Preemptive British Militarism

When she actually faced her time's equivalent of Nazi Germany, she ended up with the Treaty of London of 1604: figure Chamberlain that signs off on Poland becoming a German Protectorate (in her case, she sold out the Dutch to Spain).
Hate to point this out but as she died in 1603 , was she a Zombie Queen ?

Hate to point this out but as she died in 1603 , was she a Zombie Queen ?

The peace talks had begun while the queen was alive, and the abandonment of the Dutch was the result of the long-held minimal-intervention policies of the queen. But you are right, she was already dead by the time the actual treaty was signed.

The peace talks had begun while the queen was alive, and the abandonment of the Dutch was the result of the long-held minimal-intervention policies of the queen. But you are right, she was already dead by the time the actual treaty was signed.
They started in June 1603 ( James I had called a Ceasefire at Sea in May but that was unilateral), she died in March. It was James I that wanted to end the fighting partly due to his beliefs and partly because fighting a war one of whose causes was the Spanish support for his mothers claim to the English Throne was a bit silly, him having become King of England :).

Actually tentative talks and exchanges of letters had begun years before. In any case, the point is that both Elizabeth and her successor lacked the actual will, the budgetary wherewithal, and the military savvy to be more aggressive than Chamberlain.

Garrison

Donor
I'm going to put my hand up to defend Chamberlain here.

In 1938, the British Army didn't put it's hand up to fight. Neither did the RN. Nor the Poles. Nor the French. And the RAF wasn't ready.

The Americans were several years away.

And the Czechs ? At the end of the day, they surrendered without a fight.

Appeasement wasn't a mistake. It bought enough time for the Spitfire and Hurricane to be ready.

Sorry but this is based on the false assumption that Germany was ready for war in 1938 when it simply wasn't. It wasn't Chamberlain's selling out the Czech's that prevented war in 1938, it was the fact that pretty much every military and economic leader in the Reich bar Hitler, was dead set against it because they knew it would mean catastrophe for Germany. They were serious enough about this to begin planning a coup, and yet by September 1939 those same leaders were sanguine about the invasion of Poland because of the substantial improvements made in the year since Munich. Sure the British gained from the delay, but it is nothing compared to the gains made by the Germans. Czech weaponry, and gold, made a huge contribution to the German military machine, the willingness to throw the Czech's under the bus led to Stalin concluding the western powers were unreliable and concluding the M-R pact. It allowed the Germans to apply pressure to countries like Romania to supply them with resources on favourable terms, especially oil. Munich was a hideous mistake based either on a complete misapprehension of the strength of Nazi Germany or the belief that if there was another European war the only real winners would be the USA and USSR.

Anyway regardless of which side of the appeasement debate you come down on the OP's idea of 'pre-emptive British militarism' is wildly implausible.

I'm going to put my hand up to defend Chamberlain here.

In 1938, the British Army didn't put it's hand up to fight. Neither did the RN. Nor the Poles. Nor the French. And the RAF wasn't ready.

The Americans were several years away.

And the Czechs ? At the end of the day, they surrendered without a fight.

Appeasement wasn't a mistake. It bought enough time for the Spitfire and Hurricane to be ready.
Arguable. Admittedly, while the the British weren't ready for war, neither were the Germans. It took a year of using the Czech arms manufactories to get enough tanks to take on Poland and France.

Then again, the British and French populace were, quite frankly, not ready for war, and it would take the fall of France to shock the British enough to get into a war mentality. And yes, the Czechs surrendered when it was obvious neither France nor Britain was going to help them. Poland was working with Germany to take Czech territory, and nobody wanted the Soviets' help when it was offered (on the mistaken belief that the Soviets were a worse choice than the Nazis).