The Footprint of Mussolini - TL

Nice chapter there.

And there was me hoping a ‘South China’ Republic might survive...

A Taiwan ally of Italy may be more useful - from Rome's point of course.

On the other side, relations between the PRC and Italy would be horrible. Albeit who knows if very much more ahead the Italian leadership would pull a Nixon and normalizing relations with Beijing.

Though in the future if China become less ideological and becoming more like OTL PRC I could see relation improving.

No one will bat an eye on another authoritarian regime.

Though in the future if China become less ideological and becoming more like OTL PRC I could see relation improving.

No one will bat an eye on another authoritarian regime.

Well if China will become fully red more of less at the same time in OTL, so in early fall of 1948, this will invest the USA elections like a boulder. Wallace could already concede before November at this point.

The matter is this PRC won't be in a good situation. Why? A red united Korea for first. With a Kim decisively loyal to Stalin and an unvaluable powerbase in terms of resources and manpower. And we can be sure Korea, after the initial congratulations and the hope of a pan asian red march, won't see China as a friend forever.

Heh I would bet a Korean war will happen between China and Korea at some point...

About the ideology matter. Well we need to remind the Chinese debated over this after the unification in ways and methods so deep the Soviets never dared, and after twenty years we all know where this tormented debate leaded. It would happen because it is in the genetic nature of Maoist age CCP.

Besides...what happened in Poland are not good news for China. Stalin just showed how to put in line who would dare to defy the USSR in its own background. The Chinese can't know the Union won't have the capacity to build a large arsenal but may soon be aware that Stalin will treat China as a protectorate... the good news are that a Red Tsar level devastation on China won't surely happen. But between 1948 and 1953 are still five years and much may happen between USSR and PRC. And more after 1953.

I just want to confirm something. I deliberately wrote that last section to obscure South China’s fate. Of course, a handful of Italians alone couldn’t save the ROC, but that leaves open many possibilities for the future.

I feel like Italian alone don’t have enough power projection as of yet to do anything in Asia. Maybe have it be a little RA team building exercise?

I just want to confirm something. I deliberately wrote that last section to obscure South China’s fate. Of course, a handful of Italians alone couldn’t save the ROC, but that leaves open many possibilities for the future.
The Italians give time.
Perhaps enough time for a US election.

I wonder how Gandhi and the Indian independentist reacted to Poland and Warsaw...

Now that sounds interesting. Perhaps the Chinese War could become TTL's Vietnam War?
I dunno, the Chinese are a lot more divided in their support compared to Vietnam, and Nationalist China isn’t a propped up regime; they fought and won what was basically a war of survival against Japan.
More like OTL Korean war, but with a lot more bloodshed.

Last edited:
Imagine the Red Scare that really started in OTL after "losing China" and combine that with the category 9 shitstorm coming for Wallace and Italy will have a big feather in it's anticommunist hat. People will say that at least the Italians tried to do something.

Ultimately, this alone would never have been enough to save Chiang, or South China, but most historians acknowledge that if it weren’t for Italy’s early intervention (even then limited due to Italy’s involvement in the First Arabian War), the Chinese War would have ended as soon as it began.

I was going to comment; that 'alone' in the above sentence seems to give hope that something stable comes out of China.

The Italians give time.
Perhaps enough time for a US election.

Indeed. Patton's first moves as Mr Prez being a direct counter to a Wallace-blunder which can still be overturned just in the nick of time sounds good.

I wonder how Gandhi and the Indian independentist reacted to Poland and Warsaw...

Come on, we know how Gandhi feels about nukes.

First, I just wanted to say I read your TL from Page 1 over the last couple weeks and couldn't put it down! Incredible work!

I'm also eager to see just how TTL Mussolini and Chiang's personalities mesh or clash in the years to come!

Well Italy will get brownie points for fighting Japan and helping China liberate part of its territory. Did Mussolini's aid in the White Terror extend to the mainland?

So how big is Fort Mussolini, and where is it located on Taiwan?

This is likely the tone we will see for Italy in Asia during the Cold War. No formal colonies but bases and aid for local allies. Italy not being able to punch in the same weight class as the Big Two may work in their factor as the other regimes may see them as more of partner than someone who will take over in all but name.