Status
Not open for further replies.
Paramount makes the most sense for Sailor Moon but i could see Disney. Would be fun. DBZ and Sailor Moon as competing series could be neat.

Last edited:
Don't remind me the goku x usagi/serena fanfics...that is a flashback to 90's
Ha.
extreme_crack_pairing_nonsense_by_artemis_aka_diana_d4uoxxe-fullview.jpg

Reminds me of the original plot idea for Star vs the Forces of Evil, where the two main characters were just dorks who were huge fans of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z respectively, and were ‘rivals’. The idea of that actually becoming a cartoon because here Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were rival shows amuses me way more than it probably should.

I already PM'ed you this question, but I thought I'd ask it here anyway.

I'm not too sure your TL's Beauty & The Beast would be as close to OTL's film as you made it. Unless there were to be some background where Walt also takes influence from the 1946 French film. Otherwise, I always assumed it would be more like earlier drafts of the story. Like the one where Gaston was an aristocratic oaf.

Sorry if I come off as overcritical. It's just that I was wondering.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the original plot idea for Star vs the Forces of Evil, where the two main characters were just dorks who were huge fans of Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z respectively, and were ‘rivals’. The idea of that actually becoming a cartoon because here Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were rival shows amuses me way more than it probably should.
Why rivals? both show are the end of spectrum and complement each other(i loved the action of sailor moon as a child), still yeah the internet was full of Goku x Usagi.

Dragon Ball and its later spinoffs/sequels will actually be showing up on the Paramount Television Service when it comes stateside. I've not yet decided if Disney, Paramount, or someone else gets Sailor Moon.

Well, at least this means that either the franchise will help the channel get famous, or the other way around. Frankly, this could be a challenge.

On the other hand, due to the girl power found in Sailor Moon, or at least the stuff kids can be allowed to see, I'd root for Disney to get the broadcast rights.

On the other hand, due to the girl power found in Sailor Moon, or at least the stuff kids can be allowed to see, I'd root for Disney to get the broadcast rights.
Disney is a open network ITTL not a cable channel, meaning unless the PTC is destroyed(hopefully), they will be forced to censor things

Disney is a open network ITTL not a cable channel, meaning unless the PTC is destroyed(hopefully), they will be forced to censor things
Please do it, @HeX.
Honestly, the PTC is unlikely to form ITTL, or if something takes its place, it'll be less powerful and effective. A lot of that is the result of:

A) People put a lot of trust in Disney, so if Disney deems something okay for children, a lot of parents will think so to.

B) There will be a lot less needless entertainment censorship ITTL, as Disney, Universal, Paramount, Warner, etc. will all be pursuing more 'mature' routes with their movies, TV shows, video games, or whatever. If some idiots come along and try to make them change that, that's a lot of big, multi-million dollar companies breathing down your neck ready to take you or even the government to court, with the First Amendment backing them up...

TBH, I haven't thought about the 1990s in-depth yet, only a basic structure. So this is all subject to change.

Making the World Rock
JVC Headquarters, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
April 20, 1980

"The VHS player is compatible with any television. Its picture quality is that of a standard television broadcast, and it has enough recording tape inside to store over two hours of video."

Roy took a step back and held the VHS tape up to the light. "So, basically better than the Betamax in every way?"

Kenjiro Takayanagi, pioneer of television, paused, then said, "Well, unfortunately it's not, the Betamax has superior quality to its recordings, at the cost of less recording time. But, really, which would you prefer--watching all of a baseball game in broadcast quality, or watching most of a baseball game in higher quality, only to have the tape run out and the recording stop with bases loaded, bottom of the ninth?"

"The first one, I suppose. But we did run in this month's Fun Club News that at least the first batch of films would be coming to VHS and Betamax. And, I might add, Sony has been very cooperative."

"I suppose I can't argue with that," sighed Takayanagi. "You are a businessman, after all. Playing the field is what you're paid to do."

"It is, isn't it?"

"You said over the phone you had a selection of films for the 'first batch' of VHS. Might I..."

"Oh, right! Sorry. The movies we want put out first are Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, and The Reluctant Dragon. All on separate tapes, of course."

"Of course."

"Assuming they sell well, Walt wants to put out Saludos Amigos, Victory Through Air Power, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, and Song of the South out by the year's end. If all goes well, the Walt Disney's Animated Classics brand will include every animated film in our library, and hopefully it'll justify moving on to cartoons and live-action movies on tape."

Roy and Takayanagi moved over to the window, enjoying the excellent view from so high up over Yokohama. "Japan truly is a magnificent country, Takayanagi-san. Walt Disney Studios is very happy to be working so closely with so many corporations in the Land of the Rising Sun."

Kenjiro Takayanagi smiled in return. "And I am very happy you have decided to do business with us. Disney isn't like the other American companies. You're so much more... relaxed? No, that's not right... you're homey."

"It's like one big family back in Burbank."

