The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

There is no Anti-Muslim propaganda from the Italians; there is a LOT of Anti-Arab propaganda. Libyan Arabs are taught they are Pheocenians and descendants of Rome. As it gets them rights equal to the Colonists, a lot of Libyan Arabs have taken to the idea.

Interesting tactic, but quite effective - not only will this mute a source of unrest among the Libyans, it will encourage the true assimilation of the Libyans Arabs into the Italian/"Roman" cultural identity.

As god-awful as the mess in the Middle East is... I can't help but wonder if it will have more clearcut boundaries in the meantime.

An Israel with defendable borders and demographics.

All those various religious minorities on the Syrian coast are now under Turkish, not Sunni Arab, rule.

The Syrian remnant will likely have to join Iraq, giving us a unified Sunni Arab state.

Iran has much bigger problems than the Shah.

All we need is Lebanon to sort itself out, and if you look past the giant clusterfuck of the wars and expulsions in the 40s, I almost wonder if nothing else goes wrong, if the Middle East might be, if not peaceful, more stable ITTL.

Libyan Arabs are taught they are Pheocenians and descendants of Rome. As it gets them rights equal to the Colonists, a lot of Libyan Arabs have taken to the idea.

I wonder if the Italians manage to break the near-universal Arabic language diglossia in Libya, standardizing local "dialect", maybe even switching to the Latin script - this would not be popular among Libyan intelligentsia, but OTOH it's not like 100% of the people are literate. Maybe Italian linguists discover that Maltese and Libyan are a part of an otherwise extinct language family, no sir, really not related to classical Arabic, not at all. Although Maltese is not really close to Libyan, the new standard Libyan orthography could be modeled on the Maltese one... and in a generation or two, you have a new language and a new ethnicity (see OTL Moldavian SSR).

It must not be forgotten the mass of Jewish suffering that encompassed the Middle East as a result of Israel’s establishment. In Egypt, the desperately unpopular King Farouk made a last grasp to preserve his power. On January 23rd, he enacted a law decreeing Jewish residents to be enemy aliens and renouncing their citizenship. By the end of the year, the 75,000 strong Jewish population of Egypt had gone. While Farouk preserved his leadership in the short-term, the resulting economic contraction of the loss of so many skilled workers and artisans (not to mention the immediate and total embargo such a move created from the Roman Alliance and Britain) would ultimately result in his downfall anyway. Similar expulsion orders rang out across the Middle East in short order. These were often met with streams of mob violence against Jewish citizens who could trace their ancestry in their native countries for hundreds of years. This string of violence peaked in late 1949 at the news of the conviction and execution of the Grand Mufti (whose last words were, ‘That my one life has led to the obliteration of so many Jews, it has been a boundless success.’). The Mufti’s martyrdom would light a boundless fire of Anti-Semitism across the region. Though riots within Israel were quickly stamped out (and often used as an excuse by the Lehi to continue their actions), the rest of the Middle East only grew more resistant. Attempts by Israel at this time to divide the Arabs between Christians and Muslims or Shia and Sunni were failures; Arab nationalism was the order of the day. By the early 50s, Jews had been almost entirely removed from the Middle Eastern region outside of Israel, South Iran and Libya. Jewish communities that had existed for centuries had vanished in the space of a few years as a result of pogroms and state expulsion. This number was close to one million, which ironically gave more than enough settlers for the Israelis to fulfill their territorial ambitions. The main settlement areas were in and around Jerusalem, Hebron and Amman, the former two both becoming some 90% Jewish by the time of the Second Arabian War.

This sounds like the whole middle east is going to be even more of a destructive and hate-filled mess than OTL.

Ultimately, it was all for naught. Beria was accused, of all things, of being a ‘Zionist agent for the Fascist Israeli state’ in December 1949 and shot under Stalin’s orders. Unfortunately, Beria’s death was not enough to liberate the Jews stranded in the cruel colds of Siberia.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. A pity he did not die sooner.

Is the soviet union more repressive than OTL across the board or is it currently especially focused on repressing Poles and Jews? How badly are the populations of the Baltic states and Finland being treated?

Is their any major pushback to this?

From whom? The only nearby Catholic country which is not part of the RA is France, which is busy rebuilding itself after a nazi occupation and subsequently being a battleground. The Vatican needs to play ball and bide it's time, at least until one of the South American countries becomes a world power. Sadly, Brazil has already missed that boat by now and the others have far less likely chances.

All we need is Lebanon to sort itself out, and if you look past the giant clusterfuck of the wars and expulsions in the 40s, I almost wonder if nothing else goes wrong, if the Middle East might be, if not peaceful, more stable ITTL.

Given the hints pertaining to the 'Second Arabian War' and the already vicious hatred between Jew and Arab, I'm going out on a limb here and supposing that any peace in the middle east in this timeline starts with the phrase 'they made a desert'.

As god-awful as the mess in the Middle East is... I can't help but wonder if it will have more clearcut boundaries in the meantime.

An Israel with defendable borders and demographics.

All those various religious minorities on the Syrian coast are now under Turkish, not Sunni Arab, rule.

The Syrian remnant will likely have to join Iraq, giving us a unified Sunni Arab state.

Iran has much bigger problems than the Shah.

Middle East is indeed real mess. Syria is now totally landlocked nation and totally in mercy of Iraq. But it will not be easy even for Iraq when there is still Shia majority in Snni dominated nation. And I would be surprised if we don't see Lebanese Civil War very soon. And Yemen might be too very messy place.

And we know that there will be more wars between Israel and Arab nations. Hopefully Israel never use its nuclear weapons.

