.

Gore would not have repealed that in his first few acts in office. He was Vice President when it was enacted.

Seriously, even Obama kept DADT for his first 2.5 years as president, including for about 6 months after Congress had expressly given him permission to repeal DADT. And it was a court that ultimately got rid of DADT, not Obama.

Last edited:
Nobody cared about repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell in 2001.
Al Gore actually was quoted back in 2000 in regards to it and I figure if he could not repeal it in the House and Senate, perhaps an executive order. It was not really ever liked and I figured it could be ended if the neocons were not in charge. I can imagine someone bringing up the homosexual military groups of the ancient past or someone bringing up about harassment charges in the military of men to women.

Al Gore actually was quoted back in 2000 in regards to it and I figure if he could not repeal it in the House and Senate, perhaps an executive order. It was not really ever liked and I figured it could be ended if the neocons were not in charge. I can imagine someone bringing up the homosexual military groups of the ancient past or someone bringing up about harassment charges in the military of men to women.

Hmm. Didn’t know that.

But, at this article mentions, repealing DADT would have been unpopular. And IDK if he would have had the power to repeal it via executive order. https://products.kitsapsun.com/archive/1999/12-20/0061_tom_philpott___don_t_ask__don_t_t.html

People forget where gay rights were in 2001. Sodomy laws were still around in some states.

Hmm. Didn’t know that.

But, at this article mentions, repealing DADT would have been unpopular. And IDK if he would have had the power to repeal it via executive order. https://products.kitsapsun.com/archive/1999/12-20/0061_tom_philpott___don_t_ask__don_t_t.html

People forget where gay rights were in 2001. Sodomy laws were still around in some states.

Yeah, but even then, it was unpopular and there were several cases, including one by the Log Cabin Republicans. Under Gore, there could be an opportunity to try and do so. Plus, I figure there could be the question brought up in regards to how this coudl extend to race and so on.

And state laws don't mean much, especially since given now, there are still laws for ridiculous things or laws that fail to pass you think should've been passed, such as child marriage.

And Clinton did do it as part of his compromises with the GOP, another of which was screwing over Sallie Mae. Though granted, you are making a bit of a point.

Have the 9/11 attacks be partially successful (maybe have AA 11 hit the North Tower, while UA 175 misses the South Tower and hits the World Financial Center and AA flight 77 crashes into the Washington Monument while trying to hit the White House. Meanwhile, have Flight 93's attack fail and the pilots manage to land at Pittsburgh Airport (maybe the pilots are more alert)...)...

Maybe though I am not sure if partial successes would be more or less likely than failure. I've read differing conflicts on whether Gore could've succeeded or not. If the information would've been enough to pursue and in order to do so. Either it's prevented or it goes.

I'm a simple man, you put a Simpsons reference in your TL, I subscribe.

I do not know what you are talking about:
Simpsons-Al-Gore-600x300.jpg

Granted, I am debating if whether to post pone the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" thing, at least for now. If 9/11 does happen, I reckon Al Gore could sneak it by under the guise of needing more manpower to combat terrorism.

Beyond that, advice or suggestions for things like Enron, Microsoft and so on?

Al Gore Event- 9/11
And here we... go. The start of some big changes...

A Day To Remember

Jonathan_Smith_WTC.jpg

The famous Twin Towers before the 9/11 Terrorist Attacks

September 11, 2001 was a day that would be remembered in the minds of many Americans and the world in general. On that day, airplanes were hijacked by several members of the terrorist group Al-Queda in an attempt to crash them into several important landmarks of American culture. However, intelligence reports obtained by the Gore Administration and the previous Clinton Administration had warned them of potential terrorist attacks and had increased security along with the presence of air marshalls. However, the Gore administration did run into some trouble with some of the Chiefs of Staff in regards to this. However, in retrospect, many look at Al Gore's movements toward them to have saved countless lives.

The plan was to hijack four American Airline planes and crash into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and the White House, according to one of the captured members over on September 11, 2001 in the morning. Unfortunately for them, the increased security and intelligence by Al Gore led to difficulties within the plan. While some of the members would end up being caught, they refused to admit to anything until after the attacks happened. However, with the plan now ruined, some improvised. One attempted to knock both the Twin Towers out with one plan, but they ended up grazing the top of both of them in trying to hit both. Additionally, the different direction meant they ended up crashing into the water once the crew took control. Another flight did succeed in hitting the Pentagon while one last one was veered off course by the brave passangers, though the pilot had gotten hold of the plane enough to make a safe landing. While the Twin Towers were damaged from the top, the rapid response and the grazing meant that the towers were fundamentally stable though many lives were still lost.

