Medieval America Mark III

tehskyman

Banned
i swear i saw some earlier stuff that wasnt on whites map though, like stuff on the mexican border in the west for example

Oh yes, the Baja Colorado stuff. In the west, we've changed things around a bit, adding settlements/states in Western Nevada, Western Montana, Colorado River delta and in Colorado proper. But I don't think we've changed anything in the East.

is there an up to date map?
dcvetw9-aa47de9f-5677-4ddf-831b-5ef3b0591c3f.png

Realistically, it could go on and on until incremental scientific progress in either the new or old world results in a world that is technologically not Medieval, but also no Renaissance to go with it. But how the Renaissance happened is complex and it's possible that it could happen again in either the old world or the new.

It could also go in another way, with Europe sending explorers to the America's again, bringing in more advanced technology. I say this instead of rediscover because there is the possibility of incidental contact every now and then with American ships being swept up by the gulf current to Europe and very low volume trade occuring from Newfoundland to Greenland to Iceland to Northern Europe. The America's could also send explorers to Europe though I think this is less likely because Europe's primary trade routes were east-west and land based. This meant that when they were blocked, Europeans would attempt to go around the world the other way, thus bumping into the Americas. In the Americas there is less incentive to send people out to sea because long-distance trade is North-South and primary trade routes are sea-based
I'm suddenly picturing the old feudal order meeting its end Europe yet again with the return of gunpowder. Only with them being able to skip from matchlocks straight to repeating rifles and the outbreak of a major, which looks like if someone crossed the 30 years war with ww1. That and the arrival of a steamship in Manhattan from Europe (they new going west to access the markets in Asia weren't going to work this time so they figured on making faster ships that could safely travel around Africa.)

Though the "Neo-Renaissance is just as likely to happen in East Asia as Europe.

Depending on how depleted easily accessible resources were when everything came crashing down a recovery to some sort of early modern period is unlikely but I still like to think about how such an early modern North America would look centuries down the line, it would certainly be interesting. Also, even if Mechanicsburg doesn't fit the thread I still think the myth of a surviving advanced state would still exist, somewhat analogous to the Prester John stories from the original medieval period.

Depending on how depleted easily accessible resources were when everything came crashing down a recovery to some sort of early modern period is unlikely but I still like to think about how such an early modern North America would look centuries down the line, it would certainly be interesting. Also, even if Mechanicsburg doesn't fit the thread I still think the myth of a surviving advanced state would still exist, somewhat analogous to the Prester John stories from the original medieval period.
I could see Stirling cycle engines becoming a popular source of non human/animal power early on in the Neo-early modern era. With maybe wood alcohol burning steam and internal combustion engines being developed a few generations later down the line. Perhaps with the whole thing having been kicked off by either an agriculture revolution, after some of the powers figured out how to build 19th century horse drawn farming equipment or after a nasty plague swept through the continent, shaking the foundation of the existing religious establishments and allowing the lower classes to demand more for their labor.
Also, even if Mechanicsburg doesn't fit the thread I still think the myth of a surviving advanced state would still exist, somewhat analogous to the Prester John stories from the original medieval period.
I originally thought of it being a combination of it being the stories of Prester John and OTL medieval China with them not really seeing much value in interacting with the outside world since there so advanced. Possibly with a Mormon missionary/explorer being the one responsible for opening up trade with them and being the first outsider to seriously document them ala Marco Polo.

Last edited:
I originally thought of it being a combination of it being the stories of Prester John and OTL medieval China with them not really seeing much value in interacting with the outside world since there so advanced. Possibly with a Mormon missionary/explorer being the one responsible for opening up trade with them and being the first outsider to seriously document them ala Marco Polo.
Even if such a settlement doesn't actually exist in medieval America just the persistent rumor that it does will motivate all manner of quests by romantic true believers and boondoggles by warlords or bannermen looking for incredible weaponry. Actually in that vein would there be at least a few "cursed" weapons made out of uranium or something? Nothing most people would see in a lifetime but just present enough for horrifying rumors of swords that glow with power but strike down their wielders?

Even if such a settlement doesn't actually exist in medieval America just the persistent rumor that it does will motivate all manner of quests by romantic true believers and boondoggles by warlords or bannermen looking for incredible weaponry. Actually in that vein would there be at least a few "cursed" weapons made out of uranium or something? Nothing most people would see in a lifetime but just present enough for horrifying rumors of swords that glow with power but strike down their wielders?
Uranium and other radioactive elements are known to the New Agers of New Mexico and Arizona. They regard radioactivity with a great sense of mystery, most seeing its as 'bad vibes', while others see them as healing energetic waves in the right circumstances. The Trinity and Nevada test site (which are in reality no longer radioactive) and Yucca Mountain are locations of great fear and reverence among the New Agers.

As to radioactive weaponry, not sure where anyone would find radioactive materials that are smithable. But if they exist anywhere, it would be very rarely in the South West. Of course, the users better hope they die after a few battles from their wounds, because if they linger they will find themselves with a very nasty 'curse'.

tehskyman

Banned
A note on Uranium and radioactivity.

Naturally occurring uranium won't poison you. It's not radioactive enough. Once uranium begins to undergo fission, that's when it becomes incredibly radioactive.

Also 900 years is long enough that any nuclear weapons will have decayed to the point where they are no longer a threat

A note on Uranium and radioactivity.

Naturally occurring uranium won't poison you. It's not radioactive enough. Once uranium begins to undergo fission, that's when it becomes incredibly radioactive.

Also 900 years is long enough that any nuclear weapons will have decayed to the point where they are no longer a threat
I was more thinking along the lines of waste from nuclear plants, but again I don't know if that would be smithable.

tehskyman

Banned
I was more thinking along the lines of waste from nuclear plants, but again I don't know if that would be smithable.

If you could extract Uranium from the waste, you could smith it. Itd be like adding lead to steel though. It wouldn't be super practical.

There's probably all sorts of quest in Medieval America for lost pieces of technology and weaponry. Most either don't ever find anything or there to decade after centuries of disuse to be of any use but when they are they're worth more than their weight in gold. With entire armies fighting to claim them for their kings, warlords, churches etc.

Though I'm very tempted about writing a non cannon entry about an adventurer who actually managed to find the place and establish trade ties.
Uranium and other radioactive elements are known to the New Agers of New Mexico and Arizona. They regard radioactivity with a great sense of mystery, most seeing its as 'bad vibes', while others see them as healing energetic waves in the right circumstances. The Trinity and Nevada test site (which are in reality no longer radioactive) and Yucca Mountain are locations of great fear and reverence among the New Agers.

As to radioactive weaponry, not sure where anyone would find radioactive materials that are smithable. But if they exist anywhere, it would be very rarely in the South West. Of course, the users better hope they die after a few battles from their wounds, because if they linger they will find themselves with a very nasty 'curse'.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's plenty of legends about horrific weapons of the ancient world that could obliterate even the greatest of cities with the power of the sun or madmen who could call forth lightning to raise the dead.

Actually have the stories of Dracula and Frankenstein managed to survive by the present day.

Honestly given how many times Dracula and Frankenstein have been adapted I wouldn't be surprised if they survive. Along with the Lord of the Rings and other such classic books.Though maybe they're told by literate bards instead of being read since literacy is likely much rarer than now.

tehskyman

Banned
Dracula has staying power, a vampire being pursued by a valient knight of the church can survive.

Frankenstein is similar. A wizard creates a golem out of the body parts of the dead. Using a lightning strike or just magic he animates the golem and it persues the wizard to the ends of the earth.

Dracula has staying power, a vampire being pursued by a valient knight of the church can survive.

Frankenstein is similar. A wizard creates a golem out of the body parts of the dead. Using a lightning strike or just magic he animates the golem and it persues the wizard to the ends of the earth.

One could argue that The Portrait of Dorian Grey could also have some decent staying power. The contrast between outer goodness and inner corruption could be good for our more medieval religion. Or Jeckyll and Hyde. Especially if science has basically reverted into alchemy.

Honestly given how many times Dracula and Frankenstein have been adapted I wouldn't be surprised if they survive. Along with the Lord of the Rings and other such classic books.Though maybe they're told by literate bards instead of being read since literacy is likely much rarer than now.
Yeah the literary rate probably plummeted rock bottom compared to the pre-regression age.

There's probably a popular theme about man growing decedent and being punished by god with loss of their ancient wonders in some of the more current stories.
One could argue that The Portrait of Dorian Grey could also have some decent staying power. The contrast between outer goodness and inner corruption could be good for our more medieval religion. Or Jeckyll and Hyde. Especially if science has basically reverted into alchemy.
A lot of scientific knowledge has probably either been forgotten or warped into semi mystical pseudoknowledge (looking at you eco-buddhists). There might be "some" preserved records from the pre regression age, gathering dust in a nondemoninational, scientologist or mormom library.

Mad Alchemists who wish to harness the power of the Ancients to unleash horrific destruction upon their foes is probably a popular theme of in universe stories.

Carribean Trade

tehskyman

Banned
Though this is getting a bit ahead ourselves, looking at Mexico and Central America there are some good analogues to old-world areas.

Central Mexico is most similar to central spain but with volanoes and a possible theocracy ruled by the god-president of Mexico City. The Atlantic coast doesn't have a great analogue, the best one is probably Cuba, similar climates. This region along with Tabasco and Cuba are probably most similar to South-East Asia, Cambodia and Vietnam. Sinaloa is California but hotter. The southern Atlantic coast from Peurto Vallarta to Oaxaca is most similar to China's coast along Fujian and Zhejiang provinces, isolated and mountainous. The isthumus of Tehuantepec is probably the principle trade route between the Pacific and Atlantic It's populated along the entire route and there are good port cities at each end. Crossing further south requires large detours and dangerous travelling through jungles.

From Guatemala to Panama, this area is probably most like Indonesia. Makes sense, both are volcanic arcs. The Pacific coast is populated up until the Darien Gap. The Atlantic coast is probably all jungle and swamp.

As for trade routes, I think that ships might travel from harbor to harbor from Los Angeles to Panama carrying Cocaine and whatnot. However, the Pacific Coast of Colombia is all jungle and swamp. So the primary trade route from North America and the Carribean to Peru and the Southern Cone should probably have to loop from Cuba to the Lesser Antilles to the Venezuelan Coast. From there it either passes through Caracas or Maracaibo up onto the Andes. Then to Bogota and onto Peru.

But Central America should generally be pretty isolated, it's a bit of a dead end. Mexico would be this regions primary outlet to the world.

Heres a quick mockup

upload_2019-6-29_0-27-15.png

From the previous threads, there was a Mexican Empire and Colombian Empire. We could have a Colombian Empire stretching to the Darien whilst Mexico survives in Mesoamerica as a Catholic (albeit highly divergent) Empire with the King as Pope.