--------------------------------
Abbey Road Studios, Westminster, London, UK
April 23, 1980

"No. Absolutely not. We all agreed on it being a one time thing, with the possibility of something more. But I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to be a Beatle," sighed Ringo, slumping down.

"Same here. Being a Beatle is amazing, but I was doing just fine--better, even--as a solo artist," agreed George. John and Paul didn't exactly leap out of their seats to agree, but from the looks on their faces, they did.

George Martin couldn't believe it. "Are you all out of your minds? Opening night in the Royal Albert Hall was the first time I've seen you four together and smiling since 1968. You weren't there because you had to be, you were there because you wanted to be."

"The Beatles are gone, George," insisted Paul. "It was fun, but... I don't know if I can keep up with being a Beatle, one of the Wings, performing solo--"

"Fuck the Wings! And fuck all of your solo careers, too! You might not see it, but the Beatles are what bring you all together. You all bring something to the table no one else here can. You're pieces of a puzzle, slices of a pie, parts of a whole... you're the fucking Beatles!" roared Martin.

Deafening silence filled the room.

"Look," said Martin, "You are all excellent musicians in your own rights. You are nigh untouchable in that realm. But people don't turn out for John, Paul, George, and Ringo--they turn out for the Beatles. Your new The Beatles Reunited album has gone double platinum in the US and the UK. The people want you four together."

"...The man does have a point," conceded John. "We have fans. A lot of them. And now that we're all able to sit in the same room together and not spontaneously combust... I'm all for giving the Beatles another shot."

"If John wants to do it... then I'm in," said Paul.

George leaned forward. "If we're doing this... I want more recognition than last time. I think we can agree I kinda got shafted back in the day--" Paul and John nodded begrudgingly. "--but if I can get my name on the byline next to more songs, then it's a win in my book."

"How about a compromise on that? No more Lennon-McCartney, or George Harrison, or Ringo Starr. Just 'the Beatles'. That way, everyone gets credit," proposed John.

"Interesting. I wasn't expecting you to be so selfless, John," remarked George Martin.

John shrugged. "I've had twenty years of superstardom. Everyone here has. It's time to just forgive and forget, and move on."

"And with that... I'm in too," Ringo announced. "Let's make the world rock."

They got the band back together! I wonder what kind of effect this reunion/reformation will have on pop culture as a whole? It’s really cool to see stuff like that, not just seeing such a great band reunite but seeing all the wider effects it’ll have on the timeline as a whole. Here’s hoping that somehow the Beatles being together again will change events enough to stop Chapman.

JVC Headquarters, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
April 20, 1980

"The VHS player is compatible with any television. Its picture quality is that of a standard television broadcast, and it has enough recording tape inside to store over two hours of video."

Roy took a step back and held the VHS tape up to the light. "So, basically better than the Betamax in every way?"

Kenjiro Takayanagi, pioneer of television, paused, then said, "Well, unfortunately it's not, the Betamax has superior quality to its recordings, at the cost of less recording time. But, really, which would you prefer--watching all of a baseball game in broadcast quality, or watching most of a baseball game in higher quality, only to have the tape run out and the recording stop with bases loaded, bottom of the ninth?"

"The first one, I suppose. But we did run in this month's Fun Club News that at least the first batch of films would be coming to VHS and Betamax. And, I might add, Sony has been very cooperative."

"I suppose I can't argue with that," sighed Takayanagi. "You are a businessman, after all. Playing the field is what you're paid to do."

"It is, isn't it?"

"You said over the phone you had a selection of films for the 'first batch' of VHS. Might I..."

"Oh, right! Sorry. The movies we want put out first are Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Bambi, and The Reluctant Dragon. All on separate tapes, of course."

"Of course."

"Assuming they sell well, Walt wants to put out Saludos Amigos, Victory Through Air Power, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, and Song of the South out by the year's end. If all goes well, the Walt Disney's Animated Classics brand will include every animated film in our library, and hopefully it'll justify moving on to cartoons and live-action movies on tape."

Roy and Takayanagi moved over to the window, enjoying the excellent view from so high up over Yokohama. "Japan truly is a magnificent country, Takayanagi-san. Walt Disney Studios is very happy to be working so closely with so many corporations in the Land of the Rising Sun."

Kenjiro Takayanagi smiled in return. "And I am very happy you have decided to do business with us. Disney isn't like the other American companies. You're so much more... relaxed? No, that's not right... you're homey."

"It's like one big family back in Burbank."

Wait. So, is Disney making VHS tapes sooner than IOTL or not?

Wait. So, is Disney making VHS tapes sooner than IOTL or not?
Kinda. Disney will be placing a greater focus on the home video market ITTL, with the first movies in Walt Disney's Animated Classics releasing in the summer of 1980. The lineup IOTL was live-action films, but Walt sees that the better option is his beloved animated classics. When the sales go through the roof, Disney will rush the rest of their film library our the door. (Oh, and the Vault will not exist, either. Provided you know where to look, you should always be able to buy any major Disney movie in some store ITTL.)

Status
Not open for further replies.