A place in the Sun in 1919: Anthology of the Great War

1-A Tsesarevich should not go to a quadrilateral.
While the civil war in the United States and other problems in Europe developed Ivan wondered what he was doing. He took the Tsesarevich away quickly while he protested. That quadrilateral was not a place for someone who would inherit an empire sooner or later "Paskevich what the hell are you doing?!" Question Nicholas Alexandrovich.The son of Czar Alexander II was irritated with the only guard who dared to remove him from that place in Italy.

"Tsesarevich, excuse me" Ivan exclaimed quickly, swallowing "But you are a very important person, I understand that you love these ... "practices" further west of St. Petersburg, but this behavior would be scandalous and besides ... What Would it happen if something happened to you? Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Tsarevna would be very distressed about her loss".

Argument Ivan Paskevich believing that these could already be his last words in case of suffering the wrath of Tsesarevich. But he only found a sigh of sadness when the 21-year-old man nodded. "You're right"

"Excuse me...What?" Confused question the guard, to which the Tsesarevich was going to the exit.

"Come on Ivan, there's a lot to do yet" Nicholas said as he returned to where he was staying for his trip to Europe. Soon they would return to Russia.

Excerpt from "Russian Reform: Alexander II and Nicholas II" of Yury Ovechkin

At the beginning of the 19th century the Russian Empire was not a site that favored economic growth or the freedoms of the individual. The Crimean War had been long and costly, problems between different ethnic groups were normal, liberalism was rare and industry was little compared to the growing economies in Western Europe. The change begins in 1855.
Alexander II, although he made mistakes, made the beginning of the so-called "Russian Reform", we talked about the military reform, the new bureaucracy, the new judicial system, the creation of the zemstvo, the peace with the ottomans in the balkans, the industrial development of Finland and the emancipation of the servants, while on the other side we have errors in education, reliable judgments, suppression of nationalisms and the various attacks on his life, which ceased in 1881, with his death.
And so, the change continued, with the coronation of Nicholas the second after the time of mourning.

................................................................................................................
Honestly, this would be the first "alternate history" I do, it was originally going to be a true story but now I think it would be more of a "documentary" or anthology. With a POD in 1864-1865, I'm open to ideas and suggestions, some of the changes are already mentioned in the thread "We need help for an alternate history" while others probably change or do not happen (because I have no idea how alone Serbia and Greece could become independent from the Ottomans while Bulgaria does not).

Last edited:
2-I'm going fishing Czar.
The Romanov family had attended as quickly as possible to the last moments of Alexander II, just where he had signed decades ago the emancipation of the serfs. Now Nicholas II was in the same place, in a quiet environment with his brother Alexander, both were waiting for a word from the other, Alexander was very different from Nicholas and his father in regard to their ideas "We have to do something Nicholas, something with those damn terrorists ... " Alexander exclaimed annoyed.

"I know" Nicholas sighed seriously "And I know what to do, I'm going to continue the reform" Sentenced the new Tzar while his brother looked at him incredulously.

"You can not be talking seriously. You saw what they did to father!" Alexander exclaimed severely. Nicholas remained firm in his decision as he began to search the archives.

"But I am serious about Alexander" Sentenced the Czar "Father was on the right track, we can stop these terrorists but we must do it over time, preventing them from believing more in our own territory, we must improve, we must change Russia, the army, the economy, industry, Finland is the example of what we can do with Poland, Lithuania and all the nations of the empire "Explain Nicholas with emotion.

"... I'm going fishing, Czar, you and your change for Russia can wait" Sentenced Alexander leaving the building, his brother remained firm in his word.

Excerpt from "Russian Reform: Alexander II and Nicholas II" of Yury Ovechkin.

Where Alexander II had problems Nicholas II tried to fix them, and where his predecessor had successes, Nicholas wanted to overcome them.

3-Deutscher Bund
Excerpt from "Study of the German Nations" by Gunter Wasserman.

Prussia and later the North German Confederation under the leadership of chancellor Otto von Bismarck had a dominant hegemony over most of the German states, indisputable after the victory over Austria in 1866, but when the Franco-Prussian War came in 1870 we see the beginning of this state as a political rival for France and the United Kingdom.
A series of diplomatic problems led to the declaration of war, the North German Confederation sought support in other German states while some French diplomats sought Austrian support. And they found support, while the rapid German victories disfavored any movement against him there were two states that resisted the Prussian influence. The Kingdom of Bavaria and the Grand Duchy of Baden, a spearhead "neutral" but almost in favor of France and Austria pointing against Prussia.

That was a threat that Bismarck could not ignore, although he had a quick mobilization and an efficient army in every way. Crushing other German states would mean the loss of part of their nationalist support. This in turn would encourage separatism and destabilize Prussia.
France had stopped claiming the Palatinate and Austrian exports to Bavaria had increased exponentially. Baden resigned his alliance with Prussia for the Franco-Austrian intervention on the other hand, leading the state of Baden to effective "neutrality".

