AHC/WI: A Manson family member assasinate Soviet leader

How could one of Charles Manson followers assasinate a prominent Soviet politician while on the diplomatic mission in the US? And what would happen in this scenario?

(No, I don't know why that's such a trope either.)

As far as I know, it started with For All Time having people like Manson and Jim Jones as political figures, done after a longer, steady progression through steadily worse "conventional" figures. There, it was kind of the final result of how far everything had sunk, and it made more sense within the context of the story.

For the imitators, it's just cheap shock value, and isn't even remotely original anymore.

Though technically his ideology was conservative, Manson generally postured as an anti-establishment type, and it's not clear to me why he would want to assassinate a Soviet leader. Killing a commie would just be doing what "the Man" would want him to do anyway.

But okay, let's say someone from the Family shoots a Soviet leader in the 1970s. If this happens AFTER Squeaky's attempt on Ford, the conspiracy nuts are gonna go into overdrive: "Yeah, man, Ford was just a dress rehersal for Brezhnev, that's why they let him live. Goddam MK-ULTRA brainwashing, they knew EXACTLY what they were doing."

Though technically his ideology was conservative, Manson generally postured as an anti-establishment type, and it's not clear to me why he would want to assassinate a Soviet leader. Killing a commie would just be doing what "the Man" would want him to do anyway.

Perhaps it's driven by a "both sides are basically the same" kind of mentality?

Perhaps it's driven by a "both sides are basically the same" kind of mentality?

Yeah, I was thinking they might want to enact some sort of Helter Skelter Plan B, ie. bump off the bigwigs from both sides, hoping to start a war.

But even then, I think the Family probably got off on having as their targets iconic members of the American establishment. My understanding is that the only reason Sharon Tate and her hippie friends fell victim to them was because they had moved into the hoise of a more conventionally upper-class family, who were the intended targets.