Dawn of the Dead (2004) 15 years after the outbreak...

Note: I will soon make a timeline of the Zack Snyder's 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead based on Thecricketsarecalling's Biggest Fear fanfiction which although non-canon has been accepted by the fandom community as the Spiritual Successor to the remake. This is no way related to @potatogod34's Dawn of the Dead 2017 - A TL.

Here is some in-universe context:

As seen from Andy's Lost Tape and the We Interrupt This Program special feature, the outbreak began on May 6, 2004 and swept the globe in 24 hours. Andy dies on June 6, 2004 after Chips accidentally leads zombies into his gun shop. Nicole carelessly mounts a daring rescue of chips, forcing the mall survivors to go after her. Of course we all know what happens, the mall is compromised and forcing them to leave the mall earlier in reinforced buses. Monica, Steve, Glenn, and CJ are killed. Michael stays behind after it is revealed he is bitten and choses to commit suicide. The boat leaves for an island in Lake Michigan where the island is revealed to have zombies as the camera drops leaving the survivor's to their fate...

Anyways, how would the world be like in May 2004 if the zombie apocalypse occurred? U.S. was involved in Iraq and Afghanistan at this period. China and Russia were mentioned to have a nuclear exchange possibly so that refugees won't cross into the Russian Far East. Turkey, India, and the United Kingdom were reporting the unusual phenomenon around the same time the Heartland Region reported riots and violence on the night of May 6th, 2004. This was also an upcoming election year.

Also worth noting is overtime, the zombies would become slow as decay took their hold. Assuming that all zombies have decomposed by the years between 2009 to 2014, how would the post-apocalyptic world look like? What will the human survivors do the rebuild the planet? How will the 2010s and 2019 look like?

Leave your thoughts below

I always presumed the survivors died on the island, overrun by zombies. Out of food, water and fuel they couldn't have gotten far even if they'd gotten back to the boat.

IIRC in DAY OF THE DEAD it was mentioned that it would take about 20 years for the zombies to decay. IRL flies would lay eggs and maggots would take care of them in a hurry, leaving only swarms of flies for the survivors to deal with. Those zombies hiding in houses or underground would last a bit longer.

Well, we have a few clues as the world during the state of the outbreak, which you already mentioned:
-It was global in 24 hours
-Russia nuked China, or China nuked itself
-Society largely collapsed

The Andy video shows there were definitely survivors and suggests rudimentary power restoration (as the video's opening message says survivors found and reviewed the tape). The question is if there are enough survivors left to restart and maintain society on an sustainable level. Personally, I doubt it. What you'd probably have are isolated pockets slowly repopulating and expanding. But by the time humans have restored their population to decent numbers the artificial world (cities, cars, modern industry) will have largely decayed to worthlessness.

It's probably more realistic to follow a pocket of survivors than a global effort to rebuild the world.

Definitely will be watching this

A full TL based on Biggest Fear fanfiction would be made soon.

Well, we have a few clues as the world during the state of the outbreak, which you already mentioned:
-It was global in 24 hours
-Russia nuked China, or China nuked itself
-Society largely collapsed

The Andy video shows there were definitely survivors and suggests rudimentary power restoration (as the video's opening message says survivors found and reviewed the tape). The question is if there are enough survivors left to restart and maintain society on an sustainable level. Personally, I doubt it. What you'd probably have are isolated pockets slowly repopulating and expanding. But by the time humans have restored their population to decent numbers the artificial world (cities, cars, modern industry) will have largely decayed to worthlessness.

It's probably more realistic to follow a pocket of survivors than a global effort to rebuild the world.

I was more curious what would happen to Afghanistan and Iraq, what would happen to the U.S. and NATO forces there. The news report mentions mass suicide in the Middle East. China could have fallen to a civil war for sure. Australia mentioned to have a quarantine but they will have to deal with refugees from Indonesia.

The President and probably members of the cabinet evacuated to Cold War bunkers across America.

Also important to note that the zombies would eventually be slow as the decay goes on. I'm assuming the outbreak ends somewhere between 2011-2014.

I was more curious what would happen to Afghanistan and Iraq, what would happen to the U.S. and NATO forces there.
The defense secretary said overseas deployments were remaining in place. However, given how fast and destructive the outbreak was there probably wasn't time for the government to revisit that decision. Since the Middle East was engulfed in mass suicides and more than likely the collapse of society, it's possible you had pockets of US and NATO survivors in well fortified bases but they would only survive as long as the supplies held. You might have heavily armored convoys going into populated areas for foraging but they would more than likely be overwhelmed by the undead and only increase their numbers in the process.

In short, it's not a pretty or long story.