The Prussian victory, although overwhelming, only allowed the annexation of the Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt and the Kingdom of Württemberg together with the region of Alsace-Lorraine. The more nationalists wanted action against Bavaria and Baden, but german unification nationalism in the two states lost strength. At the time in the prussian intellectual circles the action of Austria was suspected but there was no movement in favor of the annexation by these to Baden and Bavaria.

In 1871 then the German Confederation or Deutscher Bund was formed, the head of state would be the King of Prussia, Wilhelm I. But Bavaria and Baden were a stone in the heel, quickly the two states declared their neutrality and sought the support of other states , France, Austria and the biggest surprise, United Kingdom, accepted this statement, Russia and the United States stayed away as other countries.

This decision of the English government marked the path of Anglo-German relations, the German nationalists and liberals looked askance at the British decision to support the two independent states. France and Austria were not a surprise on the other hand, in the first state began the rise of revenge against the German Confederation and Austria looked with suspicion on the rise of the old Prussia.

In the German Confederation also marked the beginning of more military and industrial reforms, supported by the monarch and the reichstag along with many parts of german society. This also included a fleet that could at any time rival the Royal Navy of Great Britain. The German Confederation did this in the effort not to be marked by the wishes of other powers as happened with the British Empire, so also the future German colonization efforts in Africa, India and other parts of Asia were born.

While the civil war in the United States and other problems in Europe developed Ivan wondered what he was doing. He took the Tsesarevich away quickly while he protested. That quadrilateral was not a place for someone who would inherit an empire sooner or later "Paskevich what the hell are you doing?!" Question Nicholas Alexandrovich.The son of Czar Alexander II was irritated with the only guard who dared to remove him from that place in Italy.

"Tsesarevich, excuse me" Ivan exclaimed quickly, swallowing "But you are a very important person, I understand that you love these ... "practices" further west of St. Petersburg, but this behavior would be scandalous and besides ... What Would it happen if something happened to you? Princess Dagmar of Denmark and Tsarevna would be very distressed about her loss".

Argument Ivan Paskevich believing that these could already be his last words in case of suffering the wrath of Tsesarevich. But he only found a sigh of sadness when the 21-year-old man nodded. "You're right"

"Excuse me...What?" Confused question the guard, to which the Tsesarevich was going to the exit.

"Come on Ivan, there's a lot to do yet" Nicholas said as he returned to where he was staying for his trip to Europe. Soon they would return to Russia.

At the beginning of the 19th century the Russian Empire was not a site that favored economic growth or the freedoms of the individual. The Crimean War had been long and costly, problems between different ethnic groups were normal, liberalism was rare and industry was little compared to the growing economies in Western Europe. The change begins in 1855.
Alexander II, although he made mistakes, made the beginning of the so-called "Russian Reform", we talked about the military reform, the new bureaucracy, the new judicial system, the creation of the zemstvo, the liberation of Bulgaria, the industrial development of Finland and the emancipation of the servants, while on the other side we have errors in education, reliable judgments, suppression of nationalisms and the various attacks on his life, which ceased in 1881, with his death.
And so, the change continued, with the coronation of Nicholas the second after the time of mourning.

................................................................................................................
Honestly, this would be the first "alternate history" I do, it was originally going to be a true story but now I think it would be more of a "documentary" or anthology. With a POD in 1864-1865, I'm open to ideas and suggestions, some of the changes are already mentioned in the thread "We need help for an alternate history" while others probably change or do not happen (because I have no idea how alone Serbia and Greece could become independent from the Ottomans while Bulgaria does not).

Greece was independent since 1832 and Serbia was all but in name independent since 1830. If Russia lost the the war in 1878 Serbia would gain independence to save the Russian face. So Bulgaria would remain more or less Turkish.

Last edited:
Greece was independent sincd 1832 and Serbia was a but in name independent. If Russia lost the the war in 1878 Serbia would gain independence to save the Russian face. So Bulgaria would remain more or less Turkish.
How would Russia lose the war of 1878?

4-Russian workers

One of the first actions of Nicholas II was the reform of education and russian laws, the Russian Empire had one of the largest populations and abundance in raw materials but its literacy and labor was small and poor by comparison. The objective of the reform was to generate a qualified population for work and also attract investors to exploit Russian resources.

For this admission and free education became more accessible for the poorer classes, at that time most were peasants present in the European part of Russia, part of the education effort was produced by the Cossacks, who together with the Polish they had one of the highest literacy rates but ignored the problems of religion and uprising of the Polish.

Speaking on economic issues Nicholas II sought German, French and American investment, emulating US economic policies on early industrial growth.

The Germans were attracted to the agricultural and mining production present in Ukraine, Belarus and other areas west of the Urals, while the French and Americans were in search of raw materials, apart from cash payments the Tsar resorted to the exchange of technology that began to flow towards St. Petersburg and later to areas such as Moscow, Novgorod, Kiev, Odessa, Tula and Tsaritsyn.In a few years the number of classified workers began to increase, leading to migration to the larger cities and even east of the Urals for the opportunities of the Franco-American industry. In turn, the immigration of Russian workers to Europe and the United States increased.

