Foreign relations of surviving Taliban Afghanistan

Say bin laden remains in Sudan or is turned over by the Taliban or 9/11 doesn't happen or whatever

How would relations with the neighboring countries evolve over the years

How much formal diplomatic recognition could they get by the present day

What would relations be with the ever growing China

Last edited:
Say bin laden remains in Sudan or is turned over by the Taliban or 9/11 doesn't happen or whatever

How would relations with the neighboring countries evolve over the years

How much formal diplomatic recognition could they get by the present day

What would relations be like with the ever growing China
Afghanistan? Where is that.. That would be the response from America..
I would also say as much formal diplomatic stuff as with Uzbekistan that also most Americans would say.. Huh?

Outside of the USA.. Its just another place that Noone goes that governments talk to.

China?! Compared to Afghanistan.. .. That makes no sense.. China is diplomatically open and engaged.. You need to compare to other places that Noone on earth cares about.. Like dagastan or just places that never enter the minds of people

Last edited:
I would also say as much formal diplomatic stuff as with Uzbekistan that also most Americans would say.. Huh?
Since the Taliban government was only recognized by three governments was wondering how much that number would increase over time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Emirate_of_Afghanistan#International_relations
China?! Compared to Afghanistan.. .. That makes no sense.. China is diplomatically open and engaged.. You need to compare to other places that Noone on earth cares about.. Like dagastan or just places that never enter the minds of people
I wasn't comparing the two but asking what the relationship would be like between the China and Taliban ruled Afghanistan

Literally three countries every recognised the Taliban government in Afghanistan. And they eventually had crap relations with two of them, apparently a little matter of assaulting Saudi Arabian and United Arab Emirates dignitaries and visitors.

Relations with Iran were poor, as a result of murdering a whole pile of Iranian diplomats in a basement one night.

The Taliban were invited to visit the United States and were on some kind of verge of diplomatic relations. This was largely American business and geopolitical strategizing. Afghanistan had mineral resources American companies wanted, heroin which the US government wanted to suppress, and was a route for a pipeline. So it's possible that if there was a large scale commercial operation through Afghanistan, say a pipeline, then there would be some formal relationship with the US.

Apart from that, the Taliban's only recognition came from their benefactor and supporter, Pakistan. Pakistan was nominally an American Ally, mainly because India wasn't.

It's likely that Taliban foreign policy would be primitive and sloppy, but most likely it would be pro-Pakistan, anti-Iranian, anti-Russian (vehemently), possibly pro-Chinese, likely pro-American, Anti-Israel, nominally pro-Arab, and militantly crazy Islamic.

I don't think you'd see a lot of diplomatic relationships though.

I mean, these where the folks even the Saudis and Iranians eventually wanted nothing to do with.

If they never bring about their downfall by sheltering Al Quida and Bin Laden, they continue to act as an Islamic North Korea - a deeply impoverished crackpot dictatorship with only one connection to the outside world (Pakistan in their case) and only earning attention when they do something REALLY stupid, like destroying historic sites.

Maybe the Northern Alliance is able to eventually overthrow the Taliban, but otherwise, Afghanistan is just another godforsaken country on the map nobody wants anything to do with.

If the scenario is Bin Laden stays in Sudan, rather than Bin Laden dies/doesn't do 9/11, I do wonder if Sudan may prove an easier war than Afghanistan, "Graveyard of Empires".

Honestly if USA doesn’t invade, the Taliban ineptitude in governance, would likely result in a new group arising and deal with Taliban as it had dealt with the former warlords. Without a American invasion Afghanistan stay the Central Asian Somalia, until its neighbors become so tired of the mess, that they decide collective to deal with the mess.

Pakistan was getting pretty fed up with the Taliban by 2001 in OTL.
Continuing to be nuts was not feasible in the long run.
Guessing they eventually get some sort of “moderates” in charge who can do business with the rest of the world.
Or Islamabad finds another group to support and replace them.