Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that Shrek is made ITTL, might I suggest a fourth phase where 2D returns to the fold due to a bad reputation surrounding CGI films?
Shrek will not be made ITTL, though there is a similarly sarcastic take on fairytales coming up in Disney's animated pipeline. Dreamworks also won't even be founded.

Hopefully, he'll not be a dickhead ITTL.
He won't be a dickhead, due to some mentorship at the hands of Walt. Similarly, George Lucas' eccentricities of the OTL Prequel Trilogy/Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, as well as his general failings as a filmmaker, are butterflied due to his close relationship with Walt.

I have a good question. How many shows, both acquired and original, have been on The Disney Channel as of February 1980? And does Walt plan on entering syndication for his programs at any point?

I have a good question. How many shows, both acquired and original, have been on The Disney Channel as of February 1980? And does Walt plan on entering syndication for his programs at any point?
Right now, TDS has essentially been coasting along on its original lineup, with Star Wars: The Animated Series drawing the most viewers (it's one of the most popular TV shows of the 1980s) and the other shows and Disney's huge backcatalog of movies and cartoons filling in the rest of the time. I'll be doing a post come 1981 looking at the new shows that debut on the channel between 1979 and 1981, so hold your horses for specifics.

So, will Sony enter the film business?
Did Superman even come out?
Has HBO launched yet?

Sony's entry is still up in the air at the moment.

Superman did indeed come out, and did as well as OTL. For the duration of the 1980s, if I don't explicitly mention a movie or TV show or video game or something, just assume that it exists.

HBO also launched the same time as IOTL, seeing as it began broadcasting in 1972 and none of my butterflies could have touched it yet.

Sony's entry is still up in the air at the moment.

Superman did indeed come out, and did as well as OTL. For the duration of the 1980s, if I don't explicitly mention a movie or TV show or video game or something, just assume that it exists.

HBO also launched the same time as IOTL, seeing as it began broadcasting in 1972 and none of my butterflies could have touched it yet.
Speaking of HBO, is it possible that the Time-Warner merger was butterflied ITTL, remaining separate companies?

I liked Shrek too. But not the way to affected animation in the long run.
I think people overblow that...you could say Toy Story doomed 2D with the same arguments that shrek too

I like Shrek a lot, in fact I'd venture to say that the first and second movies in the franchise are some of the best animated movies ever made, period. They do a nice job of picking apart and mocking Disney and its more traditional fairytale style, and opened the doors for more animated movies, including Disney's, to use more subversion and humor as storytelling techniques.

The true crime of Shrek has nothing to do with the movie itself, but what it did to the animation industry. These days, we get garbage movies every single year from terrible studios like Illumination, Dreamworks, and Sony Pictures Animation (harbingers of Despicable Me 3, Shrek 4, and The Emoji Movie), movies that lean upon Shrek's trademark crude humor far too often, a style that only worked then because Shrek is an ogre and Dreamworks was making a caricature of Disney animated movies, which would never dare to be crude. It makes sense then, but why are there constant poop jokes in stuff like The Secret Life of Pets?

Speaking of HBO, is it possible that the Time-Warner merger was butterflied ITTL, remaining separate companies?
Considering TimeWarner didn't form until 1990, there is a good chance butterflies will make exactly what you want come true.

The true crime of Shrek has nothing to do with the movie itself, but what it did to the animation industry. These days, we get garbage movies every single year from terrible studios like Illumination, Dreamworks, and Sony Pictures Animation (harbingers of Despicable Me 3, Shrek 4, and The Emoji Movie), movies that lean upon Shrek's trademark crude humor far too often, a style that only worked then because Shrek is an ogre and Dreamworks was making a caricature of Disney animated movies, which would never dare to be crude. It makes sense then, but why are there constant poop jokes in stuff like The Secret Life of Pets?
My point exactly. That said, I'd say later Dreamworks and Sony are worse offenders than Illumination.

Considering TimeWarner didn't form until 1990, there is a good chance butterflies will make exactly what you want come true.
That might means trouble for HBO, with timewarner they got cheap movies and the fund for their series too

I have a sports related question: Is anyrhing going to butterfly anaheim sports (the owners of the mighty ducks) or disney wide world of sports (home of the orlando city soccer club from 2010-2014)?

I have a sports related question: Is anyrhing going to butterfly anaheim sports (the owners of the mighty ducks) or disney wide world of sports (home of the orlando city soccer club from 2010-2014)?
I'm not gonna say anything about Anaheim sports yet, but the ESPN Wide World of Sports Center is definitely butterflied, as are the purchases of ESPN and ABC, two events that went down under Michael Eisner's tenure. No Eisner at Disney equals no ESPN or ABC.

Status
Not open for further replies.