AHC/WI: Hannibal and his elephants cross the Appalachians

• Thread starter Deleted member 109224
  • Start date

Deleted member 109224

In 1862, Abraham Lincoln politely rejected an offer by the King of Siam for a contribution of War Elephants.

During the Civil War, Vice President Hannibal Hamlin was an advocate for arming Black Americans. He also starting in 1860 was a member of the Maine State Guard. He proceeded to get called up in the summer of 1864 and opted to serve despite his being allowed not to take part (being Vice-President and all). The only perk he wasn't able to refuse (he wanted to be treated like any citizen-soldier) was being quartered with the officers. He would proceed to rise to the rank of Corporal.

So here's a what if: Have Hannibal Hamlin and his African-American Legion cross the Appalachians with their War Elephants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, but the actual value would be rather insignificant. The Confederates could use modern artillery and firearms to bushwhack the beasts along the narrow road passages, unless they're protected by screens of infantry, which I doubt Union commanders will think of without a few bloody lessons (I'm using the tank as a rough analogue. Even in WW2 the Allies and Axis had trouble early on figuring out just what combination of men they needed in their armored divisions. The Germans would re-organize their units a fair bit between Poland and Barbarossa. Without previous experience using them in modern combat, and judging by historical Union leadership, I highly doubt it'd be any different). Modern communication methods would also serve to alert rebel leaders of the Union advance if it gets bogged down or is spotted by cavalry, increasing Confederate ability to ambush the advancing Union pachyderms.

Funny, but the actual value would be rather insignificant. The Confederates could use modern artillery and firearms to bushwhack the beasts along the narrow road passages, unless they're protected by screens of infantry, which I doubt Union commanders will think of without a few bloody lessons (I'm using the tank as a rough analogue. Even in WW2 the Allies and Axis had trouble early on figuring out just what combination of men they needed in their armored divisions. The Germans would re-organize their units a fair bit between Poland and Barbarossa. Without previous experience using them in modern combat, and judging by historical Union leadership, I highly doubt it'd be any different). Modern communication methods would also serve to alert rebel leaders of the Union advance if it gets bogged down or is spotted by cavalry, increasing Confederate ability to ambush the advancing Union pachyderms.

They wouldnt be used for frontline duty, but rather for labor and maybe parade. Closest they might get to combat would be hauling seige (not field) artillery.

In 1862, Abraham Lincoln politely rejected an offer by the King of Siam for a contribution of War Elephants.

During the Civil War, Vice President Hannibal Hamlin was an advocate for arming Black Americans. He also starting in 1860 was a member of the Maine State Guard. He proceeded to get called up in the summer of 1864 and opted to serve despite his being allowed not to take part (being Vice-President and all). The only perk he wasn't able to refuse (he wanted to be treated like any citizen-soldier) was being quartered with the officers. He would proceed to rise to the rank of Corporal.

So here's a what if: Have Hannibal Hamlin and his African-American Legion cross the Appalachians with their War Elephants.
This is one of those rule of cool alternate history ideas which is not so much plausible, but pure fun. If written well enough, its issues with plausibility could be glossed over.

Will these war elephants make it to Rome itself?

Well that's a different kind of marching through Georgia...

As I understand it, the real utility of elephants in war was the psychological impact of a drunk elephant charging towards your lines. With ACW rifles and artillery, I'm not sure the psychological effect on the enemy would be outweighed by their impracticalities...

The elephants might be useful for hauling around really big artillery pieces. But... I'm not sure what benefit such big guns would have, considering all the logistical difficulties they'd have.

Of course, given how popular the classics were at this time, it might work for a diversionary attack, as the Confederates feel they can't let ancient Rome down by letting Hannibal take Rome (Georgia).

fasquardon

Well that's a different kind of marching through Georgia...

As I understand it, the real utility of elephants in war was the psychological impact of a drunk elephant charging towards your lines. With ACW rifles and artillery, I'm not sure the psychological effect on the enemy would be outweighed by their impracticalities...

The elephants might be useful for hauling around really big artillery pieces. But... I'm not sure what benefit such big guns would have, considering all the logistical difficulties they'd have.

Of course, given how popular the classics were at this time, it might work for a diversionary attack, as the Confederates feel they can't let ancient Rome down by letting Hannibal take Rome (Georgia).

fasquardon

Bringing the really big guns to places the rail lines didnt run might be of use