Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

The 1700 map is really impressive. Great job. The only thing I think it's missing is some indication of the Native American and Australian Aboriginal nations (besides the Haudenosaunee). I know it's hard to find borders for them, but you can at least show general cultural areas.

Last edited:
NorthSea-1066.png

A fairly historically accurate map of the North Sea upon the death of Edward the Confessor in 1066 - made using the RCS Color Scheme by @LSCatilina. I unfortunately could not find any reliable subdivisions for the Holy Roman Empire around this time and since it's not the focus of this map I decided not to bother with it.

Vaguely inspired by what Viralword posted, here's my attempt at an approximation as to what the HRE looked like in 1032; I didn't change the coastlines, but the internals should be mostly accurate. Lighter outlines denote marches. I used THICC:
Style 1:
upload_2019-6-2_19-35-13.png

Style 2:
upload_2019-6-2_19-35-27.png

Here is the Empire of the Romans/Byzantines for ya'll, circa 867 AD or 6376 AM in their calendar. Basíleios has just murdered Mikhaēl and has been proclaimed Emperor and Autocrat of the Romans. I recently have had a reinvigorated interest of the 9th century. The Coastlines are handmade. Feel free to use the coastlines for your own base-maps.

View attachment 379729

View attachment 410254

Based off of @Pressedflowers excellent Byzantine map, I made one for the glorious Basileia tōn Rhōmaiōn in 700 AD during the rule of Tiberios III and shortly before the return and second reign of Ioustinianos II Rhinotmetos.

I’ve been doing some reading on Justinian II and I’m honestly shocked that his reign isn’t more widely known. He was an interesting and energetic man with a pretty interesting revenge story that got out of hand. @Sargon has a quite old but very fascinating thread about the man, it inspired me to go ahead and make this.

EDIT: Incorporated some minor changes proposed by @LSCatilina

Continuing the saga, I have made a map of the Empire of the Romans circa the reign of Konstantinos IX Monomachos (NOTE: Italy is incorrect)

1045Byzantines.png

EDIT: I was on a roll and I decided to go ahead and make two more: one for 1081 AD at the start of the reign of Alexios I Komnenos, and one for the end of his reign in 1118 AD. Note: the blue outline surrounding the territories near Antioch in the 1081 AD map are supposed to represent the control of the Strategos of Antioch, Philaretos Brachamios (Vahram Varajnuni) and his nominal allegiance to Alexios I while he held out against the Turks.

1081Byzantines.png

1118Byzantines.png

At this point perhaps we could go ahead and develop a thread for QBAM Byzantine maps...

Last edited:
Continuing the saga, I have made a map of the Empire of the Romans circa the reign of Konstantinos IX Monomachos

View attachment 463879

EDIT: I was on a roll and I decided to go ahead and make two more: one for 1081 AD at the start of the reign of Alexios I Komnenos, and one for the end of his reign in 1118 AD. Note: the blue outline surrounding the territories near Antioch in the 1081 AD map are supposed to represent the control of the Strategos of Antioch, Philaretos Brachamios (Vahram Varajnuni) and his nominal allegiance to Alexios I while he held out against the Turks.

View attachment 463884

View attachment 463885

At this point perhaps we could go ahead and develop a thread for QBAM Byzantine maps...
I'm down with that. Does anyone know how to make a thread AND place it in the right place?

Austria-Hungary_neu.png
Austria_Hungary.gif

Since it seems to drown in every other Thread (like the Q-Bam core thread) I'm going to drop this Austria-Hungary patch from 2017 here as well, which, additionally to its third level subs contains a few border tweaks in Transylvania, Galicia and Silesia.

People don't know where to post stuff
How would they not know? The thread title should be enough to explain to people what goes in it.
People know to post historical works in this folder because it is titled Q-bam Historical Map thread. Plus, the first post of the thread is typically the thread creator stating the purpose of the thread. It would be easy to figure out if you didn't know from the title itself.
So if we created a thread called "Q-bam Byzantine Empire Map thread", people would know very quickly what it is about, what to post, and where to post.

At the moment, I don’t think there are enough maps to justify its own thread, but if I (and @Pressedflowers) whip up a few more then I don’t see the issue with making a thread to house them. It’s no different than creating a thread for a color scheme - it’s a series of historical maps that people can use.

I think this discussion is non sense. Those map could simply be put in the two threads. Anyhow, if the author of these maps feels he wants his own thread, we are no one to oppose him despite what we think of the idea.

Vaguely inspired by what Viralword posted, here's my attempt at an approximation as to what the HRE looked like in 1032; I didn't change the coastlines, but the internals should be mostly accurate. Lighter outlines denote marches. I used THICC:
Style 1:
View attachment 463364
Style 2:
View attachment 463365
(To break the silence) Style 2. Idk, it resembles my own style more and it displays the situation better than the first style, which is more reminiscent of an EU/alliance rather than the back then holy roman empire.

(To break the silence) Style 2. Idk, it resembles my own style more and it displays the situation better than the first style, which is more reminiscent of an EU/alliance rather than the back then holy roman empire.
Yeah, I liked #2 more, too; I just wanted to give people the option.
Also, I probably should've done something to show marches better from a borders standpoint (like, dotted lines / lighter colors).

1815 - Copy.png

I've gotten pretty far with the 1815 map and I've only really got one more continent to go and a little more left in North America before finishing. I was wondering if anyone could spot any corrections (both colors and borders) I need to make and if there are any maps for Africa from around this time to help with the border making?

Last edited:
View attachment 466295
I've gotten pretty far with the 1815 map and I've only really got one more continent to go and a little more left in North America before finishing. I was wondering if anyone could spot any corrections (both colors and borders) I need to make and if there are any maps for Africa from around this time to help with the border making?

Not too knowledgeable about the period so I can’t help out too much, but it looks great!