Hail, Britannia

Athabasca; 2018 legislative election

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
So the next province ITTL which doesn't exist in OTL: Athabasca. Thanks as always to @Turquoise Blue for her input! Enjoy:

90oPyaR.png

Athabasca is one of the 11 provinces and territories of the Dominion of Canada located in the central region of the country, bordered by the Northwest Territories to the north, the province of Manitoba to the east, the provinces of Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Dominion of Oregon to the south, and the Principality of Alaska to the west. Created in 1912, Athabasca is the seventh-most populous province, with a substantial First Nations population, and is the largest Canadian subdivision without a maritime boundary, as well as being the most recent Canadian province to be created.

Historically, Athabasca was part of Rupert's Land and the North-Western Territory and became part of Canada with the creation of the Northwest Territories in 1870. The District of Athabasca was created as a subdivision of the Northwest Territories in 1882, to provide self-government for the growing population and settlements in the region. After a long campaign for autonomy, in 1912 the district was given provincial status, the last Canadian province to be created. Despite demographic growth over the 20th century, Athabasca remains one of the most sparsely populated Canadian provinces, with most of its 440,000 residents living in the major cities of the province, such as Grande Prairie and Fort McMurray. Athabasca is dominated by praireland and boreal forest, and the forestry and logging industries were major players in the province's economy before the 1960s. Since the mid-20th century Athabasca's economy has become primarily dependent on oil and gas, with the beginning of the exploitation of the large heavy oil reserves in the Athabasca oil sands and the extraction of natural gas in the west.

NiPGNRG.png

The 2018 Athabasca legislative election was held on 23 October 2018 to elect, under the instant runoff voting system, the 23 members of the Legislative Assembly.

The incumbent Conservative government, which had been in office since 1999, under Premier Hector Goudreau, comfortably won re-election with more than 50% of the popular vote and an increased majority. The opposition centre-left Progressives under leader Buckley Belanger failed to make inroads at this election, losing a single seat, whilst the centrist Non-Partisan League, under Doug Faulkner, held its two seats.

After the election, Goudreau was reappointed as premier as leader of the largest party in the assembly, whilst Belanger and Faulkner announced discussions to merge their two parties together.

lsYWVh9.png

Last edited:
And for those wondering about local government...

- Athabasca - One of the simplest provinces of Canada in terms of local government, it has a system of local government divided in "regions", each of which are based around a significant settlement. There are three of them, and they vote every four years - '20, '24, '28.

Questions, I bit of topic I know but it just occurred to me.

Did some of Indian territories (Bombay etc) remain in the British Empire during at least early part of the transition period from crown colony to federation, due to the different treaties which bound them to the British Empire?

Also, why with better relations between UKE and India did Elizabeth not become the Empress, can she be elected to the new title and are there any movements within India to restore the Imperial Monarchy?

Did some of Indian territories (Bombay etc) remain in the British Empire during at least early part of the transition period from crown colony to federation, due to the different treaties which bound them to the British Empire?
Well, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are still part of Britain in TTL present-day. I assume the other territories would be handed over.
Also, why with better relations between UKE and India did Elizabeth not become the Empress, can she be elected to the new title and are there any movements within India to restore the Imperial Monarchy?
Probably nationalist pressure.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Questions, I bit of topic I know but it just occurred to me.

Well, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are still part of Britain in TTL present-day. I assume the other territories would be handed over.

Probably nationalist pressure.

From the India update:

"The First Indian Constitution, as the act is now known in India, would mark the beginning of the nearly twenty-year long process of "Indian Integration", where the rulers of the princely states ceded their sovereignty to the new central government and the territories of other colonial powers were acquired diplomatically."

Gradually the princely states, more directly governed British colonies, and territories of other colonial powers joined India.

Nationalist pressure indeed played a role, and the decision to adopt the elective monarchy of the Badishah was inspired by a fear of republics and the inherent instability that form of government has ITTL, coupled with a desire for a "homegrown" version of monarchy as a centrepoint for Indian national identity. As Elizabeth II does not reign over any territory in India, she would be ineligible to be elected as Badishah. No movements exist to restore the House of Windsor to the Indian throne.

So Capeland replacing Elizabeth II with another monarch has been retconned?

Indeed... Upon reflection, whilst it's an interesting divergence it didn't quite make logical sense...

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Did they keep the British monarch all this time or did they abolish the monarchy like OTL only to restore it later?

Bit vague of Capeland/OTL South African history at present... My assumption is the larger White/Coloured population, due to it being one of the only attractive colonisation prospects, pulls politics away from the Nationals and OTL Apartheid. The Cape Qualified Franchise continues, and there is a "separate but equal" policy throughout the 60s to 80s when full democracy is introduced.

Bit vague of Capeland/OTL South African history at present... My assumption is the larger White/Coloured population, due to it being one of the only attractive colonisation prospects, pulls politics away from the Nationals and OTL Apartheid. The Cape Qualified Franchise continues, and there is a "separate but equal" policy throughout the 60s to 80s when full democracy is introduced.
I'm guessing "separate but equal" in the same sense Jim Crow was "separate but equal."

So is Capeland in the Commonwealth or the UKE, also can we have a updated post on Capeland then?

Local government is very much like the British system, a bunch of confusion that I have been mad enough to tackle.
Provincial government depends on if your dominion is federal or not. It normally is. This is the government of your province.
Federal government is often not called that, but it's the government of your dominion. If your dominion is not federal, this level gets the responsibility of the provincial, but normally local government is stronger in unitary dominions.
Imperial government is the government of the United Kingdom and Empire of Great Britannia, led by Queen Elizabeth II and Prime Minister [REDACTED].
Was segregation in Carolina and Louisiana enforced at the federal or provincial (I know the subdivisions of those dominions are called "states" instead of "provinces", but the principle remains the same) level?

Last edited: