Return of Horrible Educational Maps

UK: "Sorry chaps, it was nice while it lasted, but we chose to do a Brexit."
EU: "Hey, listen to that, the Belgian peninsula says funny stuff."
UK: "What the- AAAH! It's got my Kent! Help! Help!"
EU: "Shh! Relax, it will be over soon."

Meanwhile in Denmark: "Dude, where's my Kopenhagen?"

That is actually the North Jutlandic Island. You know. The thing normally at the top of mainland Denmark.

After the disappearance of the other Danish isles it could drift into the Baltic to finally fulfill its destiny: being a land bridge between Sweden and Germany.

Pic unrelated (although it admittedly also omits the Danish islands)

badishmpolar50a.jpg

After the disappearance of the other Danish isles it could drift into the Baltic to finally fulfill its destiny: being a land bridge between Sweden and Germany.

Pic unrelated (although it admittedly also omits the Danish islands)

View attachment 461745
No it doesn't. See? They are right where Svalbard use to be. Yes, Legoland is going to be rather less appealing for tourists.

If you don't quite want truly horrible educational maps, then figures in scientific papers offer plenty of only mildly wrong alternatives (e.g. no South Sudan in maps post 2011 is a common slip up). Most of the time when reading scientific papers I'll see a minor mapp inaccuracy, chuckle, then move on. In this paper however I couldn't help noticing the unconventional choice of what borders to show;
F1.large.jpg

So, we have a big space-filling Central Asia, re-unified Austria-Hungary, giant union of (mostly) francophone central Africa and someone definitely won the Chaco war, though you can't really tell who. Oh, and, apparently the North American great lakes are now buffer states between the US and Canada, and Azerbaijan has annexed Armenia (which will not end well).

I mean, I know its just meant to show countries with a coastline (and even then it isn't perfect - notice the omission of the DRC that does have an (admittedly small) coast), but they could at least show borders between landlocked states for clarity. Otherwise it just looks like a load of random space-filling empires have been created from nowhere. Not the worst map on the thread, but definitely bad.

Original paper here;
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/347/6223/768.full

If you don't quite want truly horrible educational maps, then figures in scientific papers offer plenty of only mildly wrong alternatives (e.g. no South Sudan in maps post 2011 is a common slip up). Most of the time when reading scientific papers I'll see a minor mapp inaccuracy, chuckle, then move on. In this paper however I couldn't help noticing the unconventional choice of what borders to show.

Original paper here;
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/347/6223/768.full
While I know Bosnia does have a coastline, I am surprised they were not in the very lightest of yellows. Then again, the map is about plastic waste that is available. Perhaps this assumes Sarajevo trucks everything to the Dalmatian.