In this country , it is good to kill an admiral from time to time

Well, talk about a change in path :eek:
Also, Finally Empire! How did the people in the colonies take it?

Glory to the Empress! Long may she reign!
And yes, France finally stopped the pretense and made official what was de jure becoming the new reality.

Elated? A sovereign tends to distribute power more fairly then a elected base. I should think that the army is backing her 100 percent as well sooo...

Lesson number one of the good Empress: if you want the support of the army, take their side when the choice is between them and the politicians.

Looks like they took it well. The Empress promised them representation and fund and acknowledges their sacrifice.

Yep. It's always pleasant to have your contribution to the grand conquests of the World War recognised as some stayed behind and made a bureaucratic mess in the main cities of the Empire.

It has the merit to make the title of emperor of Saxony a joke by contrast. Except, an emperor or empress can also be define as king of kings, will you create kings/queens as vassals of the Empire? It would be hilarious to have a king of Italy for Northern Italy but it is probably too soon for this region and the rest of the continent would probably take that as a foreshadowing message.

I also think it was an unavoidable evolution, still I hope the "provincial/regional/continental" assembly everywhere else in the empire also gain more autonomy, at least on some point like the heavy infrastructures (you know the building of new harbor or their extension, same for the railroads, etc) for those that have proven their loyalty without a doubt.

I am surprised the crown prince didn't have children, it seems he was old enough. Also, Charlotte seems to be a proactive ruler who want order and luckily for her, she has millions soldiers the politicians tried to f***, beating on the too greedy businessmen is also always popular. Louisiana has better not make too many waves, Italy had just shown why this is bad idea right now. As long as she doesn't make mistake like OTL Napoleon III after his own referendum.

For the moment, I am also surprised that people seems calm, I mean no strike, no claiming, no upheaval? (except Holy Spain but really after so much fighting, it was inevitable for a country with so much problems even before the first shoot was fired) Angola and Mozambique are probably still in the empire of Portugal because they are afraid of their southern neighbor, nevertheless, it is becoming too obvious for the status quo.

Still no sign of a proto-ONU, I don't know why but I can't help imaging the ONU in the Balearic, maybe Palma, Ibiza would be too much, the diplomats would never work!:cool::biggrin:

No Eu, but you do have direct rule from Paris. Let that sweet efficiency flow true and let the world tremble under the French behemoth. There also should be some massive Empire industrial projects. I’m thinking massive road networks in America,India and Egypt along with establishing trading docks. France has a global Empire, now it’s time to get filthy, filthy rich from that.

Still, I’m curious on how the Spanish will now deal with a more headstrong monarchy. Or even if the new Spanish Monarchy can even centralize (probably depending on if there’s any French “assistance”).

No Eu, but you do have direct rule from Paris. Let that sweet efficiency flow true and let the world tremble under the French behemoth. There also should be some massive Empire industrial projects. I’m thinking massive road networks in America,India and Egypt along with establishing trading docks. France has a global Empire, now it’s time to get filthy, filthy rich from that.

Still, I’m curious on how the Spanish will now deal with a more headstrong monarchy. Or even if the new Spanish Monarchy can even centralize (probably depending on if there’s any French “assistance”).

The world look at France new monarch, and simultaneously think « ...What if France become an agressive nation in its foreign policy? »
Worldwide panic ensue.

It has the merit to make the title of emperor of Saxony a joke by contrast. Except, an emperor or empress can also be define as king of kings, will you create kings/queens as vassals of the Empire? It would be hilarious to have a king of Italy for Northern Italy but it is probably too soon for this region and the rest of the continent would probably take that as a foreshadowing message.

I also think it was an unavoidable evolution, still I hope the "provincial/regional/continental" assembly everywhere else in the empire also gain more autonomy, at least on some point like the heavy infrastructures (you know the building of new harbor or their extension, same for the railroads, etc) for those that have proven their loyalty without a doubt.

I am surprised the crown prince didn't have children, it seems he was old enough. Also, Charlotte seems to be a proactive ruler who want order and luckily for her, she has millions soldiers the politicians tried to f***, beating on the too greedy businessmen is also always popular. Louisiana has better not make too many waves, Italy had just shown why this is bad idea right now. As long as she doesn't make mistake like OTL Napoleon III after his own referendum.

For the moment, I am also surprised that people seems calm, I mean no strike, no claiming, no upheaval? (except Holy Spain but really after so much fighting, it was inevitable for a country with so much problems even before the first shoot was fired) Angola and Mozambique are probably still in the empire of Portugal because they are afraid of their southern neighbor, nevertheless, it is becoming too obvious for the status quo.

Still no sign of a proto-ONU, I don't know why but I can't help imaging the ONU in the Balearic, maybe Palma, Ibiza would be too much, the diplomats would never work!:cool::biggrin:

Yeah. Though there were already several mockeries when the first 'Saxon Emperor' was crowned, using the justification they were the true heirs of the Holy Roman Empire.
Hmm...no, no kings and queens. There are many Great Dukes/Great Duchesses and plenty of Princes and local high nobles (especially in India) but no king or queen save the reigning monarch.

It will certainly happen, yes. Of course it's going to be progressive, as technology and advancements make the oceans and seas seprating the Empire not so much the obstacle they are now.

The Crown Prince was married, but unfortunately there were several miscarriages and there were plenty of rumours at least one in the couple was sterile.
No, Charlotte is not Napoleon III...well, she will make mistakes, she is only human, but she isn't going to launch an invasion of the UPNG and New Spain just for her ego.

A proto-ONU could have been in the works if the Entente had last a few more years. But unfortunately it didn't and the world is still without a world organisation.
Ah Ibiza...:cool:

That's the spirit!

Certain Spanish nobles and members of the rising middle classes will not like dealing with a headstrong Spanish monarchy...and the solutions can't be stopped at just 'centralisation'.

The world look at France new monarch, and simultaneously think « ...What if France become an agressive nation in its foreign policy? »
Worldwide panic ensue.

Yes, it's a bit frightening ;).

That said, for the moment people in the UPNG and other Entente-opposing nations are more concerned by Russia...the tsarina has already used the iron fist far more than the French Empress.

Princes and local high nobles (especially in India)

Speaking of, how well did Indian nobility integrate into French nobility?

That said, for the moment people in the UPNG and other Entente-opposing nations are more concerned by Russia...the tsarina has already used the iron fist far more than the French Empress.

Well yeah, but for all of Russia Strength, The French Empire has significant presence on every continent, that make the threat a bit more real for everyone :p

I think France will enter the equivalent of the OTL Roaring 20's. Maybe Russia will also have an economic boom? Did Russia remove serfdom by 1905?
Unlike France, Russia doesn’t have the educated population necessary to do so. Furthermore, most of its armed forces are going to be putting down rebellions everywhere. As such, Russia doesn’t have the money or manpower necessary for large civilian infrastructure programs (most of them are still uneducated peasants).

Well, here’s hoping that technology becomes about 10-30 years ahead of OTL as time goes by. Seeing some WW2 tier tanks (even if they are 1939 level light tanks) in the 1910’s would be fun!

Speaking of, how well did Indian nobility integrate into French nobility?

Well yeah, but for all of Russia Strength, The French Empire has significant presence on every continent, that make the threat a bit more real for everyone :p

It was interesting...and complicated. Especially when the reforms of the end of the eighteenth century arrived.
Still, overall a majority of the maradjahs and princes have been loyal since...and this makes for colourful nobility meetings when they visit Alexandria, Paris and other important cities.

Yes, of course. Still, for a lot of Asians, the Russians are the threat you have to watch with one eye (the other eye being reserved for the French just in case).

I think France will enter the equivalent of the OTL Roaring 20's. Maybe Russia will also have an economic boom? Did Russia remove serfdom by 1905?

IIRC it did that even earlier than in OTL.

Yes, serfdom has been officially abolished in Russia. Nevertheless conditions of life for Russian peasants are not what everyone would qualify as good. Most people in Central and Western Europe would revolt if treated like that by their employers.

Unlike France, Russia doesn’t have the educated population necessary to do so. Furthermore, most of its armed forces are going to be putting down rebellions everywhere. As such, Russia doesn’t have the money or manpower necessary for large civilian infrastructure programs (most of them are still uneducated peasants).

Oh, there will be an economic boom...the problem is that Russia was already badly lagging behind before the Great War, so any improvement between Saint Petersburg and Moscow is not going to be impressive for foreign observers. Add to the fact that yes, there is a lot of rebellions to put down and that the eastern part of the empire is under-developped compared to the west, and Russia is going to have economic difficulties.

Well, here’s hoping that technology becomes about 10-30 years ahead of OTL as time goes by. Seeing some WW2 tier tanks (even if they are 1939 level light tanks) in the 1910’s would be fun!

The end of the war saw the introduction of prototype armoured cars, so early tanks are definitely possible in the early 1910s.

It was interesting...and complicated. Especially when the reforms of the end of the eighteenth century arrived.
Still, overall a majority of the maradjahs and princes have been loyal since...and this makes for colourful nobility meetings when they visit Alexandria, Paris and other important cities.

Yes, of course. Still, for a lot of Asians, the Russians are the threat you have to watch with one eye (the other eye being reserved for the French just in case).

