Proposed flags that were never adopted thread

nz!pro4.gif

I think this one is my favorite of the NZ proposals. Black/White/Blue is a really nice color combo, I think.
I love that flag, I wish the Kiwis would've adopted that instead of keeping their generic flag that 50 other countries and territories (almost) share (most notably Australia).

projj.gif

proj1.gif

proj2.gif

proj3.gif

proj4.gif

8_star.gif

8_star1.gif

Various proposals for the flag of Kazakhstan submitted when the flag contest was announced right after the declaration of independence.

Speaking of which, the original version of the current Kazakhstan flag was also slightly different: it had red ornament instead of yellow and the eagle was left to the center.

kz11.gif

Yeah, there were plenty of good choices in this referendum. But nope, gotta keep the Union Jack... ok people, it's your country, but I find this conservatism a bit disappointing.

I personally am for a flag change but I still voted for the current flag because I hated the alternatives that were offered in the referendum.

In 2004, Iraq was planning to change its flag to reflect a post-Saddam Hussein and post-Ba'athist existence. This was the planned proposal. It was hated and burned by many Iraqis because it reminded them of the flag of Israel. As a result the design was abandoned and the current flag design (similar to the previous one but without the stars) was adopted instead.

1200px-Proposed_flag_of_Iraq_%28Coalition_Provisional_Authority%2C_2004%29.svg.png

I love that flag, I wish the Kiwis would've adopted that instead of keeping their generic flag that 50 other countries and territories (almost) share (most notably Australia).
The NZ flag having some similarities to a handful of national flags (also territories and sometimes yacht clubs depending on how hard someone is grafting to make their point) has never struck me as a very compelling argument for change when near half the world’s flags are a variation of a triband and in which Liberia, America and Malaysia coexists.
In 2004, Iraq was planning to change its flag to reflect a post-Saddam Hussein and post-Ba'athist existence. This was the planned proposal. It was hated and burned by many Iraqis because it reminded them of the flag of Israel. As a result the design was abandoned and the current flag design (similar to the previous one but without the stars) was adopted instead.
As much as I think a radical break from the Saddam era would have been good, I can't help but feel a bullet was dodged with that light blue on white design.

Last edited:
Some of the flag proposals for Croatia. Most of the flags are good, but the third and fourth flags just hurt my eyes:

The red and white checkerboard looks like the default Italian restaurant tablecloth XD

More on South Africa. They had a public competition for a new flag in 1993 and these were the finalists. Nobody liked these proposals so the state herald made an interim design which was well received and remains in use.

za!93f1.gif

za!93_02.gif

za!93_04.gif

za!93_05.gif

za!93_06.gif

za!93_07.gif

projj.gif

proj1.gif

proj2.gif

proj3.gif

proj4.gif

8_star.gif

8_star1.gif

Various proposals for the flag of Kazakhstan submitted when the flag contest was announced right after the declaration of independence.

Speaking of which, the original version of the current Kazakhstan flag was also slightly different: it had red ornament instead of yellow and the eagle was left to the center.

kz11.gif
Three and five look reasonable

I know Kosovo had many proposed flags that were never used. Some bad and some that look pretty interesting to be fairly honest.

rs!kosc5.gif

Besnik Nuli's proposed flags
Flag 1 of Nuli's creation looks almost identical to the current flag we know that is of Kosovo, being that it literally is made in the geographic detailed shape of Kosovo while being in the same blue background (in a different blue shade, but close enough though to be somewhat similar to the one we know). As for the one of the right for Flag 2, I assume Besnik Nuli took inspiration from Bulgaria's flag but with the colors of the Albanian people instead....
.​

The first one with the black underneath gives me an anarchist vibe. Which given how Kosovo supposedly was in the first few years, might have been ironically (and sadly) fitting.

I assume Besnik Nuli took inspiration from Serbia's flag for Flag 2 since the colour order is the same (Red-Blue-White for Serbia and Red-Black-White for his second flag). Which makes sense since Kosovo was seceding from Serbia and this might have been Besnik Nuli's nod to Kosovo gaining independence from Serbia and also as a way to be somewhat inclusive of the Serbian minority.

I think this one is my favorite of the NZ proposals. Black/White/Blue is a really nice color combo, I think.

I still think this was the best proposal for Australia. Granted it might just be because I like thin stripes at or near the bottom of solidly colored flags.

For those of you interested, these flags inspired me to create modified designs which I think might fit the desired goals a bit better. See them here.

The NZ flag having some similarities to a handful of national flags (also territories and sometimes yacht clubs depending on how hard someone is grafting to make their point) has never struck me as a very compelling argument for change when near half the world’s flags are a variation of a triband and in which Liberia, America and Malaysia coexists.

Not to mention Romania and Chad, and Monaco, Indonesia and Poland.