Alternate names for republican head of state

Consul, Director, Protector, Guardian, Stadholder, and synonyms.
Department and Parliament style gives you Chancellor, Minister, Prefect, Secretary.
Perhaps with Lord/High/First/etc prefixes or General as a suffix.
If we look at companies and corporations for inspiration then Chief Executive Officer, Chairman, Leader, etc.
If you want less republic in name then Steward/Steadholder, Governor, Protector, Guardian, Regent.
Military style gives you Marshal, General, Admiral, Commander, etc.

What gets chosen depends how the republic forms, what came before, and what it's emulating.

Last edited:
What about 'tyrant' or 'dictator' ? I always loved how in the Terry Pratchett Diskworld universe the planet is full of self-declared 'presidents' that were the greatest tyrants around while the Greek had their 'Tyrant' who was actually just an elected official with a term limit and in most cases something like the most democratic figure around. Of course, Pratchett being Pratchett, when one of his characters explains the idea to his companion he muses something like " So he gets chosen by all the people (*) but first he gets elected ... I guess that's something like they do to eunuchs and tomcats to make sure he won't start a dynasty"

(*) Pratchett being Pratchett, he also muses: "he gets chosen by all the people, literally by everyone in the city... We'll, if course, not by the little children, or the slaves, or the insane.... Or the women, because you know, they're women. But otherwise, yes, he gets chosen by literally everyone"

Yes, if the English Commonwealth i.e. Republic had survived, then we'd likely still have a Lord Protector, especially as it would have been, at any rate in the early years, dominated by the aristocracy.

But Consul has a nice Roman ring to it. Perhaps First Consul and Second Consul instead of President and Vice President?

Raadspensionaris/grandpensionary. If the Dutch Republic permanently got rid of the stadholder, that would most likely become the title of the republican ruler.

Tribune might not be out of the question. even if historically they weren't a the chief executive, they were a popular check on an a aristocratic body.

If you really want to mess with history, its possible to make princeps/prince a republican term

Ban Kulin

Banned
Well fuck. The Professor covered almost everything. All I have to offer are Princeps and Primate, both in the vein of first among equals.

I have some ideas myself. These are mostly random things I've thought of.

First Citizen
Citizen Director
Citizen's Executor
Chief Magistrate
Prime Citizen
Prime Director
Prime Consul
Chief Consul
Prime Elect
Executive General
General Director
Director of the Republic (OR just Director for short)

The german word for mayor is Bürgermeister which translates to master of the citizens. So Master could be a title.
Any word which derives from dux like doge could also become the word for leader. I also think that elective monarchys could develop into republics without changing the ruler title like the commonwealth.

The german word for mayor is Bürgermeister which translates to master of the citizens. So Master could be a title.
Any word which derives from dux like doge could also become the word for leader. I also think that elective monarchys could develop into republics without changing the ruler title like the commonwealth.

Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. Any word meaning leader could become a republican title, although afaik only the republic of Ireland does it for thier prime minister (Taoiseach).

BigBlueBox

Banned
Yes, if the English Commonwealth i.e. Republic had survived, then we'd likely still have a Lord Protector, especially as it would have been, at any rate in the early years, dominated by the aristocracy.

But Consul has a nice Roman ring to it. Perhaps First Consul and Second Consul instead of President and Vice President?
Cromwell passed the position down to his son, so in practice the Commonwealth was a hereditary monarchy.