Al Gore did not know what he would do that day when he was thinking it prior. But now he had to address the nation. To everyone, the stoic Al Gore suddenly appeared more serious. His stony demeanor appeared chiseled and unbreakable in this time of crisis. His manner of speaking, often teased for being boring had the tone of a quiet and competanant professional. Some pundits even referred to the manner as remiscent of Theodore Roosevelt's famous adage of "speak softly and carry a big stick." And now it would seem, these terrorists would indeed, get one thorough beating with the stick. No one would mock Al Gore in this time as he worked to unite and hold the nation together. Many of them, united by tragedy, and the world sympathetic to them, would go and achieve what was needed.

The next several days were spent interrogating and getting information from the captured and plans would be made to attack Al-Queda and their leader, Osama Bin-Laden while he was still in Afghanistan. However, there were divisions within the military as some wanted to boost more national security. In a sly power move though, Al Gore would get his additional numbers in, a powerful force to go in and take out Al-Queda. But the key to it was that many of them happened to be members suspected of or possibly confirmed to be homosexual. Given how they were likely to be let go because of the violation of "Don't Ask Don't Tell," he decided to use presidential authority to have them take the mission and serve the nation. It was a bit of a gamble, but if it would succeed in capturing the terrorists alongside with making it easier to repeal that, then so be it. Many of the brave men and women who had long had to hide their sexuality felt elated to be personall addressed by the President and perhaps felt a greater sense of urgency to not let him nor the nation down.

However, the seeds were planted for events beyond the control. Among the numbers and information reported, the undercurrents that most of these men were all from Saudi Arabia, a supposed ally of the Untied States, had left a strange and bitter taste in their mouth. While perhaps it was an open secret on how Arabia under the House of Saud could be, some have begun speculating that the rot that some have feared against them is coming to light...

Last edited:
Right from the election to 9/11? That's nine months, a pretty big timeskip.

This is my first timeline and I went from Al Gore being sworn in to September (and he got sworn in the beginning of the year.) Not much has been going on (then again, I was six at the time) and I wouldn't know what changes Al Gore would be able to implement, at least in the details. I reckon he would start small since his ambitions would require major political capital and influence and now he has a chance to really get some. From what I gather, there were tax cuts and so on. I know he'd wanted to sign an act on hate crimes, but I reckon that he'd wait until he can include LGTBQ+ people in it as well.

Gore Presidency- End of 2001
[/imhYup! Another update! It seems like we're flying by, but I will probably come back and add later posts regarding foreign poicy and things like Supreme Court Justices and so on. It's why I would appreciate input coming in on what I could add or suggestions on things such as the Cabinet in Al Gore's presidency or what could be some programs he would put in and the likelihoods. Perhaps none other would be the House and Senate Elections along with some governor stuff.

A Cataclysmic Christmas in 2001

"Someday the Republicans are gonna say that this wasn't a big deal. It was always gonna happen we were gonna get him this quick or that Bush could've done it as well and so on and so forth. But today, we celeberate the fine work of our brave soldiers, our intelligence agents and of course, President Gore."

"President Gore gave America one hell of a Christmas gift. And he gave some just a bit more..."

"Microsoft splitting was one thing we saw coming. The fact that one of those sides then did a merger though... that's a Christmas miracle."

The nation mourned. The nation buried their dead. They then went up to the world and proposed they needed to deal with this meance... on organizations striking fear and terror into the hearts and minds of good people. Al-Queda and others like it would fall. A War on Terror would take place and ensure such atrocities would not be likely to happen again. President Gore went and commenced Operation Terror Management. The goal was the invasion of Afghanistan, controlled by the Taliban and the capture of Osama Bin Laden and as meny key members of Al-Queda as possible. In early October, a large force of men and women made their way into the nation to begin Terror Management. They would soon be reinforced by more forces, courtesy of the special orders of Al Gore involving the usage of DADT-related soldiers, using the reason of necessary manpower among the more private reasons to prove a point to the nation and to the world.

SF_Sgt_Mario_Vigil_with_SF_and_NA_forces_west_of_Konduz_in_November_2001.jpg

U.S. Army Special Forces soldiers and Northern Alliance fighters outside Kunduz in November 2001.Battle of Kunduz.

Beyond Terror Management, problems laid at home, what with the anthrax scale and all that. Hours of debate led to the PATRIOT Act, an act signed in early Novemeber that would lead to large scale controversy and be viewed as a dark spot on Al Gore's presidency though many would also note it signaled the seeds of changing ideas within the Democratic Party, as even with the changes proposed and added (in particular to Senator Feingold and Representative Senators). While there were many controversies in the Patriot Act, such as but not limited to the permission given to law enforcement to search a home or business without the owner's or the occupant's consent or knowledge; the expanded use of National Security Letters, which allows the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to search telephone, e-mail, and financial records without a court order; and the expanded access of law enforcement agencies to business records, including library and financial record, there was some positive news. The would-be Title IV regarding border security would be omitted, instead the Gore Adminsitration working with their neighbors to watch for terrorism while indefinite detentions on immigrants was also ruled against. However, largest of all was the fact that the PATRIOT Act would have be renewed yearly. The idea was that it would be done away with for the most part after the conflict has been resolved. Would they be able to get him 2002 or 2003? It seemed likely.

