Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

FBKampfer

Banned
I'm curious to see what new gear the Americans have come up with. About now we should start seeing something akin to an M60.

Attack helicopters should be coming down the pike any day now too.

I'm curious to see what new gear the Americans have come up with. About now we should start seeing something akin to an M60.

M60 is possible as that was basically a copy of the MG-43.

Have the Belgians made the MAG yet?

Probably still at the "screwing around with leftover weapons" phase. Which in combat soon leaves that hilariously improvised stage and moves to the "transport with lots of guns" phase.

What? Keeping Kentucky from selling all their bourbon production to Canada?

Canadians don't smuggle alcohol, they smuggle cheese.

Canada+breaking+news+breaking+newsmajor+smuggling+ring+discovered+in+canadasmalldont_90454c_4129153.png

God help the moronic son of a bitch that tries to get handsy with Nurse Fleischer.

He had better hope her father hears before Kat does...
Odds are that Kat will ask Tilo to "spread the word" that Nurse Fleischer its related to him or his god-daughter.

With that alone the 99% of the problems with the German soldiers are over, as they may be insane but NOT suicidal enough to dare to touch the god-daughter of the CO of the Marine Infantry Division. Heck, if someone else of the League task Force tried, the 3rd Marines would be the first in the lynching platoon.....

Odds are that Kat will ask Tilo to "spread the word" that Nurse Fleischer its related to him or his god-daughter.

With that alone the 99% of the problems with the German soldiers are over, as they may be insane but NOT suicidal enough to dare to touch the god-daughter of the CO of the Marine Infantry Division. Heck, if someone else of the League task Force tried, the 3rd Marines would be the first in the lynching platoon.....

Part bolded specifically.

That's all well and good so long as the 3rd Marine is thinking straight, but you get some poor son of a bitch who has just been in a 6 or 12 or 24 hour long fire fight, who is basically incapable of feeling anything but the constant shockwaves and pressures of artillery shells, who has his hands covered in what used to be the face of his best friend, they might just be in such a position, and if they are rotated to some field hospital because in the heat and chaos of everything going wrong, it is the only place not on the line they could send him, they could do something really, really dumb.

A man literally broken can do anything, and if he is a damaged individual before hand, something that would be likely in the 3rd Marine Division, it can happen. I'm not saying it will happen, or that it is in any way excusable, I'm just saying it could happen.

Combat engineers. So unless something needs to be built or blown up under fire, he should be fine.

In saying that, if he's near the front and there is a breakthrough, he will be expected to do his duty. Familial concerns or not.
Strumpioneers were a specialized assault breakthrough unit (with high casualty rates). Unless he's rated for and attached to those units, he's unlikely to be dragooned to spearhead an assault against fortified positions, no matter the local situation. He'd be most likely sent towards safety if the area becomes too hot.
And even if he volunteers, he'll be (somewhat) politely refused. One extra warm body is not worth the shithurricane that would befall whoever allowed the Heir to the throne to stupidly gamble his life.

Last edited:
The American people are not going to like sending troops to China, selling weapons is okay but no to troops.
Harriman has to walk a tightrope in pushing for a face saving peace plan or this whole thing is going to blow up in his face in an election year.
For a possible site for the talks may I suggest the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO it is a very luxurious resort and with Ft. Carson nearby it has excellent security.
I can see an agreement being reached but either Chaing Kai-shek or Syngman Rhee blowing up a good peace deal for reasons only known to them.

For a possible site for the talks may I suggest the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO it is a very luxurious resort and with Ft. Carson nearby it has excellent security.
If the Broadmoor hotel is used, expect much amusement among the British press.
In the UK, Broadmoor is the location of a high security psychiatric hospital where those judged to be "criminally insane", such as Peter Sutcliffe - the so called Yorkshire Ripper and Ronnie Kray were treated for severe mental health issues.

Part 89, Chapter 1380
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Eighty

19th July 1960

Seoul, Korea

After having spent all day Saturday in Cuxhaven being briefed on what she could expect in Korea and filling out reems of paperwork, Kiki had spent the night in the women’s barracks. Then she had been informed that she was to be on the first train back to Berlin on Sunday morning because her flight would be on Lufthansa to Seoul. It had made her wonder what the point was for her to have made the trip to Cuxhaven in the first place.

Then, really having nowhere else to go, Kiki had spent the Sunday night with her family in Potsdam. Sleeping in her chambers in the Summer Residence had been nice, however she could have lived without the awkward dinner that had preceded it. Everyone had been there including Nella which had been a bit of a surprise. It seemed that Kiki’s stepmother Charlotte had taken more of a hands-on approach to raising the youngest member of their family than her actual mother had. There were still a team of nurses around to help, but they weren’t doing everything. The entire meal itself had been an excruciating experience, with Kiki’s personal choices being something that everyone was talking around. Something that they were afraid to bring up, so as to not say something unforgivable. Kiki had been relieved when she had left the next morning to have breakfast with Zella and Aurora.

It being the Summer Holiday, the three of them were going their separate ways. Zella on the road trip with her father and Aurora to the Baltic seaside with her family. It was obvious that Aurora would have preferred to be going with either of her friends, this was despite Kiki’s realization that she had put herself in a somewhat precarious position. Somehow Aurora thought that being in an area that might become a warzone was preferable to being around her family. Still, it had been a pleasant breakfast, though in Kiki’s opinion the goodbyes had been a bit needlessly poignant. They were all going to be back together in September and that wasn’t a very long time. They would probably all have some real stories to tell, even Aurora.

Upon arriving in the airport, Kiki had discovered that her seat had been upgraded to first class. She had been thinking of what she would say to her father about his interference when she learned that it had in fact been Tilo Schultz who had gotten her the upgrade.

“Nancy would skin me alive if I left you back in Coach” Tilo said when Kiki had questioned him in the airport lounge about what his motivations were. It was while they were waiting there that Kat had turned up and had spoken with Tilo. Kiki couldn’t help but overhearing what Tilo had confided in Kat. That he was unhappy about being pulled away from Nancy at this time and that he was overwhelmed by what the Marine Infantry expected of him. That was quite a thing to have heard him say. Later, as Kiki had boarded the plane, Kat had pulled her aside and apologized. “I’m sorry I couldn’t do more for you” She had said, to Kiki’s bewilderment. What else could Kat possibly have done? She had done everything imaginable to prepare her for what was ahead, whatever it was.

Now, standing on the tarmac having just gotten off the plane the concrete was steaming. It had just stopped raining and the sun was out. It felt the same as July in Japan had a few years before, which Kiki knew was a completely wretched thing to deal with. Before she had even made it to the main building of the airport she was soaked in sweat. Hopefully, the she wouldn’t spend the next several weeks feeling like she was walking through a haze like she had in Japan during this time of the year. Once inside she found what looked like a circus happening inside. Dozens of Journalists, Photographers and even a television camera crew. Mercifully, they ignored Kiki and were focused on Tilo when he entered the building. A Korean General greeted him warmly as he entered, then the two of them turned and faced the gathered Press for a brief statement. Later, Kiki would learn that the Korean General was Gang Yeong-Su and that he had fought beside Tilo Schultz in the chaotic days after the Japanese had been expelled from Korea against the bandits that had taken over the Northern Provinces. Gang was considered a national hero by the Koreans and Tilo coming to lead the 3rd Marine Infantry Division was seen as the old, unbeatable team getting back together.

Kiki watched the Press conference until she learned that a Stabsarzt Lehmann was looking for her at the Lufthansa baggage claim. Realizing who that probably was, Kiki hurried to the baggage claim to find a stern looking man, who looked a bit too cross at having to wait for her. The Clerical collar that he was wearing was not something that she was expecting either.

“I am terribly sorry that I kept you… er… Sir” Kiki said unsure exactly how to address him as she handed her claim ticket to the Porter. “It’s a mess in the main building.”

“I had asked for a Feldunterarzt” Was what he said to her in reply, “You are what I got sent instead, Fraulein Fischer.”

He had asked for a Field Surgeon Trainee, presumably to act as his assistant and had gotten a Field Medic instead. No wonder he had looked so displeased. As soon Kiki was handed her duffle bag Lehmann turned on his heel and walked towards the doors with Kiki having to run to catch up. Once out in the carpark, he got into the Iltis that was waiting.

“We’ve a long drive ahead of us Fahnenjunker” Lehmann said, “So I hope that you got some sleep on the plane.”

Kiki watched the Press conference until she learned that a Stabsarzt Lehmann was looking for her at the Lufthansa baggage claim. Realizing who that probably was, Kiki hurried to the baggage claim to find a stern looking man, who looked a bit too cross at having to wait for her. The Clerical collar that he was wearing was not something that she was expecting either.

“I am terribly sorry that I kept you… er… Sir” Kiki said unsure exactly how to address him as she handed her claim ticket to the Porter. “It’s a mess in the main building.”

“I had asked for a Feldunterarzt” Was what he said to her in reply, “You are what I got sent instead, Fraulein Fischer.”

He had asked for a Field Surgeon Trainee, presumably to act as his assistant and had gotten a Field Medic instead. No wonder he had looked so displeased. As soon Kiki was handed her duffle bag Lehmann turned on his heel and walked towards the doors with Kiki having to run to catch up. Once out in the carpark, he got into the Iltis that was waiting.

“We’ve a long drive ahead of us Fahnenjunker” Lehmann said, “So I hope that you got some sleep on the plane.”

giphy.gif

Welcome to a New World, Kiki......

