Stephen Baxter’s “Voyage”: Thoughts on the aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Voyage," by Stephen Baxter, is about a NASA mission to Mars in the 1980s in a world where JFK survives his assassination. The book ends on a high-ish note with NASA astronaut Natalie York walking on Mars at Mangala Valles, but Baxter being Baxter, most of the text focuses on the negatives--a NASA that is overly focused on short-term missions and which allows other projects to fade into the background. In particular, Baxter has budget cuts constrain the Mars program to just the one flight. This leaves the question of what NASA does after 1986 up in the air. I'd like to offer some thoughts on that.

Baxter mentions an Earth-landing test flight for the Mars Excursion Module, a 10-meter-diameter Apollo CM-shaped vehicle. This actually suggests that NASA's Apollo-successor already exists--it's just up to NASA and its contractors to put the pieces together. It's already rated for Earth atmosphere reentry and landing, and eliminates the recovery fleet costs and saltwater corrosion issues of the Apollo CM. A vehicle using the MEM mold line can, by my count, accomodate either 55 tonnes of LH2/LOX propellant or 160 tonnes of methane-oxygen. If the thing weighs 30 tonnes dry (handwaving), that's a delta-v of between 4 and 6 km/s--enough that it could do much of its own flight to orbit, if boosted by a Saturn first stage.

Which brings us to the Saturn VB. In the books, it's described as a Saturn V with 4 Thiokol SRMs (presumably the same as the Shuttle ones from OTL), with a "doubled" payload. That's about equal to the Saturn V-25(S)B on the Encyclopedia Astronautica, which identifies it as one with a stretched first stage but a same-size second stage relative to the OTL Saturn V. It's brutally overpowered for any regime of Earth orbit flight--but if you've got a reusable MEM-derived capsule that does half its own lifting to orbit, you can fly it as a two-stage, MS-IC + MEM combo, giving you the same crew-to-orbit capacity as Apollo, but with a lot less throw-away.

The US also has two space stations--Skylab and Moonlab--as of 1986, both S-IVB-based wetlabs. These will be reaching the end of their useful lives (Moonlab, as of 1980, was already decrepit in the book)--the time will have come for a replacement. Maybe a great big drylab can go up on a single Saturn VB flight--something optimized for microgravity science, as opposed to supporting the Ares program.

And we have the other big plot point of the book--NERVA, which had two flights, a successful unmanned flight and a failed manned flight that killed the crew of Apollo-N. The US backs away from NTR technology for the 1986 Mars mission, but the expertise is still there, and if the USAF and SDIO are still looking at NTR for something like Timberwind, interest will be ongoing.

So, on a hardware/intellectual capital level, things aren't nearly as bad as Baxter might imply. But what can motivate Reagan, in his last two years in office, and Bush after him, to follow up Ares with any significant funding? The Peace Dividend will be weighing on Bush, incentivizing him to throw the aerospace industry some kind of bone. Reagan still wants SDI, which will lead to interest in reusability and atomic power as IOTL.

Then there's the Soviets. IOTL, they dumped their NTR research because the US did. ITTL, the US didn't, so presumably such engines as the RD-0410 and RD-0411 are further along. The Soviets in the book finished N-1 and used it for lunar-orbital Soyuz missions. We don't hear much about them after 1980. But with the US backing away from atomic technology, would it not make sense for them to finish theirs, and do it right? Maybe N-1 gets an atomic upper stage in 1987 to 1989, for a single experimental, unmanned flight to Low Lunar Orbit--a full-sized Soyuz and a modernized, expanded LK, analogous to the OTL Buran one-off. The sheer size of the American space effort ITTL will prevent anything like OTL fears about Soviet advances in space technology, so even that might not give NASA another Sputnik Moment. The disintegration of the Eastern Bloc will also undermine any effort to leverage a late-1980s Soviet space success into a NASA program.

On the unmanned side, the US did not launch Voyager, or the Mariner Mercury probe. There is no TTL Galileo or Ulysses. There is a reference to the outer planets remaining fuzzy points of light, but since Pioneers 10 and 11 were approved in 1969 and launched IOTL in 1973, I'm inclined to think that those did make it off the pad and to their destinations (since TRW got the contract IOTL before Apollo 13). The impressive human and intellectual capital the US built up for its unmanned program will be much weaker ITTL--so future unmanned flights might actually have a higher-than-OTL failure rate. OTOH, with Saturn VB and potentially nuclear upper stages, the upper limit on probe mass is so far beyond OTL that redundancy might be easy to build in. Imagine directly-injected Galileo- and Cassini-type probes by 2000.

I'm thinking the most plausible course of events is that Apollo is finally put on the road to retirement after the Ares mission, with a reusable MEM-derived spacecraft taking its place. It might have integral propulsion or it might not--instead being launched as the payload by a Saturn variant. The big conical structure might become something like a payload bay, or a very large habitable volume, or a reusable Service Module with enough propulsion to fly home from Low Lunar Orbit. President Bush authorizes this and a Saturn V S-II derived space station for the 1990s, optimized for microgravity research. A huge Hubble variant (taking advantage of that big honking fairing diameter) might see first light in the early 2000s.

And then what? Any chance of someone picking up the (glowing white-hot) torch of nuclear thermal rocketry? What does spaceflight in the 2000s look like?

mspence

Banned
Probably not as much investment in private space flight-no Jeff Bezos rockets. Although I wonder why there might not be more unmanned missions, since they'd be cheaper and safer. Nuclear probably doesn't happen, maybe a bigger focus on ion drives, solar sails and such?

Probably not as much investment in private space flight-no Jeff Bezos rockets. Although I wonder why there might not be more unmanned missions, since they'd be cheaper and safer. Nuclear probably doesn't happen, maybe a bigger focus on ion drives, solar sails and such?
Ages since I read the novel so I am short on the details. However, does SpaceX not depend on the commercial market? If it is costly to put communication satellites into orbit then either people are going to stop doing so or someone is going to try and do it cheaper and skim off the difference.

Ages since I read the novel so I am short on the details. However, does SpaceX not depend on the commercial market? If it is costly to put communication satellites into orbit then either people are going to stop doing so or someone is going to try and do it cheaper and skim off the difference.

If there is no cheap satellite launch market in the west, then that's even more reason for SpaceX to pop up, to fill that gap. And having Elon Musk grow up hearing about the Mars landings and how they canceled the program might actually make him want to get humans back to Mars even more. Overall I definitely think the second time humans land on Mars it will be in a SpaceX rocket, although whether or not it resembles OTL Starship/Superheavy is difficult to tell.

Converting the MEM mold line and heat shield into a reusable capsule is sort of an interesting idea--like a Chrysler SERV as an upper stage. If the MEM hardware can easily accept prop tanks in place of the surface lab and part of the ascent stage, it'd be a remarkably capable vehicle with the remaining volume of the MEM ascent stage and crew cabin for...well, cargo or crew cabin. Refueling in LEO and any one other point, picking from among options like highly elliptical Earth orbit shy of TLI to Lagrange points to LLO, would then enable it to go to the moon reusably. An S-II fitted with sea level engines looks capable of lifting this SERV-alike MEM to a point where it can reach orbit, and that or something along those lines but fitted for reuse might be the best option to evaluate. It's a novel way of looking at the post-Voyage program. The question, I think, is just going to be as you say if the American people and Congress will pay for developing it...

Warning
Okay, i know this thread is inactive close to 3 years now but i still would like to write something:

Voyage wasn´t such a bad novel in the first place if you ask me, but Stephen Baxter presented some pretty bad habbits that still existed in novels written decades later: Describing technology and science in a very basic way... especially when you work with Apollo- / post-Apollo technology you really should describe what you are using, just because there were so many ideas, concepts and actual build hardware in existence back then. But still he established a pretty powerfull NASA that never lost it´s Superheavy-Lifters. He really should have presented at least some guidance for the future after the Ares-flight.... programs that would follow on or even surprise funding for another mission to mars. Landing some people on the red planet should give a huge PR-Boost for the program. Yes: The Apollos and the Shuttle became "boring routine" for the public pretty fast until desaster struck, but there were no landings on another planet. I really think this should have been played out in a better way. And i really like the idea to use the MEM-family as a replacement for Apollo. I like Apollo, especially how it was upgraded in Eyes Turned Skywards, but let´s be serious: When you go interplanetary it´s not a bad thing to have a lot more Volume for your crew.. and possibly a larger crew anyways. In Short: Something in the size of Starliner (Just the size, not that exact flawed capsule) or Orion.

And i really think that Stephen Baxter should have used this Universe he build there for his later novels. I only read Voyage and Titan... and i read and heard a lot of times since i read the later one that it is the worst Novel by Baxter to this day.... and i have to agree. That thing was a shitshow that could have been prevented if he would have used the NASA he build in Voyage. Instead he wrote a "Nasa-Trilogy" that´s not a trilogy and i am not interested in buying and reading the third book, just because the second was so bad. He even used the Saturn V in Titan... the original ones that layed rusting in the rain for over 30 years when the new program came online. What did he think? Using the Voyage NASA he could have taken Saturn VB´s or a much safer version with LRB´s to propel a more or less purpose build deep space vehicle to orbit. And he could have given the NERVA a second chance, at least for a heavy cargo mission that brings a base and/ or enough fuel for the return trip of the crew.

Someone could ask: What´up with reusable technology? In Voyage the shuttle was ( In my eyes rightfully) dumped based on to many unproven novel technologys. So they evolved the Saturns, okay: That´s exactly what should have been done in my eyes for the next 20-30 years after Apollo. The discussion about a Shuttle or Shuttle-like System should have come back into full swing by the time the Ares Crew was on it´s way... technology doesn´t stops and many things that were a bad idea earlier could become a great one with the knowledge we have 20 years later. And even when there is a Shuttle, the need for balistic capsules doesn´t have to get lost that way.

