The Beatles Don't Break Up in 1970 - A Timeline

Thank you so much for the compliment. Not sure about Maxwells Silver Hammer though, we'll have to see. Anyway, on with the timeline:

December 1963 - Marsha Albert, a teenager living in the Washington DC area, writes to WWDC DJ Carroll James asking him to play a Beatles record. The Beatles' first TV appearance in the US was on The Huntley-Brinkley Report aired by NBC News on November 18. Albert watches the CBS Evening News on the 10th which features the group. She recalls later, "I wrote that I thought they would be really popular here, and if he could get one of their records, that would really be great." As The Beatles' latest single, "I Want To Hold Your Hand", has not been released in the US yet, James has a UK pressing of the single flown over from Britain. He subsequently plays the record on his radio show. The song immediately provokes a positive reaction from the station's listeners, and it is put in heavy rotation on WWDC. James sends a tape of the song to a DJ in Chicago, who in turn sends it to a DJ in St. Louis. The song has a positive reaction in those cities as well. The rapidly growing popularity of the song catches the eye of EMI's affiliate in the US, Capitol Records.

December 26, 1963 - "I Want To Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There" is released in the US as Capitol 5112. Being EMI's affiliate in the US, Capitol Records has had rights of first refusal on all EMI artists, something that they've exercised on every one of the group's releases in the US to this point, saying in a memo that “We don’t think the Beatles will do anything in this market.” Brian Epstein and EMI recently convinced Capitol to finally release a Beatles single in the US, and the label committed to releasing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" on January 13th. However, the growing popularity brought on by WWDC's playing of the record causes Capitol to release the single on this date two weeks early. Both of the label's pressing plants in Scranton, PA and Los Angeles shift into high gear to keep up with the astronomically high demand. The song immediately enters the US charts, debuting on the Cash Box Top 100 at the #80 slot on January 11th. It reaches the #1 spot just two weeks later. The song also reaches #1 in Billboard and Music Vendor. Beatlemania has taken hold in America.

January 10, 1964 - Introducing... The Beatles is released in the US as Vee-Jay 1062, the group's first album release in America. The album is a reissue of Please Please Me, only missing "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You" due to the fact that American pop albums only have six tracks per side instead of seven.

January 20, 1964 - Meet The Beatles is released in the US as Capitol 2047. The album is mostly a reissue of With The Beatles. However, Capitol removes all of the cover songs with the exception of "Till There Was You" in fear that the American public would be turned off by remakes. Replacing the cover songs are both tracks off the "I Want To Hold Your Hand" single and "This Boy".
All great, but how does the albums chart US? Both No.1?

January 1964 - February 1964
January 30, 1964 - "Please Please Me" b/w "From Me To You" is released in the US as Vee-Jay 581. This a a soft re-release of the single that came out last year, only with a different B-Side. This single has no trouble charting this time, making it to the #3 spot in Billboard. It is kept out of the #1 spot by two other Beatles records.

February 7, 1964 - The British Invasion officially begins as the Beatles land at JFK Airport where thousands of fans are waiting for them, thanks to heavy promotion by New York City radio stations. At first the Beatles think that the president's plane is about to land, but they quickly realize that the reception is all for them. After going through customs and immigration, the group holds a rather hectic (at and times humorous) press conference at the Pan Am gate. After this, the group is taken to their hotel.

February 9, 1964 - The Beatles perform live on The Ed Sullivan Show. The broadcast is viewed by an estimated 73.7 million people nationwide, setting an all-time record for television viewership. This performance seals their place in music history.

February 11, 1964 - The Beatles perform their first concert in the US at the Washington Coliseum in Washington DC. A film is made of the concert by CBS, which is released in US theaters on March 14th.

February 18, 1964 - The Beatles meet Muhammad Ali, then known as Cassius Clay, at his training facility in Miami, FL.

February 25, 1964 - Back in England, The Beatles start recording songs for their next album and soon to be started film, A Hard Day's Night.

March 1964 - April 1964
March 2, 1964 - "Twist And Shout" b/w "There's A Place" is released in the US as Tollie 9001. The single goes on to make the #1 spot on the Cash Box chart. That same day, filming begins for A Hard Day's Night. George Harrison meets actress Pattie Boyd whom he immediately takes a liking to. They begin dating shortly thereafter.

