Chapter 1
1035: OTL coastal Massachusetts

"Fleeing the violent skrælings of the north, and not deterred enough to leave, Thorfinn Karlsefni departed south in the early years of the 11th century. He and his settlers traveled down the east coast of the newly discovered land until they reached a great bay. It was here that they began anew."

Jarl Snorri Thorfinnsson closed his eyes as he listened to the skald read aloud the beginning of the saga. The monotone voice of the old man was begining to put Snorri to sleep. But, tradition mandated that he listen to it. It happened at every Thing. The skald continued.

"Thus, our forefathers, the karls and the Jarl Thorfinn founded Botnborg in this place, free from prying eyes. Our king and his wife, Gudrid Thorbjarnarddóttir, ruled with responsibility and kindness. It was here that we started our first farms, built our new homes, and our new lives. And this line continues with our Jarl Snorri Thorfinnsson."

The crowd of free men let out a collective sigh of relief as the skald ended his speech. The Thing began, starting with a dispute between a Skræling hunter from the Wampanoag tribe and a Norse hunter. The Norse man had apparently intruded onto the tribes private hunting grounds and killed several deer. The lawspeaker ruled in favor of the Wampanoag.

Such were the type of cases heard at the gathering. A boring a tedious process, the Thing is what helped keep order. When the gathering ended, Snorri retreated back to his longhouse.

Resting in front of the fire, the king relaxed as he laid on one of the many crude benches that lined the hall. His wife, Astrid, was already in the bedroom sleeping. She was often exaughsted due to being with child. He was often feeling tired of being Jarl. He sometimes wished his brother, Thorbjorn Thorfinnsson was the ruler. But then, if that was the case, perhaps it would be Snorri who would be leading the church services. With a lack of contact with the Holy See in Rome, Thorbjorn took it upon himself to preach to the masses, especialy since there had to be at least one closet pagan who still clung to Odin.

Snorri often wondered if he was living up to his father's expectations. The old man was out, burried in a small grove to the west. However, due to the lack of materials, Snorri could not afford to bury the sword with him. Instead, he kept it in the meager royal armory. Thankfully, he hasn't had to wield it in battle, peace holding with these "people of the dawn." That thought reminded him, he was to meet with his brother "Bishop" Thorbjorn tomorrow. With that, Snorri traveled to his quarters to go sleep.

Last edited:
Nice start, going to be watching this timeline, love Vinland.

I take it the POD is the early 1010's with Karlsefni heading further south for a new colony then. Also, haven't they sent any ships back north to Greenland and Europe? That part about Thorbjorn make it seens like they haven't.

Nice start, going to be watching this timeline, love Vinland.

I take it the POD is the early 1010's with Karlsefni heading further south for a new colony then. Also, haven't they sent any ships back north to Greenland and Europe? That part about Thorbjorn make it seens like they haven't.
Yup, the pod is that Karlsefni moved further down 1004.

They got about as far as Greenland before a storm damaged the main ship, forcing it to limp back to the colony. The ship is too damaged to make a trip back to Europe, and they don't know where to find more materials to fix it. Yeah there's lumber, but as for the iron needed...

With a lack of contact with the Holy See in Rome, Thorbjorn took it upon himself to preach to the masses, especialy since there had to be at least one closet pagan who still clung to Odin.

I like that you know enough to be aware that Vinland was discovered in the era of heavy christianization in the North, and the expedition was even led by christians. I appreciate your attention to historical accuracy, a lot of people would have overlooked or ignored that.

This is not to say that I don't hope to see christianity wane in the far-flung colony, because I very much do.

Yeah there's lumber, but as for the iron needed...
The Vinland settlements may recieve iron from different sources, using different means at different times. Perhaps in the beginning trade would be the means for getting hold of iron, with Europe being the source. Later, North American sources may be sought. The iron may be collected by Norse expeditions, these expeditions could set up permanent or temporary settlements around iron sources. Alternativly the technology for ironworking could spread or be independantly developed by Amerindians. Thus a more considerable network for trade around iron would be established. Vinlanders could also buy iron from Amerindians that don't use the material.