The Russian Empire ceased to depend on the fur trade and its main industry became the extraction of materials and agricultural production, this meant that Nicholas and his cabinet had to make ways to avoid the usual famines in Russia, which would damage the economy to occur usually.

Nicholas had called Alexander to his office to speak, after the formal presentation the younger brother waited silently "Alexander, and decided that if I want to improve Russia, I must also improve his army"At these words Alexander kept his emotion but nodded satisfactorily "As well I'm calling the German ambassador ... Otto von Bismarck will come in person to study my application for Prussian professionals" The tsar said seriously.

Alexander was surprised " So ... you called me just for the news?"

"No" Nicholas affirms "You live the military life, I want you to learn also to teach the rest of the army, the German school teaches critical thinking and you discipline, we must put aside the corruption and the benefit that the nobility in the army, if we depend only on the numbers, we will be crushed by other powers. Also Milyutin and Vannovsky are going to make sure to continue the reforms and training."

"... I will do it, brother"Accept Alexander.

Last edited:
How would Russia lose the war of 1878?

If they fail to beat the Ottoman Forces in Bulgaria. They were close losing support for the war. Had the Ottoman commanders been more united it could help to keep the Russians on the shores of the Danube. The assassination of Hüseyin Avni Paşa just before the war was really unlucky. He alone could help a unity in command and beat the Russians back. Putting the forces of Mehmed Ali Pasha and Suleiman Pasha together to relief Plevna is one thing. It can go both ways but there is more success in that than letting Plevna wait out.

Something better is if the Ottomans take Galati, to cut the railroad supplies to Wallachia for the Russian Armies, in Romania and let the Russians try to (unsuccessfully) surround it. Which is problematic for the Russians as the Ottoman Navy by then is stronger and Galati cannot be surrounded entirely as the Danube prevents it. It means that Russia has to storm Galati to secure rail transport. Some downside of this for the Ottomans is Public Opinion even more pro-Russian and Romanian (though this can change as it did OTL) and Romanians forced to enter the war. Again, storming Galati can have huge casualties on the attackers. If the casualties are high and there is low to zero success then war cannot last longer then a few months.

An Ottoman win is not losing what they already lost (Serbia, Montenegro, Romania) to keep Russia pleased and small border adjustments. This is the best deal they get with regards to territorial integrity.

5- Russia and Prussia rhyme, but not Russia and German Confederation
Nicholas waited patiently at the Winter Palace, it cost him a little to fix the schedule, he had to remember to change the calendar of Russia to the rest of Europe. Finally the chancellor arrived, Bismarck looked happy to see St. Petersburg when the doors opened to meet the Russian Czar, after the diplomatic code he finally could speak quietly "Nicholas has been a while since I was ambassador, it is a joy to return to to see you" Greeting Bismarck.

"Me too, Bismarck. How are your children?" Greet Nicholas.

"They are one of my great joys, but I know we are not here to talk about my family. You want to improve your army and I understand that well, but it has a cost ..." Sentenced the chancellor, to which the Tsar nodded beginning to walk towards the most open grounds of the palace where his brother waited, some Russian officers and new recruits "I have some conditions, and I will clearly direct them as I did with other leaders before, you can not ally yourself with France, Austria or the United Kingdom against the German Confederation if we ever trained the largest army in Europe, in fact it would be more fruitful for both an alliance"

"... I want to modernize like Peter the Great before me, but my intention is not to get into Europe, I want to focus on Russia, I do not seek war with the German Confederation, nor do I seek an alliance with France or United Kingdom, but I do not want an alliance with the German Confederation, and I do not seek a war with France and the United Kingdom " Nicholas explain "But I can offer several things in exchange for aid, increase trade, a non-aggression treaty, stay away from an alliance with France or the United Kingdom and I can guarantee peace in the Balkans on the russian side, like my father at the conference in Constantinople. Austria-Hungary and the ottomans can bleed there"

"... Interesting, but you have no way of guaranteeing that these promises will last" exclaims Bismarck thoughtfully.

"Not in an autocracy, but I can change the autocracy, Russia is not ready yet, but eventually there will be a" Duma "and an imperial council, a parliament so that Russian policy no longer depends on a Tsar" Nicholas sentence when they reach where the recruits, Bismarck is still doubtful when he gets to observe.

Everyone waits patiently and in order, Alexander did a good job "Where are the recruits from?" The chancellor questions.

"From different parts of Russia, some very special, like Pokrovsk" Responds the Tsar.

Germans in Russia: Volga Germans, Baltic Germans and Bismarck

The Germans came to Russia in different ways, in the Volga they were encouraged by the zarina Catherine II the Great to colonize and in the case of the Baltic they were before the Russian administration of the region. These by the time in the Russian Empire enjoyed religious, cultural, administrative and idiomatic autonomy. Military records indicate that for the first audience with Bismarck of Emperor Nicholas II half of the recruits were ethnic germans, brought from the Baltic and Pokrovsk, the same house Romanov had a lot of German blood so it would not be bad to count Nicholas II and his Brother Alexander on the list of germans present.

It is not the first time that Russian military of non-Slavic ethnic groups are used diplomatically. Peoples of Muslim beliefs like the Tartars were used against the peoples of the Caucasus to give an example, in this case Nicholas appealed to Bismarck's nationalism, and hoped to do the same with other German officers.
This made that along with the Cossacks and the Russians, the Germans of Russia were among the first individuals to be trained following the modern model of Prussian war.
-

After certain preparations, including the statement of the German head of state, the Emperor Wilhelm I, that day signed the Treaty of Friendship between the Russian Empire and the German Confederation. Now Nicholas sat at his desk patiently working to produce more railroads and telegraphs with the intention of improving communication and commerce. In that the door is touched.

"Pass" Nicholas sentence without taking your eyes off the work.

The door opens showing Alexander with a man next to him, in an elegant suit and a beard that seemed to replace the hair that was missing in the head."Emperor Nicholas" The man salutes with reverence to Nicholas, who leaves the job to respond politely.

"Brother, this is Nikolay Girs ... He seems ... aligned with some of your policies" Sentence Alexander who although he does not like much Bismarck or the German Confederation accepted the non-aggression treaty without inconveniences.

"I see, in that case let's talk a little Nikolay, I think I've read your name at some time your name in my files" Nicholas remembers looking at his cabinet.

"Maybe ... you see, I've been working in the foreign policy of the empire for more than 20 years, I've been in Persia, Switzerland and Sweden, and I firmly believe that peace is the way to maintain our way of life. I can suggest some ideas on our way for peace with the European powers" Explains Girs "And while we do that we can focus on trade and the expansion of our influence in Asia and our growing relationship with the United States, let me explain to you" Nicholas paid attention with some interest as he watched his new foreign minister.

With the increasing investments in the Russian economy the capacity of transport and communication began to be overloaded, this meant an increase in the infra-structure of railways and telegraphs of the Empire to supply the demand, not only the work of the state investment but of new private companies
The needs of the russian lands made the railway lines wider than the European average. This increased the demand for coal but proved to be necessary and an advantage in certain strategic aspects in the future.

In the following decades the demographic and economic flow would also go towards Central Asia and North Asia, with small scales in the Russian Far East, precisely where the most aggressive Russian policy of Nicholas II and his cabinet began to be exercised.

-

Wilhelm I saw Bismarck again, notoriously serious "Then I understand that now you want to further increase military and industrial reforms ... Why? The Tsar promised not to get involved against us or for us, it is a victory for the German Confederation" The German Emperor was surprised.

"It is almost a victory, we lost a possible ally, the good thing is that we do not win an enemy. The problem is how long the non-aggression treaty will last, Nicholas II promised to return to Russia much less autocratic, that can mean that at any moment a pro-french, pro-english or anti-german cabinet takes power from Russia, I signed the treaty with the intention of observing the development of the russian situation, and in any case avoiding a possible action against us and at the same time favoring the russian vision of us" Chancellor's sentence "But in the first case, we must increase our power of military action, we would not survive a two-front war with our agricultural and industrial production, for now Russia is an important peaceful partner that can offer us a lot of resources, tomorrow I will offer the new laws to the Reichstag" Explains the chancellor as he left, on the other hand the emperor nodded.

Last edited:
If they fail to beat the Ottoman Forces in Bulgaria. They were close losing support for the war. Had the Ottoman commanders been more united it could help to keep the Russians on the shores of the Danube. The assassination of Hüseyin Avni Paşa just before the war was really unlucky. He alone could help a unity in command and beat the Russians back. Putting the forces of Mehmed Ali Pasha and Suleiman Pasha together to relief Plevna is one thing. It can go both ways but there is more success in that than letting Plevna wait out.

Something better is if the Ottomans take Galati, to cut the railroad supplies to Wallachia for the Russian Armies, in Romania and let the Russians try to (unsuccessfully) surround it. Which is problematic for the Russians as the Ottoman Navy by then is stronger and Galati cannot be surrounded entirely as the Danube prevents it. It means that Russia has to storm Galati to secure rail transport. Some downside of this for the Ottomans is Public Opinion even more pro-Russian and Romanian (though this can change as it did OTL) and Romanians forced to enter the war. Again, storming Galati can have huge casualties on the attackers. If the casualties are high and there is low to zero success then war cannot last longer then a few months.

An Ottoman win is not losing what they already lost (Serbia, Montenegro, Romania) to keep Russia pleased and small border adjustments. This is the best deal they get with regards to territorial integrity.

The solution is very good, but I've been thinking of another that could equally satisfy the fact that Bulgaria is not completely independent. Bulgaria suffers a series of problems that make it weak for ottoman action (which receives help from other countries to maintain its hegemony in the Balkans), this on the one hand guarantees an "independent" Serbia and an independent Greece, and in turn returns to the Balkans an even bigger time bomb, which is what I want :)

With the increasing investments in the Russian economy the capacity of transport and communication began to be overloaded, this meant an increase in the infra-structure of railways and telegraphs of the Empire to supply the demand, not only the work of the state investment but of new private companies
Originally the lines for the railways were going to be larger than the European average but this was removed to facilitate costs and avoid problems with the companies.

That does not make sense , a change of rail gauge does not change the cost of building a railway ( loading gauge has more effect ) and as Russian trains need to be different to Western European ones anyway ( too much empty space so they need more water/coal capacity ) , does not matter to the engine. Having a larger gauge actually helps in Russia, the trains can carry more which helps compensate for the longer distances the goods have to travel in terms of final consumer cost of goods.

A change of gauge also has a military benefit. It acts as a brake on both attack and defense ( rail heads cannot move without regauging ) so protecting from attack and defusing tension by reducing threat. On commerce its a bit of a pain but does help with customs and protecting employment ( Russia is playing catch up so needs to stop imports crowding out native industries that are just starting to bloom ).

The solution is very good, but I've been thinking of another that could equally satisfy the fact that Bulgaria is not completely independent. Bulgaria suffers a series of problems that make it weak for ottoman action (which receives help from other countries to maintain its hegemony in the Balkans), this on the one hand guarantees an "independent" Serbia and an independent Greece, and in turn returns to the Balkans an even bigger time bomb, which is what I want :)

Constantinople Conference of 1876 gets accepted by Abdulhamid II and Grand Vizier Mithat Pasha which results in two autonomous Bulgarian Vilayets. This was seen as problematic as it would own Serb and Greek desired lands. It is pretty much as much as a gundpowder as it could get. Especially if both Bulgarian Vilayets get united.

That does not make sense , a change of rail gauge does not change the cost of building a railway ( loading gauge has more effect ) and as Russian trains need to be different to Western European ones anyway ( too much empty space so they need more water/coal capacity ) , does not matter to the engine. Having a larger gauge actually helps in Russia, the trains can carry more which helps compensate for the longer distances the goods have to travel in terms of final consumer cost of goods.
A change of gauge also has a military benefit. It acts as a brake on both attack and defense ( rail heads cannot move without regauging ) so protecting from attack and defusing tension by reducing threat. On commerce its a bit of a pain but does help with customs and protecting employment ( Russia is playing catch up so needs to stop imports crowding out native industries that are just starting to bloom ).

Thank you very much (I knew the military use of wider rail lines but not the other facts). It is already edited.

Last edited:
Constantinople Conference of 1876 gets accepted by Abdulhamid II and Grand Vizier Mithat Pasha which results in two autonomous Bulgarian Vilayets. This was seen as problematic as it would own Serb and Greek desired lands. It is pretty much as much as a gundpowder as it could get. Especially if both Bulgarian Vilayets get united.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
6-A Sun under an eagle
(Warning: I consider this part ... bad, in general everything that I write seems wrong to me, but the point is that what I write next seems less plausible than previous things, actually I write this with more intention to build a world and have fun, not making a plausible / realistic world, I'm sorry)

Although the economic and industrial expansion of the Russian Far East was slower than that of Siberia, a port had quickly formed to facilitate trade with the United States through the Pacific, the only problem was essentially the freezing of the waters.
The city in question was built in what was called the "Russian Manchuria" obtained by the Russian Empire in unequal treaties with China such as the Treaty of Aigun and later the Treaty of Peking, the city was Vladivostok.

Then the city increased considerably its financing and its demography, although it was rather a port for the commerce and replenishment of supplies, already there were some rail lines that connected it with different cities in Siberia. The Russian Pacific fleet also increased in size for the protection of the same, some American ships ended up being bought also to analyze possible ways to improve the russian navy, although it seemed a hurried movement since the remodeling of the army was only a few months old.

Nicholas II was not keen on military affairs, one of the reasons why army training was ceded to the german military, russian experts and his own brother. With the navy passed a similar situation where builders and sailors of various origins were hired to support the Russian fleet, Americans, English and Dutch mainly, by 1883 had made great progress for what would come later. However, we must not underestimate the russian effort that I use to veterans and engineers of the Crimean War such as some members of the Kolchak family.

-

Excerpt from "Asia and Europe: Colonialism, Imperialism and Struggle" by Jin Yongliang.

Chapter: Russia and Japan

The first treaty between the Russian Empire and the Empire of Japan, the Treaty of Shimoda, signed after the respective treaties with the United States and the United Kingdom meant an increase in trade between the two states, Russia having slightly better benefits than other countries (some they associate it with the diplomatic performance of the admiral Yevfimiy Putiatin).

But what is important is the development of future events, while the Meiji restoration took place, whose intention was the industrialization of Japan that was leaving the ancient ways suffered a great disaster with the Satsuma rebellion (the integration of the samurai in the imperial government turned out worse than expected), this had been a hard blow from one of the actors key in modernization. Apart from this, the costs were rising more and more.

After the pyrrhic victory of the rebels in Tabaruzaka, the war became more similar to a guerrilla war that spread through southern Japan. This led to the attempts of intervention of different powers, but while the United Kingdom had to look at India, the Netherlands in Oceania and the United States found problems for the course of action, Russia took the lead.
In Shimoda the Russian consul offered an opportunity of economic and military cooperation with the empire after communicating the facts with the Tzar through the telegraphs on their trip to Nagasaki (connected to Vladivostok). After the deliberation the proposal was accepted by the Emperor of Japan, the Treaty of Vladivostok was signed in the year 1883, which supposed the russian intervention in the Satsuma rebellion.

Although the real action would not begin until 1884 for the series of necessary preparations. The first to arrive were a large amount of supplies and materials, from gold to food and weapons directly from Tula (from times of Peter the Great "the arms capital" of Russia), in order to replenish the armies and the government Japanese imperial, also the Russian navy began to inspect the coasts to the south of Japan, in the worst case with the Japanese confirmation was resorted to the bombing of coastal villages.

The guerrilla war became more daring on the side of the rebels, angry at the sudden foreign intervention seen as a disgrace to the country's honor. This allowed the imperial forces to recompose and retake the areas lost in the fighting and considerably reduced the support of the rebels when more Russian factories and resources came to the archipelago, finally after a few months the Russian troops came as a strategic support to the imperial forces, from infantry, artillery and even cavalry. The Satsuma rebellion would end surrounded by the end of 1884 and beginning of 1885, outnumbered, it was the last bastion of the samurai before his death.

Due to the previous events, a large part of the Japanese stability fell into the hands of the Russian Empire, the early industry had suffered major setbacks, so the Russian export was necessary mainly for primary materials and weapons (along with investment), part of the Russian soldiers had settled to help the appeasement after the rebellion jointly with the Japanese forces, the Japanese navy was inferior to the Russian navy present at that time and the Treaty of Vladivostok imposed the debts of the Russian aid. Leaving the empire of the rising sun tied hands. The trade to Russia then expanded, a monopoly that was also opened to the United States by the action of Tsar Nicholas II in order to appease the American state, similar measures were made with the Netherlands but to a lesser extent.
The United Kingdom on the other hand had to take care of the jewel in the crown.

In an image depicting a political cartoon drawn between the years 1885-1886, a Cossack representing Russia serves a cake with the letters "Japan" gives a share to the United States and a smaller one to the Netherlands, while the United Kingdom and the German Confederation fight over a piece of meat*

--------------------------------
Pd: Thanks for the help with the Balkans, I am waiting for the moment to finally do a part with them but I am not sure when I will write it. The one that follows should be either the United States or the German Confederation.

Last edited:
7-German Colonial Empire

Chapter: German colonies.

Although the state of Venezuela (Klein-Venedig) was an attempt of colony for the germans when the emperor Charles V of the Holy Roman Empire gave it to the family Welser is considered that the German Colonial Empire (without counting previous colonization attempts) initiates after the unification and formation of the German Confederation. With this we speak of the conquests and annexations in Africa, Asia and Oceania, although many members of the government, including Bismarck himself, did not have a favorable vision of obtaining colonies. This had three main objectives, the protection of raw materials and routes of trade, competition with other European colonial powers and to please the wishes of a large part of the German population that viewed colonialism favorably.

This would lead to an early obtaining (between 1882-1883) of the German West Africa, the German New Guinea and the German South West Africa. This was favored by different german merchant companies and the great expansion of the german navy since the beginning of the German Confederation. Territories that would expand like other new colonies in later years, such as the German East Africa or the German Siam and the expeditions to India.

-

Excerpt from "Asia and Europe: Colonialism, Imperialism and Struggle" by Jin Yongliang.

Chapter: German Confederation and Rattanakosin kingdom (Siam)

The kingdom Rattanakosin had undergone a great renovation since King Rama V the great had inherited the throne, this led to an update of the kingdom but could not recover the territories that had been lost from 1862 onwards at the hands of France and the British Empire. This could not continue like this, or soon the kingdom could cease to exist, a usual concern in the political life of the Rattanakosin kingdom.
This led to the increase of economic ties with the German Confederation when the German New Guinea Company was established, together with a political rapprochement. This approach would of course be extremely slow, for the intention of not seeking a war against the British Empire and France in a territory without a solid naval, military and economic base.

In its beginnings the German Confederation-Rattanakosin Kingdom relations began with the arrival of Thai nobles to Europe, together with scholars from both states in a beneficial cultural exchange for the Rattanakosin kingdom. This led to an early generation not only Western, but quite pro-german. Along with this the german experts in mail and rail were en masse to the state for job opportunities. This in turn meant the flow of german products to South Asia.

These mainly went not only to Siam but to Goa, the portuguese possession in India. There the german merchants would found a prosperous commerce with the local populations that would later take to the indian uprisings between 1884 and later years, that could obtain arms and military supplies by means of the commerce of raw materials with the germans.