March 16, 1964 - "Can't Buy Me Love" b/w "You Can't Do That" is released in the US as Capitol 5150. It becomes their third #1 single in the US.

March 20, 1964 - "Can't Buy Me Love" b/w "You Can't Do That" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5114. The single goes to #1 in that country, their fifth single to do so.

March 23, 1964 - "Do You Want To Know A Secret" b/w "Thank You Girl" is released in the US as Vee-Jay 587. The single peaks at #2 in Billboard. That same day, John Lennon's first book, In His Own Write, is published. It contains 31 stories and pen drawing by Lennon with an introduction by Paul McCartney.

April 4, 1964 - The Beatles occupy all top five spots on the US Billboard Hot 100, the first time any singing group has done so. Two of them are Capitol releases, and the other three are from other labels.

April 10, 1964 - The Beatles' Second Album is released in the US as Capitol 2080. The album consists of songs which were left off Meet The Beatles in addition to to songs which were recently released by Capitol. The album was put together in response to high demand for a follow-up Beatles album.

April 24, 1964 - Filming wraps up for A Hard Day's Night.

Last edited:
April 1964 - July 1964
April 27, 1964 - "Love Me Do" b/w "P.S. I Love You" is released in the US as Tollie 9008. This comes a whole 18 months after the UK release of the single. The goes to #1, making this their fourth single to do so in the US.

May 6, 1964 - The Around The Beatles TV special, taped on April 28, airs in the UK on the ITV network. One of the segments features The Beatles performing a spoof of a scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream. Note: Simply hilarious!

May 21, 1964 - "Sie Liebt Dich (She Loves You)" b/w "I'll Get You" is released in the US as Swan 4182. The Beatles recorded this German-language version back on January 29th along with a German-language version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand". With Beatlemania still running rampant in the US, record companies were eager to release any Beatles material they could, and this is a good example of that. This single charts for only one week at #97 on the Billboard Hot 100.

June 4, 1964 - The Beatles commence a world tour, starting in Copenhagen, Denmark. Ringo went to the hospital with tonsillitis and pharyngitis a day earlier, so temporary replacement Jimmy Nichol fills in as drummer.

June 14, 1964 - After recovering from his illness, Ringo rejoins the group on their tour in Melbourne, Australia.

June 26, 1964 - The album A Hard Day's Night is released in the US as United Artists 3366. As UA is the distributor of the film, this album is very much a soundtrack album, with all the songs from the film plus one that didn't make it in, "I'll Cry Instead". Also included are four orchestral instrumentals by George Martin and his orchestra.

July 6, 1964 - The film A Hard Day's Night premieres at the London Pavilion Theatre. The premiere is attended by The Beatles, who wrapped up their world tour on June 30th, along with their wives and girlfriends. Also in attendance are Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon.

Sounds a fair bit like OTL so far.. but with Julia still alive I can just sense the butterflies getting ready to flap their wings.

No additions to the timeline today but I have a question for you all. The reply by flippikat has me thinking. John is not scheduled to meet (or in the case of TTL, not meet) Yoko until November 1966. We've also gone for just about six years in the timeline without any major changes, the last one being keeping Julia alive, which hasn't really affected things to my knowledge. I'd like to make some major change between now and November 1966 but I don't know what. Do you people have any suggestions as to what major change I should make?

No additions to the timeline today but I have a question for you all. The reply by flippikat has me thinking. John is not scheduled to meet (or in the case of TTL, not meet) Yoko until November 1966. We've also gone for just about six years in the timeline without any major changes, the last one being keeping Julia alive, which hasn't really affected things to my knowledge. I'd like to make some major change between now and November 1966 but I don't know what. Do you people have any suggestions as to what major change I should make?

Have they met Bob Dylan and has he introduced them to weed already?

One thing you could also do is that butterflies change the outcome of the 1965 Philippine elections, meaning that the Fabs aren't kicked out of the country in 1966 (which helped justify their decision to quit touring). ;)

Have they met Bob Dylan and has he introduced them to weed already?

One thing you could also do is that butterflies change the outcome of the 1965 Philippine elections, meaning that the Fabs aren't kicked out of the country in 1966 (which helped justify their decision to quit touring). ;)

I've just checked, and no, they have not met Dylan, though that event is coming up. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Even though I am a Beatles fan, I can only know so much. As for the Phillipines, that seems like long shot even for the butterflies but I'll consider it.

Some possible other PODs...

