Keynes' Cruisers Volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driftless

Donor
Sounds like the flood forecasts on the Lower Mississippi....the Bonnet Carre spillway has been opened twice in the same year for the first time and the Morganza will be opened for the third time in 60 years
I live close to the Mississippi way upstream in Wisconsin. I think the river has been out of its banks (at or close to flood stage) since the ice went out in March - and it's not looking to go down much for a while. Without looking up the statistics, I don't remember it being so high for so long a duration. All that water has to go downstream yet....

I live close to the Mississippi way upstream in Wisconsin. I think the river has been out of its banks (at or close to flood stage) since the ice went out in March - and it's not looking to go down much for a while. Without looking up the statistics, I don't remember it being so high for so long a duration. All that water has to go downstream yet....

Same situation here for the Illinois, smaller rivers and creeks cannot drain farmlands are flooded or too soggy to plant. At this time according to a farmer friend of our, Illinois farmers have 11 to 15% of crops planted as opposed to 80+% on the average by this time. Then the Illinois can barely drain into the Mississippi, because the Missouri is still high!

I live in Kansas, folks are fishing off their front porches, the bad thing is they are catching pretty good size fish.
Like your statement, but, shouldn't it be, ...good news...catching some pretty decent fish, ...bad news...they're fishing off their front porch...
This has been another pretty dismal flood and tornado year, and, for Pete's sake, there's more left. Tough times, what's next, earthquakes and volcanos?

Same situation here for the Illinois, smaller rivers and creeks cannot drain farmlands are flooded or too soggy to plant. At this time according to a farmer friend of our, Illinois farmers have 11 to 15% of crops planted as opposed to 80+% on the average by this time. Then the Illinois can barely drain into the Mississippi, because the Missouri is still high!
I live in Kansas, folks are fishing off their front porches, the bad thing is they are catching pretty good size fish.
Where I live, while no major disasters, relatively minor flooding but much more than usual and May has >2x usual rain.

Interesting - when does the 'Hurricane Season' start? With above average rainwater already back-up-stream what happens when there's a deluge downstream nearer the coast? I suspect the waters will take, much, much longer to clear.

Where I live, while no major disasters, relatively minor flooding but much more than usual and May has >2x usual rain.
And let's hope it doesn't get any worse, right? By the by, 1 June opens hurricane season officially, to answer Merlin's question, but we usually have one in the can by then...

The problem is with the ground saturated, rain pretty much goes directly into creeks and streams, to larger waterways etc. Also, levees, which are made of earth and not covered in waterproof material for the most part also become saturated and therefore weaker and less resistant to breakage. The ground under concrete structures can become saturated, again weakening things. As bad as this can be where I am, pretty close to the headwaters of the major drainage systems, it obviously gets worse the further downstream you go in terms of volume of water in the rivers. Fortunately where I am we are about as insulated from any hurricane related effects as you can get in the USA.

Interesting - when does the 'Hurricane Season' start? With above average rainwater already back-up-stream what happens when there's a deluge downstream nearer the coast? I suspect the waters will take, much, much longer to clear.

Officially Hurricane season starts June 1st. It is the U.S. Southeast, and imo Louisiana in particular, that will suffer the most. Storms in the Gulf will bring more water to the Southern end of already swollen river systems, especially the Mississippi River.

If a really big one hits the Miami/Dade area,look out. Parts of Miami now get water in the streets with an exceptional high tide so a storm at the right time of the tide cycle would cause massive flooding and a surge. Florida is pretty waterlogged normally, unless you have a drought and another problem you could get is salt infiltration of the water table, making the water undrinkable...

Officially Hurricane season starts June 1st. It is the U.S. Southeast, and imo Louisiana in particular, that will suffer the most. Storms in the Gulf will bring more water to the Southern end of already swollen river systems, especially the Mississippi River.

We normally don't have any storm activity until the August-September time frame...if we go from 1 Aug to 30 Sept without a hurricane, a big sigh of relief is heard all along the Gulf Coast...

If a really big one hits the Miami/Dade area,look out. Parts of Miami now get water in the streets with an exceptional high tide so a storm at the right time of the tide cycle would cause massive flooding and a surge. Florida is pretty waterlogged normally, unless you have a drought and another problem you could get is salt infiltration of the water table, making the water undrinkable...
Beginning to be true of some sections of Ft. Lauderdale/central Broward county as well.

Driftless

Donor
I just saw this nugget from NASA on Facebook - ties in with our current tangential conversation:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/i...oltn5njouq42DszHgXWEbFuCEHbrdMK5BPHWkQmXFLnAI
May 11 - 13, 2019
Record-Setting Precipitation Leaves U.S. Soils Soggy
The continental United States recently finished its soggiest 12 months in 124 years of modern recordkeeping. The results are visible in satellite measurements of fresh water.
Groundwater moisture.GIF
The map key didn't transfer.... Dark Blue indicates Shallow groundwater wetness percentile in the 98% level comparing to the period from 1948 to 2012. Light blue is the 70th percentile. Basically the central and eastern US are saturated...

I just saw this nugget from NASA on Facebook - ties in with our current tangential conversation:
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/i...oltn5njouq42DszHgXWEbFuCEHbrdMK5BPHWkQmXFLnAI

View attachment 462523
The map key didn't transfer.... Dark Blue indicates Shallow groundwater wetness percentile in the 98% level comparing to the period from 1948 to 2012. Light blue is the 70th percentile. Basically the central and eastern US are saturated...
Doesn't bode well for the forthcoming summer...

In Wisconsin the farmers are waaaay behind in their planting because the soil is too wet to have seed or be plowed. Unless things dry up somewhat and less rain, some crops won't go in at all...

View attachment 462523

Given what happened last year in the Mid-Atlantic, I can only say “D’huh!” (No insult intended)
It’s because of the huge rainfall last year that the pollen level is so high this year.

formion

Banned
Posting may be light for the next week or so as I am conferencing with co-authors and hopefully finding future collaborators.

Who are the co-authors of Keynes' Cruisers?

Edit: I guess you meant co-authors from other timelines

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.