If anyone has ideas, here are some railroads I am unsure about in the merger eras.

Baltimore & Ohio
- Option 1: Merged into New York Central, retaining the NYC name
- Option 2: Remains independent by absorbing the RDG/CNJ
- Option 3: Becomes part of my TL's Chessie System. Which ITTL is all the Van Sweringen roads plus the Lackawanna

Reading/Jersey Central
- Option 1: Merged into B&O
- Option 2: Acquired by the PRR when they fall in the 70s

Wabash/Lehigh Valley

- Option 1: Merged into the PRR
- Option 2: Merged into Canadian Pacific

Boston & Maine
- Option 1: Merged into the PRR
- Option 2: Stays independent, unlike the New Haven, by absorbing the Maine Central and B&A

Here what i could think to occur in my opinion:

Baltimore & Ohio - Option 2

Reading/Jersey Central - Option 1

Wabash/Lehigh Valley - Option 1

Boston & Maine - Option 2

IF anyone else has any ideas regarding how to butterfly or at least delay Amtrak, go ahead.

Idea 1: Eisenhower masssively deregulate the railroads, and also begins heavily subsidizing them. With most transport budgets being split between rail and road with the rest for sea and air.

Idea 2: Going from above, new intermodal stations are made between railroads and airliners. One of the most prominent being PanAm.

These are interesting ideas. And the 2 you could have apart from freight/intermodal, new stations built inside airports, and have railroads work together if some airlines to continue to provide some main services.

As freight, i can see these intermodal hubs begin the base for what could be ATL 2019 the main stations of Steel Interstate System, if air, trucks and rail on one location.

@Joe Bonkers

In case you are curious, I retconned my main TL to have the DL&W stay part of the Chessie family.

I was actually even thinking of the B&O getting major stake bought by the NYC and my TL's Chessie system. Mostly so they can prop it up as another way to fight the Pennsylvania. Which thanks to Stuart Saunders and his N&W in the 1960s, gets stronger.

Here are some ideas I had for DL&W Steamers I could preserve ITTL:

- Q-4 Pocono 4-8-4 #1632: Operational out of Steamtown NHS; Scranton, PA [1]
- Q-1 Pocono 4-8-4 #1504: On Display at Binghamton, NY

[1] My TL's Steamtown is based out of the former New York, Ontario, & Western branch line. With additional lines so they can pull excursions on other tracks in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

I was thinking I could have my TL save the Indiana Transportation Museum in its entirety.

If anyone has some additional ideas, or recommendations for which one I try, go ahead and comment.

- Option 1: The Group buys up the old NKP tracks from Noblesville to Indianapolis.
- Option 2: The Museum has its Logansport location from the start.
- Option 3: The railroad uses the former interurban from Logansport to Indianapolis via Kokomo and Noblesville.

I will admit, I kind of want to have the RDG/CNJ link up with the PRR.

What I could do is have my TL's Chesapeake & Ohio rebrand itself as the Chessie.

Then, the B&O ends up being my TL's railroad sick man. As a result, they are forced to sell of their stake in the still semi-independent Reading and CNJ. The Pennsylvania has been recovering thanks to Stuart Saunders. So they but up both lines.

Eventually, B&O falls apart, and joins the NKP in becoming part of my TL's Chessie System. Eventually, NKP becomes one with the C&O, but B&O at least remains somewhat independent for a few years.

Enter the Erie Lackawanna. ITTL, they become close to the Chessie system once more. But ICC regulations prevent a complete merger. So the EL at least buts the B&O's former NYC Pennsylvania division lines. As well as the PRR's former RDG lines to Philadelphia.

B&O meanwhile has also been re-reouting itself via former Rading lines to Harrisburg to help Amtrak. So there's that in this possible event.

Currently possibile railroads in my TL's PRR system:

Ones I'm Sure Of
- Pennsylvania
- Norfolk & Western
- New Haven (not counting ex NYO&W lines)
- Lehigh Valley
- Toledo, Peoria, & Western
- Wabash (All lines from befote the 1930s)

Ones I'm Unsure Of (These two depend on what I do with B&O, namely if my TL's Chessie is C&O+EL+B&O or I have a NYC+B&O merger)
- Central of New Jersey
- Reading

I think NYC + B&O would be the most interesting to see, as a competitor to the PRR. It’d mostly be an end to end merger since there isn’t too much redundant trackage.

I think NYC + B&O would be the most interesting to see, as a competitor to the PRR. It’d mostly be an end to end merger since there isn’t too much redundant trackage.
True. And I assume you still believe the Reading and Jersey Central would be part? Because I'm sure of keeping them with B&O or giving them to the PRR.

True. And I assume you still believe the Reading and Jersey Central would be part? Because I'm sure of keeping them with B&O or giving them to the PRR.

Most definitely, I think it was the Western Maryland, Reading and Jersey Central included in the OTL B&O/NYC merger.

It was part of the Southern Pacific system that connected San Diego to Yuma where the SP was.
It was prone to washouts, fires, rockslides, and other hazards, it ran until 1978 when a tropical storm caused major portions of the line to be damaged beyond it could be repaired economically.
The Metropolitan Transit System bought the right of way and used them to build the San Diego Trolley System.
So I have always wondered what if the SP was able to improve the railroad so that it could withstand the damages it received.