* John & George don't get their coffees spiked with LSD by their dentist in mid 1965. So, maybe a slower-developing influence from LSD.

* John doesn't get offered a part in 'How I won the War' and stays in London after the 1966 USA Tour ends. What projects could he have thrown himself into in Swinging London late 1966? What would that mean to his marriage if he was out and about?

* George doesn't get so immersed in Indian music. In OTL the story goes that the Byrds turned him on to it.. but what if they get him into free jazz or something else that means he stays focused on improving his guitar skills between 1966 and 1968? In OTL, George buried himself in Indian music, often leaving Paul to overdub guitar solos in the studio.. only really returning to a guitar focus when he found his skill in slide guitar.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture...-music-at-LSD-party-Byrds-singer-reveals.html

* Paul has something happen that brings about writer's block.. like maybe he and Jane break-up earlier due to his 'on tour' indescretions, leaving him in a mild depression? In OTL, he was hitting a real 'purple patch' of songwriting - and ideas- through 1966-7.. maybe a downturn for Paul similar to John's early-1969? (Some of OTL's Paul songs from 1966-67 could be delayed to late 1967 or 1968 in that scenario). That means more focus on John to come up with ideas..and more opportunities for George to offer songs. I know 'The Art of Dying' was written around 1966, there may be others George could offer up around that time.

Last edited:
July 1964 - August 1964 ("A Hard Day's Night" released)
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've also changed the title of the thread to more accurately reflect my goal. And now, on with the timeline:

July 10, 1964 - The album A Hard Day's Night is released in the UK. This much more of a Beatles album than the one released in the US, which was more of a soundtrack album. The album becomes their third #1 album in the UK. On the same day, "A Hard Day's Night" b/w "Things We Said Today" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5160. The song goes to #1, their sixth to do so. Also, the film A Hard Day's Night has it's Liverpool premiere. Note: "Matchbox" has been added to Side 2 ITTL to give Ringo his customary song (thanks Lafayette_!). By the way, I'm only posting the track listings from the UK albums, since Capitol in the US had a nasty habit of slightly altering the content of the albums.

"A Hard Day's Night"
Parlophone 1230

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney except where noted.

SIDE 1
1. A Hard Day's Night
2. I Should Have Known Better
3. If I Fell
4. I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
5. And I Love Her
6. Tell Me Why
7. Can't Buy Me Love

SIDE 2
1. Any Time At All
2. I'll Cry Instead
3. Things We Said Today
4. When I Get Home
5. You Can't Do That
6. Matchbox (Perkins)
7. I'll Be Back

July 13, 1964 - "A Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should've Known Better" is released in the US as Capitol 5222. It immediately enters the charts and goes to #1 in Billboard. The B-Side charts as well, making it to the #53 position.

July 20, 1964 - The album Something New is released in the US as Capitol 2108. The album consists of eight songs from the A Hard Day's Night soundtrack, released a month earlier, along with a few others. On the same day, Capitol releases two Beatles singles, "And I Love Her" b/w "If I Fell" with the catalog number 5235, and "I'll Cry Instead" b/w "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" with the catalog number 5234. "And I Love Her" goes to #12 on the Hot 100, while "I'll Cry Instead" goes to #25.

August 18, 1964 - The Beatles travel to San Francisco to commence a 25-date tour of the US.

August 24, 1964 - "Matchbox" b/w "Slow Down" is released in the US as Capitol 5255. The song charts more modestly than the other songs released by Capitol to this point, peaking out at #17.

August 28, 1964 - During some down time from their tour in New York City, American folk singer Bob Dylan introduces the group to marijuana. While it makes quite an impression on George and Ringo, as well as Brian Epstein, the same can't be said for John and Paul. Paul says many years later that "... it was just nasty stuff, and [me and John] did not take to it at all. We both agreed that Julia would not want us to be involved in such things, so we simply walked away."

Last edited:
August 28, 1964 - During some down time from their tour in New York City, American folk singer Bob Dylan introduces the group to marijuana. While it makes quite an impression on George and Ringo, as well as Brian Epstein, the same can't be said for John and Paul. Paul says many years later that "... it was just nasty stuff, and [me and John] did not take to it at all. We both agreed that Julia would not want us to be involved in such things, so we simply walked away."

The second change?...

The second change?...

If you're referring to the Philippine elections, I'm still not sure. I'd like them to still quit touring in 1966. Considering the back-to-basics rock direction the group was going in with Abbey Road and Let It Be, I imagine that had they not broken up in 1970 they would've gotten back into touring eventually.

One small change you could possibly add to A Hard Day's Night is the missing 14th track. I read somewhere that it was supposed to be "You Know What To Do", but since the album is one of the the few (if only?) in which Ringo doesn't have a song, "Matchbox" would fit in nicely, too.

One small change you could possibly add to A Hard Day's Night is the missing 14th track. I read somewhere that it was supposed to be "You Know What To Do", but since the album is one of the the few (if only?) in which Ringo doesn't have a song, "Matchbox" would fit in nicely, too.

Again, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. "Matchbox" has now been added to Side 2 of the album.

September 1964 - December 1964 ("Beatles For Sale" released)
September 20, 1964 - The Beatles conclude their North American tour with a performance at a charity concert at the Paramount Theatre in New York City.

October 7, 1964 - The Beatles appear on the British edition of the US television show Shindig, taped on the 3rd.

November 23, 1964 - "I Feel Fine" b/w "She's A Woman" is released in the US as Capitol 5327. The single becomes a double-sided Top Ten hit for the group, with "I Feel Fine" going to #1 (now their sixth) and "She's A Woman" making it to #4. Note: For the US release Capitol Records adds reverb to both sides, which in my opinion sounds better than the lifeless non-reverb version available today.

November 27, 1964 - "I Feel Fine" b/w "She's A Woman" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5200. It becomes their seventh #1 UK hit.

December 1, 1964 - Ringo Starr goes to the University College Hospital in London to have his tonsils taken out. He stays there for 10 days.

December 4, 1964 - The album Beatles For Sale is released in the UK. It becomes their fourth album in a row to make it to the #1 spot on the UK Album chart. Note: Barring any suggestions from you people, this album remains unchanged from OTL.

"Beatles For Sale"
Parlophone 1240

All tracks written by Lennon-McCartney unless otherwise noted

SIDE 1
1. No Reply
2. I'm A Loser
3. Baby's In Black
4. Rock And Roll Music (Berry)
5. I'll Follow The Sun
6. Mr. Moonlight (Johnson)
7. Kansas City/Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey (Lieber-Stoller/Penniman)

SIDE 2
1. Eight Days A Week
2. Words Of Love (Holly)
3. Honey Don't (Perkins)
4. Every Little Thing
5. I Don't Want To Spoil The Party
6. What You're Doing
7. Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby (Perkins)

December 15, 1964 - The album Beatles '65 is released in the US as Capitol 2228. This release is mostly the American version of Beatles For Sale, containing eight tracks from that album. Rounding out the tracklist are both songs from their latest US single ("I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman") along with "I'll Be Back" (a song that was left off Something New). Beatles '65 goes to #1, their fourth album to do so in the US.

February 1965 - May 1965
February 11, 1965 - Ringo Starr marries Maureen Cox at the Caxton Hall Register Office in London. As was the case with John's wedding, Brian Epstein is the best man. Also in attendance are John and George. Paul can't attend as he is on vacation with Jane Asher in Portugal.

February 15, 1965 - "Eight Days A Week" b/w "I Don't Want To Spoil The Party" is released in the US as Capitol 5371. Both tracks are off the UK Beatles For Sale album but were left off Beatles '65. The single heads straight to #1, their eighth total in the US. This coupling is never released in the UK. On the same day, John Lennon passes his driving test in Weybridge, England.

February 23, 1965 - The Beatles commence filming their second major film, Help!, in the Bahamas.

March 22, 1965 - The album The Early Beatles is released in the US as Capitol 2309. The album consists of tracks from the Please Please Me album that had been issued on other labels the year before.

April 9, 1965 - "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Yes It Is" is released in the UK as Parlophone R 5265. Both tracks are from the upcoming Help! album. The single goes to #1, their eighth in the UK.

April 19, 1965 - "Ticket To Ride" b/w "Yes It Is" is released in the US as Capitol 5407. The label on both sides mentions that the tracks are "From the United Artists Release Eight Arms To Hold You". That has been the working title of the movie Help! up to earlier that month. Regardless, only the A-Side makes it into the final cut of the movie. The single heads to #1, their ninth in the US.

May 11, 1965 - The Beatles wrap up filming Help!.

Last edited: