A Gentle Breeze - A Discussion

This is for questions, comments and anything else fitting the area of this timeline I am working on.

I'll post mainly stuff on updates, and general ideas on how the timeline will be shaped.

The Timeline can be found here.

Plans For Alternate Battleships
I have written about the lead up to 1914 being marked by the Austrians putting 30.5cm guns on the last two pre-dreads before the Radetzky-class, however the ships didn't receive extra speed nor armor to make them protected from their own guns. I'll probably go into more details on what the means for the Austrian Navy, but what I really want to dive into is the Italian and French Responses to said ships.

As for the British the Queen Elizabeth Class is laid down and two ships are scheduled to be launched as 1914 begins. I think of the six planned some might receive future refits/rebuilds depending on how I'm trying to idealize naval warfare into the 1940s. As for speed I'll work out if redesigns or such are needed to be done.

Finally to guns, the British have found a deficiency their shells due to testing done on obsolete ships used as targets. The Shells are up for refit/upgrading sometime within 1918. (There won't be any war, especially not due to some damn thing in the Balkans.)

The American's have laid down the Nevada's but due to the use of Turbines all the way back to the South Carolina's the battleline has a maximum battleship speed of 22.3 knots (+/- .6knts). The Nevada's will also be the first all oil American Battleships. They carry the 14 inch gun with a "Super-AP" round (Superheavy Shell Mark II*) to increase penetration at long range. If all goes to plan they'll be in active service in 1917.

Last edited:
Ideas for 1914
I think I'll go month by month, in detail where applicable on the lead up to the start of this alternate World War I, but I don't really fully know how to write full action packed battles so I may just stick to either very detailed yet bland overviews, and sprinkle little single actions undertaken by soldiers. Or just do my best to make something from a General's POV. (Any thoughts on the matter are very much welcomed.)

I hope to mostly put the action/war stuff here, with the final versions being put on the other thread as a 'set in stone' type deal. My ideas going forward is to get a more modern, and long war, without going over 1919. I've got quite the image planned out for late war battles, but alas it's only 1914.

Generally though, this will be (hopefully) a long TL and be enjoyable to the readers.

Quick Update
School has started back up for me this past Monday, so sorry for not having much time to post updates (hopefully I'll fix that soon enough). I do hope you guys enjoy the quick update before I start going really into more combat scenes.

Update #2
I've move some times around so that means I can now better use my time. So I'll be doing more shorter character driven updates, and perhaps less technical ones depending.

Hopefully everyone's enjoying it and feel free to suggest things/question things being done.

I still don't have all of 1915-17 planned out, but it's coming along.

As a quick teaser:

"The evening of the 17th saw a U-Boat have it's prey in sight. Three torpedoes were all that were needed."

Update 3
Story can be found here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/a-gentle-breeze-an-alternate-1905-tl.455848/

Current story events as of update 3:

October 15/16th 1914

The Great War has been going on for 3 months (plus or minus some) and all sides figure it is going to go on for a while.

I'll be writing more on neutral powers and how both blockades are affecting global trade, and economies as a filler between combat.

Feel free to question any and anything on the story in this thread, and hopefully everyone enjoys what I've written so far!

Update 4
Haven't forgotten about the TL, had life things to deal with (mainly college, I digress) but I do plan for the Summer to have the most amount of updates and such to be posted.

I've written out so far the end of 1914 and the start of 1915, with the plans for late 15/16 on work as of now.

What I expect going forward are less battles and more of the home front/minor fronts, as well as tech in all of the countries to have atleast one or two large history book like post.

Again, hoping you guys like it and feel free to ask about stuff here (cause I know I forgot this)

The Great Conflict (1914-)
The General Timeline-Layout so people can hop in/see the minor changes prior to 1914

Following Roosevelt's early term in 05' he begins building up the US Military in a way that leads the world to follow this general trend of embracing technology.

This however doesn't mean all sides are equal on tech or tradition, but in face of being left behind they chose to look forward. I've written documents on this progress over on the read-only version of the TL. but Generally there are more Dreadnoughts and Aircraft in use before 1914. Not enough to be completely dominating, but it leads to earlier air war, and more unique lessons learned about modern warfare. In this TL the Russo-Japanese war is studied more so by the Russians when it comes to officers and signals intelligence, while the Japanese similarly draw their own conclusions on how they fought the war.

To make a huge point small and not give all the cards out, generally all the major and minor powers look to this and come up with how they think modern war is going to be fought and won. For instance the British and French embrace the LWMG and Arty while Germany and AH love the MG and infiltration styled approach to warfare. The Russians while disliking modernization and such, generally expect to lose a war with Germany and so from 1908-1914 set up training for NCO and Officers, aswell begin reforms to education and society. Is it going to work, who knows but it is better to overestimate your enemy than underestimate him.

I'll be doing a casualty count for the end of 1914, but as of now all sides have suffered more than 40k deaths and 80k+ wounded/captured/missing.

Two Twin, and two triple, for this they all have some extra armor and HP but as the RN would use them as a squadron they aren't too fast nor too slow for the job.

Two Twin, and two triple, for this they all have some extra armor and HP but as the RN would use them as a squadron they aren't too fast nor too slow for the job.

Ah, so something of a bigger ship then? OTL they turned out to be overweight, and could only make 24kn compared to the 25kn they were supposed to- more freeboard and fineness could help as well.

Yeah at the cost of slightly more money and time spent building, they are 30k empty and almost 41k loaded, for that they do 24-25knts though a few of the class had to get pushed well above that due to war being well, not quite predictable.

The RN has the habit of underrating their ships slightly for engine performance as well, so they can be run flat out for long periods of time, along with other wartime exegencies, so that actually works quite well.

Now, is that 41 000 t figure their deep load, or does it put them into overweight condition versus their design?

That 41k is more of the deep load, with some play around before you get overweight issues, this was mainly due to wanting the ability for the powerplant to be switched if oil was seen as too unreliable (for getting it) so the RN had wanted to have the option in 1916 to change that.

Of course they didn't see a war starting til 1915 at earliest and 1919 at latest, so they and the German Navy got quite a "oh dear this isn't what we wanted" moment.

Machine Gun Notes 1
More so for the US MGs since they haven't been mentioned as most, the M1914 Browning is more akin to otl's M1917 with some minor differences.

The M1914A2 would be akin to the 1917A1 otl with minor differences. Said differences include less brass overall and more steel.

The M1912 Lewis Gun has nothing different about it, but it does have different calibers like the Vickers, Hotchkiss and eventually MG-08.

The CSRG in French and US use* has many variants going into it, including a 30-06 one.

*US Forces in French Service will end up using French Gear, like the guys in the Volunteer Force