China could have fallen to a civil war for sure.
Could be either way. I'm sure the regime has numerous plans for civil uprising or disorder that could be applied to a zombie apocalypse, but likely everyone else they'll only last as long as the bullets do - and China is the most populated country on Earth. They probably don't do much better than the stranded Western forces.

Australia mentioned to have a quarantine but they will have to deal with refugees from Indonesia.
This is assuming that Australia wasn't destroyed from the inside out. It was never said what happened or what caused the outbreak short of vague mentions of a "disease" but it appeared to happen all over at once. Those Indonesian refugees may very well get the same welcome Ana and Co. got.

The President and probably members of the cabinet evacuated to Cold War bunkers across America.
It was mentioned they were evacuated from Washington to a secure location. But, again, they'll only last as long as the bullets and supplies do. And since the zombies seem to sense where humans are, it won't take long before they're surrounded.

Also important to note that the zombies would eventually be slow as the decay goes on. I'm assuming the outbreak ends somewhere between 2011-2014.
I'm actually thinking the outbreak would have ended before Christmas. The zombies were looking pretty nasty and degraded by the end of the film and it had only been one month. Factor in that it's summer in the northern hemisphere and they'll be rotting even faster.

The problem is - you're simply not going to get the stories you want in this scenario. By the time we have the setting everyone loves for zombie stories - the total collapse of human society and small groups running from ever growing hordes of zombies - humanity is basically done. I'd suggest doing your own zombie apocalypse TL, or focusing on a band of survivors as I said earlier if you want to be in the DOTD universe.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone read the graphic novel adaptation of the original night of the living dead? Though there moments that are excessively graphic and even tasteless imo, the series did have a great storyline, especially when it came to d.c. during the summer of 1968.

I have an idea for a direct sequel to the original notld, but it expands like the first dawn of the dead and the notld comics, builds up like fear the walking dead but at a slower pace for some part, and begins circa 1966-1968. The best title I have at this moment is fear the living dead..haha.

I do intend on working on this through out the year. I guess I should get batteries for my voice recorder and maybe a new tablet.

Gillan1220 said:

It was mentioned they were evacuated from Washington to a secure location. But, again, they'll only last as long as the bullets and supplies do. And since the zombies seem to sense where humans are, it won't take long before they're surrounded.

I really appreciated the fact that the government rep (just before flying off to safety) told people not to try and hide in their homes but leave and find "a safe haven." Without bothering to say where those were, or if they even existed. Remember, many of the mall refugees came from a camp that was overrun...

Kinda off topic, but has anyone read the graphic novel adaptation of the original night of the living dead? Though there moments that are excessively graphic and even tasteless imo, the series did have a great storyline, especially when it came to d.c. during the summer of 1968.

Is that the one where Barbara runs into a stalker, and ends up with a "Family"? I did read the novel of the movie, very spooky...

Without bothering to say where those were, or if they even existed.
They actually did try. If you remember the prologue of the film the radio has been completely taken over by the EBS which is listing off evacuation centers, safe havens and status updates for the Milwaukee area. The problem is that the outbreak was so total and fast that the failing threads of society couldn't keep up with it.

I really appreciated the fact that the government rep (just before flying off to safety) told people not to try and hide in their homes but leave and find "a safe haven." Without bothering to say where those were, or if they even existed. Remember, many of the mall refugees came from a camp that was overrun...

Is that the one where Barbara runs into a stalker, and ends up with a "Family"? I did read the novel of the movie, very spooky...

I think so, the last one I remember reading was taking place in the western us that had a Manson like family group solemnly up to no good.

They actually did try. If you remember the prologue of the film the radio has been completely taken over by the EBS which is listing off evacuation centers, safe havens and status updates for the Milwaukee area. The problem is that the outbreak was so total and fast that the failing threads of society couldn't keep up with it.

Don't remember that. In the original the TV station was running a list of safe havens. The female lead complained to her boss that the list was outdated, some of them had already been overrun. The boss told her to keep running the list lest they lose watchers.

I think so, the last one I remember reading was taking place in the western us that had a Manson like family group solemnly up to no good.

The one I read she ended up in Washington DC WITH Manson and his family, killing ghouls...

Nice explanation @USSManhattan very well said!

However, there are points I must add. Those Cold War bunkers around the U.S. such as Mount Weather, Cheyenne Mountain, STRATCOM Bunker, and Site R will be well isolated and fortified that zombies won't breach. If it was built to withstand all but a direct nuclear attack, then now decayed arms or claws would destroy those blast proof doors. Even the President and/or the cabinet could even be evacuated aboard Air Force One or the E-4B or to carriers and submarines off the coast (I wonder why everyone always discounts the U.S. Navy).

The map in the Special Features only shows the CONUS, Hawaii and Alaska are not included along with the territories of Puerto Rico, Marianas, Guam, American Samoa, and U.S. Virgin Islands. I could P.R. and VI gone knowing too close the Caribbean. Guam, Marianas, and American Samoa could have survived since they are deep in the Pacific. My guess Hawaii becomes like WWZ where the government makes their stand. Alaska would hold out too since the cold would freeze the undead. Lower Canada is gone but the northern provinces could hold out.

There is implication that the virus is supernatural as stated by the producers/directors/script writers. Hell if you noticed, the zombies have some degree of intelligence such as holding propane tanks, using pipes to monkey bar, and even show some emotions.

As for this TL, I will base it on the fanfiction of thecricketsarecalling but with other elements in play.

I'd suggest doing your own zombie apocalypse TL, or focusing on a band of survivors as I said earlier if you want to be in the DOTD universe.

In the meantime, I am doing my own zombie apocalypse TL. It is called Through Rough Times, cowritten by me and @Ukron. In my zombie apocalypse story, I'll make it realistic so while the outbreak spreads to global proportions, humanity will prevail. It borrows elements from World War Z, Highschool of the Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, and other pop fiction.

Link here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...e-a-collab-tl-by-gillan1220-and-ukron.463309/

However, there are points I must add. Those Cold War bunkers around the U.S. such as Mount Weather, Cheyenne Mountain, STRATCOM Bunker, and Site R will be well isolated and fortified that zombies won't breach. If it was built to withstand all but a direct nuclear attack, then now decayed arms or claws would destroy those blast proof doors. Even the President and/or the cabinet could even be evacuated aboard Air Force One or the E-4B or to carriers and submarines off the coast (I wonder why everyone always discounts the U.S. Navy).
You're missing what I said. The problem isn't the building itself, it's the supplies. You can have the strongest, safest, most indestructible fortification on Earth... and won't matter jack once the food runs out. The film in fact showed this happening with Andy, and we saw what happened to him.

As for AF1 or the carriers... again, the fuel will run out. The food will run out. The government can keep running but eventually it will starve. Perhaps you have a chance on a well-fortified isolated island that has a temperate climate for growing food, but the chances are still grim.

The map in the Special Features only shows the CONUS, Hawaii and Alaska are not included along with the territories of Puerto Rico, Marianas, Guam, American Samoa, and U.S. Virgin Islands. I could P.R. and VI gone knowing too close the Caribbean. Guam, Marianas, and American Samoa could have survived since they are deep in the Pacific. My guess Hawaii becomes like WWZ where the government makes their stand. Alaska would hold out too since the cold would freeze the undead. Lower Canada is gone but the northern provinces could hold out.
The press secretary said that the state of emergency was in effect for everyone ("including all overseas dependencies and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico") so we can assume either they too are being overrun, have already been overrun, or otherwise the situation is so bad that there's no real hope for civilian control. He also said that the crisis was global, so the chances that any nation escaping is remote.

There is implication that the virus is supernatural as stated by the producers/directors/script writers. Hell if you noticed, the zombies have some degree of intelligence such as holding propane tanks, using pipes to monkey bar, and even show some emotions.
I've never heard that, but I know that Robert Kirkman refuses to disclose the reason, as do the producers of the series. As for zombies using or doing things, I think it was probably inconsistency and for comedic effect (like the aforementioned tank holder and one zombie reacting to being shot in the leg).

I've noticed you really want to borrow from other zombie media... why not do your own timeline with your own thoughts? Then you can tell whatever story you want. Your rules, your universe, all you.

I've noticed you really want to borrow from other zombie media... why not do your own timeline with your own thoughts? Then you can tell whatever story you want. Your rules, your universe, all you.

Most zombie media deserve their attention and have an alternate history of their own like Resident Evil and Dawn of the Dead. Someone already did a timeline for The Walking Dead. Plus, my timeline with @Ukron is more or less original (even bordering a personal perspective), only borrows some pop-culture references. The scenario I made will be realistic like zombies decay in two-three months and the zombie apocalypse is not absolute.

Last edited:
Guam is doomed because almost everything is imported, especially food. I was born there and lived there in the mid-70's (when people ask what the hell is wrong with me I just tell them "puberty on Guam").

Unlike Hawaii there is no fishing fleet and very little local farming. No cattle, only a few water oxen and a handful of wild pigs/goats. Mom tried to grow tomatoes and corn, heavy rains smashed the plants just before they were ready to harvest and almost everything was lost.