Goa and other small portuguese possessions in India, would later be bought by the German Confederation in years to come.
----------------

Well, a small update.
Studies take away a little time from fatigue, I'm sorry.

Last edited:
8- Expansion everywhere (well, not really)
Excerpt from "American Changes in the Twentieth Century"

By the mid-nineteen eighties in the nineteenth century trade in the Pacific was from East Asia to America, North Asia, Oceania and Eastern Europe, mainly due to the increase in American-Russian cooperation and the great influence of these in the market, together with the increase in demand from Germany and the British Empire. This led to an increase in US production on the east coast and Alaska, where gold and oil had been discovered along with Yukon. This increased the migration of both american and russian workers, the same effect happened in Siberia and other similar russian territories (but here we talk about american investors, not labor), which led to the increase of the mining and oil industry to a large extent scale in its early years.

While the United States benefited enormously from its situation, on the other hand the British Empire suffered the costs of higher expenses to keep the Indian revolts under control and at the same time compete with the Germans.

Chapter: Yukon and British Columbia.

Canada is one of the largest territories in the British colonial world, but one that is scarcely populated and unprofitable for agriculture if we situate ourselves in the 19th century, while on the other hand the immigrant population increasingly went to Alaska, this led to a series of skirmishes with the few natives who had not accepted the old russian domain.

But the important thing is the purchase of the territories of Yukon and British Columbia, sought mainly by American workers and producers of gold and oil.

The purchase of Alaska had already been a controversial move for the US government, had many sympathizers or some neutral individuals but there will always be detractors. But the purchase of Columbia and Yukon had a much smaller number of opponents, to be seen not only as a maneuver to increase the production of materials but to have an adjoining access to Alaska (one of the problems at the time of purchase).
The first attempts were unsuccessful in the first months of 1884, but by 1885 and 1886 the British were much more willing to negotiate. In India a great variety of independence groups had resumed their actions and some had openly declared a revolt. So the British Empire called for a large trade in weapons and materials to help the effort against it. The United States was willing to help, in exchange for a price.

-

October 1883, Portuguese possessions in India.

Jonas von Weber still was not quite accustomed to the climate of the Indian subcontinent, quite different from his native East Prussia, but the sales with Portuguese and natives were very beneficial for him and his companions.

On the night he and some of the other officials of the German New Guinea Company met in a rather old house, the sets were quite exotic and there were very fine materials in it. But the important thing was the conglomeration of indian men around him.

"Welcome, please, take a seat" Greet the oldest of men "My name is Saral Kar, I come to negotiate between your company and my colleagues"

The germans take a seat, with Weber at the head of them "... The company is more than willing to sell what they want, the first deliveries should arrive in November or December but there is something that worries us ... Payment"

"Of course" Accepts Kar "We can offer many methods of payment, we can rob the british or sell some of the riches of our land" Then the old man with a wave of his hand has servants bring a chest, which when opened reveals from fabrics and spices to gold and jewelry. Weber smiles when the german arms contract is signed.
-

Nicholas II was visiting the Nerchinsk Katorga, was amazed by the production of ferrous minerals in the area but the conditions of the workers disappointed him, mainly because of the officers, even Alexander seemed a shame.

"Do you remind me who was working here?" The Tzar asks, and one of the officers answers.

"Poles, Narodniks, Social Democrats ... and others" Responds doubtful "Before there were some Decembrists, they still live nearby but they are no longer prisoners"

Nicholas nodded intently, watched the prisoners working and called the officers "I need you to bring the Decembrists"
-

Chapter: The Siberian Decembrists and the Katorga

Alexander II had expiated the crimes of the Decembrists, most had returned from the Katorga to Europe, but some, the oldest and without a reason to return had stayed in Siberia. Nicholas II personally chatted with several of them, the ideas of the Decembrists had become more moderate with respect to the other revolutionary socialist and nationalist groups in Russia. They formed a cultural and social elite in the villages of Siberia where they were, where a large number of workers from different countries had recently arrived.

Nicholas put them in charge of many of the Zemstvos in Siberia and as officers in the Katorga, which would soon begin to become rehabilitation centers rather than forced labor camps due to the now skilled large workforce arriving in Russia, so that the main reason for the Katorga was running out.

The influence of the Decembrists continues to be seen in the political groups of Siberia of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century.

-

Excerpt from "Slavs: World History" by Ludmila Romanchuk.

Chapter: Polish Question in Russia.

Russia was the European country with one of the largest polish populations, they were also some of the most literate citizens of the Russian Empire. In the eighties of the nineteenth century the polish regions of Russia were under military jurisdiction for the uprisings of a few decades ago (a situation shared by Lithuania), without enjoying the rights and privileges of the other populations of the Empire during the reign of Alexander II and the first years of Nicholas II.

This began to change when Nicholas II again allowed education in polish. Officially the military jurisdiction was still standing but the land taxes of the peasants were canceled, again the polish was allowed in public and once again the poles obtained a representation in the government.
But this was not a total liberation, the most nationalist elements were still standing.

The poles in the russian administration remained in the legislative branch and only in a certain part of the executive power, the russian classes were obligatory and the government papers had to be not only in polish but also in russian.

This also involved the creation of the "Okrhana of Poland" whose main task was to watch the polish zemstvos and the polish officers. Poland and Lithuania quickly obtained the economic advantages of the rest of Russia, it was proposed in turn that Poland would obtain a currency of its own like Finland but that would not come until a few decades later.

The poles most benefited were the richest, the workers and the most willing to work in collaboration with the russian administration. This leads to the modernization of the russian education system based on polish and cossack systems. While nationalism was still a problem, the task was to gradually appease the poles to get a generation much more willing to have autonomy and collaborate than to continue with the uprisings and repression.

----
Probably the next update is about India, China and Central Asia.

Last edited:
I remember an alternate history where Russia and Germany solve their problem with the poles by sending them to Africa (and they did something similar to apartheid). It's not like I'm going to do something similar but it seems a bit curious.

9-The British Empire against Za Warudo ... ok no. (I know it's a terrible name BUT IT STAYS)
Weber played with the ring between his fingers while supervising to deliver supplies and weapons to the Indians. Beside him was Kar, as always paying attention to the payments "Kar, there is something that worries me" insists the german.

"The payments are in order" exclaims the old confused.

"Of course I know, I'm happy with that, what worries me is the continuity of this business, their struggle will not survive an open battle against the British" Weber Sentence with concern.

"... Are you proposing any suggestions, Mr. Weber?" Kar inquired with his ears open.

"My grandfather and my great uncle served in the Napoleonic wars, they were briefly in the Grande Armée during the campaign of 1812 ... they went to Moscow, only to be defeated by the russians, in fact my great uncle died in that campaign. Why? The winter and the peasants killed them with hunger, the cossacks attacked them from behind and disappeared like monsters, while for Napoleon it was all about conquest, about their new european order, for Russia it was survival, they burned what had been its capital ... Kills the British from hunger, burns their supplies, their lines of communication, ruins the economy of their colony and waits for them to surrender because of fatigue "Explains Weber recalling the stories of his grandfather, Kar nods intently.

"... We tell our leaders" He smiled almost imperceptibly.
-

Chapter: India, the treasure that any crown craves.

Some economic studies indicate that under the British rule the impact of India on world trade and urbanization diminished, but even so India was "the jewel in the British crown" in which much money had been invested in agriculture, irrigation and railways.

Much of this investment was destroyed in the Indian Revolt of 1884-1892, which deteriorated into a famine of decades in the fight against the british, as well as part of the navy stationed in the indian subcontinent. The lack of agricultural raw materials in addition to hunger led to damage to british imports in its largest colony in Asia.

Some sections of the indian population and the regional nobility were integrated into the english administration, terrorist attacks in the indian revolt led to widespread chaos and mistrust between both sides of the population, both ethnic and religious differences. The most collaborative of the government were pardoned and benefited, but there were several punishments for those found for treason or collaboration with the rebels.

British domestic policy then focused on the control of the colonies they had, the fight against terrorism and revolution, and the cegregation or integration of different groups depending on their actions with respect to the british government. This would mark the rampant colonialism patterns in the following decades in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

-

Chapter: Russia and Korea.

Japan having become a Russian client state had lost much of its growing influence in Korea, leaving a power vacuum taken by Qing once again. In 1884 between the disputes of France and Qing, the Gaehwadang or Enlightenment Party, could have made a government coup against the growing power of the Min family.

However the Gaehwadang could not get japanese support, ending this in a futile effort. The young korean reformers then went to the Russian Empire, with whom they initiated diplomatic relations that year, Nicholas II was quite aligned with the ideals of the party. What led to an increase in russian aid to these, both military and economic that would take Korea to the area of russian influence after the fall of Qing in later years.

-

Chapter: Russia and Central Asia.

The conquest of Central Asia by the Russian Empire began in the mid-nineteenth century, and continued under the rule of Nicholas II with the intention of protecting russian economic interests in the area and testing the new russian armies.

First the Kazakh steppe had been conquered, in the 60s Kokand and Bukhara had been subdued, Khiva was conquered in the 70s and the Turkmen tribes and Kyrgyz were conquered under the reign of Nicholas in the 80s.

The British Empire on the other hand had helped China to avoid some expansion to the east, but while it was now occupied with the Indian revolt, Nicholas II made a maneuver against Afghanistan in the Panjdeh fortress, annexing it to the Russian conquest of Central Asia . Quickly Nicholas II and his minister of external relations, Nikolay Girs began talks with the British Empire to favor their interests and support the British against the Indian revolt as an exchange.

Pandejh was ceded to the russians, although a buffer zone was established in Afghanistan between India and Russia. In return the Russian Turkestan trade to the United Kingdom flourished while the problems in India were solved.

Nicholas II, besides promoting the migration of its citizens to Central Asia, carried out a process of integration with the muslim and turkish elites of his country, together with a process of mass irrigation.

------------------------------

Someday I'll do something about the Balkans ... someday.
:D