Iron mining in the United States began in 1608, when a ship returning from the Jamestown Colony in Virginia carried a load of iron ore back to England. The manufacture of iron from ore apparently began in 1622, in what is now Chesterfield County, Virginia, but was halted when Native Americans killed everyone in the establishment. John Winthrop, Jr. established an iron furnace at Braintree, Massachusetts, which started making iron in 1644, but closed when it ran out of nearby ore in 1647. A more successful effort was established at Saugus, Massachusetts.[6]

Iron production in the 1700s was done with charcoal, of which American forests could provide a seemingly endless supply. Numerous small iron mines supplied iron furnaces scattered throughout the colonies in the 1700s. Bog iron ore common around the Chesapeake Bay fed numerous iron furnaces in Maryland and Virginia set up to export to Britain.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_mining_in_the_United_States

Chapter 2
Snorri Thorfinnsson awoke when his wife pushed him out of bed and onto the cold dirt floor. Licking his lips, the Jarl grumbled. I like eating carpet, not earth. Cocking his head, he could hear Astrid's heavy snore. Sighing in frustration, Snorri started to get up.

Once dressed, the nobleman walked along the muddy streets towards the church. The locals of Botnborg waved and bowed to their Jarl. All of the karls showed their respect by stopping their work. A few children ran at him before bowing and running again. Smiling, Snorri thought of his own unborn child.

He stood outside the church. The church was a wooden structure, built with notched wood, allowing it to interlock. The roof was thatch, giving it a golden appearance from a distance. His brother, Thorbjorn, stood in the doorway. Tall and stocky with a chest the size of a ship's keel, he looked like he would be more at home cracking skulls than healing souls.
"Jarl."
"Bishop."
Grunting, Thorbjorn let his elder brother inside.

The two norsemen started a game of chess to pass the time. "Bishop," started Snorri. His brother moved a pawn forward. "You know how I feel about that."
"What's Pope whateverhisnameis XVI going to say about It? You're helping people. Hell, you got the only bible in this land."
"It's just... I'm not a bishop. I'm just helping people. I feel I was ment to spread the word of God." Snorri captured a took with his knight. "Speaking of which, how does your expeditions to the skrælings go?"
"These people, they're heathens. But, at least they tolerate me and my preaching. They're more into mother earth than the father, the son, and the holy ghost."
Snorri grunted, understanding. "I think the Sachem is sending some of his own people to try and convert us. He's a crafty one, as is his shaman Soaring Hawk."
"His name is Soaring Hawk?"
"Well, roughly translated. I know what you're thinking: 'I don't need a war over an insult.' Don't worry, he calls me something too."
Tilting his head, Snorri asked what they called his brother.
Smiling, Thorbjorn said "Wòpe. It means 'white'".
Capturing the king, Snorri sighed. "Bards, the lot of them."

The Vinland settlements may recieve iron from different sources, using different means at different times. Perhaps in the beginning trade would be the means for getting hold of iron, with Europe being the source. Later, North American sources may be sought. The iron may be collected by Norse expeditions, these expeditions could set up permanent or temporary settlements around iron sources. Alternativly the technology for ironworking could spread or be independantly developed by Amerindians. Thus a more considerable network for trade around iron would be established. Vinlanders could also buy iron from Amerindians that don't use the material.

Thanks man, that helps alot! Though, just a heads up, there probably won't be that man trips back to Europe in this timeline.

I like to read timelines about the Vikings setting in North America.

I am assuming that the Vikings had germs that the American Indians did not have. Were there various outbreaks of European diseases in this timeline?

Also were there any trade and migration from the other Viking lands to North America?

I like to read timelines about the Vikings setting in North America.

I am assuming that the Vikings had germs that the American Indians did not have. Were there various outbreaks of European diseases in this timeline?

Also were there any trade and migration from the other Viking lands to North America?
Not really, these Vikings came from Iceland, which was removed enough from Europe so that even they were vulnerable to European diseases. So no, there haven't been any notable outbreaks yet.

As for more Viking colonies, not for a long, long time. For now, these people are but a fading memory in the minds of the Norse people.

The Vikings could use bog iron from local sources.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron
"Iron may have been produced by Vikings at Point Rosee and other locations in Newfoundland around 1000 CE.[11][12] Excavations at L'Anse aux Meadows have found considerable evidence for the processing of bog iron and the production of iron ore.[5] The settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows was situated immediately east of a sedge peat bog and 15 kg of slag was found at the site, which would have produced around 3 kg of usable iron.[5] Analysis of the slag showed that considerably more iron could have been smelted out of the ore, indicating that the workers processing the ore had not been skilled.[5] This supports the idea that iron processing knowledge was widespread and not restricted to major centres of trade and commerce.[5] 98 nail fragments were also found at the site as well as considerable evidence for wood working which points to the iron produced at the site possibly being used only for ship repair and not tool making."

Yup, the pod is that Karlsefni moved further down 1004.

They got about as far as Greenland before a storm damaged the main ship, forcing it to limp back to the colony. The ship is too damaged to make a trip back to Europe, and they don't know where to find more materials to fix it. Yeah there's lumber, but as for the iron needed...

There's plenty of bog iron in the region, which most vikings were familiar with and knew how to extract and work.

I'm excited to see where this timeline goes! I have a guilty pleasure of Vinland TL's. Will you cover the effects Vinland will have on the First Nations/Native Americans?

I'm excited to see where this timeline goes! I have a guilty pleasure of Vinland TL's. Will you cover the effects Vinland will have on the First Nations/Native Americans?
As a matter of fact, yes. For now (and the next few chapters) we will be following Snorri Thorfinnsson's point of view. But as the years go on, there will be wider changes.

I am super excited for this timeline. It looks as if these Vikings are it for now in the New World, and will probably continue to be for some time. I am very interested in the native/viking hybrid culture that will arise.

Chapter 3
Sitting in the Great Hall of Botnborg, Jarl Snorri Thorfinnsson basked in the warmth of the hearth. In front of him was two settlers, Sigurd and Rolf, who came with a proposition.

"My Jarl, we believe that we can solve a major issue that has plagued our colony since your father's rule."
"Oh? And what is that? We have many issues."
Sigurd readied himself for his comeback. "No, my lord. Iron. We think that we can find iron in the bogs to the north. This could be our saving grace to keep an edge over the Skræling braves."

Snorri looked them down, debating on sending them out. "How many men do you require for your expedition?"
"Only twenty five, sir."
Thinking, the Jarl replied. "Aye, we can spare it. But do not offend the natives."

Snorri patted the belly of his wife, Astrid. Her belly had bulged quite a bit these last few months. "Do you feel him kicking, dear husband? He is strong like his father." Snorri smiled at her. "I do. I hope that he will be as smart as he is strong."
"If he is like you, I'm sure he will." She relaxed. "Tell me, how goes conversion?"
"Not well. Thorbjorn has managed to convert a token number, but the rest seem to be content with their heathen religion."
"Has the Bishop thought of putting the bible into their words, instead of just preaching it in latin or norse?" Snorri looked at her for a moment. "Darling, that's genius."
"I would hope so. After all, you didn't marry me only for my looks."

Last edited:
Wait. The "Bishop" wasn't even preaching in anything but Latin and Norse and he managed to convert someone? He must be the greatest missionary of all times.

Wait. The "Bishop" wasn't even preaching in anything but Latin and Norse and he managed to convert someone? He must be the greatest missionary of all times.
As in he reads passages in those two languages, he's giving basic run downs in his rudimentary Algonquin.

Kinda like a more primitive spark notes.

Edit: sorry if that wasn't clear, my bad

Last edited: