Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Since I have kind of reached a dead end with this for various reasons, this is the final version before i maybe try and redo this whole thing.

Any of y'all remember this? Well I un-terrformed everything I could (and updated Triton's topography).

The only bits that remain terraformed are the asteroid cylinders and Jupiter's four large moons.

I look forward to seeing anything that can use this.

Edit: Removed terraformed (habiat-iformed?) asteroids, un-terrafromed Io and Europa

Edit 2: Removed empty Trojans category, un-terraformed Ganymede, cleaned up orbit maps

Edit 3: Changed lots of colors, darkified the background, added lots of objects, un-terraformed Callisto, removed unused Scattered Disc symbols and key. This update wouldn't have happened without Nucleep, big shoutout to him.

Edit 4: Changed the color of Titan's seas, changed the colors of Pluto and Charon, added countries and stuff to Earth using the THICC color scheme (shoutout to Tethys00 for the latter).

So... I think this is the final version.

2025.png

Oh, I also made a version that shows some present-day alliances: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551528970495983628/564036131285630976/2025_alliances.png

Last edited:
Still needs work, butt at least the major landmasses are done. Now I just need more islands, need to finish cleaning up lines, and put in more rivers and lakes.

Attachments

• WIP the world.png
    WIP the world.png
    290 KB · Views: 3,144

Isaac Beach

Banned
To Rise Into The Air And Float There

dd28gmm-75bd6adb-05bc-4fdc-8334-5a3e59860949.png

This piece is pretty self-explanatory, so I don't really need a writeup. Hey look, Isaac's finally actually made visual content rather than weird gifs and nonsense. This is a part of my 'hard sci fi' world I've just recently crafted called 'A Garden of Stars', detailing Humanity's slow and gradual spread into the surrounding stellar neighbourhood. Though I'm leading with Lalande 21185 it will remain mysterious for the broad extent of this project, as I don't want to just splurge all the mysteries and world building in one go. There's a lot more to come!

The title is a silly little misapplication of a quote by Jerome Lalande, who the system is named after. "It is entirely impossible for man to rise into the air and float there. For this you would need wings of tremendous dimensions and they would have to be moved at three feet per second. Only a fool would expect such a thing to be realized." Very whimsical.​

ST15RM

Banned
Can someone pleeeeeease tell me which ones are correct? I need to know to complete the un-terrafromed solar system map.
For Ganymede, based on this photo:
erech.jpg

erech-map.jpg

The darker regions are higher than the lighter regions, so this
ganymede2-png.334649

would be correct.

Callisto is heavily cratered, so this:
callisto3-png.334925

would be more accurate, although there probably should be land at the poles.

Callisto is heavily cratered, so this:
callisto3-png.334925

would be more accurate, although there probably should be land at the poles.

Are you sure? The other version may have had tons of craters too, it's just that the "sea level" might've been too high to show most of them.

But thanks for clarifying Ganymede.

ST15RM

Banned
Are you sure? The other version may have had tons of craters too, it's just that the "sea level" might've been too high to show most of them.

But thanks for clarifying Ganymede.
I did not find ANY elevation maps for Callisto BTW, so fair enough.

unknown.png

So I decided to modify the old Solar System map and combine a few more things from others.

All maps belong to their original creators, I just assembled them together.

EDIT:
I should really have scrolled up before putting this map here. It'd do me a bit of good.
Disclaimer: I was doing this *independent* of the project above, and did not intend to steal their idea. I'm free to collaborate, though!

Last edited:
EDIT:
I should really have scrolled up before putting this map here. It'd do me a bit of good.
Disclaimer: I was doing this *independent* of the project above, and did not intend to steal their idea. I'm free to collaborate, though!

I wouldn't worry about the similarity. And you've done a great job (at least you've solved my Callisto problem).

By the way, where did you get the interstellar map from?

Starforce

Banned
Something I am currently working on. I am hoping to do more pole shift things to other planets too. Can someone alter the moon to look like a completely different moon with a more of a red-orange tint? With these things I have a bit of trouble editing land masses and making them look right and for the Earth one and maybe make the planets look a bit different and such? I cut in a different map for the earth and turned Mars upside down.
teUgM79.png

Any of y'all remember this? Well I un-terrformed everything I could (and updated Triton's topography).

So, now I need some help. As part of another timeline, there are seven specific points I need to get highlighted, four on the moon and three on Mars, to the nearest pixel. Those locations are:

Lalande Crater

Shackleton Crater

Hinshelwood Crater

The location of Artemis in the novel Artemis, as shown below

https://i.imgur.com/BvrYTPN.jpg

The location of Project Destiny's Mars colony, as shown below
https://i.imgur.com/tgd7ZtB.jpg

The initial landing site of the Curiosity rover

The peak of Olympus Mons

I have my hands too full to do it, so I hope someone can help.

Last edited:
A map of a terraformed Trappist-1
TerraformedTrappist1.png

I don't have a full idea with it.

As for the planets

Planet B: The planet have no atmosphere and are a schorched wasteland on the day side, while the night side are dominated by vast glacier. There's human settlements on the night side on the border of the glaciers. Interesting one of the more populated worlds in the system.

Planet C: the planet are pretty much a hotter version of Venus, terrafoeming was given up, and the human presense are sky cities, who harvest the rich atmosphere.

Planet D: This planet are in theory to close to Trappist-1 to stay habitable, and was original somewhat venus like. But the human colonist succeed in terraforming it into ocean world. the human colonists dwell on floating cities. The biosphere are in general poor, thanks to the deep oceans. But aquaculture produce massive amount of food and even enrich the wild biosphere.

Planet E: the day side are home to a massive desert, while the the night side are home to massive glaciers. A small and rich (feed by the glaciers) ring ocean lies in the twilight zone and the vast majority of the population lives on the coastline of this ocean.

Planet F: Quite similar to Planet D, but the lifeless desert are far smaller, and the habitable zone reach farther into the day side. While the glaciers reach further into the twilight zone.

Planet G: An eye ball earth, dominated by a vast ocean, but it's more shallow than planet D. the planet have a very rich biosphere and the colonist dwell on floating cities.

Planet H: This planet shouldn't be habitable, but are kept habitable thanks to a dense atmosphere. Few people live on the planet.

Edit: a special thanks to @Selvetrica to have inspired the map.

Out of the 4.6 billion alternate Earths that our future technology has the capacity to identify, we have charted only 10,000 by far. One of them, #9, is particular in that that AU has not one alternate Earth, but nine. All of them orbit three K-type main sequence stars, or "orange dwarves", which puts them at an advantage over if they are orbiting three yellow suns because, as Wikpedia puts it,
they emit enough radiation in the non-UV ray spectrum[1] to provide a temperature that allows liquid water to exist on the surface of a planet; they also remain stable in the main phase longer than the Sun,[2] allowing more time for life to form on a planet around a K-type main-sequence star.[3] The planet's habitable zone, ranging from 0.1–0.4 to 0.3–1.3 astronomical units (AU),[4] depending on the size of the star, is often far enough from the star so as not to be tidally locked to the star, and to have a sufficiently low solar flare activity not to be lethal to life. In comparison, red dwarf stars have too much solar activity and quickly tidally lock the planets in their habitable zones, making them less suitable for life. The odds of intelligent life arising may be better on planets around K-type main-sequence stars than around Sun-like stars, given the extra time available for it to evolve.[citation needed] Few planets thus far have been found around K-type main-sequence stars, but those that have are potential candidates for extraterrestrial life.[2]

All of "The Nine Earths", as they end up being called, have only microbial life, but all of them are still candidates for terraforming. Since there are nine Earths, all of which orbit three stars, they have been given Norse names--Niflheim, Muspelheim, Asgard, Midgard, Jotunheim, Vanaheim, Alfhiem, Svartalfheim and Helheim--and the three stars themselves have been called Ve, Vili and, at the center of it all, Odin. However, some of them pose particular questions before we can actually explore the terraforming process:

Muspelheim
The first of the Nine Earths, Muspelheim is 13,539 miles in diameter and six times as massive as Earth. There are only trace amounts of oxygen in the atmosphere. Instead, the majority of its atmosphere is a combination of carbon dioxide and methane. There is still liquid water, but the ocean system is just Grand Prismatic Spring on a global macrocosm. Obviously inhospitable to complex life, so we've decided to start off the colonization process with cyanobacteria, single-celled organisms that absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen as a waste product. But could cyanobacteria even thrive on such a planet?

Alfhiem and Svartalfheim
Alfhiem and Svartalfhiem spin around each other at such a distance that they are not tidally locked. Both spin at a rotation of 36 hours, but Alfhiem has 30 hours of that rotation being daylight and Svartalfhiem has only six hours of that rotation being daylight. What makes this really odd is that these daylight lengths are apparent in the equator. Is this sort of axial tilt possible?

Jotunheim
This is the largest of the Nine Earths, four times the width and 12 times the mass of our Earth. How would the size of the planet affect its gravity?

I don't see why they're necessarily each Earths, especially because they have different diameters and masses.

I don't see why they're necessarily each Earths, especially because they have different diameters and masses.

If they haven't been inhabited in the original Norse mythology, then they wouldn't be Earths. But all of them HAVE been inhabited, so that makes it a challenge worth trying.