Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many maps do indeed show CSA victories etc., but I have not at all noticed a pro-CSA/pro-slavery leaning on the site.

Such an accusation was never intended on my part. It was just an observation on three maps a day with a similar subject matter that were not Worldas made in an hour (an as such pre planned and independently commen up with) that triggered my post.

Last edited:
I like this, but are you going to do the north?

Hopefully, still figuring out some of the province borders.

I feel that East Florida would also be a thing here. And possibly that West Florida goes further north, so it is a viable state. And I imagine there will be legal issues due to the mouth of the Mississippi now being near two states, rather than solely in one.

I always considered "Florida" to be the peninsula itself so I never really thought of there being an East Florida though I guess you may be right. There was much greater French settlement in the western half of West Florida so the population was not as low as in OTL so it was always had a decent population.

The Mississippi mouth is pretty much completely in LA, so I wouldn't imagine there being many problems. New Orleans is still the first big stop up the river.

Hopefully, still figuring out some of the province borders.

I always considered "Florida" to be the peninsula itself so I never really thought of there being an East Florida though I guess you may be right. There was much greater French settlement in the western half of West Florida so the population was not as low as in OTL so it was always had a decent population.

The Mississippi mouth is pretty much completely in LA, so I wouldn't imagine there being many problems. New Orleans is still the first big stop up the river.
Yep, but I imagine while the shifting river might be ignored elsewhere, it was at a more strategic area here. That in reference titan he Louisiana-West Florida border. And yes, East Florida did exist, once being a British colony. The issue most comes down to naming. If you did keep the old British East Florida and West Florida colonies around perhaps then West Florida would also two-fifths or more Mississippi and Alabama, giving it a- Wair, French population? They aren't packed up and send out with the Five Civilized Tribes, Loyalists, Unionists, Abolitionists, and people who don't refer refer to soda as coke?

View attachment 464991

Map of the Federated States of Dixie

After the French-and-Indian War, Great Britain takes possession of France's territories west of the Mississippi (which are much more populated than in OTL) instead of Spain. GBR then reorganizes the entirety of their North American colonies into North and South with the Ohio River, the Maxon-Dixon, and the Potomac being the main demarcation lines.

The American Revolution happens but is put down eventually as the North and the South are reluctant to join forces. The French Revolution still takes place and Napoleon still comes to power. During the Napoleonic Wars, the stress put on the colonies by the British causes the rebellion to start anew (largely spurned on the the sizable French minorities in both the North and the South), but it is put down in the North. In the South however the rebels have much more success and are eventually able to win their independence under General Andrew Jackson.

Now the South is an independent presidential republic while the North (which includes most of modern day Canada) forms the Commonwealth of America.

The map is beautiful, though I’m curious how the towns have OTL names with such a far reaching POD

Yep, but I imagine while the shifting river might be ignored elsewhere, it was at a more strategic area here. That in reference titan he Louisiana-West Florida border. And yes, East Florida did exist, once being a British colony. The issue most comes down to naming. If you did keep the old British East Florida and West Florida colonies around perhaps then West Florida would also two-fifths or more Mississippi and Alabama, giving it a- Wair, French population? They aren't packed up and send out with the Five Civilized Tribes, Loyalists, Unionists, Abolitionists, and people who don't refer refer to soda as coke?

The Mississippi shifting would probably be something both states would agree on. There hasn't been a major shift since Vicksburg got left high and dry and besides shifting to the Achafalaya would hurt both states.

Let's just say WF gave up the land to make room for more states similar to how Virginia gave up Kentucky to be made into a state.

Yes there was much higher French settlement in LA mostly in Southern LA, Western WF, and near St. Louis. The French colonists were one of the biggest proponents of independence from Britain, so the Anglo Patriots looked pretty favorably on them. And after independence, even more French settlers moving in from the still British controlled Acadia and Quebec where they were suppressed to keep similar independent sentiments from growing.

The map is beautiful, though I’m curious how the towns have OTL names with such a far reaching POD

I didn't really want to change too much just for the sake of change, so I kept the names to would still make sense to be called the same. I did change a couple though that wouldn't make sense with Lafayette -> Vermilionville and Fayetteville -> Clayville.

Such an accusation was never intended on my part. It was just an observation on three maps a day with a similar subject matter that were not Worldas made in an hour (an as such pre planned and independently commen up with) that triggered my post.
I actually mostly made mine about a year ago and forgot about it... then noticed it today, touched it up a bit, and posted it.

definitely quite the coincidence

Is it just me or is there seems to be a Confederate/Dixie/Slavery mind here
I believe this is the spirit of Alternate History. You sympathize with a losing side in history and imagine what would have happened had they won. This is also the reason of all the Byzantine empire eternal maps; since many members are American, I am by no way amazed by the amount of Confederate victories on this site.
What alarms me however is that.in the electoral map thread over 50% of the maps are maps of USA

Eh, these things cycle. The ACW, WWII, and to a lesser extent the ARW and WWI, are the "classic" AH topics, since most (or at least a plurality) of the site's users are American. After a while, these topics get worn out and tired, so people stop doing them, but then every so often the topic gets revived, and it blows up because it's a familiar topic.

Eh, these things cycle. The ACW, WWII, and to a lesser extent the ARW and WWI, are the "classic" AH topics, since most (or at least a plurality) of the site's users are American. After a while, these topics get worn out and tired, so people stop doing them, but then every so often the topic gets revived, and it blows up because it's a familiar topic.
Or, sometimes, a meme takes over the map thread, such as "Crappy Maps from My Youth", "Nine Boxes O' Alternate Takes on Regions", or "Shitpost (lol)".

Today on: Mysterious WIPs

upload_2019-6-11_21-48-30.png

Here's my last map for 2018. It's the brainchild of way too much time spent on APUSH homework, specifically two weeks of classes on slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction. Anyways, I'm hoping this'll become a fleshed-out timeline at some point. Is it 100% realistic? No. Is it trying to be? No. Sometimes realism takes a seat to storytelling, and that's what's happened here. Hope you enjoy.
Exactly what will likely end up being happening with my railroad TL.

Many maps do indeed show CSA victories etc., but I have not at all noticed a pro-CSA/pro-slavery leaning on the site.
If we want it reeeeeeally ridiculous I rememeber once somsone making a map or one-shot where the Confederates began enslaving the poor whites and apparently got away with it. Original, but there is a reason people don't usually put imelines on here.

I also recall quite a few times that people mention they had a map in storage when they post it, saying that a map posted that day, with some similarities on focus, inspired them to show it. But yes, best when people have variety in it, part of what made the Alphabet ISOTs fun while they lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.