Yes, serfdom has been officially abolished in Russia. Nevertheless conditions of life for Russian peasants are not what everyone would qualify as good. Most people in Central and Western Europe would revolt if treated like that by their employers.

Oh, there will be an economic boom...the problem is that Russia was already badly lagging behind before the Great War, so any improvement between Saint Petersburg and Moscow is not going to be impressive for foreign observers. Add to the fact that yes, there is a lot of rebellions to put down and that the eastern part of the empire is under-developped compared to the west, and Russia is going to have economic difficulties.

The end of the war saw the introduction of prototype armoured cars, so early tanks are definitely possible in the early 1910s.
Hey Antony, have you ever considered making a HOI4 mod of this? I would play that so much.

I must sadly admit I have never played the game, so make a mod of it, well, let's jsut said I would have a few difficulties...:oops:
It's a pretty good game, especially with all the alternate history mods. There is Kaiserreich (Germany wins WW1), Apres Moi le Deluge (Napoleon wins), a game of thrones mod, In the Name of the Tsar (Russia wins in WW1 due to a successful Brusilov Offensive), a WW1 mod, Frederick's Nightmare (France wins the 7 Years War), and others. There is also the normal mod-less game which is a WW2 game.

Also, how many genuine democracies are in the world in this timeline? The only one I know is the UPNG.

So how’s Japan doing? They came out this war one of the biggest winners. Not only did they unify all of Japan, they also got half of Korea for basically free. Furthermore, they’re still part of the Entente, giving them access to the French market. That’s some massive potential for a industry and population boom.

It's a pretty good game, especially with all the alternate history mods. There is Kaiserreich (Germany wins WW1), Apres Moi le Deluge (Napoleon wins), a game of thrones mod, In the Name of the Tsar (Russia wins in WW1 due to a successful Brusilov Offensive), a WW1 mod, Frederick's Nightmare (France wins the 7 Years War), and others. There is also the normal mod-less game which is a WW2 game.

Also, how many genuine democracies are in the world in this timeline? The only one I know is the UPNG.

Duly noted. I will...consider purchasing it in the next summer steam sales if I don't flash on anything more interesting.

There are plenty, though the UPNG is the only first-class power. The Republic of the Carolinas, the Republic of California, the Republic of Ireland, the Republic of Chile...those are all democracies, though of course like every type of political system they have their share of issues.

So how’s Japan doing? They came out this war one of the biggest winners. Not only did they unify all of Japan, they also got half of Korea for basically free. Furthermore, they’re still part of the Entente, giving them access to the French market. That’s some massive potential for a industry and population boom.

Hmmm..fairly good. Unlike China, the reunification was done in a fashion which didn't make the other side a war-torn wasteland and as you said they added more lands without bleeding their armies white. Unlike China, they also have no anti-foreigner policy, making them a very important hub for expensive finished goods. Add to this France doesn't consider them a problem because French interests in eastern Asia have significantly decreased, and Japan can be a valuable partner for the Bourbons.

I can very well see France "uses" (not really the correct word but the best approaching one in my limited vocabulary) Japan to control the Pacific.
Carolinas and UPNG can't really concentrate on the Pacific in case of war because France obviously will NOT let a good and proven ally (with even greater potential) be assaulted. Carolinas really doesn't have the best strategic position right now. Sure, they have colonies but they are far, very far and France is so very close of both their mainland and of their colonies. UPNG is better off but because of his short-time policies, it is isolated on the diplomatic stage. Without China and Carolinas in no position to contest France, their own colonies are also very exposed. California isn't really a heavy hitter and in a very similar position as Carolinas.

In fact, France is less isolated than I first thought because all the others are more or less in the same situation or worse. Spain is on the verge of collapsing, Russia is also very busy inside his frontiers, the losers of the Great War can't stand each other or when they can, their situation isn't that positive either.
All France has to do to conserve her supremacy and peace (at least for her and allies) is to reinforced England and Japan, to maintain Ireland and Bengal in good condition. Ethiopia and Madagascar need to prove themselves trustworthy but a good look at history should show the advantages of being France's ally. Sure, France still need to "digest" her conquest but this is not her first time doing it, so it should go smoother than for others. A-H can probably be assured that France is not its enemy and really the Bear is more terrifying, no? Poland is probably obsessed by Russia and reconquering the Grand Duchy of Poland.

Really, if the Empress doesn't make major mistakes, her reign should be one of confirmed supremacy and consolidation of said supremacy in all domains: economy, sciences, culture, social, military, wealth, infrastructure and health. The major danger is arrogance.

New Iberian Troubles? (The Iberian Peninsula 1906-1910)

To say the return to peace was difficult for the Holy Empire of Spain and the Kingdom of Portugal was somewhat difficult was a large understatement. Both governments were of course declared victory the next day after the peace treaty was signed and paid large sums to the newspapers and the information means they didn’t control to ensure their version of events was the correct one.

