A Shining Valley - The Great Desert Lake in California

No remnant British territories or any sort of pseudo-Commonwealth sticking around, eh?
There is actually, just not where the United States have significant influence mainly in Oceania and North America. The equivalent of World War 2 wasn't too strenuous on the United Kingdom, but they basically got sidelined by the power of the United States.

Any chance we could get an update on what this TL's Civil War looked like?
Sure! I can put it out in a week or so. I will probably write out the introduction paragraphs and an infobox.

Thank you very much!

Also hey fellow readers, I am considering adding the Navajo-Hopi-Zuni reservations as a Native American free state so what are you thoughts on the idea?

I was reading this timeline and thinking precisely that, that the Najavo and surrounding reservations could become a free state... only to find you'd already mentioned it ^_^

There is actually, just not where the United States have significant influence mainly in Oceania and North America. The equivalent of World War 2 wasn't too strenuous on the United Kingdom, but they basically got sidelined by the power of the United States.
So has the US caused the Canadians and Australians to boot out the monarchy, or is it a situation similar to OTL?

Oh, and I'm really excited to see where the rest of this goes. This is a very good timeline, you know.

It’s amazing to think that the continued existence of a lake in California significantly altered world history.

This was my first response:
eyvgl1S.jpg

But, seriously, it looks like it has; I'd like to know more...

The most notable English influence is that in Californian Spanish, the adjective being placed before the noun in all cases, much unlike other Spanish dialects.

I was going the suggest español californio as the proper name, thankfully I didn't jump too early XD

So, is Californio as divergent from Standard Spanish as OTL New Mexican Spanish, or is it more like Argentinian Spanish, with strong influence from another language(s) but still mostly understandable for other Latin Americans and Spaniards? If it's the first case, is the standard variety taught alongside?

mfw when I look away for 30 minutes and then I get 10 notifications
It’s amazing to think that the continued existence of a lake in California significantly altered world history.
Yea, it makes my home state much more interesting :p. Unfortunately its an ASB, because my research basically showed that the river flow is inherently unstable around that region and thus having the river stay fixed for ~300 years is an near impossibility.

So has the US caused the Canadians and Australians to boot out the monarchy, or is it a situation similar to OTL?

Oh, and I'm really excited to see where the rest of this goes. This is a very good timeline, you know.
Australia and New Zealand did by democratic referendums (with America leaning over). With Canada its a bit more complicated because British economic ties to Canada are quite strong, so Canada is in the Commonwealth (or its equivalent). Of course the United States is right next door, so Canada is under pressure from both country.

This was my first response:
eyvgl1S.jpg

But, seriously, it looks like it has; I'd like to know more...
haha. Thank you! You guys always want to know more.

I was going the suggest español californio as the proper name, thankfully I didn't jump too early XD

So, is Californio as divergent from Standard Spanish as OTL New Mexican Spanish, or is it more like Argentinian Spanish, with strong influence from another language(s) but still mostly understandable for other Latin Americans and Spaniards? If it's the first case, is the standard variety taught alongside?
Yea its more like OTL New Mexican Spanish, with its significant amount of loan words from a couple different languages, divergent morphology, and phonology. When you mean standard variety, I assume you mean Mexican Spanish? Traditionally they only taught Californian Spanish, because... well... in their view they were already speaking Spanish so there is no need to. Of course as migration from Mexico occurred past the 1950s, there was some recognition that Californian Spanish is pretty different. However there was really no move to accommodate this aside from attempting to assimilate the new migration. Remember they are very protective of their national identity, and so this also includes influence from other Spanish dialects. Of the course the irony is that their Spanish is already greatly influenced by other languages.

Last edited:
Always love to see more Gran Lago content

Anyway, this one is really interesting. What happened with Lane as President? Did a Civil War where the north secedes happen? When did slavery finally get abolished?

Edit: Also, what happened to Abraham Lincoln ITTL?
Thank you! I'm planning to cover his Presidency in the next post, but it's pretty obvious that nice things don't happen. Although the North gets very very angry with the federal government, they don't secede. Abraham Lincoln is still there, he is actually a Senator.

This is really good! Looking forward to seeing how the Civil War plays out.
Cool thanks! I'll do one post before I move onto the actual war.

Last edited:
I've also struck the Primary System and Factions post from canon. I want to rework the whole thing and split it into more detailed posts. That will be covered after the Civil War.

Just popping in to say, I love this whole timeline! Great job lol
Thank you very much! Its nice to hear from you again.
Judging from what I can read Abe Lincoln was elected to the House of Representatives and ended up Speaker of the House?
Close, but actually he was elected to the Senate and then became president pro tempore of the Senate. So when Lane is removed from office, Lincoln becomes President.

Thank you very much! Its nice to hear from you again.

Close, but actually he was elected to the Senate and then became president pro tempore of the Senate. So when Lane is removed from office, Lincoln becomes President.
Uh. In the presidential line of succession the speaker of the house becomes president. President pro tempore is after that.