And regarding to the soviets: I agree that they need further desciptions and further missions. I like that he included them in the way he did, but i am not a fan of the fact that they were left alone sometime in the novel. The N1, N11 and the whole project should have been used in a better way. And i really think a follow on should have included further cooperations, perhaps a Ares 2-mission that includes a Cosmonaut and somekind of a pre-delivered science plattform launched by the UDSSR or Russian Federation to the surface of the planet. A really small base if you like to name it as one. Space travel is something that needs cooperation if you like to go further then to LEO in a sustainable way and it can connect different nationalitys in giving them a common goal: Building a space program that keeps your own space travelers and the ones of your partners alive and get a lot more knowledge out of their missions than you could do by doing everything alone. In short: You have to learn to work together and you can use spacetravel as a highly usefull diplomatic tool. I really think that Ares should have been made into an ongoing project instead of this expensive one-and-done thing Baxter delivered to us. It was right to do that in the first place, but not to keep with that... and this brings me to another final bad habbit of him as a writer:
He likes to cut storys in a way that you feel like a guillautine fell off the roof and killed a living story that still has a few more pages incomming. There was no "First human on another planet´s surface"-speech, no description of their surface activities, no safe return, no parades... just NOTHING. That wasn´t even a good cliffhanger, that´s just unfinished business.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Okay, i know this thread is inactive close to 3 years now but i still would like to write something:

Voyage wasn´t such a bad novel in the first place if you ask me, but Stephen Baxter presented some pretty bad habbits that still existed in novels written decades later: Describing technology and science in a very basic way... especially when you work with Apollo- / post-Apollo technology you really should describe what you are using, just because there were so many ideas, concepts and actual build hardware in existence back then. But still he established a pretty powerfull NASA that never lost it´s Superheavy-Lifters. He really should have presented at least some guidance for the future after the Ares-flight.... programs that would follow on or even surprise funding for another mission to mars. Landing some people on the red planet should give a huge PR-Boost for the program. Yes: The Apollos and the Shuttle became "boring routine" for the public pretty fast until desaster struck, but there were no landings on another planet. I really think this should have been played out in a better way. And i really like the idea to use the MEM-family as a replacement for Apollo. I like Apollo, especially how it was upgraded in Eyes Turned Skywards, but let´s be serious: When you go interplanetary it´s not a bad thing to have a lot more Volume for your crew.. and possibly a larger crew anyways. In Short: Something in the size of Starliner (Just the size, not that exact flawed capsule) or Orion.

And i really think that Stephen Baxter should have used this Universe he build there for his later novels. I only read Voyage and Titan... and i read and heard a lot of times since i read the later one that it is the worst Novel by Baxter to this day.... and i have to agree. That thing was a shitshow that could have been prevented if he would have used the NASA he build in Voyage. Instead he wrote a "Nasa-Trilogy" that´s not a trilogy and i am not interested in buying and reading the third book, just because the second was so bad. He even used the Saturn V in Titan... the original ones that layed rusting in the rain for over 30 years when the new program came online. What did he think? Using the Voyage NASA he could have taken Saturn VB´s or a much safer version with LRB´s to propel a more or less purpose build deep space vehicle to orbit. And he could have given the NERVA a second chance, at least for a heavy cargo mission that brings a base and/ or enough fuel for the return trip of the crew.

Someone could ask: What´up with reusable technology? In Voyage the shuttle was ( In my eyes rightfully) dumped based on to many unproven novel technologys. So they evolved the Saturns, okay: That´s exactly what should have been done in my eyes for the next 20-30 years after Apollo. The discussion about a Shuttle or Shuttle-like System should have come back into full swing by the time the Ares Crew was on it´s way... technology doesn´t stops and many things that were a bad idea earlier could become a great one with the knowledge we have 20 years later. And even when there is a Shuttle, the need for balistic capsules doesn´t have to get lost that way.

And regarding to the soviets: I agree that they need further desciptions and further missions. I like that he included them in the way he did, but i am not a fan of the fact that they were left alone sometime in the novel. The N1, N11 and the whole project should have been used in a better way. And i really think a follow on should have included further cooperations, perhaps a Ares 2-mission that includes a Cosmonaut and somekind of a pre-delivered science plattform launched by the UDSSR or Russian Federation to the surface of the planet. A really small base if you like to name it as one. Space travel is something that needs cooperation if you like to go further then to LEO in a sustainable way and it can connect different nationalitys in giving them a common goal: Building a space program that keeps your own space travelers and the ones of your partners alive and get a lot more knowledge out of their missions than you could do by doing everything alone. In short: You have to learn to work together and you can use spacetravel as a highly usefull diplomatic tool. I really think that Ares should have been made into an ongoing project instead of this expensive one-and-done thing Baxter delivered to us. It was right to do that in the first place, but not to keep with that... and this brings me to another final bad habbit of him as a writer:
He likes to cut storys in a way that you feel like a guillautine fell off the roof and killed a living story that still has a few more pages incomming. There was no "First human on another planet´s surface"-speech, no description of their surface activities, no safe return, no parades... just NOTHING. That wasn´t even a good cliffhanger, that´s just unfinished business.
You know that the thread has been dead for 1,093 days and you decided to pull it out of the grave all moldy and yucky?

Don't do that!

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Return to the Grave from whence you came!

With Iron, Salt, Blood, and Power I fix you back into the ground where you may once again rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.