In the ‘liberated’ lands of Portugal, the new King Luis IV and his ministers had not a lot of successes convincing the population of this victory. That was, in part, due to the fact they weren’t that many Portuguese citizens in several cities. Not because of the Spanish massacres, though these had played a role in the mind of the lower classes. No, the real reason there weren’t that many Portuguese anymore...they were leaving. A majority of the men and women departing were now deathly afraid of a resumption of hostilities between their country and Spain, and they wanted to get out before the next war began and they were forced to learn to speak Spanish. It was obvious the ‘Portuguese victory’ had been bought with English lives, foreign volunteers, English weapons and French political assistance. If those things had not been there to help Luis III, everybody agreed annexation would have been unavoidable.

Thus Portuguese workers, bourgeois and merchants who had lived for centuries at Porto, Lisbon or in the lands of the Crown of Portugal left, much like the Dutch had once done decades ago for Batavia. Thousands crossed the Atlantic to find a new life in Brazil or tie their futures to those of distant cousins, but they were definitely a minority. Easily thrice or four times these numbers went to the last colonies of Portugal, Angola and Mozambique. It would be there they would rebuild their fortunes, away from delusional Kings and world-shattering European wars.

Luis IV, as a result, inherited a country which was in dire economic condition and there was little sign of improvement. Worse, the population was less and less Portuguese. Many adventurers and volunteers, seeing the local population sell everything and leave before 1906 or 1907 was out, decided it was a good idea to buy. Consequently, the plains and the hills of the Iberian Peninsula saw English, Irish or German-speakers arrive and settle in these war-torn areas, often at prices they couldn’t have afforded in their country of birth.

And these new dwellers were not exactly satisfied by the political and administrative state of things in Portugal. To make it worse from a monarch’s perspective, the army of Portugal was for all intent and purposes an extinct species. People who fled to other continents included a large proportion of soldiers, who had not appreciated being forced to fight a horde of fanatic Spanish. As such, Luis was forced to rely on the diminished English garrisons if there were problems...and the loyalty of his troops to him was somehow questionable. As such, the nobility lost most of its remaining privileges, the Cortes was remodelled to serve as a genuine Parliament with vote for those citizens who paid some low-level amount of taxes and the power of the legislative branch was significantly reinforced despite several ministers fighting tooth and nail against it. By 1910, Portugal was a parliamentary monarchy in all but name...time would tell if it was enough to satisfy the electors.

The Holy Empire of Spain was in a somewhat better situation at the end of the war. True, it had lost far more soldiers than Portugal, but in a way it was the excess of war veterans who had caused problems to the stability of the Empire and now thousands of them were dead. Furthermore, the fighting –with the exception of the coup of Duke Cadiz – had been done in foreign territory and on this point the peace conditions were eminently satisfying: paying reparations was embarrassing, but it beat rebuilding a country where everyone hated the Spanish-speaking people. Isabella III, thanks to the diplomatic support of France, was at last able to push for reforms removing the great nobles of the sensitive positions of power. Administration tests and land grants to the loyal regiments introduced at last some measure of meritocracy in the Spanish internal affairs and the grumblings were much reduced. For those who thought a new rebellion was necessary, there were ships ready to take them to South America where they would enjoy building new roads and bridges. Isabella III wanted to make Southern Andalusia an indivisible part of the Spanish realm, and wanted to increase the percentage of Spanish-speaking population in the newly conquered territories. Southern America, by contrast, had yet to mobilise when the English Crown officially buried the war hatchet.

The years which followed were a sense of artistic and architectural renewal for Spain, though it was a melancholic one, after the losses of an entire generation to the Great War and the recent Iberian War (Portuguese-Spanish-English War didn’t sound particularly good). The middle-classes profited extremely well from the disgrace of the high nobility, and while the Spanish industrial sector remained very limited, it grew rapidly as Madrid exported fruits, wine, iron and new textiles all over the Mediterranean. But the Holy Empire remained an absolute monarchy with an omnipresent church, and it had not only its good points...

Slow recovery, but the rot remains. Instead of great nobles controlling everything, the Church does. And while the Church is placated for now, they will eventually clash with the monarch for power.

Furthermore, the newly empowered middle class won’t be seeing any large increases in growth. All education is still under the preview of the Church and you can expect varying competence. As such, the middle clash will soon stagnate as monopolies come to fruition without much competition.

As for Portugal, well we all saw this coming. However, I didn’t expect the English (and minor entrepreneurial Germans) to make investments into Portugal. Or the sheer amount of immigrants leaving Portugal. Hmmmm...