Tellurus: a worldbuilding project

What color scheme should Tellurus use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure if this is at all what you had planned or already in mind, but I decided to try my hand at a broad (mostly guesswork) map of the Avardo-Hataran settlements over time.

Edit: Added more estimated settlements in Avarda. Also changed the time frames of the supposed settlements.
nice work, its pretty similar to what i had in mind. The language maps on the last few pages should help as well.

What would be the best year of my timeline to make a B Munro-esque type map with annotations and a key?
EDIT: I've decided on 3020 AF and will be posting it on the map thread soon.

Last edited:
I don't think i've posted this recently but here's the latest names map.
Rivers names will have their own map.
WARNING:HUGE PICTURE
plNiWoN.png

Lands of Red and Gold by Jared. You know, the native australians TL that is considered to be one of the forum's trifecta of greatness along with Malê Rising and LttW?

What's LttW?
Look to the West, by Thande. I think its one of the longest running TL's on the thread, at least that's still being written. Basically a different relationship between the american colonies and Britain, spinning out into a south american US equivalent, a much messier series of 19th century revolutionary wars, leading to a world with very different ideological divisions and technology along the obvious global political differences.

It's long but definitely worth checking out.

Look to the West, by Thande. I think its one of the longest running TL's on the thread, at least that's still being written. Basically a different relationship between the american colonies and Britain, spinning out into a south american US equivalent, a much messier series of 19th century revolutionary wars, leading to a world with very different ideological divisions and technology along the obvious global political differences.

It's long but definitely worth checking out.
Ok, great I think I'll check it out. Thanks for replying.

Anyone have any question? Any country you would want to know more about? It would help me flesh this timeline out more.

What's in store for Hatar? Should we expect a Tyhrrian Empire like Rome? If so, do you have any idea what its successor states might look like?

I'm also curious about the trade connection with Calixum. If Tellurus has some sort of "Tavaric Exchange" this early on, that would have big implications for the countries around the Thalmedic Sea, wouldn't it?

Anyone have any question? Any country you would want to know more about? It would help me flesh this timeline out more.
Now that you commented, Tyhrrus is called a Kingdom, so it will, unlike Rome, be an empire both in name and de facto from the start or we'll see some change in government soon? And also, Serica is going to follow China's path of cycles of dynasties or we'll see dynasties ruling for a longer amount of time? Oh, and how much time until Unia becomes Tellurus' Japan?

I have so many questions, but I'll try to go with the most pressing in my mind.
Like stated above, I'd love to know if Tyhrrus is supposed to be analogous to OTL Rome.
Do you have any cultural/ethnic analogies to OTL Celtics?
Qarnenak, Sophon, and Nedumi; Are they ethnically/culturally similar to Tyrrhians or are they a separate ethnic/culture group?
Who were/are the Dursini? What are they like?
What are your plans for areas like Thule and Yseia? Who do you think will come to rule in those lands?
Are there any ethnic/cultural analogies to Levantine semitic peoples?
What are your plans for future colonization attempts into Talamor?
And finally, what are your intentions for the Germanic analogies? Will they be invaders from the west or did you have something else in mind?

No need to answer everything all at once, I'm just excited to see what you're planning on doing in general.

Thanks to everyone that responded, it helps me greatly in figuring out this timeline.
What's in store for Hatar? Should we expect a Tyhrrian Empire like Rome? If so, do you have any idea what its successor states might look like?

I'm also curious about the trade connection with Calixum. If Tellurus has some sort of "Tavaric Exchange" this early on, that would have big implications for the countries around the Thalmedic Sea, wouldn't it?

Tyhrrus is definitely my version of Rome, and it will have an empire eventually. It's successor states will be different from real life, however.
The trading exchange between Ozara and Rhodin is very old, going back to the Kingdom of Yamat (Ancient Calixum) times. Similar climates and fauna will lessen most negative effects of the exchange.

Now that you commented, Tyhrrus is called a Kingdom, so it will, unlike Rome, be an empire both in name and de facto from the start or we'll see some change in government soon? And also, Serica is going to follow China's path of cycles of dynasties or we'll see dynasties ruling for a longer amount of time? Oh, and how much time until Unia becomes Tellurus' Japan?

Tyhrrus had a brief but unsuccessful attempt at republicanism, and it won't be the last. It will go through some type of transition to become an Empire.
Serica will have periods of stable, long-lasting dynasties, and eras of dysfunctional, short-lived ones/balkanism.
Eventful things will start happening in Unia in several centuries time, and they will be somewhat similar to Japan.

I have so many questions, but I'll try to go with the most pressing in my mind.
Like stated above, I'd love to know if Tyhrrus is supposed to be analogous to OTL Rome.
Do you have any cultural/ethnic analogies to OTL Celtics?
Qarnenak, Sophon, and Nedumi; Are they ethnically/culturally similar to Tyrrhians or are they a separate ethnic/culture group?
Who were/are the Dursini? What are they like?
What are your plans for areas like Thule and Yseia? Who do you think will come to rule in those lands?
Are there any ethnic/cultural analogies to Levantine semitic peoples?
What are your plans for future colonization attempts into Talamor?
And finally, what are your intentions for the Germanic analogies? Will they be invaders from the west or did you have something else in mind?

No need to answer everything all at once, I'm just excited to see what you're planning on doing in general.

It's no big deal, I'll try to answer everything I haven't answered already.
1. Tyhrrus is like Rome, yes.
2. I do, and they will make an appearance. One in fact already has, the Lesuvroi.
3. Qarnenak was founded by Nenakian colonists in 2401 AF. The Sophoni and Nedumi are local people. If Qarnenak is analogous to Carthage, then Sophon and Nedumi are most similar to the north african peoples on the classical era.
4. The Dursini are an enigmatic people. They claim descent from a land across the southern sea (possibly descendants of the Mukanians) and have a writing style and language different from other Albalans. They were major traders with Pelasia and the rest of Hatar until their downfall to Tyhrrus, but their influence lived on.
5. Thule will come up in the timeline, but at a later date than Yseia because of their proximity to already civilized areas. Tyhrrus would be the best guess, but local people shouldn't be discredited ;)
6. Semaron is analogous to Judea, Katal to Syria, and Nenak to the Phoenicians.
7. Talamor will be discovered by at least one group of Hatarians very soon.
8. I am yet to work out the analogy for Germanic tribes but it will play a role very soon as well. They will most likely be Hatarians from the Ithan Hills area.

I'm considering changing the color scheme from SUCK to THICC and I want all your input on this.

SUCK Pros:
We're already using it

SUCK Cons:
Lacks a lot of colors, forced to use colors that don't fit often

THICC Pros:
Many colors, pretty much every nation has it's own color

THICC Cons:
May be time consuming to change every map. (only 3 a day because of rules)

If you know of another color scheme you think may be better, let me know.

I'm considering changing the color scheme from SUCK to THICC and I want all your input on this.

SUCK Pros:
We're already using it

SUCK Cons:

THICC Pros:

THICC Cons:

They both have terrible acronyms, but it's probably better to use the one that's not a TOAST3R ripoff.

ST15RM

Banned

SUCK Pros:
We're already using it

SUCK Cons:

THICC Pros:

THICC Cons:

wait till i finish SECCS

in 20 years

I think you should just stick with SUCK for simplicity's sake, but borrow colors from THICC whenever SUCK doesn't have what you're looking for.