However, fortunate favors the prepared and Al Gore's prepations landed him fortunate over in early December in the legendary battle of Tora Dora, the supposed stronghold of Al-Queda. Al Gore's reinforcements proved themselves here, especially with a speech from the President himself broadcasted for them. He believed in them and in the nation. They would prevail. Initially, the extra forces were disputed against in Tora Dora. After all, Pakistan would've taken care of them if they escaped. However, Al Gore is a meticulous and thorough man. Gone were the gags and good natured jokes of his dull tone and replaced with the sort of admiration for the curt professional who got shit done well and on time. The qualities one would desire in a President.

According to some recollections and events. Osama Bin Laden himself was shot in the leg and prevented from an escape attempt by a soldier who was just outed by DADT days prior before being sent here. It was to be his final assignment yet for him and his squad who had to wear an invicible pink letter of shame, they felt nothing but pride and vindication. They got him. They got the bastard. The reinforcements did their duty and reminded the world of the honor and professionalism of the armed forces.

2001-12-13-frame-grab-DoD.jpg

2001 video of Osama Bin Laden, weeks before his capture

Rather than be killed and shot, he was captured, brought over to the UN for trial and then executed. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the court trial of Bin Laden became the most watched report of the year as many were looking into the eyes of what many considered to be evil itself. Bin Laden remained quiet for the most part, perhaps hoping to try and achieve matyrdom though others noted he was tired. However, one of the most remembered moments was perhaps the parting words of President Al Gore to Bin Laden. They were ot fiery not spiteful, but... cool and analytical. He started by bringing up basic information about Al-Queda and the Taliban before he then brought up comparisons to the past Caliphates of old. How the Islamic Golden Age was a period of enlightenment and study, being so far from what Bin Laden wanted. The summaries then became a series of question about taxation, housing, social care and so on, which actually confused Bin Laden... only to bring up the ultimate point. That Bin Laden... his followers... they did not know how to actually run a nation that would care for its people or achieve the success of their predecessors. In a way that only the meticulous and somewhat beige tone Al Gore was associated with, he handed Bin Laden a final defeat. One where the warped dreams of a "purely Muslim state" was crushed by the truth of the huldrum everyday activities of bureaucracy and the reality of how people like Bin Laden would never fit into the Islamic Golden Age. That the ordinary hardworking Muslims who cooperaed and lived alongside the others unlike them and like them that would fit that Golden Age... and better deserved it than Al-Queda or anyone like him such as the Baathists.

Osama Bin Laden and many of the captured members would be executed via lethal injection on December 23, 2011.

The year ended on a high note and with that came new promises of a brighter tomorrow. Better trade relations were established between the United States and China, signaling perhaps the true end of the Cold War. However, other problems would soon come to rise. The Enron Scandal, brewing in the background of 9/11 would come into the frontlight as Bin Laden's capture would be part of the Christma celeberations and the cold realities of the Enron bankrupcy would come to light against the new precedent. That which saw Microsoft be broken up in October into two. The hardware and operating systems would become Microsoft Operations while the rest of the software development, such as that of what was Microsoft Office would end up becoming MS Applications. While the names were pending, it signaled the willingness of the government to maintain breaking up monopolies. MS Applications would soon began working on exporting Microsoft Office (now MSOffice) onto different operating systems and hope to bring the golden standard of their development into other systems.

However, Microsoft Operations surprised the world with their latest developments. While the release of the Xbox was not surprising news, especially as the company was promoting it for a while, many were surprised by further news of Microsoft, now Microsoft Operations' secret merger. Initially, the talks fell through, but with the schism inevitable, this was a gamble they needed and one to try and ensure the success of the Xbox. And what better way than to come pre-loaded with popular and ground-breaking games, including a franchise who has maintained a dominance in the West in not just video games but in TV. Of course, the merger would take months to complete, especially with internatioal companies, plus pre-established deals and commitments that were made had to be honored, but it would be good practice in the long-run and would allow Microsoft to begin positive relationships with Nintendo.

The news was the merger of Microsoft Operations and SEGA... Sonic the Hedgehog was moving to the Xbox.

6052_grande.jpg

Picture of the Microsoft XBox Blue Blur Edition; it came with a pre-order for Sonic Adventure 2X, a port of the original Dreamcast title enhanced to take advantage of the Xbox's superior processing.