From whom? The only nearby Catholic country which is not part of the RA is France, which is busy rebuilding itself after a nazi occupation and subsequently being a battleground. The Vatican needs to play ball and bide it's time, at least until one of the South American countries becomes a world power. Sadly, Brazil has already missed that boat by now and the others have far less likely chances.
Well, the Church is it’s own independent entity with factions aplenty. I doubt everyone in the Catholic Church is pleased with the blatant attempts by the Facists to attach themselves to them.

I wonder if the Italians manage to break the near-universal Arabic language diglossia in Libya, standardizing local "dialect", maybe even switching to the Latin script - this would not be popular among Libyan intelligentsia, but OTOH it's not like 100% of the people are literate. Maybe Italian linguists discover that Maltese and Libyan are a part of an otherwise extinct language family, no sir, really not related to classical Arabic, not at all. Although Maltese is not really close to Libyan, the new standard Libyan orthography could be modeled on the Maltese one... and in a generation or two, you have a new language and a new ethnicity (see OTL Moldavian SSR).
Well having equal rights still requires you to actually use them. How do you do that if you can't fill out gouvernment forms and the like?
For example a Lybian Arab having the same rights as an Italian Settler means they can start a business, engage in commerce, have their contracts enforced, etc same as an Italian could. But that still requires them to fill out license applications, correspond with business partners in Italy, read legal documents, etc etc. For that they'd need to learn Italian including the Latin script. You can even argue that's not discrimination, given that illiterate Italians would be treated the same.

Wallace: no world leader can ever sabotage their own county as hard as me
Stalin: hold my vodka
Well given that the two top champions in this field are in hell and can no longer compete, the fight for the succession to the Dumbass Throne is very fierce naturally.

What local intelligentsia? Libya had some 744000 Arab inhabitants in 1939, it's a very small population, 2% of the total population of Italy and with colonists they're getting to become a minority even in Libya. Libyan literacy rate was estimated to be around 60% in early 1980's, after decades of investment in education.

On MENA region in general, what is often not grasped is the rapid population growth in the region in past decades. In OTL 1948 Egypt had some 19,5 million inhabitants, Iraq 4,7, Syria 3, Saudi-Arabia 3,1, Jordan 1,2, Iran 16... Compared to European states their population was quite small and oil was not yet a pot of gold it would become later on.

Last edited:
I wonder how science fiction of the 1950s will turn out ITTL?

Probably, other than the early birth of italian science-fiction, we could see the print of Urania just as OTL, maybe before 1952. Urania is a collection of sci-fi novels from all around the world, still published today. In the first years most of the authors were british and from the USA, but now we have had novels from France, Italy and even China.
A distinctive aspect of those small books were their covers, usually of good artistic quality. One of the first painters of those covers (they looked like paintings more than simple drawings) was Curt Caesar (real name Kurt Kaiser), a german who started as a cartoonist in the 40s in Italy, drawing airplanes for comics.

Under here, a photo of Curt Caesar and some of his covers for Urania.
caesarinizio.jpg

urania-caesar.jpg

Last edited:
Probably, other than the early birth of italian science-fiction, we could see the print of Urania just as OTL, maybe before 1952. Urania is a collection of sci-fi novels from all around the world, still published today. In the first years most of the authors were british and from the USA, but now we hava had novels from France, italy and even China.
A distinctive aspect of those small books were their covers, usually of good artistic quality. One of the first painters of those covers (they looked like paintings more than simple drawings) was Curt Caesar (real name Kurt Kaiser), a german who started as a cartoonist in the 40s in Italy, drawing airplanes for comics.

Under here, a photo o Curt Caesar and some of his covers for Urania.

\SNIP\
Uhuh, that's a possibility Indeed.

I want to add that it'd be interesting if Futurism as an art style bleeds out of "regime art" and becomes neutral again. Would definitely be a good fit for softer and optimistic sci-fi or military tales.

Hell, maybe Depero gets to have a comeback before dying in 1960.

A Roman leader promoting Punic heritage amongst his North African Semitic subjects?

The spinning coming from Cato's grave could probably provide a substantial portion of Rome's electrical needs...

Last edited:
I wonder how science fiction of the 1950s will turn out ITTL?
It is a period of civil war.
Traitor starships, striking
from a hidden base, have backstabbed
the benovolent Galactic Empire.

During the battle, insidius
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the Pacification
Star, an armored space
station with enough power to
scare the Rebellion into submission.

Pursing the Traitors
sinister agents, Princess
Adeleia races after them aboard her
starship, to reclaim the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
order to the galaxy....

It is a period of civil war.
Traitor starships, striking
from a hidden base, have backstabbed
the benovolent Galactic Empire.

During the battle, insidius
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the Pacification
Star, an armored space
station with enough power to
scare the Rebellion into submission.

Pursing the Traitors
sinister agents, Princess
Adeleia races after them aboard her
starship, to reclaim the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
order to the galaxy....
I love it. An alternate take on Star Wars.

Honestly given the backlash against the USSR in America at this point I wouldn't be shocked if the Empire took on a more Stalinist quality, at least in how the characters talked to each other.
I suspect Star War will still be pro freedom and Rebel as the protagonist faction. But instead the empire will be allegory to soviet union (Galactic Union).

Or maybe Star Wars could show a three way divided between a Republic (Western Allies), an Empire (Fascist Italy) and another Empire (USSR).

The Fascist Italy allegory is friendly to the Republic, but largely out of realpolitik.

That being said the Clone Wars could be the Republic, the Italian-allegory Empire and Soviet-allegory Empire going up against a Confederacy being a Nazi Germany allegory.