Part 89, Chapter 1381
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Eighty-One

26th July 1960

Rural Chagang Province, Korea

Kiki chased the chicken out of the stone walled hut that she had been assigned for her sleeping quarters, it tended to be the first thing she had to do in the morning. Father Lehmann had told her that she needed to keep the door locked and anything of value that she might have brought with her to Korea needed to go into the strongbox that the Oberstarzt kept in his office. That didn’t stop the hens from getting in through one of the small gaps between the walls and the roof. It was a reminder that this had been a farm before it had been picked to be the site of a field hospital. Ada had already left a few minutes earlier, the Nurse looked at Kiki’s hair as needless vanity and had told her to chop it off within minutes of Kiki arriving here a few days earlier. Kiki had told her to piss off only to get a cynical smile from Ada, the world would break Kiki of childish things soon enough was her reply. Kiki having to take the time to braid her hair before going for breakfast seemed to validate Ada’s perspective, which was an obnoxious intrusive thought that Kiki dismissed as she put her beret on and headed out the door, making sure that the door was secured behind her.

Kiki had only brought one thing of value with her to Korea, and that was the silver pin that went on the beret that she wore every day. It was a sign to everyone who saw it that she belonged here having earned her position. No one had given her anything. It was something that she understandably refused to part with. Hurrying across the compound Kiki heard got the now expected greeting from the men standing sentry. They were always happy to see her, and she wouldn’t trust any of them as far as she could throw them. That was something else that Ada had mentioned, they only liked her because she was young and pretty. They wanted only one thing from her, and it was good she had that pistol. There were times when Kiki wondered what must have happened to Ada to give her such a delightful perspective.

She could smell as soon as she entered the mess tent that breakfast wasn’t going to be a happy occasion. This field hospital had adopted the habits of the Marine Infantry Division that it was attached to. That included acquiring as much of the food that they ate from local sources as possible. In Korea that included rice and kimchi with every meal along with anything else that might have been scrounged up by the cooks. According to those who had been here for months already the hens that were present in the hospital compound were considered too valuable for their eggs to go into the stewpot but that didn’t mean that the occasional hog or rooster didn’t have an extremely unlucky afternoon.

Grabbing a tray, Kiki stood in line for breakfast. It turned out to be as questionable as she thought that it would be. A mixture of what looked like kimchi and fish over rice. The beverage choice wasn’t much better, either powdered citrus drink mix had been added to water in a failing effort to mask the flavor of the chlorine that had been used to purify it or the black sludge that passed for coffee here. Kiki went with the citrus drink, the need to take care of herself was something that Berg had pounded into her head over the last few years. She saw no reason to break with that now. Sitting down at the table with Father Lehmann and Ada. Kiki started to eat her breakfast without questioning exactly what it was too much.

Father Lehmann, or Stabsarzt Lehmann depending on which role he was playing at the moment was speaking with Ada. Kiki didn’t know much about him other than he was both a Priest and a Surgeon. On an intellectual level she knew that those two things were not mutually exclusive, but she still found it odd.

“Are you paying attention Fraulein Fischer?” Father Lehmann asked grabbing Kiki’s attention.

“I’m sorry” Kiki replied.

“I’m making the rounds in the forward positions” Lehmann said, “If you are interested in leaving the perimeter wire you can come along.”

Kiki hadn’t left the hospital compound since she had gotten here. Of course, she was interested.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kiki felt the straps of her pack digging into her shoulders as she trudged up the hill.

“Be careful here” Father Lehmann said as they reached the top of the ridge. “The commanders of these positions get angry with you if you get silhouetted against the sky and I shouldn’t have to remind you to stay on the marked path.”

Because there were very likely landmines on either side of the path, Kiki thought to herself.

As they had walked through the dug in artillery positions, Kiki had seen how Lehmann was known to everyone that they came into contact with. There was a battery of 10.5cm howitzers in the narrow valley behind the forward positions. Climbing the ridge had been tough enough, getting waved through at the Command-Post had sped things along though. Now, Kiki was trying to get across the hilltop without losing her footing. The weight of her heavy pack threatening to send her tumbling. Finally, they reached a patch of relatively level ground and she had a chance to look around at her surroundings. Dozens of men came out of holes in the ground that had been camouflaged. It was a relief to be in the shade of the netting as she stepped into a large dugout that seemed to exist for exactly this purpose.

“One at a time!” Lehmann yelled and the men dutifully followed that command, some going back to their holes.

“What’s your name Toots?” One of the men asked as he limped in, to Kiki’s annoyance.

“You’ll have all the time in the world to learn that in the hospital while you’re waiting to evacuate after I get through amputating your feet because you are too stupid to avoid trench foot Soldat” Lehmann snapped which wiped the grin off the man’s face, then he turned to Kiki. “There is a large container containing talc powder in your pack. If you could get it out for me.”

This is what you signed up for, Kiki thought to herself.

Last edited: